[2013-2015] SIOM (MBA-Operations) Admission Queries

1,684 Posts  ·  414 Users
About this group
ALOHA! :: Would like to welcome you all onboard a simplified, yet fun-filled and informative Admission Process at SIOM for the academic years 2013-2015(On the onset, some abbreviations...SIOM stands for and always will be "Symbiosis Institute...
Page 1 of 169
@ All:
Please share your GE-PI experiences here:
http://pagalguy.com/forums/xat-snap-iift-and-others/2013-2015-siom-mba-ope-t-93974/p-3622048/r-4588385?page=1

This old thread has served its purpose and might be shut down going ahead.
Srikanth Pradhan - Batch of '12-'14
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@akki31388 said:
My GD/Pi experience on 2nd feb in 1:30 slothere it goes 1) The moment I entered, all were offered lunch but I had my breakfast just 20 mins ago so I skipped it and also lied to seniors to avoid any more questions by them as why I didnt had lunch 2) Registration was smooth and again offered snacks and writing material.3) First we had Extempore - 1 min to think and 1 min to speak I was lucky that I was the first in group (you will know why I am lucky when you face for yourself). Made a blast there, eventually groupmate appreciated me " well said"There were people in my group who couldn't speak for a minute, that looked very embarrasing, so make sure whatever you do atleast you speak for a minute.4) Then we remain seated at same place and were given a situation to discuss. I felt the topic wasnt having any depth. But I managed to speak 2nd in the group ( 1st guy was just telling what is the problem that we are facing here, had to interupt him as he was wasting crucial time) After that I contributed for 5-6 times with.5) Interview - OMG, I think I did blunder, I was asked about my biggest failure in life and from that they said that I am casual towards things. Had hard time concinving themBut apart from that everything was good, as per my planning6) Small essay about a topic I was ready as I prepared myself to face such things. As the time started I thought for 2 mins as how I will write and then I was unstoppable All I can say is I rate my GD/PI- 3.5/5Good experience. Same was the case with me on next day at SIMS All the best folks. Come prepared dont be casual.
Would appreciate it if you could move this to the new thread that was created a couple of weeks ago dedicated to GE-PI discussions.
This thread might be shut down going ahead.
Srikanth Pradhan - Batch of '12-'14
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

My GD/PI Experience:

It was my first B-School GE/PI experience and the last for this year.

My first view of the campus is as follows:
1. It was supposedly the smallest campus i have ever seen in my life. Even my school had better infrastructure than the college. Sorry to say, but that's the truth.

2. I entered the lobby next. It was nice. Nice space. It turned out to be a badminton court. No doubt, SIOM is good at Operations #Optimized usage of resources

3. Then came the video showing good things about SIU and SIOM. Video was really nice and true. The saying by Dr. S.B Mazumdar touched my heart. "Train your brain to think innovative, train your heart to be compassionate and train your belly to be passionate (correct me if i am wrong here)" . The point why i mentioned here is that the room was really nice. It tried to be an AUDITORIUM but couldn't succeed.

Now coming to the GE/PI

Registration was smooth. Volunteers were really helpful.

GE:

Thought the moderator said we call it a GE instead of GD...but in the end when it concluded, it felt like it was more of a GD than an exercise.

GE also had an extempore..Fumbled a bit, but carried it through one min.

PI:
1st Question: How you doing? P.S Not the Joey way #HIMYM

I am an engineer from a reputed college which also has MBA course which also reputed.

2nd question: Why don't you go back to your UG college for MBA
Ans: I don't have a good CAT Score.

3rd Question: Why?
Ans: I didn't prepare well for CAT.

4th Question: Then how did you get a good score in SNAP (95+%le).
Ans: Till the time SNAP came, i prepared a bit. (he caught me here)

5th Question: You are not cleat what to do in life! Whatever you are getting in, you are taking that up!
Ans: Yes! I am doing that. I have learned one thing in my life till now that it is not necessary that at a point of time, given the situations, you will not get exactly what you want. So whatever opportunity I am getting I should take and perform my best there!! (gained positivity here) :).

He grilled me here and asked me my SNAP score. I told him my score to the 3rd decimal. Also told him the order of my performance. Best to worst and also the percentage I got. He got convinced here that i didn't score well in a Fluke!!!

6th Question: Did you prepare last year for CAT?
Ans: No! I was involved in my project!

