a new kind of a case study/challenge - finance vs IT & technical Vs managerial

31 Posts  ·  15 Users
About this group
hi people i had to start a completely new thread cause i dont think such an issue has really cropped up as yet. It is a very complex one and a genuine one too. An active participation is what will be required Iam going to present the case. ...
Page 1 of 4
this is in a lighter vein.......

we have a lesson here puys.........look at this guy's childhood dream.......it was IT technical.........shame on me........my first childhood dream was becoming a cricketer.....then i later revised it to becoming an actor.......for a brief period of time i wanted to be a tennis player too (that was when leander paes had started hitting the headlines of the sports columns!).....i kept revising the dream untill i realised that i m all set to become an engineer........and no longer a child !

but hats off to the clarity of the vision and mission of this guy..........i hadnt even heard of IT as a child......i was under the impression that the computer is a wonderfull devise for playing Mario!!!!

but seriously dude.....this is no time to weigh the options u have......first convert the calls and then juggle between the options !

as they say.......first things first !!!!

Me also dreaming to become an actor..this is the last mba season4 me..plz 98tillidie,contact me as soon as possible..sorry mods for this kind of post here,but cudn pm him coz he has been banned..
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Thanku Iday and Mindsmith
both of ur views have been great and I have finally made up my mind to go for MBA with the full force and give it all i have. Even if i dont make it i wont regret it much cause i think the work profile in BayPackets is really gud and i certainly wouldnt mind working for a couple of years or so and keep trying for CAT side by side. As for ISL they r offering only testing work and iam not interested in that.
Thank u both for ur invaluable inputs.

Anytime man.
Glad we cud help 😃

Thanku Iday and Mindsmith
both of ur views have been great and I have finally made up my mind to go for MBA with the full force and give it all i have. Even if i dont make it i wont regret it much cause i think the work profile in BayPackets is really gud and i certainly wouldnt mind working for a couple of years or so and keep trying for CAT side by side. As for ISL they r offering only testing work and iam not interested in that.
Thank u both for ur invaluable inputs.

Looks like it's gonna end up b/w u and me :)
anyway - here we go!!!

Interesting......
I am a top ranker in my state and an engineer from Top 10 Engineering colleges of India. I was with Indian IT company for 2 years and now for close to 1 year i am with reputed MNC working in Germany.

I'd say u r on the other side or the river. I never said EVERYONE in the industry is wasted. I remember mentioning that atleast 25% of the ppl are satisfied with their work. I guess u fit in there. For me - the only issue is that this percentage of unsatisfied ppl is more in IT industry than anything else.

My definition of junk work goes like this : Repetitive work with less application of mind or the work which doesn't add much value to the company's business.

whether it adds value to the company's bizz is not my concern at all. To an extent, during off periods, i'd say we can do such work if the company earns out of it. Now always. My issue of junk work is just work which doesnt stimulate my neurons. Developing a new algo for storing data efficiently on a multi OS based storage setup - sounds intersting. Translating all messages for such a S/W to display japanese strings - does anything to u?!?! There are companies doing such work. I'm lucky not to have done anything like this.

May be... But mostly for extra money. You don't find this in some other industry because there are no as much companies in India as IT companies. IT industry is in boom. Until it stabilises there will be poaching or job hopping due to the competitors willing to pay extra.
You had similar situation during the aviation industry boom.
Extra money is something ppl demand when they shift, simply coz they know the other company will be ready to pay 😃 I accept that there are ppl who shift for the bigger pay packets alone. Not everyone. I've settled out in a company which pays peanuts simply coz the work here is good 😃 I know a lot of ppl who did. all the ppl i knew who had shifted companies did so either out of boredom or seking better roles.

There are. In fact lots when compared to other industry. For that you should know what you want to do. Research and find companies which are doing that kind of work. In fact, such work exists in companies which are also doing majority of junk work.

