[2009] Kolkata Dream Team

1,275 Posts  ·  117 Users
About this group
Please use this thread to make your nominations for the Kolkatta Dream Team.. Kindly wait for your mentor's post & then start nominating For general discussions, kindly use the link below http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/cat-an...am-2009-a.h...
Page 1 of 128
puys i had something to share with all of you and as nobody has shared there experience so am taking this opportunity...
as many of u might be knowin that KOLKATA puys visted IIM c yesterday:grin:...i was one of the lucky ones.:-P..and for me it was like ek ke sath ek muft...as i meet the man whom i rever most after DADA...the 3rd name of persistence...who proved that if u want somethin from the core of your heart u will get it...am talkin bout none other than AMIT AGARWAL:clap::clap:...whose posts in all i wanted to speak about cat is known to almost every CAT aspirant who has visited PG i believe...
both he and rohan mahajan(another IIM C guy who cracked CAT in 1 attempt and happens to be junior to me by age but senior to me accordin intellect)
it was an wonderful experience...we tuk a look at every possible thing
startin from the lakes to the honour board:w00t:(where the name of top 5 students every year gets listed)...and we also had the opportunity to get some tips from the two geniuses...like how to tackle CAT or our weakness or what after CAT etc(no placement talks) ...but end of the day what touched the most was the big entrance gate where it is written in big words
INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT ,CALCUTTA
outside which u are someone who is kind of incomplete but inside which u get the feelin u are complete(this are all my own views and can differ with any of u puys)
man that was some experience...puys cat is coming closer so get ready
p.s:i am very busy with my own schedule as i am going to join CTS tommorow so did not have much time to make a good encouraging post...sorry for that
ATB
signing of opening batsman KDT and UDT(28th nov 10 am CAT dunga yaar ...khudko opener to bol hi sakta hu)

All the very best friend nd thanx a lot for sharing ur exp... god bless u..
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

i think u have faired enough well and should be satisfied with what u get...because from my personal experience i can say...things not always improve in the next year,it may detoriate n if dat happens u are never going to forgive yourself...because motivation decreases buddy..rest is ur choice..

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

in kolkata i can guarantee that time is far best than other coaching centres,although i am an ims student..but through out india..competetion is much high in ims...so it's your choice buddy

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hi, i am Nataraj dutta from kolkata...i am currently pursuing B.tech in electronics engineering...and currently in 3rd year,but my entire aim and focus is to bell the cat...i am finding little tough in managing both engineering studies and ims classes...but i am ready to sacrifice anything for cat..i believe in will power...i have failed in life many times and honestly never got what i wanted..but still i do realize it's my sure will power and my smiling face has made me able to stand where i am currently standing...i passed my schooling fron St. xavier's school, kolkata.i know what a brand name does to people n i am motivated enough to get admission in one of the good B-schools...as a person i am very optimistic..i like challenges in every part of my life...life without challenges is very boring to me...and i am a firm believer of the quote "Winners don't do different things,but they do things differently"..i love to win in any game be it indoor or outdoor..life is very cruel to me...as i have experienced that god never listens to me but when he gives something he gives it with a big heart...well this is a brief intro of me...i am dying to get any place for this team...when i heard of pagalguy from my ims teacher...i just cannot stop browsing this site..well to achieve something very big in life..you have to be insane...it's better to be for the good.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey can u let me know which CAT coaching institute is best in Kolkata??? As I will be taking CAT2011 for the first time. Can u suggest if BYJUS,TIMES FUNDA,TIME,CL or IMS is gud?? PPL are sying about BYJUS but is it helpful bcoz it is only video conferencing??? So plz let me know about the classroom sessionwhich will be the best??? jst help me out...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

So there it ends...a season which promised so much has ultimately ended in a major disappointment for me..

Ended up at around 45 in the IIM-C waitlist....no point discussing what if seats had not been reduced, what if results for all IIMs had come out together as always, what if trends had been followed...there's no place for ifs and buts...the bottomline is i could not convert and that is the only thing that matters...nobody will look into what percentile or calls u had...the only thing that counts is where u ended up..

In a way, not getting calls is better than coming so near yet being so far...i won't get into the details of how exactly i feel now...just the fact that getting back the enthusiasm and focus is a big challenge..just not in the mood right now..

Why i didn't join MDI or whether that was a foolish decision are not relevant...i certainly don't regret not going there but i do feel terrible not being able to convert either A or C after getting calls from arguably the two best mba institutes in our country..

Amidst all the ups and downs of the season, Pagalguy is the one thing that has been a solid support and in a time like this, PG is what look upto for inspiration...without PG i would probably not even have reached the position to write this post...thank u PG...i may not have suceeded in terms of results this season but i sure have imbibed within me the inasanity of a puy and more importantly the fighting spirit of an underdog and i hope to continue getting the same motivation and support from here..

The season may be over but the dream is still unfulfilled...and i will not give up till i succeed..

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/mock-scores-repository-2010-25050562

Okay,too much of serious statements.....time for more interesting stuff ...the best thing about not joining a b-skul this yr is i get to watch the World Cup uninterrupted while the b-schoolers have already started slogging and not getting time to catch up on the greatest show on earth...take that!

Signing off now with wonderful memories of the season and KDT '09.....with a promise to myself...
I shall be back!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi all,

Did not join MDI...if not IIMC this yr, i shall be back for CAT 2010!

