A gap of 1 year before MBA...is it right??

11 Posts  ·  27 Users
About this group
Hi, Pls help me!! I have a Work ex of 2 yrs in HR. I left the work in June 2006 and am trying for 2007-09 MBA batch. This costs me a gap of 1 year. Is that OK? Some one told me that this will create probs at every stage ahead. I am 23 year...
Page 1 of 2
I am just passing out engineering (Computer science engg) (after jun 10)
can't took CAT 09 due to some glitches in Computer :-(
even i did not sit in a company due to CAT and other Exams MBA preparation
So finally got nothing :-(
So shud i take 1 year Gap for CAT or go for the job search(as there are large openings so not a big problem to get a job in IT industries)
if I go for a job then how job exp. would help me after 1 or 2 or more years for MBA entrance like CAT or GMAT.

Don't think this thread is accessed by anyone now. Try posting your query here:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/personal-career-cat-job-dilemma-queries-a-repository-25009670

@ Mods,
Think this thread should be closed now.
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

I am just passing out engineering (Computer science engg) (after jun 10)
can't took CAT 09 due to some glitches in Computer :-(
even i did not sit in a company due to CAT and other Exams MBA preparation
So finally got nothing :-(
So shud i take 1 year Gap for CAT or go for the job search(as there are large openings so not a big problem to get a job in IT industries)
if I go for a job then how job exp. would help me after 1 or 2 or more years for MBA entrance like CAT or GMAT.

hi all,
i am a 2009 engineering graduate, and am planning for CAT 2009.
I graduated in june 2009. I donot have a job in hand, but am doing an internship from july onwards. Now i am considering dropping the intern work as i feel i am not being able o devote much time for CAT prep.
Would then, dropping a year mar my chances severely from getting into an IIM? my performance in AIMCATS is consistently above 99.4 percentile.

hi
im too facing the same problem but much greater in magnitued.
i have a gap of 5 years (passed out from engg in 2004)as i was preparing for UPSC exam
im an engineering graduate
can i ever do MBA
should i first work for some years n then try
pls reply

yep, do some NGO work, social work etc. or some creative writing, publication etc. anyway u are not going to study whole day. all extra/co curricular activities add.

@jaybind: I don't think drop year prior to Engineering makes much of a difference. It's a common practice and the interview panel is well aware of that. Even yours truly had a drop year prior to Engineering and he sailed through most interviews, except MDI ofcourse - where they told moi that since 'even after dropping an year I couldn't make it to IIT (AFAIR, they said IIT top 100); I don't have the aptitude to survive the academic rigor at MDI '

Thankfully atleast 3 IIMs thought otherwise

Nipun

My advice for what it's worth...

A large number of people go for a drop year prior to their CAT preparations. That a percentage of them makes it through ( we have some in IIM-C too), proves that the interview panel is not biased against them as such. But, rest assured that there won't be an interview where you won't be questioned about your drop year. So, one better have valid reasons to back your decision up !!
Also, it is better if you can show that you used your year more productively than just preparing for CAT (developing a hobby, working with an NGO etc).

Having said that, any kind of work-experience helps in such interviews. Simply because things at B-School are learnt better once you have studied a work-environment at your own level (this, coming from a fresher, makes more sense !!). It requires no Einstien to figure out that, more the number of years of work-ex the better. Personally, I don't think CAT requires that much amount of preparation as an exam so that one may take an year off for it. But again, the effort required may vary from person to person and the time one can manage from work-profile to work-profile.

Moral of the story: If you can manage both work and CAT-prep, nothing like it !! If you feel you won't - take the year off, but use it more constructively that just CAT prep.

Nipun

i can understand ur concern but look! nowhere is it written in the brochure that people with a gap of 1 or 2 years would be denied admission .And nowhere is it written that even if u dont have a gap year and have a perfect academics and a work ex u would be given admission . i have seen people with brilliant acads rejected/accepted and i have seen people with gap years accepted/rejected.

Only things thats in ur hands is The cat,gd and interview ;try to perform ur best in em
and BINGO u will land up in a bschool.

About the gap year u can always justify ur reasons.By the way i have read about a guy in PG He had a gap year of 3 years and still made it to mdi.

If at all there is any excuse for u to be rejected it would be ur performance .

hey the guy u r talking about who got into mdi had three yrs of gap after his degree or after 12th...because i have a gap of 2 yrs after my 12th...so will that create any prob for me...and i have reasons also...i had taken admission in a govt engg coll for one yr but left that later...so obviously i was engaged in some course...so wat say u

Hi
It's totally OK,Do ur best in CAT and other exams and also be ready for interview.Be ready with ur answres that wht u r going to tell them if they ask u abt gap
I think even if u tell them that u had taken gap for the prep it's totally ok!
Don't wory!
Keep Studying -:)

i can understand ur concern but look! nowhere is it written in the brochure that people with a gap of 1 or 2 years would be denied admission .And nowhere is it written that even if u dont have a gap year and have a perfect academics and a work ex u would be given admission . i have seen people with brilliant acads rejected/accepted and i have seen people with gap years accepted/rejected.

Only things thats in ur hands is The cat,gd and interview ;try to perform ur best in em
and BINGO u will land up in a bschool.

About the gap year u can always justify ur reasons.By the way i have read about a guy in PG He had a gap year of 3 years and still made it to mdi.

If at all there is any excuse for u to be rejected it would be ur performance .