any tips for a new-born Hosteler

21 Posts  ·  21 Users
About this group
helllo all there. :grin: i am gaurav from Bhopal. i am now going to NIM, Ahmedabad. this will be the first time i'll be staying away from my home in past 21 years. i am ot at all feared but seek some advice. so...my friends, anyone......
Page 1 of 3

hey,
im gonna go to a hostel for the first time too in a month and im excited and apprehensive at the same time.
this thread makes me really look forward to the next 2years in a hostel.thanks ppl

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
MS
@MS  ·  0 karma

hey,

with a 9 + 4 = 13 years of boarding experience what i have found is hostels are loads of fun for almost all... i say almost all because their are some who are screwed by the entire batch..atleast in school and Btech level..dunno how its like in MBA but im positive its the same their!

Its important NOT to fall in that category...and whats needed for that is a will to adapt!

be ready to gel with the crowd,go a LITTLE out of the way (not too much initially or else guys will take you for granted but a little to show that you can go the extra mle if things are well between you!)....If you are an introvert make sure that you drop that thing right now...its better if you find some guys to hang out with right from the start...

Home sickness goes as soon as you become comfortable with the new crowd...and dont worry about your phone calls...your parents will be more sentimental then you :)

Food :- if you are in the 99.99 % of "gods-book-of-favour" you might gain weight.
In all certainity you will learn your best gaalis on the dining table trying to
figure out what exactly are you having...

Borrowing & Lending Stuff : Take care about your stuff but dont go overboard making lists and logs...if you are particular about your things let your friends know about it in a subtle manner beforehand....

basically its a very dynamic thing...be natural but please use your senses in the initil days...just remember "first impression is the last impression "!

Mohit

please give me some tips for a cool and cozy hostel life for two years . (now atleast for two years)

DuDe!!

On a lighter note..take care of cpl of thngs...

1. Take a room away frm bogs ( toilet)...trust me it sucks to have a room jus next to bogs...it will ensure a cool life
2. For a cosy life..call ur folks at least a cpl of weeks b4 u thnk ur money is gonna get over...
Cheers,
Mridul

To add to it,

call the parents for reasons other than money too. Otherwise they will bug for calling only when you need money

EnSoI ,
Chandoo
get used to gettin your clothes branded with your hostel room no....

makes you feel like an inmate (incidentally, that IS the term they use to refer to ya: hostel inmate! hyuck hyuck 😁 )

THAT is one of the things that kinda DEFINES hostel life..for moi atleast

inmate since 2003,
-xman-

hehe I guess that was straight from the heart. Cos xman d00d was also in the same position last year.. and hence this thread ;-)
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/pg-awards-25001145

get used to gettin your clothes branded with your hostel room no....

makes you feel like an inmate (incidentally, that IS the term they use to refer to ya: hostel inmate! hyuck hyuck 😁 )

THAT is one of the things that kinda DEFINES hostel life..for moi atleast

inmate since 2003,
-xman-

well gaurav, looks like you missed out the fun of staying in hostel during your undergrad days...

hostel is a great place to learn lot of new things - coping with people with near insane idiosyncrasies - believe me,you will find guys who wont walk bare chested in the hostel corridor or a guy combing hair every other minute!

its the place where friendships are forged for life...

there are somethings you have do yourself - like washing, cleaning your room, etc etc.. in all, its the best place to start being independent....

on the fun side, carry a BIG music system - to wake up the blokes next to your room at 6 in the morning...or for the very frequent booze parties... a camera to capture those memorable events in hostel, may be you can decorate your room with wall papers, posters of the most happening actress etc

here is a tip: keep track of what you lend - like CD's, cash, books etc...people are known to do the vanishing act and more often than not, the lender is always the Victim!!

i hope this much gyan will do for now..there are somethings you have to learn by yourself!!

Hey,

I guess the key to having a blast in hostel is to make gr8 friends.I was in the hostel for two years and was initially really homesick.But then I realised that not thinking about life back home and keeping myself really busy helped.Hostel days can be awesome fun once you've met likeminded ppl and made friends.

-Natasha

keep yourself so busy so that you never get an idea what homesickness is.

The key to a cool hostel life is adaptability. You are going to find all kinds of people in a hostel. And in a hostel, interaction will not be limited to studies/games or any one particular activity. It will be well-rounded interaction, involving every aspect of life. So one must learn to adjust to others' manners, however weird they may be (and believe me, some are really really weird )

and one also needs to get used to the freedom; keep oneself under control ;)

overall, hostel life is fun, certainly more fun than home

cheers

the freak

OK, here is some cool analysis of Hostel Life...............

presumably the best days of your life..........reasons being ......u make your own rules ...........you become more mature & responsible because u alone r responsible for your actions.......you make lifelong friends .......and I meant it ...they r the best thing that can happen to u.........last but not the least...........you develop a more balanced all round personality traits .....for example if u r basically shy or introvert, in virtaully no time u can shed all your inhibitions and ......enjoy life. And believe at the end of your term in the Institute u will shed a tear or two .......when the time of departure comes close...........so guys go out...........and cherish each moment of your Hostel life ............If u all have seen DDLJ (Jaao ji lo apni zindagi !!!!!)