Life@DoMS,IIT Madras

Hi Puys, I m opening this thread as it can benefit MBA aspirants who want to know what does DoMS has to offer besides good placements, excellent facilites and great profs. To start with ill post of few of the last years happening: 1…

1 Like

Hi Puys,

I m opening this thread as it can benefit MBA aspirants who want to know what does DoMS has to offer besides good placements, excellent facilites and great profs.

To start with ill post of few of the last years happening:

1. We have a forum called CEO connect where the CEOs of the companies come and address about there companies strategy, the market, latest trends and how does MBA graduates fit into the company.

2. Corporate Wisdom is the platform where the top corporates except the CEO come and address the students about the above said topic.

3. Through MIST we try to get the top people from the social organisations to share there experince of how to run a non profit organisation efeectively and contribute to the society in the apt way.

I am posting last sems happening as i am consolidating lot of the latest developements and will be posting them shortly.

Rajat Saxena
DoMS,IIT Madras
Batch of 2006-08

THE BEGINNING OF NEW LIFE @ DoMS, IITM
The taxi entered the gates of the Indian Institute of Technology Madras. The driver headed towards the Gajendra circle, and I was seated in the backseat, staring out of the window. Just looking around, a strange current flowing through my bodyYes I had arrived!! As a youngster, getting here had always been my dream and today here I was..There are some moments in life, very few of them which cant be expressed in words. It can only be felt. The feeling of being at IIT was certainly one of them.

Getting to my hostel, setting up my room, meeting new people and before I new it, my first day at IIT was over. Over the next three days we had our formal orientation programme. Brief introductions by our faculty members coupled with a couple of sessions conducted by the people of the industry made it quite interesting. The highlight was the address by the Director of IIT who happens to be one of the most erudite persons I have ever heard speak. He was simply over whelming in his clarity of thought and speech. Citing numerous examples, quotes and excerpts from books, his speech was greatly inspiring, to say the least. He managed to drive home the importance of hard work and excellence and also urged us to spend a lot of our time in the library. Following his speech we had a welcome note by the HoD, DoMS and then got down to the most interesting part of all- getting to know our classmates. There was great sense of excitement as each one of us went on to the dais and introduced ourselves to the whole class, and as we did so, a mini-India had already started to evolve in front of our eyes. We started chatting with one another, had tea in the department with the Profs. The warmth which had been generated was enough to keep us chugging for the rest of the day.

The itinerary read: 04:30 PM- Movie The Corporation. Nobody among us had even the slightest doubt that the name of the movie was misprinted. It ought to be Corporate macha!! the word spread and excitement was brewing among the guys- I mean what could be more exciting than watching the sultry Bipasha Basu right on the first day of the curriculum. But alas! That was not to be. There was no mistake in the print. To brand The Corporation as a movie would be at best a euphemism for a dreary documentary running for an entire 3 hours. Meant to open our eyes towards the activities and responsibilities of corporations, the documentary was no doubt an informative one.
After that got over we were about to jump from our seats and get back to hostels in anticipation of a good nights sleep when the breaking news came in a strict deadline by the seniors to present a power point presentation by 10:00 PM which was a pre-requirement for the seniors-juniors interaction. To be frank our hurriedly prepared presentations were pathetic- didnt deserve a consideration, but then who was there to consider them our seniors were simply preparing us for the difficult days ahead. The interaction was a cool one, had lots of fun asking weird questions, receiving equally weird answers, eyes red from sleeplessness, dozing off towards the end it seemed to me as if the session would never end. It ended with another announcement We are not happy with the way it was done. Tomorrow make one more presentation and also sell a product!!! .So the next night was even better. Things went on till about 4 am. There I was walking back to my hostel room and cursing as to why we should be subjected to such treatment so soon..
When I went to class the next morning I realized that I knew the names of most of the people in my class. Thats when it struck me and I said to myself Geez..The events of the last two nights organized by the seniors was indeed a very good ice breaking session . The entire exercise was to help us know our classmates and our seniors better.
We had a brilliant and interactive talk session by Mr. V. Balaraman, President, Madras Chamber of Commerce who gave us real insights as to what the industry expects from an MBA graduate. His experiences during his long stint at HLL, which he shared with us generously, helped a lot of us to get over with some misconceptions and instilled many new ideas about the workings of the corporate sector. And this was just the beginning of a series of more inspiring and informative lectures by industry leaders, not to forget a good session on leadership by Daniel Jebasingh, Director HR, Ajuba Systems. And yes..no orientation at IIT can end without the mention of the concept so popularized by Chetan Bhagats Five Point Someone, the CGPA. We had a faculty member explaining the intricacies of the CGPA and asking us to put in our best effort.
Freshers party is something one associates with engineering college. I had no clue or rather not expected it at a B School in such a pompous fashion. Maybe I wasnt aware. Still if you ask most of the students, the general opinion would be that we would have a party. But what we got was just amazing. Two of them, back to back on a Saturday and Sunday night, both in complete contrast to one another, thus by no means making it repetitive. The first was a very formal one with the faulty members also joining in. After the declaration of Mr & Ms. Freshers and a small nick-name game, our group was supposed to come up with a dance, song & play but we got lost somewhere in between and managed a medley only. However the medley was so well received that we had almost the entire student community on the dance floor. Later the movie Italian job was screened and we finally got back to the hostel at around two in the morning.
The second party was a much more energetic one if I may use that word. Dance, dance and more dance was the order of the night. By the time it ended there was great deal of camaraderie among students of both batches. The kind of effort put in by the organizers during the entire week was just amazing. They have set a benchmark for us and its up to us to raise the bar higher.
I was also privileged enough to witness the Convocation ceremony held at the SAC Centre. Listening to the Director and also Mr Ratan Tata was really inspiring. This was followed by an Annual Reunion for DOMS students, a great idea conceived by our HOD. It allowed us to interact with a lot of our seniors who are in the corporate world and get a real feel of the things.
In just 2 weeks we have already had two business quizzes organized by students of DOMS. We also had a crossword contest organized for all the students of IIT. Im sure its a sign of great things to come. The other day I was sitting in my room, doing some self introspection about how it felt to be back at school after having worked for quite sometime. And the answer I got was what my heart truly felt. It feels great to be at IIT.
I would like to end by saying something that I strongly feel about. Perception is something on which the world operates. There is a strong feeling that IIT is a technology oriented institution. Its very difficult to change peoples minds. I dont think we need to also. We need to use this aura of excellence and quality as one of our strengths, build on it and make DoMS IIT Madras one of the best management schools in the country. This would take a lot of effort from all of us. Im sure we will be up to it.
Being at IIT is a dream come true and the pressure works on each one here. However harder we study. The harder WE PARTY!!

