ACCURACY PAYS AT CAT:

11 Posts  ·  396 Users
About this group
hi guyz time mock cats carry a negative of 1/3 and not the conventional 1/4...........hence negative markings are a bigger pinch here. u loose 1 mark for every 3 mistakes .................. that was the main reason i went for an allout accur...
Page 1 of 2

ok in my VERY limited experience of attempting RC passages (I've only done Simcat2 and time's free Aimcat) there basically seem to be two types of passages:

1.Passages that deal with a subjective topic where opinions have to be formed. The questions are also such. Generally stuff on philospohy, religion and so forth will fall into this category. You need to know what the underlying theme is rather than specific facts(there probably aren't any specific facts here). For such a passage I've found that the best way is to read the passage like you would normally read a work of fiction : you don't consciously record facts, you just keep reading and some sort of blurb continually forms in your mind. Then you attempt the questions, preferably not looking back into the passage, as the choices themselves will be pretty subjective. I've found that the best way to resolve ambiguity in such passages is to GO WITH YOUR INSTINCTS : looking back into the passage is NOT the way to go here.

2.Passages that contain loads of facts and data. The approach is much easier and more obvious too. Scan it real quick, in maybe 30sec-1min, just to know how its organised, then go directly to the questions. One example is PASSAGE 1 of SIMCAT2: it was about Ballet in America. All the questions were factual and objective.

Its pretty easy to differentiate between the two types: if the passage seems to contain lots of numbers and such, you know its closer to the second type.

Ashwin.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

stratergy in RC
hi all!!
hows the prep going ppls
as far as rc goes
first just browse through the questions...
1) if they seem specific then read the keywords in the questions so that when u read the passage u know what u are looking for
2) sometimes the questions are in order so each paragraph has answers to the questions in order.
3) for lenghty passages the best option is to read some paras then check out the q? and go back to the passage

n hiya to all bangaloreans!

hi all,
I am finding very difficult to define a stratergy in RC and really my show has been very poor in RC so looking for some help from u guys ........I want to ask few question...
1)Is the stratergy for RC is always the same for all passages of it chages from passage to passage?
2) How time would be ideally good for answering one passage in CAT?
3) Which is best stratergy in CAT for solving RC ......going to paragraph forst is definitaly scores but my accuracy in indirect questions has been very poor so what should would you recommend me to do.

thanks,
Pankaj

Hi guys !
I think bingo is right and i have been trying for just that all this while, though i don't have 100% accuracy, i have close to 80%. Lets try 2 improve accuracy to abt 90% in Sim4.
best of luck 2 everybody ! and thx 2 bingo 4 confirming my hunch !
ravi

" If you attempt something, you risk failure!
If you don't , you ensure it! "

That'd be TheDon/Nach's Trademark

Regards,
Command like a king, work like a slave.

Go for it da!
As someone from this forum says and rightly so

" If you attempt something, you risk failure!
If you don't , you ensure it! "

Chiaao
Gaurav

Turns out"With regards to what?

My accuracy levels or lack thereof are well know Gaurav. So I just might royally screw the SIM4, trying to go for accuracy. But then, what the heck, its just a SIM

Ok, I'll try to go for accuracy @ SIM4. Lets see how it turns out.

Count me too!
"Turns out"With regards to what?

72 attempts.. and all converts. You make a solid point there. Ok, I'll try to go for accuracy @ SIM4. Lets see how it turns out.

Regards,

Bingo
You are a life saviour. :angel:
Kudos to you! Will keep in mind !
Gaurav