2 Years Vs 1 Year MBA Programme

35 Posts  ·  33 Users
About this group
This is my first post and my apologies if this topic has been discussed earlier. I tried to use the search function of this forum but could not get meaningful discussion on this topic. In general, full time MBA programme in US are 2 years whe...
Page 1 of 4

Hello All,

I want to introduce IIM Udaipur` dual degree program in collaboration with Purdue university. Admission is based on rolling process which will start in month of june. 

official page :

http://iimu.ac.in/programs/post-graduate-programme-in-management-for-executivespgpx/course-overview....

. Official Facebook Page is :

https://www.facebook.com/IIMU.PGPX?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

. Placement report:

http://www.docdroid.net/106u2/iimu-pgpx-final-placement-report-14-15-may12-1-1.pdf.html

Official pagalguy page:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iim-udaipur-purdue-global-scm-program-class-of-2017-aspirants-33...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I am a working professional with industry experience of 4 years. I have done my bachelors in engineering electronics and telecommunication. Post that I have done a certificate course in digital designing. I now want to do an MBA and am considering colleges like NUS, ISB, S PJain (both Mumbai and the global one), Hult etc. So a few MBA colleges are offering a one year MBA and a few are offering a 2 year MBA. Which would be a better option?

12 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 12
engineeranu
@engineeranu  ·  0 karma

Lot depends on what one means by job, Lots of folks have made it big without an MBA, but top PE firms or MBB consulting firms will not entertain G lakes or 1 yr IIM with exception of IIM, A or ISB, Hyd. And that too not everyones makes to them. That said, if one is looking for growth in existing profile,  1 yr programs may be helpful in long run.  

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
PGpuy
@PGpuy  ·  0 karma

@engineeranu Bang... nailed it.. Obviously u olways look upwards !!!

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi, dear I wish to do full time global MBA. Please tell me that which is the most excellent university for that – See more at: http://www.thunderbird.edu/

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
There is high competition in MBA too. Many candidates paas-out every year by getting full time global MBA degree and want to do jobs in MNC's.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@WouldBeCrazy Thanks so much for this post , I am so confused from past two months to decide whether to go for 1 year or 2 year programme.

We all agree on some points like 1 year program is for the people with 5+ WE and who cant take long break from their jobs and 2 year program is for the ones who are fresh in the market and are thought of as flexible and their career can be mould as the company likes

My profile is : 4+ exp in IT (I am not highly satisfied with my current job)
Avg Acads , good in extra CC activities that is it .

My first preference in NUS(2 year program) and Nanyang(12 month) Singapore and second is Schulich(20 months) , Rotman(20 months) , Ivey (12 months), Queens(12months) and University of Alberta all in Canada

Last back up option is SP JAIN Global MBA (12 months)

I will be honest I want career change as I am not satisfied with IT job in India so looking for the change and I am looking to switch to Finance or Investment Banking because of my interest in SAP FI .

As my family is not so financially equipped for my MBA I have to take the loan so I am specifically looking for College with better ROI .

Please help me decide if my approach is any where wrong .

Thanks,
Abhinav

1 comment
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
I am currently at Warwick MBA. 40% out of 70 class mates are Indians. No diversity at Warwick. 3 British, 1 American, 1 Canadian, 3 Europeans , Few from Middle East, Russia and Africa the rest are from Asia. I think Said, LBS and Judge have done better in terms of diversity.
1 comment
PGpuy
@PGpuy  ·  0 karma

Hi jeswhy, can you provide me the few inputs please.  Please provide a snapshot of placement scenario like  % places, Avg schol, Avg Package and main recruiter. Do indian marketing guy find it difficult to obtain a job?? And finance.. Are consulting companies hiring??

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@WouldBeCrazy thanks.. P.S. what's your nationality?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@RaghvendraS

Personally, to me all those percentage/scores are useless and does not really portray a person fairly. Academic life and professional life can be significantly different. One does not guarantee success in another one!! But then again, I am not a selector in any business school and my thoughts are my personal only.

Most of the business schools love to claim that they conduct a 'HOLISTIC' review, 360 degree assessment and blah blah!! Unfortunately most of the schools does not have the band-width to do that kind of assessment and most follows the herd mentality ... they select primarily based on GMAT score and GPA. They have unwritten rules and QUOTA to follow for nationalities, industry sectors, gender....

Having said that, few schools try to really pick up FEW outstanding people (as showcase) irrespective of their scores or GPA. To be fair to the schools, it is a risk to the school. There is a 50-50 chance of them being right with their selection. If they have band width, caliber, experience, they should be able to select the right candidate more frequently but I do not have an extremely high regards for the ad-com. In many a schools the clerks does the screening!!

So bottomline is, it is a gamble. Your same application will be a stellar is one school and will directly go to the dust bin in another. You can play the gamble if you have money as admission fees are not cheap. If you have money, there is no harm in trying your luck.

Many people engage professional writers to package themselves and sell to schools as commodity. It is up to you whether you like that approach or not.
1 comment
PGpuy
@PGpuy  ·  0 karma

money right ... ROI best charac shud be placements.. right.. what would you suggest(Colleges) for a avg non native

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@WouldBeCrazy Hey, as mentioned earlier, my academics aren't very good, so I don't think LBS or Said are options for me? I know this coz I actually started my search with INSEAD, Wharton, Harvard & Stanford. Please see below profile of mine :
WE - 4 years (non-managerial)
Extras - average
10th - 69%
12th - 58%
Graduation - 57%
Masters - 41% :(
GMAT - still to take, confident about scoring 600+ at least
I must mention though, I'm a quick learner, and confident about success in course
Please enlighten me with suggestions, as I see you have researched more than at least me ;)
Thank you so much for continued responses..
1 comment
PGpuy
@PGpuy  ·  0 karma

same boat ..but no masters.. list is ambitious ..you will take 2-3 years to accomplish that ...being blunt..

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Cranfield and Warwick are on my list.

LBS, Said and Judge still questionable as their application fees at GBP 175, 150 and 125 is not encouraging, specially when the schools are flooded with Indian and Chinese students.

Will check CASS later.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...