The attached file elobrate about the Corporate Wisdom.

Happy Reading.

PS: The two zip files are the snap of batch of 2006-08

Prominent Speakers at CEO Connect, in the past were:
Mr. Satish Kumar (CEO, Henkel Spic)
Mr. Lakshmi Narayanan (CEO & President, Cognizant Technologies Solutions)
Mr. Phaneesh Murthy (CEO & MD, iGate Global Solutions)
Mr. V. Pradeep Kumar (CEO, Sara Lee Household & Body Care India Pvt. Ltd.)
Mr. B. Santhanam (MD, Saint Gobain Glass India)
Mr. C. K. Ranganathan (CMD, CavinKare Pvt. Ltd.)
Mr. Abhay Gupte (Managing Director, EDS)
Dr. Surinder Kapur (CMD, Sona Koyo Group)
Mr. B. Muthuraman (CEO, TATA Steel)
Mr. V Rajagopal (CMD, Celebrity Fashions)
Mr. George Zacharias, (CMD, Yahoo ! India)
Mr. Devendra Saharia ( President, Ajuba International)
Mr. K Pandiyarajan (CEO & MD, MaFoi Consultants)

Rendezvous with an IT Consultant who propagated that an individual rather cut hair than develop software for $10 per hour

Blueshift was established in 1993 by entrepreneurs Sankaran P. Raghunathan and Valmiki P. Raghunathan. Blueshift is a high quality provider of technology solutions in the Human Resources Management and Education domains. Their vision is to enable Touching people through technology. And at present its clients are some of the best in the industry like UNICEF, Eastman Kodak, BellSouth, CAP Gemini, Infosys, Wipro, Computer Sciences Corporation, ICICI Prudential Life Insurance, XLRI, Symbiosis Group, Indian Institute of Science the list is endless.
CEO Connect invited Dr. Raghunathan, the founder of Blueshift for a session on IT Consultancy on March 2007. Dr. Raghunathan earned his doctoral degree from Temple University, Philadelphia. After his undergraduate degree in Commerce and a degree in Law from the University of Madras, he also graduated with a MBA degree from XLRI, India. He has had various stints in the industry; having worked for four years in Banking; he shifted to the Information Systems industry.
He briefed us about his humble start in the industry and his methodology of structuring his organization. The importance of segmenting the market, understanding customer requirements and maintaining good relations with the clients was highlighted in his talk. He gave the students an insight on the various domains of IT Consultancy that an MBA could work in namely Product Architecture, Technical Architecture, Design, Development Strategy, Project Management, Quality Issues, Security issues and Usability and he elaborated on the three vital pieces of IT consultancy namely technology, domain and product market. Though Consultancy is in vogue now and most MBA graduates want a consultancy job right after graduation, he suggested that experience in a particular domain before entering into consultancy would be a good idea as specialization was of utmost importance in consultancy.
We were not just listening to an IT Consultant speak, we were also listening to an entrepreneur who lived life on his own terms and believed in enjoying his work. He talked about his new passion of selling organic vegetables and the learning experience from his pet project. His other passions included selling white shirts on the net, selling dogs and a lot more. He made the students realize that there is a huge opportunity in the job market and IT was not the only means to earn a livelihood. He asked us to explore the other avenues and take up a job that we were passionate about. On a lighter vein, he kept the audience on their toes by distributing free t-shirts for right answers and flyersand the students loved his engaging style of conversation.
We sincerely thank Mr. Sankaran P Raghunathan for not merely giving us a talk but making us think about life, work and the beauty of both. Here was a CEO who managed to make a difference to the student community of IIT Madras.
A session by a CEO who could inspire us to dream...