7th Question: Which Project?
Ans: Told nicely about the technology I was working on! They got impressed!! :)

8th Question: You were in placement committee of your institute. What were your responsibilities!
Ans: Facilitate placements, interact with HR, propagate company's expectations to students after talking to HR. Arrange mock placement activities and learn (can't say train them) with the other students who were weak at communication skills

9th Question: Ok, So you were placed in the company you were working just because you were in placement committee?
Ans: Hell No!! (I just said "Not actually") We had a transparent process.

10th Question: Were you amongst the first persons of your college to be selected?
Ans. Yes!!
They said: Very Good

11th Question: Do you have any question?
Me: What is it about SIOM that makes it very special about Operations
Interviewer: Well, i expect you might have visited our website. That's all I can tell about SIOM. That's the max info. Nothing is hidden which is good about the Institute...

It ended here with a warm hand shake!!

I felt that being honest is the best policy....

ATB

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

My GD/Pi experience on 2nd feb in 1:30 slot
here it goes
1) The moment I entered, all were offered lunch but I had my breakfast just 20 mins ago so I skipped it and also lied to seniors to avoid any more questions by them as why I didnt had lunch
2) Registration was smooth and again offered snacks and writing material.
3) First we had Extempore - 1 min to think and 1 min to speak
I was lucky that I was the first in group (you will know why I am lucky when you face for yourself). Made a blast there, eventually groupmate appreciated me " well said"
There were people in my group who couldn't speak for a minute, that looked very embarrasing, so make sure whatever you do atleast you speak for a minute.
4) Then we remain seated at same place and were given a situation to discuss. I felt the topic wasnt having any depth. But I managed to speak 2nd in the group ( 1st guy was just telling what is the problem that we are facing here, had to interupt him as he was wasting crucial time) After that I contributed for 5-6 times with.
5) Interview - OMG, I think I did blunder, I was asked about my biggest failure in life and from that they said that I am casual towards things. Had hard time concinving them
But apart from that everything was good, as per my planning
6) Small essay about a topic I was ready as I prepared myself to face such things. As the time started I thought for 2 mins as how I will write and then I was unstoppable
All I can say is I rate my GD/PI- 3.5/5
Good experience. Same was the case with me on next day at SIMS

All the best folks. Come prepared dont be casual.

Give me some sunshine :/
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

My GD/Pi experience on 2nd feb in 1:30 slot

here it goes

1) The moment I entered, all were offered lunch but I had my breakfast just 20 mins ago so I skipped it and also lied to seniors to avoid any more questions by them as why I didnt had lunch

2) Registration was smooth and again offered snacks and writing material.

3) First we had Extempore - 1 min to think and 1 min to speak

I was lucky that I was the first in group (you will know why I am lucky when you face for yourself). Made a blast there, eventually groupmate appreciated me " well said"

There were people in my group who couldn't speak for a minute, that looked very embarrasing, so make sure whatever you do atleast you speak for a minute.

4) Then we remain seated at same place and were given a situation to discuss. I felt the topic wasnt having any depth. But I managed to speak 2nd in the group ( 1st guy was just telling what is the problem that we are facing here, had to interupt him as he was wasting crucial time) After that I contributed for 5-6 times with.

5) Interview - OMG, I think I did blunder, I was asked about my biggest failure in life and from that they said that I am casual towards things. Had hard time concinving them

But apart from that everything was good, as per my planning

6) Small essay about a topic I was ready as I prepared myself to face such things. As the time started I thought for 2 mins as how I will write and then I was unstoppable

All I can say is I rate my GD/PI- 3.5/5

Good experience. Same was the case with me on next day at SIMS

All the best folks. Come prepared dont be casual.

Give me some sunshine :/
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@jishan.9289 said:
Can anyone suggest nearby budget hotels to stay?
try these:
1. Hotel Abhishek : 10 km from SIOM, Rs 400-500!! http://www.hotelabhishek.com
2. Hotel Pooja International: 10 km, Rs 1000.
3. Hotel Grand Ashwin: very near,
use google to find phone nos. last one is mentioned in SIOM website too.

Use the GE-PI thread for latest!!

Never cheat your honest dream!!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Can anyone suggest nearby budget hotels to stay?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

sir i have 82% in snap 12
10th - 82
12th - 54
BE mech - 63
Work ex - 26 months as of now
If i do convert siom then during placements would i be eligible cos of 54% in 12th.....need an honest reply..

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
anyone from delhi???
i have my gd-pi on 7th feb..
This Honeymoon Period for getting Onboard with your Own Company is really Boring \Bored/
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...