Hmmm's post

in [2019]AIMCAT 2002(9th Nov-11th Nov 2019)
Updated 3 months ago

VARC Question 8 -

It cannot be inferred from the penultimate para that - 

Answer is option D which says that the functional machinery cannot be understood without understanding the protein structures.

Reasoning for the answer is that it has not been stated that functional machinery cannot be understood without understanding the protein structures. The passage clearly says that protein makes the functional materials that makes the machinery of all living things. The structure of the proteins define the function, and we don't understand these because they are exceedingly complicated.

From this, can we not infer that if we don't understand protein structures - we won't understand function. And by extension we won't understand the machinery as well because the functions make up the machinery.

In my opinion, this is not a stretch and can be reasonable inferred. Thoughts?

2 comments
KrishnaSripada
@KrishnaSripada  ·  24 karma

No. It cannot be inferred. Because the passage doesn't talk about understanding machinery and functions separately. In all likelihood one could argue that we understand both separately. What we don't understand is their interdependence. We may understand functions (as in what they do - functional machinery), and not understand HOW they do what they do. Makes sense?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
tenfeettall
@tenfeettall  ·  65 karma

So you are saying that I can understand what a machine does, without knowing the underlying structure of the components which enable it to perform said function? So even though I may not understand how the protein structure influence function, but I can very well understand what the functions themselves are.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

There are 58 posts in [2019]AIMCAT 2002(9th Nov-11th Nov 2019)

View all the posts »