CEO Connect invited Mr. Pandia Rajan, the Founder of Ma Foi Management Consultants Ltd. Ma Foi is the No.1 Consultancy firm in India with its branches in 9 countries through 94 offices India, UAE, UK, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Oman, Bahrain, and USA. Ma Foi Management Consultants Ltd was established by Mr. Pandia Rajan K in 1992 with a focus on recruitment and human resources services. Over the years, Ma Foi Management Consultants Ltd. (Ma Foi) has evolved into an integrated human resources services company with a commitment to provide people and people-related services, and enhance net worth of the human capital of the organizations. Ma Foi (pronounced as Ma Fwa) means my word in French. It aptly reflects the ethos of an organization anchored on the values of integrity, transparency, growth, and diversity.
Mr. Pandia Rajan spoke about his personal experience, his trials and tribulations in establishing his consultancy and the ways in which he overcame the difficulties and made Ma Foi a force to be reckoned with in the HR Industry. He gave us insights on a host of topics ranging from the 5 Ps of marketing (product, promotion, price, place and pace), segmentation of the market, advertising strategy (the tagline of their first commercial was Let us Engineer your Career Overseas) to expansion plans, six sigma approach and HR policies. Mr. Pandia Rajan spoke about the expansion plans of his company. Ma Foi had expanded in scale, scope and depth through three phases, the first phase involved small equity and bonus issues, the second phase involved the dot com revolution and venture capital and the third phase was a strategic based growth phase. He also gave us a glimpse of the franchisee model being used in Ma Foi and the dilemma of adopting a client focused or candidate focused model.
The session by Mr. Pandia Rajan was very inspirational and thought provoking and it was a delight listening to an entrepreneur who had made it big through sheer hard work and dedication. We are very grateful to Mr. Pandia Rajan for spending his valuable time with the student community of IIT Madrasand we hope that after his talk the students would aspire to become entrepreneurs.
Day One - Summary

Mr. M.Damodaran, Chairman SEBI greeted the participants of Samanvay 2007 with an inspirational speech. Prior to launch of the opening event Saaransh, in an interactive session with the participants, he spoke about the importance of recognizing the strengths, identifying, building and reinforcing the same as the key to build a successful organization. He spoke about his responsibilities at SEBI which he categorically stated as creating an environment for people to perform to their best and also to continuously challenge them. In a lighter vein, he spoke about his college days and narrated quite a few interesting anecdotes that had the audience spellbound. In response to a query on role models in India when there is so much cynicism, the SEBI Chief said that we should believe in Indias strengths rather than focusing on its weaknesses. He stressed on the fact that there are role models all around us and we just need to identify and recognize them.

Saaransh, the paper presentation contest sponsored by Infosys had the theme Steps to Improve Indias Ranking in the Global Competitive Index of World Economic Forum. Some interesting solutions like PPP, encouraging sector specific FDI and SMEs and SEZ modeling were suggested by the participants from leading B School.

An official inauguration ceremony was held at the IC&SR; auditorium. The Chief Guests of the evening were Mr. M Damodaran and Dr. K.C Chakrabarty, Chairman and Managing Director, Indian Bank. The event started with an inaugural address by Prof. L.S Ganesh, Head of the Department, DoMS, IIT Madras. He touched upon the fact that festivals like Samanvay are an ideal learning ground for students and Samanvay 2007 was officially declared open.

Prof Ananth, Director, IIT Madras delivered the presidential address. He urged the participants to take this opportunity to enjoy the scenic beauty of the campus. Mr. Damodaran then delivered a speech on Strengthening and consolidating Indias Financial Security the regulators challenge. He emphasized the fact that the financial sector is at best a supporting arm of the real sector.He touched upon the issues of energy security, food security, the banking sector and the role of technology. His talk was filled with optimism but at the same time he said that we need to work on the few areas like regional disparity in order to ensure that the growth story is inclusive.

Dr. K.C Chakrabarty spoke about technology and its utilization for increased benefits of the common man. He said that there is a huge challenge of integrating Information with Technology and expressed optimism that Management graduates would be able to successfully achieve this.

The day ended with the National Anthem. And Day 2 followed with its own share of exciting events and famous personalities.

