3 Years exp. in IT, want to take Buisness role, MBA (Finance/Marketing/IT) ?

6 Posts  ·  4 Users
About this group
Dear Friends, I have been working in CMMI 5 Software company since last 3 year. I am planning to do MBA from SCDL. first i thought i would take PGDIT, PGDIT contains courses like C Programming, Jaba, Database and Networking which is of no use fo...
Page 1 of 1

hi sabyamba,
if you can manage go for full time MBA or at least part time/exec mode with eveng/weekend classes. scdl type MBA's really dont help much as group interaction is key in learning.
if you are working in fin domain and aware of fin basics and terminology etc take a IT+fin mix splzn in your exec MBA. your career will grow towards techno functional, ERP implmntn like SAP fico, oracle finance. mktg, startegy etc will be taught as part of the course and shd be enough. another necessary focus area for techo-mngrl role is soft skills inc presentation, public spkng, team mgmt. most exec progs have modules on that.
also regular reading of businessworld, dataquest, economic times helps in biz env awareness.
as for C/C++, you can learn that with some basic books and access to a comp with the package. as u know prog logic it remains only syntx, not very difficult to learn. can do it in any local instt.
a techno-mngrl function can also be managed with an PMI (certified PM) certification. requires 5yrs exp min to sit for exam. however its a time taking affair.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Hello Rmbt,

I would like to know why you have suggested for operations, Is there any specific reason ?

I told Finanace, just because(IMHO) mastering Finance may help me to understand Customer financial process easily (Pls correct me if i am wrong).

One more thing, There is perception that doing Finance is the toughest thing to master among all the MBA specializations, Is that perception true, Is there anyone who has already done PGDBA(Finance) from SCDL ? I apologise if i am asking too sily questions, but i am completely novice in this MBA world.

Thanks
Sabya

Well, if u see your self as PM in a IT company go for IT specializisation as except c/networking etc there are lot of other things & since you already have enough experince clearing these papers will be easy & hence you will get the desired jump.

I suggested operations as it is ideally suited to engg/ppl working in industy.

Since you are inclined to Finance.....First of all it depend on your interest .If you like it then it cant be tough for you.If you dont have any clue about the field then it will be a bit difficult.Secondly,After doing MBA(fin) you can have post as Bussiness analyst which generally deals with banking proj!!
Only thing i like about stone in my path is, when I cross them, they become my milestones!

Hello Rmbt,

Thanks for the reply.

I have already explained why i want to do MBA and where i want to see myself after doing MBA. At present i am dealing with complete technical stuff. Within 2 years i would like to take a buisness role (Managing and controling projects, understanding customer core buisness process, devloping buisness etc.). I don't think PGDIT has any value for me (it has lots of core technical things like C, Java, Database and Networking) that is the reason i want to do MBA in either Finance/Marketing/Operations.

I would like to know why you have suggested for operations, Is there any specific reason ?

I told Finanace, just because(IMHO) mastering Finance may help me to understand Customer financial process easily (Pls correct me if i am wrong).

One more thing, There is perception that doing Finance is the toughest thing to master among all the MBA specializations, Is that perception true, Is there anyone who has already done PGDBA(Finance) from SCDL ? I apologise if i am asking too sily questions, but i am completely novice in this MBA world.

Thanks
Sabya

Hello Rmbt,

Thanks for the reply.

I have already explained why i want to do MBA and where i want to see myself after doing MBA. At present i am dealing with complete technical stuff. Within 2 years i would like to take a buisness role (Managing and controling projects, understanding customer core buisness process, devloping buisness etc.). I don't think PGDIT has any value for me (it has lots of core technical things like C, Java, Database and Networking) that is the reason i want to do MBA in either Finance/Marketing/Operations.

I told Finanace, just because(IMHO) mastering Finance may help me to understand Customer financial process easily (Pls correct me if i am wrong)

Thanks
Sabya

Pal, the query which you put up is very difficult for me or anyone else to answer unless you telll us why do you want to do MBA or atleast where do you see yourself after doinf MBA!! I mean what is your interest!!
Going by your profile i think Operation will suit you the best!!
If you have interested in Finance then go for finance!!

Only thing i like about stone in my path is, when I cross them, they become my milestones!
Dear Friends,
I have been working in CMMI 5 Software company since last 3 year. I am planning to do MBA from SCDL. first i thought i would take PGDIT, PGDIT contains courses like C Programming, Jaba, Database and Networking which is of no use for me (I am working in IBM Mainframe and quite sound technically and main intention behind doing MBA is to take buisness role, where i can lead a team, manage buisness, controls projects, understand Customer core buisness process and design solution for that etc.) so i don't think reading C progarmming or Java or Network concept will help me anyway. There is one more course available in SCDL PGDBA, which i think more relevant for me, it offers four specializations (HR, Marketing, Finance and Operation). first two semester(PGDBA) covers core buisness subjects like Strategic Management (which is not at all coverd in PGDIT). But here i am confused which specialization i should take up, Marketing/Finance/HR or Operation ? or i should do tech. oriented PGDIT. I guess Finance could help me, becuase i would be able to understand My customer buisness easily (Since last 3 years i have been working Financial service domain).
Can you people please help me to take the right decision.
Thanks
Sabya