Very much true. again - i'm speaking percentages 😃 😃 :)

to sum the arguments of both me and my friend mindsmith - there is good and bad in the IT industry, as is there all over. I'm saying that there is more bad than good!!! Probably a pessimistic point of opinion. Mindsmith says go seek the good - the optimists way of seeing the world :)

I'm sure our good dhosth pratset will be more confused than earlier ;)

Man - finish ur GD/PIs, try to get offers and if u get a Bschool admit, my advice is take it. The only thing which must concern u is ur family situation. If that is okay - go ahead. Dont even think like "if i did now, i can do it 2/3 yrs later". CAT is getting competitive by the day and u cannot guarantee a similar performance - i dint say u cannot give one :)

forget everything and concentrate only on the GD/PIs for now

Iday

Interesting......
Mostly true from someone's point of view

Since there should not be one-sided point of view and because i think i have valid arguments to confront it, here i go.

1. Ask any engineer from a good college

I am a top ranker in my state and an engineer from Top 10 Engineering colleges of India. I was with Indian IT company for 2 years and now for close to 1 year i am with reputed MNC working in Germany.

2. Frustration is greater in IT industry & junk work only in Indian IT companies

My definition of junk work goes like this : Repetitive work with less application of mind or the work which doesn't add much value to the company's business.

One of my friends ( engineer from my college) is working in a top oil company. His work is to supervise the loading and unloading of oil into ship, note down the data and enter them into the information systems. One other friend ( engg from my college) is working in a automobile company. He is in the shopfloor with a similar work profile. Both are frustrated. One other friend in the same company in the R&D; division is extremely happy with the work profile he has and said that his design has taken shape and is selling hot in the market.

You can find such people in IT industry also. one frustrated and other really happy. You can find people doing so called 'junk work' happily and people with the high-end work profile wanting to do something else.

Junk work is everywhere. They are done by people who don't mind what they do or by people who don't know what they want to do in their life and by some frustrated people.

3. IT people move from company A to B to C in search of good work

May be... But mostly for extra money. You don't find this in some other industry because there are no as much companies in India as IT companies. IT industry is in boom. Until it stabilises there will be poaching or job hopping due to the competitors willing to pay extra.
You had similar situation during the aviation industry boom.

Is there anything called good work in IT industry at all ?

There are. In fact lots when compared to other industry. For that you should know what you want to do. Research and find companies which are doing that kind of work. In fact, such work exists in companies which are also doing majority of junk work.

Totally my point of view.

For pratset,
Man ! Just know that by getting calls from IIMs you have really achieved something. I would give same advise as given by Iday in his postscript.

I had to jump in.

Don't get misled by few posts. IT industry is not so bad. People who are complaining are doing so because they are not finding their work matching their interests. I have also seen guys who after doing MBA from top notch colleges say 'MBA sucks..better back to coding'.

The cons that were mentioned of IT industry like policies, work profile or quality of work, etc.. exists in every industry.

All you need to find out is about yourself, your interests and what you actually want out of your life. If you don't do this before taking major step in life, you will be complaining later like the others do. Talk to people who are working in IT industry, who are doing MBA and specifically those who are capable of giving unbiased opinion and don't confuse others.

If all this is following my posts - i'm glad :)

Anyway - i dint wanna be biased, but in the end i found my posts to be. Maybe - it's simply because i poured my heart out. Really - these are things which are there throughout the IT industry. As u say - ppl in all forms of work end up saying "this sucks man" someday. I see it to be more frequent and widespread in the IT industry - especially in the IT services segment. Mine u ppl - this is not BPO or call center bizz. this was the original outsourcing bizz - why India is now the back office of US. If u wanna do real work - u shud get into one of these off-shore development centers opened by the US biggies themselves. Any indian company (all those companies which claims those staggering figures quarter after quarter, year after year) - most (i mean 90%) of the work done is junk. It is really difficult to see, as mindset says, people's interests matching with the work.

There were around 200 ppl from my college who got into GOOD companies. The ones who are still sticking around with their first companies are very very less. I can still bring in figures from my seniors and my juniors. Ask any engineer from a good college, who's into IT, about the IT scene and the experiences of his own self and his friends - u'll here no different.