Human Capital: The Supply - Demand Gap

What happens if you have seven eminent personalities who have achieved resounding success in various walks of life addressing the participants of Samanvay 2007. Sheer Magic!

A panel discussion on the topic Human Capital: The Supply Demand Gap was held as part of Samanvay 2007, the Management Festival of DoMS, IIT Madras.
The distinguished guests were:
Dhananjay Ramaswamy, OSS, Manufacturing Manager, Schlumberger India
Mr.N. Chandrasekaran , Exec. Vice-President , TCS
Mr. K Pandia Rajan,Founder and CEO Ma Foi ManagementConsultants Ltd
Mr.R.Subhramaniam, MD, Subhiksha Retail Chain
Sandhya Sekhar, Gardner Research
Mr A. Satish Kumar, MD, Henkel India
Mr.T T Srinivasaraghavan , MD , Sundaram Finance Group

The discussion was moderated by Dhananjay & Sandhya.

India has a huge demographic advantage and this enables us to become one of the leading suppliers of intellectual capital if the right steps was the over arching message of the discussion. There were competing views on the issue of the phenomenal rise in the salary. One view was that the increased salaries encouraged increased consumption which in turns helped the economy grow. At the same time there were concerns that this would reduce the cost advantage which India currently possessed. The issue of bridging the divide between academia and industry was also discussed and the role of Professors as Knowledge Transformers was accepted by all.

The issue of the unorganized sector, which employs most of our population, was addressed. The ways used by educational institutions to instill the value of humility and create global citizens was one of the interesting topics raised by the audience.

Finally there was an air of optimism among the panelists because a gap somewhere, is an opportunity somewhere else. The panelists agreed that the stake holders, the industry and the educational institutions need to be involved in coming up with a feasible model. This was indeed an excellent learning experience for one and all.

Earlier in the day we had many Management events which include the following.

Spin Doctors - a PR Strategy Contest sponsored by Henkel had the theme How to build a PR exercise for PRIL Dish wash Liquid Solution. The panel of judges appreciated the strategies presented by the participants and said will definitely look into this if it can be formulated.

Mentorz a HR Contest - A case study to analyze whether Temps can be a Permanent solution in uniting talent with opportunity .

Brand Wars Strategy Recommendations for LIC was sponsored by LIC. The panel of judges appreciated the strategies presented by the participants such as launching an animated character Sukhiram, an animated character as their Brand Ambassador, contingencies back-up, time frame for implementation of strategies, etc.
Cyclops- an Operations Research Event had participants from the leading
B-Schools of India. The game was an interesting one which consisted of planning, forecasting, simulation strategies, etc. Along with the prizes, they will be carrying with them some sweet memories of Samanvay and IIT Madras which they can cherish for ever
Day 3 of Samanvay started with a challenging and exhilarating event OBT- Out Bound Training at dawn. It was the realization of the physical and mental application of wit overarched by team spirit. It tested the participants skills in thrilling events like the Burma Bridge, Crawl through the Tunnel, and Cross-Country Race. You could showcase your brawn and brains in Electric Fence, try to Pitch a Tent in record time, pull others through in Frame March and the thrilling descent in Trust Fall.

It was followed by Estrategia A Master Plan sponsored by UniverCell. It had the theme Mobile Retail Expansion Strategy for UniverCell. The panel of judges appreciated the strategies presented by the participants like low cost strategies, how to counter attack grey markets, brand building, competitive parity, etc. Apart from these the panel also gave some insight of whether its the correct time for raising money, how do people value such a company, etc.

Trailblazers the Marketing B-Plan Contest wassponsored by Indian Terrain. Role of each team was to come up with a feasible B-Plan that would help Indian Terrain to foray into the Women Apparel segment and launch its brand successfully in the market. The presentation included Porters Diamond Analysis, advertising campaigns, endorser branding, etc. The judges ended by stating that real project, real life young brains presented it in a great way.

TCS Business Quiz sponsored by TCS had Mr. K. Ananth Krishnan, CTO, TCS was the host; which had various rounds like technology, people, brands, etc.
This event had participants from the leading B-Schools of India.

Survivor was an on the spot event where the participants were asked to present their solutions with the help of charts.

The three day annual event of Department of Management studies, IIT Madras came to an end with the valedictory function which was presided over by Mr. R. Natarajan, former Chairman AICTE and Former Director IIT Madras. The function started off with Dr. L. S. Ganesh, HOD giving a brief introduction of the guest, followed by a brief overview of the entire festival by Mr. Jehan, student co-coordinator.

Mr. R. Natrajan then gave a brief speech on the different facets of various B school rankings, programs, faculty and other regulatory issues and the problems faced by the government in the day to day operations. Mr. Natrajan has been a part of various committees that has resolved education issues in this country and is considered a stalwart in his work and in academic circles.

