[2011-2013] IIM Kozhikode GD/PI Experiences

281 Posts  ·  133 Users
About this group
All the best to everyone and please post your interviews. Please try to conform with the format given below so we can all have idea why a particular question has been asked to you. PROFILE: Acads: X XII Undergrad Major - GPA/%age...
Page 1 of 29

well !! well !! well !! i suppose now this thread should be closed and the on going discussion can be continued on " pi getters thread"...huh ?

secondly bangy- come on yaar, i no doubt respect your thoughts and i agree too some fault have been made by institute during admission, bt at the end of the day by calling this institute " no more deserving" aren't you demeaning the efforts of those who have got only call from this one ? let it be their effort of 1o and 12 only which is paying them off..as a student and MBA aspirant i think we should sincerely respect the decisions of professors and without much more spamming, anxiously should be waiting for results..:cheerio:

cheers

ps: mods u can close this thread, we can continue on" PI GETTERS THREAD"..

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Dear future IIMians, I hope you've read the title of the thread. It is to post your GDPI experiences and not to have a GD here There is nothing you can get fighting reservations here hiding behind a username. All it leads to is eating up of valuable space and inter-personal hatred. Fight karna hi hai to personally mil ke karo na. Why show the world what prospective IIM K grads are made of

Kindly stick to the purpose of the thread and if there are no experiences to be put, kindly let us know 😃

Captain, PG Dream Team 2010 | CAT 11 - 100%ile | CET 10 - Rank 1 (211/240) | Co-founder Learningroots
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Nice to read your analysis.. Its thorough and to some extent its true.. But lets analyse the last yrs and last to last yr analysis.... first last yr ... last yr IIMK waitlist moved by some 60-70 odd places general and arnd 50 for obcs and 20-30 for sc/sts... why ??? becoz they had given UNIQUE calls.. and its true...agreed... girls ratio = 33% of the batch.. (In IIMA its 11%) .. now last to last yr... Waitlist moved by a hell 275 odd places for general... and in the similar fashion for reserved categories... Why??? A lot of overlap with biggies... Its a severe blow to the reputation of a budding IIM..

Now, i cannot comment on WL but look at the batch profile of the two years year i.e. 2009-11 batch and compare it with 2010-12 batch. There is a difference in the work-exp of the students. Did they call students with low percentiles based on 10th and 12th scores ? (No 2 stages of form filling but still similar weightages. sectionals are different)

http://files.testfunda.com/Content/misc/other/CAT-2009-Criteria-for-Shortlisting_IIMK.pdf

And 08's criteria - http://testfunda.com/Content/MISC/CAT2008ShortlistCriteria/iimk_criteria.pdf

If they follow a criteria of 93 sectionals and 98 overlap there has to be overlap.People who do well in GD/PI do well in most of their GDs/PIs. We need to realise that just CAT scores are not the single most important criteria for admission into a management institute. See IIM-B from their admission criteria to alumni base. So even IIM-K has tried to modify its criteria to find the right balance over the two years.

just capture the lost out crowd and leave the higher percentilers... and in every industry there is huge demand for girls.. and its a bitter fact that if a girl and a boy remains in a job for the same duration of time the goodwill factor of a girl grows exponentially with time... Just in the similar way when u are in college and ur profs are always biased towards the girls and ur relative grading suffrs due to them (and mind u relative grading is there in IIMK too and with 40% girls u are already behind atleast by 30% of the girls).. when every iim is creating a brand iimk is trying to brand itself for girl education so that a gud looking girl after passing out from IIMK get married to a hunk from IIMA and there goes a healthy industry relationship with a huge alum base... and their hubby base too... and who are at loss WE GUYS...

Now, firstly the 40% (if at all they manage to find so many girls) would be across all all categories as a whole and not individually. So its not that only 90 seats for guys in general. I am sure decent number of reserved category girls appear for CAT. And then "Diversity" includes girls. Check 2008-10 batch profile. 9 out of 11 commerce graduates are girls.

P.S. Lets just wait for the results now, as we all will jump to take final admissions if converted, despite the criteria and prejudices of the institute. On a lighter note, once on campus, guys at IIMK would appreciate the "diversity" around(read girls).
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
dtankur Says
Can someone throw some light on how much is the 1st installment of IIM K and how much buffer time is given to pay that amount.. Since already we have to make payments to other colleges would request the seniors or any fellow Puy to answer this query...