Decision taken against the advice of most people(including some stalwarts like "The DON" himself \____-__O/) ...just hope that i end up justifying it! :)

I had to join an MBA program without posting in the thread "ALL I WANTED TO SPEAK ABOUT CAT".

U can write the post now too...but i will advise u not to, the story is still unfinished and u know what i mean!! ;)

Regards...
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

Posting after a long long time. And why not? Who will be in a mood to post after getting 70.2 in VA in CAT and that also after attempting all 20 in a healthy 42 minutes.....

Well, to be very frank CAT2009 has been a disappointment and not only that, it actually took away all the hopes that I had for IIMs. Mind it, I am not underestimating myself rather I do not have any hopes regarding the thing that a better evaluation method will develop for CAT2010.

MDI was my lone call from CAT this season. I had IIT-B via JMET but I did not go to Mumbai to face the interview as it was scheduled just 4 days after CAT results came out. And of course, I was in no mood to take up the interview challenge. Even for MDI I did not prepare and just went to take it. Fortunately or unfortunately (that is going to be decided in the upcoming 2 years) I converted PGP-HR and am waitlisted for PGPM.

But what is more important than converting the call is that, I have decided to join MDI. A few days back I myself wrote why I do not want to compromise an IIM tag. There are plenty of reasons for that. But what struck me was nothing but hard core reality. Yes... REALITY. And I felt that there is a word called feasibility which is the first thing that needs to be thought of when a man sets a target for himself. And CAT2009 has shown that for a person with 79.3% in Class XII and a "not so great" engineering college as background, it's infeasible(ya, you can call it tough but I say it's infeasible) to get an IIM call and convert it. I don't know what's going to happen in CAT2010, what will be their criteria...may be it won't be so harsh as of this year but I am really not in a position to take that risk. I left TCS because it's not possible for a normal person to stay in an IT company at the very basic level. I joined T.I.M.E with the hope of cracking it this year but somehow GOD had other plans. Now more the time I invest in this sector the deeper the hole I am burying for myself because a work ex in education sector has no value in the corporate world.

Things are really not easy at the moment. If I had not converted my MDI call I would have no option other than trying one more time. But now having a call in my hand (and I hope MDI is not that bad a brand value) I think it will be too much to leave it keeping the current scenario in mind. The biggest question that arises if I leave the call is that what will happen if I take CAT next year, get a decent %tile with no IIM calls(yes, because IIMs no longer give a call if you get decent scores) and only MDI in the bag again? I wil be in the same status as of now and in the meantime I will lose one year.

Still, I know that inspiration is something which goes beyond all these constraints. I still believe that a winner is someone who fights against so many odds and stii emerges as victorious. But at the same time I believe that life is not how you plan it, rather life is just how destiny plans it. And if it is HR for me from MDI then that's it. And if I have an IIM in my destiny then someday I will be there.

It was a great time in PG with so many people slogging together for that coveted IIM call. But I feel very sad as I had to join an MBA program without posting in the thread "ALL I WANTED TO SPEAK ABOUT CAT".

@skr: I salute you for your decision. All the best for the coming CAT.
@suhan: Aur ekbar CAT likh de mere liye.
@first_timer: CAT2010 will be yours.

Thanks to all those who took the pain to read such a long post...

Cheers..................:cheers:

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

A tough season...plummeting mock scores, sagging morale, bedridden for 10 days prior to CAT, results delay, close miss in XL.....whoa, i shud b elated dat i've actually managed to come out of all these with a decent convert!! :wow:

The GD/PI stage went something like this(personal view, disclaimers attached!).....

IIMA-->decent essay, great PI...expected a convert....Verdict~Reject!

IIMC-->bad GD, good PI(but really short)...expected a borderline case...n with seats reduced, verdict was pretty much expected~Waitlist!

MDI-->great GD, good PI...convert expected...Verdict~Convert!

In short, the insti i want most, i'm waitlisted...the insti i expected a convert is a reject and the insti least preferred among my three calls is a convert!!

I bliv there's still a chance at C but then again it's only a chance! 😐

In case C doesn't get converted, practically thinking, there's very little reason not to join mdi...nice infrastructure, experienced faculty, talented peer group n good placements...nothing negative about it!

But will all due respects, i ask myself whether after all these, will i be happy settling for mdi?...will i feel that to be a compromise?...will i look back a few yrs down the line n say "if only one more yr.....!!"...to me the answers r pretty clear..

Yet, giving it up will be a huge risk bcoz i can never predict for sure what will happen next year...and do i have it in me to go thru the whole process one more time, can i slog it out one more yr in this let's say 'not too enticing' job?!!
Also i know dat with a high percentile if i didn't get calls from other IIMs this yr...i won't get it next yr too (probably excepting L bcoz of an increase in work exp by one yr)...with a high score, it will again be A & C...A i can't give a better i/v..and as i saw this yr, dat ain't good enuf for a convert...so, it comes down to C only..n with high sectional cutoffs n huge overall cutoff, one little slip n i may end up with no calls...so is risking so much for so little worth it??

Despite all this, I still C the dream, C the destiny.....

.....but there's little chance of any concrete idea abt waitlist movement emerging before MDI last payment date...so, i do need to take a call n it's anything but easy!!

It's a call between being practical and being emotional, between a safe path and a high risk path, between following reality and following my dreams.............
..........but then again, Underdogs were never really known for following conventions or for treading the beaten path! :)

Regards..

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Well as usual i have another bad news.MDI merit list 1435.IMI convert.not yet sure about IMI!!!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...