The event concluded with Mr. Himanshu Raj, student co-coordinator giving the Vote of Thanks. The eventful three day festival came to and with a resounding bang.
Date: 11 Feb 07
B-schools to get expert guidance

Special Correspondent
Alumni of IIT-M and IIM-A sign memorandum of understanding

FORGING PARTNERSHIPS: M.S. Ananth, Director, IIT Madras (left), with members of the IIM-Ahmedabad Alumni Aassociation and the Department of Management Sciences of IIT-Madras.

CHENNAI: Chennai-based alumni of two internationally renowned institutions will work together to improve the quality of technical and management education in the region.
The president of the Alumni Association of Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, Sathish Kumar, and the head of the Management Sciences department of IIT-Madras, L.S. Ganesh, signed a memorandum of understanding on Friday to formalise the partnership and use their combined pool of resources and experience for the benefit of B-schools in and around the city.
Mr. Satish Kumar said the MoU would help to leverage the pool of abundant experiences and resources in technology and management among the alumni.
"Chennai has about 600 IIM-A alumni and more than 100 of them are registered with the association... ." The MoU was signed in the presence of M.S. Ananth, Director, IIT-Madras, and Asit K. Barma, general secretary of IIT Madras Alumni Association.

e Hinduhttp://www.hindu.com/2007/02/11/stories/2007021105110100.htm

This was held in our dept from Mar 9th to 11th. It was free for the student of DoMS and it was of the best things i have attended in my life. U get to interact with the best.

The zip file is of the various events and articles that have happened in DoMS in last 6 months.

Happy reading.

B-school kids taste outbound way of life

[IMG]http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/images/spacer.gif[/IMG]
TIMES NEWS NETWORK[IMG]http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/images/spacer.gif[/IMG][ SATURDAY, JANUARY 20, 2007 12:10:07 PM]CHENNAI: The induction programme for freshers, pursuing management studies at IIT-Madras, is set to be different in the future. For, the Department of Management Studies at IIT-M is proposing to introduce an outbound programme as a method of learning for first year students.

This decision comes following the success of an outbound (OB) competition, held at the campus at the management fest 'Samanvay', hosted by the Department on January seven, 2007.

Tiger Hills, Lakshya, Machas and Gabbar were the four teams formed, with each team comprising eight members. The 32 students, who took part in the competition, were drawn from IIT-M, IIT-Powai, FMS (Delhi), Madras School of Social Work, IIM-Ahmedabad, XIM, Loyola College and Bharatidasan Institute of Management, Trichy.

Ex-army personnel worked with the students, who teamed up to execute oubound drills assigned to them. These included a cross-country race, pitching tents and traversing a 60-ft bridge at a 20-ft height.

As battle cries 'Jai Mata Di, 'Jo Bole so nihal' 'Machas let's talk' and 'Dhawa' rent the air of IIT-M, the enthusiastic bunch went out to explore the jungle wilderness to compete. They had to go through seven hurdles like 'mindsweep,' 'trust fall' and 'walking over the Burma Bridge,' to test their skillsets.

"To the best of our knowledge, this is the first time such an OB competition has been held among B-school students in the country. The campus blended itself to this event," Department of Management Studies head L S Ganesh told ET.

"OB competition is about 'We,' to test interpersonal skills and provide insights into team behavioural patterns. It is a good exercise for mind and body. The four-hour-long sessions were able to trigger an inclination to change," he added.

Recalls Samanvay core coordinator Himanshu Raj "it was a nightmare to do shortlisting as we got an overwhelming response from over 100 students. The final teams were fairly represented by the B-Schools."

"It was totally a first-of-its kind experience. Every team had an army coordinator in the rank of a lieutenant or major. There were also four to five soliders overseeing the arrangements. We are also thinking of having mindsweep as an ice-breaking event for freshers," said Tiger Hills team leader Mukund.

"A girl was part of each team, which had one-fourth external participation. The OB events, held at the stadium and adjoining area, were to enable students to explore a new experience. They also got to learn to cooperate while competing as a team and not as an individual," Prof Ganesh added.

Mr Raj said "management fests are known to have events with an academic touch, with the thrust being on functional areas like finance and marketing. The OB stints were surely a unique part of Samanvay, which was aimed at celebrating synergy, with team building as the objective. We had specifically selected members who did not even know one another."

Organising an OB activity of this scale needed natural resources, he said adding the closest to this event was held by IIM-Bangalore last November.

But there too, group discussions and activities like treasure hunt or cracking puzzles and panel discussions were the key activities. Climbing the building, given the campus ambience, was probably the only physical test held there. Even IIM-A's five-day annual management fest 'Confluence' has, so far, not seen any OB activity of this magnitude, Mr Raj noted.

It took four days to set up the OB infrastructure at IIT-M. "We had to test all the events for two to three days from the safety aspect. This is a manpower- oriented activity where arranging items to meet adequate safety standards are of paramount importance. We now plan to include it as part of our first-year induction exercise," IIT-M deputy registrar, Training, Placement and Public Relations, Lt Col Jayakumar said.

