1-year MBA vs 2-year MBA

5 Posts  ·  22 Users
About this group
Hi, I am a software professional. Done BTech(Computer Science) and Master (Computer Science) . I have 3 years experience in software development. I am thinking to switch from technical profile to management role. First of all I want to s...
Page 1 of 1

Guys please help got a few doubts...1. Academics: SSC-80.13 % HSC-88 % BE(Mech)-67 %2. Job profile-With REL.Construction field-Building power plants close to 3 yrs of expMy queries arei) Should i enrol for 2 yr full time MBA else should wait for an yr or two more and enrol in executive mba ?? Do these executive MBA offer placements.Or should i also consider glakes/isb where no of workex years required are less.ii) Should I choose to give GMAT and with 3 yrs of exp and do an mBA from abroad.iii) With my exp as project enginner which stream i should aim for ?? Will doing mba in finance/operations will suit my profile.Plzz help.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

I was searching the forums but couldn't find any info on this...not sure if I missed out :(. Anybody there ? Please throw more light and help us decide.

Exactly what I was looking for. I'm driving down the same lane. :)
I've been talking to a couple of 'knowledgable' people and they say that a 3 year work-ex hasn't really equipped us with the preliminary know-how that is expected in a one year program. So, a one yr course might neither strengthen our profile by leaps and bounds nor would we be able to add value to the class.
Besides, they say, if a career stream shift is in the pipeline, I suppose a 2 year course is favourable.

I've heard these arguments, but could someone with more insight into these matters provide a more cogent viewpoint?

Then again, if we are pointed to an existing discussion on the same lines, that would do the trick too! :thumbsup:

FT MBA (2013-14), Melbourne Business School

Hi, I am a software professional. Done BTech(Computer Science) and Master (Computer Science) .

I have 3 years experience in software development. I am thinking to switch from technical profile to management role.

First of all I want to seek your opinion on which MBA is better and why? One year MBA or two year MBA?

I have been reading around that 1-year MBA is better for professionals who know what they are looking forward to. While two-year MBA one gets a chance to know about different options and specialize accordingly. PLus gets to do summer internship to have better idea about their interest.

All that said, I want to know from your opinion on it. Also, I am not sure which area I want to specialize in, but one of below sounds interesting to me...

1. Finance & Accounting
2. Systems & Information Technology Management
3. International Management

4. Strategic Planning and investment Management.

Can you provide me more info on:
+ kind of role one gets in industry after doing any of above?
+ what are job responsibilities?
+ career growth opportunities?

Any other valuable inputs will be extremely helpful.