Anyone heard of Gokarna?

11 Posts  ·  10 Users
About this group
I am leaving for my next trip tonight.. I am headed to gokarna. I have never been there before. has anyone been there before? would you lps tell ema little about the place?
Page 1 of 2

With its narrow streets, traditional houses and temples, the nondescript town of Gokarna has become the favourite haunt of Hindu pilgrims, Sanskrit scholars and beach buffs. Locals believe that Gokarna derives its name from a legend in which Lord Shiva emerged from the ear of a cow. Literally meaning ?cow?s ear,? this village is formed by the ear-shaped confluence of two rivers. Adventurous travellers must be prepared for a bit of cliff-scrambling in this coastal town. Om beach, one of Gokarna?s five famed beaches, takes the shape of an ?Om,? a spiritual symbol. The other beaches, wedged between gigantic cliffs that protrude like delicate fingers into the sea, are Gokarna, Kudle, Half Moon and Paradise. The drive up the winding path that leads to Gokarna is a scenic delight with rocky mountains and the Western Ghats on one side and the Arabian Sea on the other. Here, you can experience the famed Karnataka hospitality in friendly guesthouses run by local families.
Best season: Year-round

District:Uttara KannadaKarwar ? 60 kms.Bangalore ? 470 kms.Kumta ? 32 kms.Dabolim (Goa) ? 185 kms.STD Code:08386

Only thing i like about stone in my path is, when I cross them, they become my milestones!
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Actually gokarna is a temple town.. And the happening places are a few km away from there by the name of Om Beach and Kudli Beath. You can go there either through a diplated roadway or through the sea in a boat . These beaches are simply amazing and a haven for party animals as anything you desire is freely available

hi,,
never expected that ppl wud be talkin about "gokarna" that too in PG.sahi hai,,

it is an amazing place.. lots to do out there..
OM beach and paradise beach rock!!!

Whats the best time of the year to run down to Gokarna?

And what would be the best way to do so? bus from bangalore? How long is taht going to take?

Anyone, anything?

Deeeeeejjjjjjjj!!!!!!

cheers!!!

Don't grow up!

the beach there is called OM beam..its awsome...some of the best parties happen there..and not many go there like goa...

DJK
@DJK  ·  0 karma

My trip had to be postponed to tomorrow :oops: Too ill to go anywhere now.. Umm..saby, Its dame.. I am a female.. Looking fwd to the trip anyway..

Thanks DUDE!
:wink:

Regards
DJK

one amazing place dude....
if you go around the right time of the year...you can expect a horde of foreigners 😁 😁 ....mostly young and carefree .....you'll surely drool.....
but i hope you haunt the beaches alone and not with your parents....
will be a tremendous execise to the .....eyes

hey ,
though i have not been to gokarna (it was very near to my coll..) but frens have been there and they tell me its awesome if u are into raves and stuff....u can really really TRIP bigtime outta there on the beach the whole night....adios...

DJK
@DJK  ·  0 karma
i had been rather lugged along to gokarna once, by my parents..
aparently its the place where the unsuspecting ravana was tricked to place the shivlin on the ground by our very own smart alec ganesha 😃 . It was supposed to be very dear to the gods(Well.....this is the bottom line actually) and somebody had to trick ravana to place it on the ground and the moment he did that whoaaaaaaaa :shock: the shivling reportedly started sinking (thats what the gods wanted.....just goes to show they would rather have something sink that to give it away to a more deserving one... )

and booooy its not the end you can still have a glimpse of that thing in the etemple near the sea(100-150 mtrs from sea shore).....what else.....that's it about the place nothing else that i know of....

did this help....i doubt it........

I like beach places. I hope I have fun.. I am very excited about this..and yeah, that is a very very interesting story. I love mythological stories..

Thanks Lee!
regards
DJK

i had been rather lugged along to gokarna once, by my parents..
aparently its the place where the unsuspecting ravana was tricked to place the shivlin on the ground by our very own smart alec ganesha 😃 . It was supposed to be very dear to the gods(Well.....this is the bottom line actually) and somebody had to trick ravana to place it on the ground and the moment he did that whoaaaaaaaa :shock: the shivling reportedly started sinking (thats what the gods wanted.....just goes to show they would rather have something sink that to give it away to a more deserving one... )

and booooy its not the end you can still have a glimpse of that thing in the etemple near the sea(100-150 mtrs from sea shore).....what else.....that's it about the place nothing else that i know of....

did this help....i doubt it........