DONT forget to see the snaps in the ZIP file

[U][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][url=http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/B-school_kids_taste_outbound_way_of_life/articleshow/1337767.cms]http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/B-school_kids_taste_outbound_way_of_life/articleshow/1337767.cms 20 Jan 07
MIST Session By
Mr. Gaganpreet Singh Bedi
Director Rural Development & Panchayati Raj

The MIST {Management Insights for Social Change) chapter of the Department of Management Studies held a talk by Mr. Gagandeep Singh Bedi Director Rural Development & Panchayati Raj. He shared his views on Natural Disasters and Human
Response for Socio-economic Development. Mr. Bedi had strategized and implemented the entire relief program in Cuddalore as its District Collector.

On 26th December 2004, Tsunami waves, hit India for the first time wrecking havoc across the southern coastline. The Cuddalore shelf was the worst affected by the tsunami surge. Mr. Bedi coordinated the disaster relief and rehabilitation works to tsunami recovery and was awarded the best collector award by the Indian Red Cross Society in 2006 for his commendable work in the rescue and relief operations.

In 2006 he also achieved his vision of making Cuddalore, The Model district of the State with his 13 years of experience in DISASTER MANAGEMENT by various innovative and explorative initiatives.

The Cuddalore Model has been appreciated internationally. Mr. Clinton on visiting Tsunami affected regions in 2006 had remarked that Florida can learn from Cuddalore.

The talk focused on the entire gamut of relief operations carried out at Cuddalore. He expertly brought out the similarities between administrators and managers. Mr. Bedi focused on the various skills necessary for a manager by expertly quoting examples from his own field of action. He built on the various statistical figures by showing numerous pictures & practical insights.

Mr. Bedi stressed on the fact that getting help was never the problem. The challenge lay in distributing the resources. He cited examples from the Orissa Cyclone or the Kashmir Earthquake where the goods do not reach the victims. To make the process more efficient at Cuddalore a software system was used for material management.

He laid emphasis on the importance of building a rapport with people & accepting the culture. This may be the reason he was able to convince the people to bury the dead in a predominantly Hindu region. This enabled the administration to focus on other issues on hand.

Mr. Bedi brought up the fact that when one is in authority, one can use the power to get help from numerous sources. For e.g. Mr. Bedi had asked for Rs 1 crore relief fund help but was able to obtain a help of Rs 2 crore from the government. He also stressed that as long as one is apolitical in ones views one need not worry about political pressure. He cited his own example saying that he had been the collector for 5 years which by itself is a record of sorts.

As Mr. Bedi is a tele-communications engineer, post tsunami various innovative measures like the Wireless Linked Public Address System have been implemented at Cuddalore. Through this system one can notify neighboring villagers regarding any cyclone warning.

He went on to describe the various stages of relief operations carried out at Cuddalore. The relief operations were divided in three stages

1. Immediate Relief
  2. Temporary Relief & Rehab. Measures
  3. Long term Relief.

The immediate relief operations focused on providing medical care, food & water to the survivors. The temporary measures included electricity supply (which was restored in 72 hours), temporary houses, temporary mobile network coverage (temporary towers were set up in a day) shallow hand pumps etc. The Long term relief measures covered building pucca houses, greening farmlands (The farmlands had been rendered useless by salt deposits), Buying of boats etc.

Various measures like introduction of counseling for women & children, building of children parks gave the whole project a human touch. Mr. Bedi readily admitted that certain schemes like the Help Line served a mere cosmetic purpose and were useful for attracting funds.

The talk was inspiring to the core. Mr. Bedi spoke with humility and ease. This person and his team had won international acclaim yet they remained down to earth and open to questions. The whole session lends credence to the fact that one person can make a lot of difference. One just needs to show dedication & perseverance.
PLACEMENTS 2007
The Department of Management Studies, IIT Madras recently concluded a spectacular placement season lasting just 3 days for the MBA batch of 2007. While 37 companies had confirmed their participation in the placement process, placements got over with the first 25 companies who came to campus. The recently concluded placement season was significant in a number of ways. Foreign offers were made for the first time on campus. Bloomberg made 4 offers for their New York and Princeton offices, while Indigo Futures, a proprietary trading firm based in Gibraltar, made another 4 offers in the area of options modeling and futures trading for its Gibraltar, Singapore and Dubai offices. The average foreign salary offered on campus this year was USD 66,000 with Bloomberg topping the charts with USD 90,000.

On the domestic front, Goldman Sachs, Caterpillar, Schlumberger, Accenture, and KPMG were the big names added to the recruiter list this year. Other first time recruiters included Kotak Mahindra Bank, SBI Caps, ICRA Consulting, and HP, to name a few. Citibank, Caterpillar and IBM Business Consulting made the highest number of offers.

