All i don't want to speak about cat

9 Posts  ·  15 Users
About this group
Hi Puys, Go through this article : Unhappy students move SC PART 1 : I know that there are many deserving candidates who could have made it to the coveted IIM's specially IIM-A,B,C and just because of an arrogant and red heade...
Page 1 of 1

I m not any big gun but just wanted to tell my story.
I gave CAT 2008 without any preparation. I never joined any coaching. I did not know what is the exam pattern. I thought that it is a high scoring exam. I believed that the cut off will be somewhere around 75%. I had just filled the form and never discussed with anyone about the exam. I was busy with my project.

I gave the exam fearlessly and with a cool head. I was never expecting anythin from my results. I never checked the keys and didnt fill any forms.

The result was -
Overall - 83.37%ile
Quant - 77.xx%ile
Verbal - 65.xx%ile
LR & DI - 90.65%ile

This year I was serious about CAT. I took PTs Stusy material and joined its test series. PT was the only decent coaching institute for MBA in my city. In the mock CATs I always scored more than 90%ile. During the last 3-4 mock CATs I scored 97+ with the highest being 99.43%ile in the very last mock CAT.

Then I gave my exam. The exam went well for me. No shutdowns or technical errors. I attempted a total of 52 questions with 18 each in LR and VA and 16 in quant. Quant was the best section for me.

After months of waiting finally IIMs came out with the CAT results. My result was -
Overall - 93.4%ile
Quant - 71.62%ile
Verbal - 87.36%ile
LR & DI - 98.28%ile

Quant was the real shocker for me. It spoiled my overall %ile. U can see that without any preparation last year I scored 77 in quant but with lots of preparation I scored only 71. I took a drop this year and CAT was my biggest bet but thanks to antimetric and MIIs I landed nowhere..........

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Thanks vivek_aryantics 4 opening dis thread 2 give me a place 2 share smthn about CAT.. which i never shared ever...
i was a pretty dedicated student... n was confident 2 make it in2 premier B-skool (preferably IIM)
But wateva i had 2 do.. i had 2 do in d first shot (financial limitations l8r n some family concerns)
i appear with all enthu.. n gave my best shot...
And d result.. even though it wasnt exceptionally BAD.. but it wasnt FAIR also..
And it made many people like me.. 2 take wateva small or smaller coming dere way... :|
{And many had a lot of pain in deciding wedr 2 opt 4 a break year.. as no 1 can ever know wats gonna b d scene next year.. and d worse 2 dose who had left dere job.. n had 2 pay d penalty of being over confident bout demselves...}

i had a 99.23 %ile last year when i gave CAT just because all my friends were giving it
and this year even though i thought I did pathetic I got a 99.68 frankly the test was simpler thn GRE and definately not fair for lot of people
I will tell you guys one thing it doesnt really matter what brand you are from if you have the mettle to succeed make your institute proud and best luck

There have been so many ppl who would share the sentiments Vivek has posted here. I guess I could add to them, but i won't do tht, because quite siomply, one way or the other, it's time to move on. I think the most crucial thing is tht ppl who are planning to write CAT next yr, keep an equal focus on other exams like XAT and FMS since CAT is so unpredictable now.

And ppl who r taking up colleges this yr, let's just make sure tht we leave behind this regret of having been cheated. I am sure all of us are good and we can make it big. We can't change wht happened, but we can make use the great learning opportunity we have over the next two yrs and go on to great things. I would only say that rather than being consumed by regret and not using that chance, writing CAT would be better. At least it would give closure.

I am sorry if this post seems like a sermon, but there are emotions tht run deep for many many ppl.

Thanks guys,

This was the reason which motivated me to start this thread.

All the MBA aspirants must have an equal shot at exams like XAT,JMET,FMS,MH-CET so that they still have a chance to make it a nice brand and good B-school incase some disaster happens over CAT.

Also, IIM-A,B,C are definitely the best but it doesn't mean that XL,FMS,NITIE,IITs,SP jain,JBIMS,NITIE,MDI and IIFT etc. are not good and trust me except for few (count a total of 10 from A,B,C) most of us are going to land in similar kind of jobs from each of the top 20 B-schools.

And wherever u r , u can make it count and make the brand for yourself.

There have been so many ppl who would share the sentiments Vivek has posted here. I guess I could add to them, but i won't do tht, because quite siomply, one way or the other, it's time to move on. I think the most crucial thing is tht ppl who are planning to write CAT next yr, keep an equal focus on other exams like XAT and FMS since CAT is so unpredictable now.

And ppl who r taking up colleges this yr, let's just make sure tht we leave behind this regret of having been cheated. I am sure all of us are good and we can make it big. We can't change wht happened, but we can make use the great learning opportunity we have over the next two yrs and go on to great things. I would only say that rather than being consumed by regret and not using that chance, writing CAT would be better. At least it would give closure.

I am sorry if this post seems like a sermon, but there are emotions tht run deep for many many ppl.

i had a 99.23 %ile last year when i gave CAT just because all my friends were giving it
and this year even though i thought I did pathetic I got a 99.68 frankly the test was simpler thn GRE and definately not fair for lot of people
I will tell you guys one thing it doesnt really matter what brand you are from if you have the mettle to succeed make your institute proud and best luck

Hi Puys,

Go through this article :

Unhappy students move SC

I know that there are many deserving candidates who could have made it to the coveted IIM's specially IIM-A,B,C and just because of an arrogant and red headed CAT convener their dreams were shattered and justice remains undone.

I have been giving CAT for last 3 years and this was the time when i was prepared most and scoring constantly in Mocks and had a gr8 D-day as well only to find out that my result is not even near to what i had expected.

I know many such persons who are brilliant and deserving and had a wonderful CAT'09 but the result was not the same.

