TOEFL Requirements for Indians

Hi, this has to be the first time I am posting anything anywhere :smiley: OK so my question is this: I am applying to a few schools and wonder whether I need to send my TOEFL scores to them. I ask, since the website says " … if your nati…

Hi, this has to be the first time I am posting anything anywhere πŸ˜ƒ OK so my question is this: I am applying to a few schools and wonder whether I need to send my TOEFL scores to them.

I ask, since the website says " ... if your native language is not English you must take a test for English proficiency, unless your university degree is from an institution where the curriculum was also taught exclusively in English."

I graduated from Delhi Univ (a good college) and wonder if that grants me a waiver. This holds true for INSEAD, Kellogg, Chicago (the ones Ive seen).

Thanks for your answers :-)))

Cheers
T

Hi, this has to be the first time I am posting anything anywhere πŸ˜ƒ OK so my question is this: I am applying to a few schools and wonder whether I need to send my TOEFL scores to them.

I ask, since the website says " ... if your native language is not English you must take a test for English proficiency, unless your university degree is from an institution where the curriculum was also taught exclusively in English."

I graduated from Delhi Univ (a good college) and wonder if that grants me a waiver. This holds true for INSEAD, Kellogg, Chicago (the ones Ive seen).

Cheers
T

Hi
I too seem to have the same query..
anyone out there who can reply???

Would suggest you mail the universities individually and confirm. I'm not sure about the schools mentioned here, but lotsa schools specifically mention Indians are required to take the TOEFL.

Almost every U.S. college requires you to take the TOEFL if you're an Indian citizen, regardless of where or what you studied. This also holds true regardless of your GMAT Verbal score, which I believe is the stupidest decision of them all. Why would English be a "Foreign Language" to anyone getting over a 60th percentile in GMAT-Verbal. It's beyond me.

But alas, this is the price we pay for our brothers who "wish to make friendships with you".

check out the websites of the schools u applying to. many of them have a TOEFL waiver criteria already mentioned. some of them even consider a waiver if you request them. basically, u need to scan their website patiently..it will defintely be there...or else mail them..they do reply...

amitnsitian Says
check out the websites of the schools u applying to. many of them have a TOEFL waiver criteria already mentioned. some of them even consider a waiver if you request them. basically, u need to scan their website patiently..it will defintely be there...or else mail them..they do reply...

Thanks Amit..

Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago and Columbia waives the TOEFL requirement for applicnats who have "completed their undergraduate courses from institutions where the medium of instruction is English". In other terms, or to be more specific, Indians applying to these schools (and if their undergrad college qualifies) need not take the TOEFL test.

Kellogg doesnt waive the TOEFL requirement for Indians. We are required to take the test. I have no clue abt the other schools. The bottom line is that this requirement is school specific. So check the sites of the schools u r interested in and if u have any doubts, mail the AdComm. There is no universal answer to this.

Iday

Thanks a lot everyone! πŸ˜ƒ

Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago and Columbia waives the TOEFL requirement for applicnats who have "completed their undergraduate courses from institutions where the medium of instruction is English". In other terms, or to be more specific, Indians applying to these schools (and if their undergrad college qualifies) need not take the TOEFL test.

Kellogg doesnt waive the TOEFL requirement for Indians. We are required to take the test. I have no clue abt the other schools. The bottom line is that this requirement is school specific. So check the sites of the schools u r interested in and if u have any doubts, mail the AdComm. There is no universal answer to this.

Iday

i think you can safely add MIT, Ross and Darden to that list.

this position from Kellogg s***s man.
i think you can safely add MIT, Ross and Darden to that list.

this position from Kellogg s***s man.

Darden doesnt waive it off dude...
My colleague spoke with the AdComm and he was asked to take TOEFL :wow:
So - Darden is off the Waiving list

Cheers
T

As far as I know, Michigan, Duke and Cambridge are not insisting on TOEFL scores. Berkeley, IESE and UNC - Kenan Flagler are insisting on TOEFL scores.

dude...it all boils down to personal preferences of the schools you will aply to. Some DO waive the TOEFL requirement for students who have done their undergrad studies from an univ. where the official language of instruction is english and some also say that you need not take TOEFL if you have been working in an english speakin environment i.e. a place where the official language of trade is english..like india..right now i can think of two schools who waive their toefl requirement based on the fulfillment of these criterions..
e.g. Duke and Emory...there are, i am sure, other schools who have an waiver policy...it will be better if you check their respective web sites thoroughly...or you can always email their admissions office...they will definitely reply...they are very particular about helping out prospective students..

But alas, this is the price we pay for our brothers who "wish to make friendships with you".

ROTFL

guys, toefl is really easy for someone with decent English. (guess 1 week/1 weekend of study does it) So why ask for waiver? give the test, get the guaranteed great score and apply.

senapati Says
guys, toefl is really easy for someone with decent English. (guess 1 week/1 weekend of study does it) So why ask for waiver? give the test, get the guaranteed great score and apply.

it isn't the money or ease for me but the fact that i will have to plan all that blood pain. i travel too much and i am in the middle of my apps.

besides it really irritates to realise that inspite of your more than decent english you have to bear out another exam.

i agree its not difficult. pretty lame attempt to check anybody's proficiency i wud say.
it isn't the money or ease for me but the fact that i will have to plan all that blood pain. i travel too much and i am in the middle of my apps.

besides it really irritates to realise that inspite of your more than decent english you have to bear out another exam.

i agree its not difficult. pretty lame attempt to check anybody's proficiency i wud say.

dude...
get it done. one way or other, some school is gonna ask u do that :(
i totally agree with ur "pretty lame" statement though...

iday,

just wanted to know if i give toefl... now will the collge get the scores before the deadlines.. if i am sending my apllications next week sometime .. waht do i fill in the toefl score section.. i am like confused about this.. would appreciate if you could help me on this ....

how much time do they take for sending the scores.... i am sorry for asking this i have not done much research on toefl... just started ....some colleges need it so might as well get it done with it ....

when are you giving the test .....

dude...
get it done. one way or other, some school is gonna ask u do that :(
i totally agree with ur "pretty lame" statement though...

@purple yogi
AFAIK, schools are not very particular about your TOEFL score reaching before the deadline, although some schools are but not many. it takes around 3 to 4 weeks for the schools to receive your score

Thanks, so i give toefl next week .. do i get the score immediately.. i can then write the score on the application....my verbal is low in GMAt so i thought to compensate for that i should go ahead and give my toefl ... do you think it makes sense and .... colleges like kellogg want toefl scores .....

trying to register oin the web site but it is not accepting my credit card.... man i hate these exams

@purple yogi
AFAIK, schools are not very particular about your TOEFL score reaching before the deadline, although some schools are but not many. it takes around 3 to 4 weeks for the schools to receive your score