2016 SIMCAT 1 Proctored(10-13June)

17 Posts  ·  86 Users
About this group

Scores and discussions of SIMCAT 1

Page 1 of 2

SIMCAT 1 LR SET 1

Eight boxes – A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H – each of different sizes, are stacked one inside the other such that the smallest box is kept inside the second smallest box, which in turn is kept inside the third smallest box, and so on. The following information is known-

1. The number of boxes inside G is more than the number of boxes inside A.

2. The number of boxes outside H is more than the number of boxes outside B.

3. The number of boxes inside E is more than the number of boxes inside D.

4. The number of boxes outside C is more than the number of boxes outside F.

5. The number of boxes outside H is more than the number of boxes inside it.

6. The number of boxes inside D is more than the number of boxes outside it.

7. The number of boxes between D and H is equal to the number of boxes between D and B.

8. The number of boxes inside G is one more than the number of boxes outside A.

Can anyone share the approach for this question? I am not able to understand from where to begin this question. Is it all Hit and Trial?

Converts(16): SIBMP, SCMHRD, NMIMS, IIFTD, MDI PGPM, IIM Shillong, IIM Ranchi, IIM Rohtak, IIM Raipur, IIM Kashipur, IIM Udaipur, IIM Nagpur, IIM Sirmaur, IIM Bodhgaya, IIM Jammu, Amritsar
1 like7 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 7
abhinavkrishnan
@abhinavkrishnan  ·  484 karma

@jmayer10 how many arrangements r u getting?? M getting 2.... whereas I think d ques won't have a fixed order

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
jmayer10
@jmayer10MDI Gurgaon  ·  1,616 karma

i am not sure because i was trying to figure out how to start it. As far as i remmeber, the solution showed atleast 4 arrangements

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

SIMCAT-1 VA 99.07

DILR 97.4 same story

QA 99.9

OA 99.9

CAT'15: 99.59%ile
1 like
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Ques no 13 in Quant.

area's ratio are proportional to squares of side's ratio right.?

Isn't the solution wrong..?

2 comments
parthnagpal
@parthnagpal  ·  35 karma

The solution is not wrong.

Area of 2 triangles lying on the same base is divided in the ratio of the sides.

However, area of 2 similar triangles are proportional to the squares of the ratio of the sides. Check the solution PMQ and RMB are similar while we have use the ratio of areas for PMQ and RMQ.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  2 likes  ·  
carlsberg
@carlsberg  ·  0 karma

okay got it now..

thanks

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

For SIMCAT1, question8 related to silk road passage, they say:

"In the second paragraph, the author states that the history of the

Silk Roads tends to be omitted from the history of ideas spanning Ancient Greece to the modern US, and suggests that historians are responsible for this omission. So [1], which talks about 'people' in general, not historians, is incorrect. [4] is too extreme, and does not directly relate to the topic of the Silk Roads. [3] is incorrect, as there is no suggestion in the passage that the history of the Silk Roads links Ancient Greece to the modern US. Only [2] correctly states the author's point in the second paragraph. Hence, [2] "

But in the passage there is mentioned as :

#1. "For most of us",.... and not historian. #[3]- there is a link between the ancient Greece and modern US..

Can someone tell why answer is not 1 or 3..

1 like1 comment
utkarsh2121
@utkarsh2121  ·  28 karma

Ques:

What is the point the author is trying to make in the second paragraph?

[1] People tend to focus more on the 'exotic feel' of the Silk Roads rather than their place in history.[2]Historians have ignored the role played by the Silk Roads in the history of ideas.[3]   Historians are not interested in the history of the Silk Roads, though it links Ancient Greece to the modern US.[4] Mainstream historians tend to ignore anything that doesn't fit into their preconceived notions.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Simcat 1- DI- qn 14. Answer should be 4 right? 12 to 15 April and 8 to 11 April?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

SimCat 1

VA RC-38

DI LR-52

QA-55

OA-145 really poor performance specially in va and qa

Underdog. CAT 15-95.08 XAT 16-99.135 CAT 16-99.95 IIFT 16- 99.92 NMAT-218. XAT 17 - 87.xx , CAT 18 -99.64
1 like1 comment
jmayer10
@jmayer10MDI Gurgaon  ·  1,616 karma

What was your AIR?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

IMS website crashed again in between the simcat.@OfficialIMS  its happening frequently now

Underdog. CAT 15-95.08 XAT 16-99.135 CAT 16-99.95 IIFT 16- 99.92 NMAT-218. XAT 17 - 87.xx , CAT 18 -99.64
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

i wont be able to take the test in centre next week, can i take it in home? i dont want to attempt it outside  the testing window..

Probationary Officer at State Bank of India, Batch 2016
6 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 6
Apjoshua64
@Apjoshua64IIFT  ·  3,958 karma

@s0110s And by taking the test at home, we'll get the percentiles, ranks etc.? Because otherwise the purpose is defeated (for me).

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
s0110s
@s0110s  ·  66 karma

for all simcats proctored we should be getting ranks and percentiles...even if they are self proctored.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Q7, quant, regarding numbers less than 2016. Is the solution wrong? don't we need to consider 2013, 2014 and 2015 also ?

2 comments
piyushjos4701
@piyushjos4701  ·  501 karma

2>0. They are not increasing. Hence no. We will not consider them

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
am1991
@am1991IIM Ranchi  ·  10 karma

Thank you

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

q.3  rc 1, 'cats who could do calculus' implies??

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...