A Generalised Strategy!!

12 Posts  ·  11 Users
About this group
Looking at the CAT 05 pattern and the various pre-CAT exams, do we people agree on best strategy for the exam?? well, here is my view: you should ideally start with the quant section. remember that the first thing that you need to do in ...
Page 1 of 2

Umpteen threads on strategy for CAT please use the Search function :)

the next best strategy - thread locked

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

well strategies basically depent on ur strengths ...

as a common rule ........... always start with ur strongest section

i start out wit DI (my strong section) ..do it for arnd 40 n sometimes goes to 45 min ..then move on to QA ... thatz coz i dun like the idea of moving to verbals n then reverting again to maths ... so go with the flow of calculations ... do it for 40 min then go to VA (my weakest section ) ... by this time ideally i am finished wit 80 min or at most 90 mins ..... ten remainimg arnd 55-60 mins i give to VA ..depending on toughness... coz i m too aslow in VA n do take more time out here ..if i am left with some time arnd 10 mins ... i go either to Di blocks if i can crack it or so some QA sums .. looking for some elimination methods to get ans .. or some tricks to get a few ansa without really going into too much of calc

thats my approach

A generalized strategy for CAT is akin to committing hara-kiri (Ritual suicide, Japanese style) ! No two individuals are alike in grey matter levels. Some folks are right brained some left brained, I hope you folks are understanding. The result, some excel at VA, others at QA/DI, and others at LR. You should have named this thread as -- 'Customised Strategy' .

Prepare a customised strategy for folks depending on their strength/weakness areas, that's a more practical approach towards any admission test. Concentrate on strong areas, max. scores here, and aim to clear cutoffs in weak domains, that's putting it succintly in one sentence.

orca
@orca  ·  777 karma

How abt "any of the above" ??

Follow a rigid strategy at your own risk. Unless you are really good across all sections Murphy's law might skew up ur *rigid* plans on D-day. Itihaas gawah hai, CAT sabki band bajaa dega 😐

Tough question.... Ask how to play chess!!!!

According to me..... Ideal way of attempting paper would be

Start with VA(EU+RC) ... Solve it for around 25-35 min ( depending how the paper is) ..... By then one would have scored a chunk of score........ move on to Quant , solve it for around 45 min ........ Move on to DI - Solve it for 40 min.............. Taking into consideration the minor overshoots on each sections one would be left with around 10-15 mins which one could utilise to max the score from there

PS; I don't follow this

new strategies can be tried as far as the tests at home are concerned.
finally, one should settle for a pre-decided strategy for the D-day...

Is it a right time to try out a new statergy????

the point of the thread is the following:

here is one strategy that has worked for me and my friends. But, if this does not work for you it does not mean that you stick to it while there is every possibility that you may require a different one.

but this one is must giving a try in one of the tests!!

ok then..
you say that we should try (at least once) a QA start..
but for some people (me included), EU is as good a start as any, because start is the only time they (I) can think in that fashion..
similarly for DI...

Giving my two cents to the issue... It all depends upon the strategy that works the best for you at this point of time. No point in experimentation. Now that people would have (expectedly) given so many tests, they would have analysed what works for them...

The only point of the thread I can see is to find out which people generally do what!!! rather than providing tips (at this pt in prep) at what to do!

the point of the thread is the following:

here is one strategy that has worked for me and my friends. But, if this does not work for you it does not mean that you stick to it while there is every possibility that you may require a different one.

but this one is must giving a try in one of the tests!!

Jus for the information...

How many of you are very versatile wile the approch???