[2010] ISB Admissions Director Dr VK Menon's Official Admission Query Thread

456 Posts  ·  202 Users
About this group
Dear all, The tradition continues. For the fourth year in a row, ISB's *Senior Director, Career Advancement Services and Admissions & Financial Aid, Mr VK Menon* is back on PaGaLGuY to answer all your questions about ISB PGP admissions, ...
Page 1 of 46

The 2011 thread is now active here - http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2011-isb-hyds-admissions-director-mr-vk-menon-answers-admission-related-questions-25066866

Please continue on the above linked thread.

This one stands closed.

I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

The 2011 thread is now active here - http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2011-isb-hyds-admissions-director-mr-vk-menon-answers-admission-related-questions-25066866

Please continue on the above linked thread.

This one stands closed.

I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Why I couldnt apply for the ISB-YLP

I am Raghav R a student currently in my third year studying at National Institute of Technology Surathkal rated amongst the top ten institutes in the country.

I was deeply intrigued by the Young Leaders Programme, the structure of which comes as benefactor of sorts to people like me who are struggling to make the transition from technical to a managerial pursuit concomitant with my ambitions. While I appreciate the conceptualisation of the programme especially its pragmatic selection criterion, one that does not ask of students to go into an aptitude enhancing frenzy I have certain serious reservations.

I find some structural impediments that deter a lot of us from applying to the YLP, the primary reason being the timelines which straightjacket us from choosing to write the GMAT at our convenience. While the HBS 2+2 gives us a lot of flexibility giving us time up to March 2012 and also allow us to send either the GRE or the GMAT score I find it strange that YLP does not afford me that liberty.

Our current peers in the second year who are aware of the YLP have at least a year to plan their GMAT out so as to fit YLP into their scheme of things but we certainly stand disadvantaged. I might be interning at the London School of Economics this summer and it would be at heavy cost that I can divert my attention to write the GMAT during this period, the score of which has implications much beyond just the YLP programme.

Though I can no longer apply for the same, I think the admissions team need to restructure the timelines so that the next set of students are not disadvantaged

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Mr Menon

Can you please let me know whether CA Article ship, which is full time working under a CA and part of CA curriculum, considered as work experience. Different people have different ideas. Since article ship started after graduation, it should be considered.

Thanks !

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Dear Mr. Menon,

I am looking at applying to ISB. I work in the Entertainment and Media industry in a professional capacity and have been doing so for the past 10 years. The move to gain a business degree has been on the cards for a long time but the opportunity has just now materialized. Unlike most of my peers here, I have been away from academics for far too long and don't have a math / science background. And I have average academic scores. What I have, that could be a positive, is loads of India and International work experience, quite a few extra curricular interests, and a clear goal on why I want a business degree.

I have 3 questions pertaining to my situation.
1- How important is a strong GMAT score in the selection process? My first attempt at a test gave me a score of 510 and though I know that there is only room for improvement, I don't expect to reach the kind of dizzying scores I see so often in these forums. Will my GMAT score be evaluated on the same basis as others from a more favorable background?
2- The same goes for academics. Lets just say my focus was more on all round exposure than just academics.
3- Do you have student bodies / alumni / or other, that can advice on people coming from Entertainment and Media industry.

What kind of chance does an applicant like me have. I see that you are reluctant to discuss weights for different selection parameters. Do you think work experience, good recommendations, essays etc can balance out the obvious weaknesses in other areas. Any feedback will be appreciated and will help before I put in my application.

EDIT: I am not asking for a profile review (having seen quite a few comments on that matter). Just need clarity in this case. And I'm sure there will be others with similar profiles

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
hi Puys,

Does ISB, Hyderabad accept average GMAT score of say 2 years or best of 2 while taking admission. Please help.

Thanks in Advance
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Dear Sir,

I am a final year undergraduate and currently placed. My joining would be from october'11 (expected), but after my joining, there would be a 4 month training session and then we'll be put on a 6 month probation period and after its successful completion we would be regarded as employees......so my query is that will my 2 years work ex be counted from which of the following 2 cases:

1. The date we joined the company ( making me eligible to apply for the cycle 2 in 2013).
  2. The date when we would be completely regarded as the employees.

I would be obliged if I could get a answer for the given query.

--Himanshu Aggrawal
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Dear Mr.Menon,
I am a marine engineer with four years of work experience.
I had two queries.
1.For an applicant from shipping background, does ISB consider the total period of employment as work experience, or just the period of actual sailing?
2. Regarding recommendations from immediate superiors, it is very difficult to get access to their locations once one has finished a contract. secondly, it is quite possible that they would be away on a ship at the the time of evaluation without any access to the internet.

kindly advise
thanks

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Dear Mr. Menon,

I am planning to apply to ISB. But prior to that, I would like to know, given my current profile, if I stand any chance.

Grade X: 69.4 %
Grade XII: 73.0%
Engineering: 72.6% (Civil)

Pretty low marks, considering the competition. Other parameters being pretty good(GMAT score:720, work-ex of 3 years, decent extra-curriculars), do I stand a chance of a call?

Regards

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello Mr. Menon,

I must say that I have tried reading all the posts here before giving you a redundant query. But after about 20 pages of query reading, I just was bursting at my seams to write to you with a few questions. Please pardon me if they are repetitive.

I am a NIFT graduation class of 2007 in Apparel Production.

1. I worked at a retail apparel brand starting out as a Management trainee who was put into branding and marketing (without relevant course work). I believe this was because of the leadership role I displayed during my undergraduate project.

2. After having worked for 2.5 yrs in apparel (relevant industry) and done a swell job (I wont elaborate on that here), I got an opportunity to work with a leading Conglomerate in India. One of the biggest in the holiday, tractors and cars sector (I think you can guess which one). I now handle marketing and PR for one of the holiday brands of the group for the past 1.5 yrs.

3. I have shifted to this industry which the reasoning that getting out of the apparel sector will test my abilities at versatality. I would also be able to display my abilities in marketing outside my own industry and also without an MBA which is a rare thing I presume.

4. Although I have learnt a lot on this job, I have not yet felt that comfort level or felt that I have been utilised well on this job.

5. I have shown a lot of leadership abilities, proactiveness and have been recognised well in the previous job, but in my new job, this confidence and comfort level has been established because of which I must admit that there are no significant "Achievements" but a lot of learning.

6. This is exactly the reason for me to believe I need an MBA. To be able to gain confidence in a mainstream marketing role in larger corporates

7. I seem to also have trouble with being given responsibility or authority with teams. Mainly becasue I am just 25 yrs old and with no MBA my credibility and ability to handle leadership seems to be doubted.

So now with this background, I have to ask you the following questions

1. Will my suddenly stagnated proactiveness in the new job reflect like I've lost it?
2. Will I look inconsistent because of the industry changes?
3. The recos of the new boss might sound like he's talking about an entirely different person if you compare it with the reco of the old boss.. What advice would you give me on this?

Thanks
Sadhvika

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...