I was fully prepared for CAT and never even given a thought about other exams and even took a leave before the CAT to appear for exam with a relaxed mind.

I appeared for FMS,XAT,JMET along with CAT and while my stake was on CAT,it turned out otherwise.

CAT not only closed the gates to IIM's for me but also top B-schools like NITIE and MDI.

This was the final attempt for me for an indian full-time MBA considering the fact that i am having almost 3 years of experience and believeing that everything has a right time.I had made up my mind to take admission this year and i was too keen and well prepared to get into IIM's.

But ,CAT conveners made a real time experiment as they might be impressed with "Reality shows" on TVs these days and played with thousands of innocent and hard-working guys with less fortune.

What a JOKE it was for a so called world class institute called "INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT" ?
What a bad example of management it has set for its own students ...

And still they claim to be the BEST ........................

THIS HAPPENS ONLY IN INDIA

oh man u have revived that sore wound again....
a few days back even that pil against cat has been de-listed from delhi hc..
Yep buddy same story here....

after getting 99.22 in xat i have been given 90 percentile in cat...
after gettin 94.xx 95.xx 99.xx in xat va qa lr i have been given 95.xx 60.xx 95.xx in cat va qa lr and that to when i did 17 17 17 in all the sections i.e 51/60...

and this was my 2nd and last attempt at gettin into an iim..last time had 98 wid 99.xx 95.xx 85.xx sectionals...
...but koi baat nahi.....both of us have IITs....if not IIMs...

and the collgs name help us only in the initial yrs...
if tht wasn't the case we wud all be knowing the alma mater of the top biz leaders in the world...

of course a difference is there....but not big enuff to overpower ones' caliber and determination....

regards...
...VJS
benevolent Says
I know it was v unfair only thing that eats me now is that even if we try next year there is no guarantee that we will get our fair due ,anyway wish everyone all the v best !!

yeah , u r right buddy !

I would really appreciate if people can share their distress and anger as it would lighten their grievances.

I hope somebody can hit the CAT conveners on their head to make them realise the value and trust CAT has lost in the eyes of aspirants.

I know it was v unfair only thing that eats me now is that even if we try next year there is no guarantee that we will get our fair due ,anyway wish everyone all the v best !!

Hi Puys,

Go through this article :

Unhappy students move SC

PART 1 :

I know that there are many deserving candidates who could have made it to the coveted IIM's specially IIM-A,B,C and just because of an arrogant and red headed CAT convener their dreams were shattered and justice remains undone.

I have been giving CAT for last 3 years and this was the time when i was prepared most and scoring constantly in Mocks and had a gr8 D-day as well only to find out that my result is not even near to what i had expected.

I know many such persons who are brilliant and deserving and had a wonderful CAT'09 but the result was not the same.

I was fully prepared for CAT and never even given a thought about other exams and even took a leave before the CAT to appear for exam with a relaxed mind.

I appeared for FMS,XAT,JMET along with CAT and while my stake was on CAT,it turned out otherwise.

CAT not only closed the gates to IIM's for me but also top B-schools like NITIE and MDI.

This was the final attempt for me for an indian full-time MBA considering the fact that i am having almost 3 years of experience and believeing that everything has a right time.I had made up my mind to take admission this year and i was too keen and well prepared to get into IIM's.

But ,CAT conveners made a real time experiment as they might be impressed with "Reality shows" on TVs these days and played with thousands of innocent and hard-working guys with less fortune.

What a JOKE it was for a so called world class institute called "INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT" ?
What a bad example of management it has set for its own students ...

And still they claim to be the BEST ........................

THIS HAPPENS ONLY IN INDIA

PART 2 : Amidt the frustration and trauma, i was not able to digest the fact that i have not faired well despite all my efforts and a good exam.It took me almost a week to recover from the shock and i missed few of my GDPI classes at both TIME and IMS despite the calls i expected and actually had from all the Top IITs - SJMSOM,IIT-B , DMS-IITD and IIT-KGP

After a week or so , I finally started to come over with CAT woes and started concentrating more on the work in office as well as newspapers and magazines for GD preparation.I tried to exhaust every single minute of time i was awake in some or other activity and made sure that the aftermath of CAT havoc had minimal effect on me.

As it truned out with my ability and preparation, i made a good show at all the three GDs/PIs of IIT-B,D and KGP and decided not to appear for IMT-G,K which was the lone call through my CAT score as i missed out calls from XL-BM and FMS with a good score and performance all thanks to the growing competition.

PART 3 :

The first final result of my MBA season came out with SJMSOM,IIT-B releasing their list and my name was nowhere to be seen. Shocked but still maintained my sanity

Second result of VGSOM,IIT-KGP came out on the same day and the result was the same : Not selected.

Now i started to worry and thought the CAT curse has its symptoms over JMET started to take over my mind.

Only result of the season left for me was : DMS,IIT-D

I started refreshing the DMS,IIT-D page like an insane and started visiting the threads over the PG and for the first time after years of being a silent spectator this great forum,i actually started using it query the seniors and other puys.

The fear and the excitement kept me unstable for a week almost and it was one wonderful morning that my whole pain disappeared when i clicked on the results link from one of the thread in PG and typed in my registration no. to confirm my fate.

DMS,IIT-D i was finally in.................................................................................................

The lone final call of the season and i was again INSANE with a gr8 fervour and intensity.

An IITian for life sound gr8,i imagined that in class 12th but finally it was the Summer of 2010 that actually fulfilled one of my dreams.

I am sure the others will follow one after the another .

PS : This thread is for all those who couldn't get an expected CAT score but did well in other exams and finally got selected in one of the top 20 B-schools of the country.

Also, for those who are trying their hands on CAT'10 and their subsequent editions.

Thanks,
Vivek