Finance, Operations and Consulting were the most preferred choices on campus this year.

The banking sector was represented by Citibank, Kotak Mahindra and SBI Capital Markets. Citibank recruited for both its Corporate Banking and Global Consumer Group divisions. Kotak offered profiles in private banking. SBI Capital Markets made attractive offers in the fields of investment banking while IBM and Caterpillar offered profiles in corporate finance.

Avalon Consulting, KPMG, IBM, Accenture and McKinsey KC offered consulting profiles. ICRAs management consulting division, iMacs, recruited exclusively through PPOs. Caterpillar recruited heavily for their operations profiles including their famed Six Sigma programme. Exciting roles in Analytics were made by McKinsey KC, Grail Research and Hewlett Packard. Infosys and Wipro offered business analyst profiles across various verticals like retail, human capital management, pre-sales etc. Infosys BPO recruited for its Fixed Income Analytics Division.

Bajaj Auto, Henkel and Sterlite Optronics recruited for marketing profiles and HR profiles were offered by IBM, Bajaj, Caterpillar and Sterlite.

The exciting lateral offers made on campus were another significant barometer of the success of this years placements. The marquis investment bank Goldman Sachs offered 3 profiles in Investment Banking and Global Investment Research including a lateral offer. Schlumberger offered operations profile for lateral hires. Grail Research (part of the Monitor Group), Accenture, IBM Consulting and Kotak Mahindra also made lateral offers. The average domestic salary offered was Rs. 7.8 lpa, a considerable jump compared to Rs. 6.2 lpa last year. The median salary this year was Rs. 7 lpa.

With a total of 90 offers being made, each student had 1.45 offers on hand. The placement team put in a tremendous amount of effort to ensure smooth running of the process, a fact which was well appreciated by all the participating companies.
The Faculty Coordinator Placements, DoMS IIT Madras, Dr. Sanghamitra Bhattacharya says, The manner in which the placement process is handled at our department by the team of student coordinators is a shining example of what teamwork, dedication, intelligent and sensitive planning, coupled with sheer hard work - can achieve. In fact, our students are our best ambassadors in the industry, which is reinforced every year by the high profile companies which have been regularly participating in our placement process.
The visiting companies were highly impressed with the process, the hospitality and the quality of students. Their fulsome praises and comments, some of which are highlighted below, reaffirm the impressions carried back by the companies at the conclusion of the process:
I felt like a child in a candy shop - Dr.Tarsem S.Jutla, Managing Director, Caterpillar India Ltd.
Very bright and enthusiastic students an excellent experience and would love to recruit again Ms. Sandra Hutchins, Bloomberg LP.
Quality of students is good. The process was well coordinated Apreeta Singh, Goldman Sachs.
Placements Statistics
Number of students registered and placed62
Number of recruiting companies25
Number of offers made (domestic)82
Number of offers made (foreign)8
Number of lateral offers12
Number of offers per student1.45Highest domestic CTC10.3 lpaAverage domestic CTC7.8 lpaMedian domestic CTC7 lpaHighest foreign CTC$90,000Average foreign CTC$66,000
Sector wise breakup

