3 years post IIM.. Considering MA Econ

4 Posts  ·  4 Users
About this group
Well, here is my quick profile. I passed out from an IIM in 2005. I've been working in an IT company for these 2.5 years. Now I am not happy with my job and career growth here. I want to shift to a more research based career in economics. Hence...
Page 1 of 1

As I understand you are looking for a secong PG degree to prepare yourself better for your PhD. Technically you can join a PhD/FPM program as a IIM degree is considered equivalent to MBA.

However, a two year course may not be required. Most PhD course have their own classroom curriculum that needs to be followed for 1-2 years. Do you think it is necessary to put another 2 years between your 3-5 year PhD mission?

Well, here is my quick profile. I passed out from an IIM in 2005. I've been working in an IT company for these 2.5 years. Now I am not happy with my job and career growth here.
I want to shift to a more research based career in economics. Hence I'm thinking of doing an MA Economics from DSE.
Although I get into an equity research kind of job, I don't like it that much. I want core economics research dealing with interest rates, trade and so forth. I'm considering a phd as well, but an MA appears to be required for that too.
What do you guys think?
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

MS QE in ISI is a good option which I am considering as well.
Abroad MFE and MSc FE mostly prepares one for the industry.. and they are two term programs in which you take a maximum of 8 courses in total. Its not about 'saving 1 year', its the question of whether you've taken all the required courses (learn the required tools of research) say if you want to apply for a phd or something later..
A lot of math courses are requried for research or a phd in fin or eco.. (topology, advanced statistics, linear algebra etc.. ) There is no point in doing masters after masters and still falling short of the required math courses..
I am worried even the MA Econ in DSE looks as if its preparing students for the analytical market and not academics.. or proper research..

Well, here is my quick profile. I passed out from an IIM in 2005. I've been working in an IT company for these 2.5 years. Now I am not happy with my job and career growth here.
I want to shift to a more research based career in economics. Hence I'm thinking of doing an MA Economics from DSE.
Although I get into an equity research kind of job, I don't like it that much. I want core economics research dealing with interest rates, trade and so forth. I'm considering a phd as well, but an MA appears to be required for that too.
What do you guys think?

Why DSE mate?
Why not think of doing an MSc (Economics) from Indian Statistical Institute or even better from London School of Economics?

Hope you must be knowing that there are many MSc programs in Quantitative Economics/Financial Econometrics in UK. Why not those and why DSE?

Give it a thought coz initially they might appear to be very expensive but it will save 1 year for you and also give you a very good profile job in the UK itself.

You will be much better off there then here if economics is what you feel will give you satisfaction.

Regards,

Tumtum.

What do you guys think?