50 k is first installmet...u get 15 days.Know this from last year.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Can someone throw some light on how much is the 1st installment of IIM K and how much buffer time is given to pay that amount.. Since already we have to make payments to other colleges would request the seniors or any fellow Puy to answer this query...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

This is not done !!... a nervous junior going through this thread next year to help him with his GD/PI does not need this BS. If you still want to go on with it please find another suitable thread.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Dear lady

I have just one question.....

suppose in every hospital doctors list is put up mentioning their category general and reserved...and u have ur most near and dear one in danger....which category doctor will u approach first

i am ready for a 80 percent reservation provided all MPs and Politicians sign a bond that they will be treated only by the doctors who have become doctors due to reservation, in case of emergency

God forbid ...if anythinh untoward happens and I dont make it to IIM K and you make it ,,will you still say the same things to me?
I am not telling you to do 'Om jai Jagdish' while you work the hardest for interview prep..
If you dont have faith on 'om','Jai' or 'Jagdish'...then atleast have faith on something....maybe ur very own self and the hard work you have put on.
And yes,if this very cushion you do mention exists on my behind...again its by God's grace....

dear friend...why direct so much hate towards me????
I am no IIM K qualifyeee...just a person like u waiting for results

PS:mere dost ...me bhi bahut pn c kiya karti thi,end me mera bohot dimaag kharaab ho gaya aur maine bohot valuable time waste kiya.Agar mera ho jaata hai IIM K me iska matlab they saw something in me agar nahin hota hai to why wud I bother how many apart from me...got thru....I will just move on.
XLRI School of Business and Human Resources BM-2012-14 Batch Member- PGDT'11, UDT'10, KDT'10
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@saurabhrai123...

ok so I am 'damsel in distress'.As u say dear saurabh.
Who said,you dont have ur own issues?As you wrote this and expressed ur unhappiness towards me,I saw you as a human being and not as engineer boy or general candidate or quota or anything else.

I wrote this to only say to everyone...do we have anything in our hands at this end moment when results are abt to be declared in next 10 days????? Can you do anything else saurabh???
Why take it as anything else...I am sure you too must be going to temple.When you go to temple tum kya bhagwaan se ye maangte ho

O God...abolish all ppl who have stablished quota..
O God....make iim k take only 0 gals

nahin na...
u only wish that ki tumhaara ho jaaye iim k me and thats it .U just make a personal wish.And when you hate me for getting an advantage lfor just being a gal...lemme tell u ...I wrote this Cat 4th time and all 3 times I had percentiles ranging 95-99...to fir us time ye advantage kahaan tha?I kudnt do my best and ence I didnt qualify.
Even if I gave my best ,maybe I was intended to study somewhere else.Tum kitna bhi soch lo ...gals quota and all...not all gals who gave iim k interview wud qualify.
Just wish for urself that no matter how bitter the situation,u qualifu because u gave it ur best and if u still hate me....np.

PS:Dear Saurabh,I sincerely wish that in future,someday,when you are at your lowest and you tell it to some1 or to world,others dont label you as 'sad','miserable','man in distress'.I hope no 1 laughs at you like you laughed at my 'trivial' problems .

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

no there isn't

IIM K has called around 1500 general candidates for 150 general seats....and in all likelihood there would be at max 300 girls in that 1500 now if 40 percent of general seats is reserved then 1200 guys for 90 seats remains......

Though i am still in favour of the reservation for girls and genuine ph candidates...but then it should be restricted to there itself...the best part is a candidate who will use reservation to get into IIM K and after an equal level of knowledge opportunities also he will again get reservation during PSU recruitment's if any.....not just there..during all the promotion opportunities he will use it....and then ofcourse he will marry and his children will come in a rich family and won't study for 19 years and then use reservation to get into IIT's and then after passing 4 years use reservation to get into IIM's and the story will continue till eternity

my dear friend,

you should not think that any college is biased against engineers....or even any other stream. already these colleges have more than 80% engineers and its not because of any reservation bt becoz dey are a talented lot....da problem now is that they are too many engineers and everybody wants the bst college and with reservation and diversity debate going on, the competition heats up lyk a volcano

dont mind my friend bt even if we beleive that there is this unsaid quota for gals, there still are many many seats up for grabs and we ve to giv our best for it becoz dis debate has no meaning, if we are so unhappy den we should put a pil in supreme court.........

