3-Year Part-Time MBA Worth the Effort?

24 Posts  ·  16 Users
About this group
Hello friends, I have seen many asking this question to others about a 3 yr part time MBA. Is it really worth the effort. I think about it from 2 viewpoints and feel that each one is right in its own way. With the part timer, a busy exec...
Page 1 of 3

Hi Venkat

This is really a technical question :new_shocked: and I would advise you to check with the concerned admission in-charge here. You can use this form and send your query Contact us | Indian Institute of Management Lucknow - Noida Campus or alternatively can write at admin@iimlnc.ac.in

Do let me know in case you don't get reply within reasonable period.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Hi,

Thank you again for your prompt reply. As far as my case is concerned, I have a peculiar academic profile that is I did not do my 12th and did my 10+3 years diploma +2 years of degree. This is pretty problematic and even a few academic counselors are confused as to my eligibility.

Please advise me on the above.

Thanks,

Hi Venkat

Yes, that's correct that "some" B-schools do not consider correspondence degree but most of colleges do not differentiate on the mode of study. In fact, I don't remember any other college apart from Symbiosis which ask specifically for regular education. You are eligible for CAT & MAT....I am not sure about XAT. But pls check this year's bulletins, all my data is based on previous year & memory only.

As far as IIM L, Noida campus is concerned...no difference will be there on the basis of education mode.

Hi Uakharia,

Thank you for your reply. Please do let me know on my eligibility, as I was told that some B schools do not consider distance education degrees.

Thank you again for your suggestion.

Venkat

Hi Venkatesh

Just like Ankur, I also belongs to IIM Lucknow, Noida Campus. I tried for CAT twice and then finally landed up here.

With 5 yrs of working experience with you, I would really suggest you to go for an Executive MBA instead of regular MBA course of B-schools e.g ISB Hyderabad, Great Lakes Chennai. Alternatively you can opt for Part time courses offered by IIM-A, IIM-B, IIM-L, FMS, MDI etc. But in case you plan to go for part time then must target TOP 10 only. Since you need to differentiate yourself.

As far as your academic record & CAT/XAT/MAT is concerned....don't worry since as per best of my knowledge CAT score & Working Experience carries more weightage than education. Though no doubt few B-Schools specifically run by Universities like FMS (From DU) gives more emphasis on Education. You may like to skip these type of colleges.

Hello Friends,

I am Venkatesh from Chennai and currently working as a Project Manager in a BPO (medical transcription/healthcare services). Some of my friends told me that my eligibility to do an MBA from a reputed institute is less likely. Here my profile goes:

1. 10th (82%)
2. 3-year Diploma (90%), recognized by DOTE.
3. 2-year BCA degree (58%), distance mode, from Alagappa University.
4. I have 5+ years of work experience and 3 years in management.

I have held various positions before becoming a project manager and got some international certifications in the field of medical transcription.

Please advise me if I am eligible to appear for CAT, XAT, MAT and get admission into a reputed B-school.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Hi ankur,
I hav got the final call for WMP programme!
i am not very confident in joining
actually i am notsure if i wud be able to change my field from core engineering to any sector after this!
i am from DCE and i suppose so r u?
can u give me any contact number of urs so that i can hav my dobts cleared?

Amit Ragtah

Tumtum,

In my opinion Both the programs have plus & minus...in XLRI one you would be having a dedicated experience but u will miss out on managing all things simultaenously...in Narsee Monjee it would be the other way round...

But I guess XLRI has a better reputation and would look good in ur resume if u wish to move out of India as a consultant..which is usually the desired path of all guys who do Evening MBA....

But the final decision is always yours.... At this level you should get satisfaction of doing something and not just for the sake of degree...

Cheers...
-Ankur
Hi Tumtum,

I am joining XLRI Exe PGP program. Actually if your employer can allow for leave then nothing like that. I have got a approval letter from my employer for this cause. It is a real nice course as i went thru the content. Also I see that XL will be allowing LRP placement to self sponsored candidates that is if you pay your fees and not your company. The degree is identical to that of a regular course. So what else do you need. You can get in touch with me at for further discussion.

Regards,
Nitin Srivastava

Dude its against the rules of Forum to mention phone no. or mail ID on the thread,instead PM him/her.Edit ur post.
Only thing i like about stone in my path is, when I cross them, they become my milestones!
It all depends on two things (a) the priorities of the person and (b) the job/industry where you work.

IMHO, if you can afford (in both monetary and other terms) to quit a job that is already paying you and join MBA at a Tier-I institute, it is worth every second that you spend there. A seat in a top institute like IIMs will assure you a lateral placement if you want to rejoin the same industry.

A full time MBA is absolutely essential in case of industries like FMCG and white goods, else you will have to progress thru the ranks only to realise that your boss is your age or worse even younger than you.

The fact is MBA is more about developing the thinking process and brand as tumtum as already said. A part time MBA cannot give you that,. It can give you a tag however, which most HR deptts would require before giving you a promotion.

I believe a part time MBA is suited for professionals like Chartered Accountants, who are already in the core function and just need a degree to ensure promotion or an easier jump to another co.

With the Indian economy doing so well, one need not feel insecure while quitting your job inorder to pursue higher education.

Not in entirety, but I agree with you quite a bit.

It all depends on two things (a) the priorities of the person and (b) the job/industry where you work.

IMHO, if you can afford (in both monetary and other terms) to quit a job that is already paying you and join MBA at a Tier-I institute, it is worth every second that you spend there. A seat in a top institute like IIMs will assure you a lateral placement if you want to rejoin the same industry.

A full time MBA is absolutely essential in case of industries like FMCG and white goods, else you will have to progress thru the ranks only to realise that your boss is your age or worse even younger than you.

The fact is MBA is more about developing the thinking process and brand as tumtum as already said. A part time MBA cannot give you that,. It can give you a tag however, which most HR deptts would require before giving you a promotion.

I believe a part time MBA is suited for professionals like Chartered Accountants, who are already in the core function and just need a degree to ensure promotion or an easier jump to another co.

With the Indian economy doing so well, one need not feel insecure while quitting your job inorder to pursue higher education.