I'd again want to emphasise - to mindsmith, pratset and other possible freshers out there. all this only follows my own experiences and those of my friends' and other ppl i know. I really havent followed any other segment so close. But i'm sure such stuff exists in other places also. But we are speaking of percentages here. If u guys want me to do this - i'll probably rephrase my lines as "Most of the ppl in IT are unhappy" :)

I've already said this - 2/3 yrs is a great time to be in the industry. For me, this is not THE career definitely. May be my interests dont lay here - but i was not like this 2.5 yrs back when i joined my company. I get paid enough for me to really worry in those lines. i cannot see any other resons but the industry itself for this change in me. I still reach a different xitement level when i do good, interesting, new work - but no, it is difficult to find 😞 This is TRUE.

The IT industry might look rosy. With companies reaping profits year after year and the industry always providing job opportunities - it is all great for the outsider. But come in and hear words like attrition, job satisfaction, blah blah blah. ppl jump companies frequently. they go from A to B, from B to C and from C to some other character. the industry probably has the highest attrition rate (i dont know the exact figures). But all these ppl moving out are 3/4/5 yrs exp. after around 10yrs - they settle out somewhere. Not that they found the correct job - there are external factors.

The IT world is great to come in, earn, see money and have fun. First 2 or 3 yrs - you learn a lot of stuff, see a different world, learn to be a pro and when u expect work like a pro - SORRY BOSS!!! You just cant find it.

Some ppl are lucky. But only some. I've seen ppl who are still in their first company. some ppl learn to do the dog's work. some ppl learn to live in such situations. some ppl live here for the money. some ppl just live here ;)

I might be presenting a very disheartening picture for the 1000s of aspirants PG might reach. But i'm being true. since i'm concluding here - i must say everything. It is great to start ur career here. As i said - u learn and u have things to learn. But not for more than 3/4 yrs if u always seek to imrove. If you find good work somewhere - great!!! Stick to the company till you die. I can confidently say that almost 75% of the IT guys are shifting places in search of good work!!!

Iday

PS> I dint wanna confront anyone's views. I just thought i must say all this. Pratset - dont take all this to heart. The 2 offers u've had are from companies with good profiles. They dont necessarily fit into the description i have given. their history does not take them out of this too, i must admit ;)

It is better if u can speak to ppl from those companies and get to know how things are. A very simple point i must make here is this - u'll always wanna do masters. By taking CAT u've followed ur heart and decided that ur masters will be in mgmt. If u can afford it now (if u r not really desperate to have to work) - u shud give a great show in the GD/PIs and get into a B school man. Everything else can wait. For this simple reason - i say that u shud work ONLY if u and ur family cannot afford without it.

I had to jump in.

Don't get misled by few posts. IT industry is not so bad. People who are complaining are doing so because they are not finding their work matching their interests. I have also seen guys who after doing MBA from top notch colleges say 'MBA sucks..better back to coding'.

The cons that were mentioned of IT industry like policies, work profile or quality of work, etc.. exists in every industry.

All you need to find out is about yourself, your interests and what you actually want out of your life. If you don't do this before taking major step in life, you will be complaining later like the others do. Talk to people who are working in IT industry, who are doing MBA and specifically those who are capable of giving unbiased opinion and don't confuse others.

thanks people for making me aware of the cons of the IT industry.
Now atleast iam convinced to go for the MBA.
But still the problem remains of convincing the IIM panel for selecting me to do an MBa cause i dont think i can tell them all this bout the IT industry as they would obviously retaliate .
any advice for me and similar freshers

this is in a lighter vein.......

we have a lesson here puys.........look at this guy's childhood dream.......it was IT technical.........shame on me........my first childhood dream was becoming a cricketer.....then i later revised it to becoming an actor.......for a brief period of time i wanted to be a tennis player too (that was when leander paes had started hitting the headlines of the sports columns!).....i kept revising the dream untill i realised that i m all set to become an engineer........and no longer a child !

but hats off to the clarity of the vision and mission of this guy..........i hadnt even heard of IT as a child......i was under the impression that the computer is a wonderfull devise for playing Mario!!!!

but seriously dude.....this is no time to weigh the options u have......first convert the calls and then juggle between the options !

as they say.......first things first !!!!

dude, that post really cracked me up. laughed non stop for a min!!!!

@pratset- i'd say follow your dream. as far as the calls are concerned, if u've made it now, u can definitely make it later...
Hey its like u think a lot......
Just Move wid ur feet the beats of ur heart....
u will find d best solution