please dont stress yourself so much, u ve given ur best and lets hope that ur result is good:cheerio:. al da bst
XLRI School of Business and Human Resources BM-2012-14 Batch Member- PGDT'11, UDT'10, KDT'10
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
ice princess Says
Hey guys,I wont deny this fact that general boys are the hardest hit.I really feel this ....I really do but its not like as a girl I am shamelessly taking advantage of belonging to fairer sex and enjoying fruits of not much hard toil.Being a girl,you face other issues.Had I not cleared some calls out of 5 that I received (SP Jain,IMI,IMT,VGSOM,IIM K),I would have been married off but even after marriage I would have been so unhappy as doing MBA was my dream.

We all have dreams. Having dreams doesn't mean you get to realize them and I don't.

ice princess Says
I am sure there are many gals who would agree with me.....Your point was very valid that many girls can attempt to write CAT fewer times.Thats because there are emotional issues,marriage etc.We might not be in right frame of mind.

Really , Now its job of the IIM to worry about those 'other issues'? Is Ministry for Women and Child welfare non-existant?

When my intended better half was in NITIE doing MBA and I used to fill out his summer internship forms,I used to ask God with tears ....Will I be ever able to do this for me? MBA was my dream and I saw so many before me fulfilling it.Being a topper and all,it used to batter my ego like anything that if they can do it...cant I?I used to squander away my CAT prerp as my boyfriend was too busy in his MBA and I had to make all efforts from my side to be with him.I had to undergo so much hardship.I had no money,no good career growth trajectory,no hope....nothing.And for what??? As I myself chose the foolish path of being with the one I cared for and leaving everything behind.Then after his MBA ,he had job pressure plus his family came to stay with him.And instead of sweet ending that I had hoped for after 2 years of his MBA......I now had only depression.But there is a God.He took mercy .He must have seen my plight.He unexpected gave me ok percentile in CAT 2010 and I bagged 5 calls including IIM K.That day ,I struck a bargain with him.I told him.I will dry my tears and prepare my best for interview but you please guide me.
And I have still promised God that no matter what if I convert IIM K,I will first be agood and dutiful human and I wont commit all those mistakes I did earlier.You will see me working the hardest for 2 years.

You wrote your sad tale of misery,distress and emotional turmoil and how you were a 'damsel in distress'. Surprisingly, only three words reverberate through out your narration - Boyfriend, tears & God ( for once I thought I m reading a santabanta.com relationship forum. ).

Do you think other guys don't have any emotional investment in their goals. We all have. Have others not made great sacrifices to squeeze somehow that little time to work through 'Time and distance' problems ( in both literal and figurative sense). May be some are not as forthcoming to tell their mushy gooey fantasy of a career vs a relationship as you did. Your harrowing tale of 'filling summer internship form for him' 'I used to squander away my CAT prep as my Boyfriend ...' & 'I had to make all efforts from my side to be with him'gives me chill in the spine to think how pathetically flawed your idea of 'the most appropriate candidate for a seat in one of the highly esteemed institution' is.

ice princess Says
As I myself chose the foolish path of being with the one I cared for and leaving everything behind.Then after his MBA ,he had job pressure plus his family came to stay with him.And instead of sweet ending that I had hoped for after 2 years of his MBA......I now had only depression.

Is that why you deserve it ?? Some 'Return of Good Karma but in some other metamorphic form"

ice princess Says
Why am I writing all this????Because we girls have our own quota of disappointments,miseries and emotional darkness.You boys are emotionally harder .No matter whatever happens,you will brush it aside,get up with bright sunshine and brace yourself for the fight ahead.And me??? Well personally,I will shed copious tears and make deals with God asking for his extra hand behind me and after bit dillydallying will go back to work.

After all the loose talks about 'women empowerment' and 'equal opportunity' here comes the slinger .

You boys are emotionally harder' You ll be knocked down & punched. ( Sc/ST reservation) You ll be kicked in the groin, bruised and ripped,( NC-OBC ) But since boys are emotionally harder, they ll get up, brush themeselves up and stand to be simply slapped again by such BS ( 40% reservation for raging hormones)

I m all Gung - ho about it.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...