[2011] XLRI GD/PI Experiences BM and HRM/PMIR

255 Posts  ·  198 Users
About this group
Hi everyone, (Copying, pasting and editing from last year post) On the eve of the interviews, I know that people would be hell lot busy preparing for the final showdown. Therefore I take this opportunity to start off the thread which wou...
Page 1 of 26
Kingofdworld Says
Converted. First waitlist alone moved more than 55.

Congratulations...
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Penned down is my XLRI interview. Sorry for posting it late. Was busy with a lot of things and finally my last day at work was yesterday and decided to do it now.

This interview is for the course: BM
XAT percentile: 99.25
Interview Centre: Chennai

Educational Profile
X: 92
XII: 97
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age: 8.6
Any other professional certification or course undertaken: Nah.

Work profile (if applicable)
Number of years: Sector/Industry: Electronics(14 months) and Analytics (9 months)
Special achievements at work:
Other differentiating factors (anything great that you have done in life, that's out of the ordinary):

About the panel
Panelists Intro: Prof. SKD, Prof. Munish Thakur, Prof. Uday Damodaran.

PI Questions:
1. (As I enter) What's your height?!! (I am tall for a girl I have heard. )
2. What does your name mean? Do you like it? (Said something and they laughed)
3. Where did you study(while looking at my certs/mark sheets)? I answer and it was followed by questions on my city. (intro about city, what the current issues were etc.)
5. So tell me why you want to do an MBA? I answer at length.. followed by cross questions. They were amused by my answer. (More on this later.)
6. Do you know about the Finance Commission? :lookround:
7. Tell me about your work. Analytics blah blah.. Predictive modelling blah blah..
8. So is analytics art or science? (blah fest)
9. Some questions on null hypothesis(statistics).
10. You did engineering from ABCD? Don't you think you wasted that engineering seat? (Some more blah.)
11. So you have such high marks in board exams? Is it really easy to get marks in that board? How good are your scores? What's your rank in school?(A question I could have handled better. Said my score was not awesome but definitely very good. And mentioned my school rank which was within top 10. But what I could have said and din't is this - My school had a few state rankers.)
12. What are the rivers that flow from east to west in our country? :lookround:
13. What is constitution? Name a country that is a republic but not a democratic one and give an example for vice versa. :lookround:

While leaving, one of the profs said good luck for my future plans. I said that's exactly what I would do later in my life if I get an admit. :)

Don't remember if there were other questions. On the whole the interview happened for 20 minutes exactly. They followed time very strictly. :thumbsup: Nobody had to wait for long. :cheerio:

Result: Straight convert.

Any other details that you think are relevant:
It would be good to be organised in terms of the interview. Being there on time and being dressed appropriately are only parts of it. Having the certificates arranged chronologically will be useful. For instance, you could place all the cricket certs one after the other with the more important ones in the beginning, followed by literary certs etc. Also in XLRI interview, there was no form to fill, hence carrying resume is a good idea. And carrying one copy of resume for each panelist is even better. :thumbsup:

Your advice for future aspirants:
1. Be yourself. You must have heard this a lot of times. Find out why you really want to do an MBA and whether you are passionate about it. Having a convincing why MBA answer is half work done in the GD/PI process. So have a strong case. During my mock interviews both time and cl people(some of them) advised me not to mention my reason for doing an MBA since they thought it might not be such a safe answer. But in both the interviews where I was asked that question I said what I truly believed in and both the panelists were amused if not happy to hear that. 😃 Have a strong story and be genuine about it.
2. Focus on your work. CAT is only a part of a race, the finish line of which most of us don't know. But becoming an expert in your job/changing job to do something you like can help in the long run and who knows you may like it so much that you may not want to do an MBA. And maybe you will outshine people with MBAs from top colleges after a few years.

Disclaimer: All things mentioned as advice are based on my experience. People may disagree/groan. But take it with a pinch of salt. And good luck. :)

And oh yeah I am joining XLRI - BM. 😉

1 like
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Converted. First waitlist alone moved more than 55.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Btw, no other converts or even chances of converting. So XL is my only hope. I'm waiting for the waitlist to move now. Will update later.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Waitlisted at 46 for HRM. Pretty hopeful of getting through. Last year the waitlist moved till 87 for HRM.
Had a poor GD. Could get in only one sentence, which no one seemed to hear. Interview was a novel experience. I was asked why i couldn't do my GD well. Then I was asked about my height, what I eat, what i do as a hobby, my native place, what I liked about Marina Beach, what was the geopolitical significance of Obama 's visit to India. I remember giving a few answers which did impress them and quite a few which didn't. Spoke about my poor academics and reasons for it. I don't think i convinced them on this point. They followed it up with a smiling comment on my appetite, which made us all laugh. Came out thinking, no way I'll get in, but this was one very good experience. Don't quite know how I managed to get so lucky as to even be on the waitlist.
Am a fresher. Acads: 10th 92, 12th 81, B.E. 63 :-)
XAT 99.93, with a score of 99.98 in verbal and 76.39 in reasoning. The panelists were shaking their heads over this wierd stat 😉 Anyhow hope this is useful to future aspirants.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I was in the second list, and i converted my PMIR call

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
mpsdas Says
anyone from the 2nd list who made it?

I'm also eager to know if there is anyone from 2nd list who made it but hardly it matters as XLRI hopefully would not repeat the same mistake twice.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
mpsdas Says
were u in the first list or second?

first list..!!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
BM convert..
I am so so so happy today.. !!!!

were u in the first list or second?