Specialization wise breakup

Summer Placements DoMS, IIT Madras
The trend of foreign summer internships continued with Bloomberg making international summer internship offers ( in Princeton, New Jersey) to three of the first year students. The summer placement process saw a bevy of top notch companies coming down to recruit the first year students for summer internships.
Other major recruiters that participated in the summer internship process were Citibank, Avalon Consulting, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Wipro, TCS, CTS, ICRA Consulting, US technology, Saint Gobain, Latent View, GE Research, MCKinsey KC and Technopak.
DoMS, IIT Madras conducts a session on Six Sigma application to IT services
14th March, 2007 CHENNAI,
It has been a hectic week for DoMS, IIT Madras and still some more action is pending for the weekend when the aspirants for DoMS, IIT Madras would be having their GT and interviews (Chennai Round) as a part of the selection process.
It was a matter of great pleasure and pride to have Mr. R Jagdish, Vice President- Mission: Quality, WIPRO TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED with us today to deliver a talk on Six Sigma concept and its applications to the field of IT services. An alumnus of NIT Nagpur and ISI Calcutta, Mr. R Jagdish has worked with over five reputed companies before joining Wipro Technologies four years back. Trained as a Six Sigma professional at Motorola, he is armed with the foremost knowledge on quality standards in the industry.
Starting with the basic concepts of quality, its measurement techniques and usage of statistical tools in quality control, he comfortably led us through the rigours of Six Sigma concepts. His art at the use of real life examples and anecdotes to illustrate the concepts of Six Sigma helped us drive away the awe surrounding the concepts. He dwelt at length on the various benefits of Six Sigma, the challenges in applying it and the conditions under which it should be applied.
Certain key concepts that underlie Six Sigma, like data collection, attributing causes and identifying sources of variation, normal distribution, specification limits and maximum permissible deviations were made clear by him in a lucid manner. The students also got a feel of the various Project Methodologies like DMAIC, DSSP, DSSS, and DMADIV which are being used by the industry to implement Six Sigma in their projects.
The talk was highly useful to the students as they could relate a lot of it to the concepts of Total Quality Management (TQM) which finds a place in the course curriculum for the running quarter.
Highlights of the MBA@IITM
MBA@IITM has been designed keeping in view today's dynamic business environment, and the consequent need to develop unique, young management talent to work proactively in this environment - talent that will respond as well as steer the dynamics.
The programme structure and curriculum have been designed after a detailed study of some of the best B-schools worldwide. A few pioneering innovations have also been made in the programme. The highlights are presented below:
Unique Pedagogy - The MBA@IITM programme is structured uniquely with courses spread over eight quarters with only four/five courses per quarter. This gives students an optimal learning experience to enable them develop a well-rounded professional personality by engaging in a variety of constructive activities including taking courses on audit, going on field visits, participating in various management workshops and competitions, organizing special professional events, and working on live business projects.
Industrial and Business Domains - One of the glaring gaps in management education today is the lack of industry-specific knowledge and a thorough process-level understanding of organizations in various domains (verticals). This programme includes three core courses on various Industrial and Business Domains spread over the last three quarters.
Course Audits - Students of MBA@IITM can opt for auditing courses from any of the elective courses offered by the Department of Management Studies or from the more than 300 courses offered by the other 14 departments in the Institute.
The Early Recruiter Advantage - Early recruiters can guide students to opt for selected courses - electives, Industrial and Business Domains, and audit courses - during the last three quarters. These selected launch pad courses prepare students to enter their careers well tuned to their employers' requirements. Additionally, recruiters can also offer students projects in the last quarter to enable very smooth induction. Many reputed and far-sighted organizations have expressed their enthusiastic approval of this option, and some have already taken this advantage, and intend to leverage it again.
State-of-the-art coursework - Every year, industry trends are studied and anticipated to update the courses. The latest to be added was a domain specialization on BPO.
Professional Development Workshops - These workshops are offered to develop our students' personalities, particularly their soft skills. They include business communication and presentation skills, negotiation skills, teamwork and conflict resolution skills, time management, business etiquette, and foreign languages.
Small Batch Size - The batch sizes are in the range of 50 to 60 students, handpicked from over twenty five thousand applicants who sit for the grueling national-level Joint Management Entrance Test (JMET) conducted by the IITs and IISc. The small batch size enables our faculty to give personalized attention to our students, and build a warm culture of group-work in the Department.
Eclectic Student Mix - Our students are from across the length and breadth of our country. They learn from and enjoy the advantage of working with people from different socio-cultural backgrounds. The mix of students with prior work experience and those who are fresh out of college is balanced well. Likewise, the male-female ratio is also well balanced.

The Master of Business Administration (MBA) at IIT Madras is a two-year full-time rogramme aimed at training graduates to become capable managers. Students are provided a well rounded learning experience in terms of management theory, modelling situations and actual practice. The programme will involve classroom teaching, case discussions, hands-on management internship in industry and project work.
The programme normally comprises eight quarters of course work with four quarters per year. Each quarter usually will be of eight weeks duration.
Quarter 1 : July - September (8 weeks)
Quarter 2 : September - November (8 weeks)
Quarter 3 : January - March (8 weeks)
Quarter 4 : March - May (8 weeks)

Students entering the programme bring with them their own strengths and abilities. However, it is essential that they develop a common vocabulary of skills and terminology in key business areas as quickly as possible. The first two quarters focus on providing the conceptual foundations of management. The student is equipped with quantitative tools and techniques necessary for analysing business problems. At the same time, the student is also encouraged to develop personal skills such as business communication, general business knowledge and interpersonal skills.
The core courses in the functional areas of management - production, marketing, finance and human resources - are emphasized during the third and fourth quarter. These courses will also have a strong orientation towards the use of analytical tools and techniques. There will also be courses in systems management as well as lab-based courses that introduce various enterprise software and techniques.
The last four quarters integrate the knowledge and skills imparted with emphasis on the chosen electives. The electives are broadly of two kinds - courses on various business stream specialisations and courses that offer an indepth look at certain domain areas.
The inputs given through courses are supplemented with industrial training through a summer project for 8 - 10 weeks after the completion of the fourth quarter and also through a project work during the eighth quarter.

wat all posts by rmbt.. other guys at DOMS do not live a life kya?? 😃

hayabusa Says
wat all posts by rmbt.. other guys at DOMS do not live a life kya?? :)

Can see how clear is your thinking process !!Do u mind giving your intro!!

Well we have a PR team, which comprimises of Pritam, Gaurav, hetali, lavanya, Vinaya, shubradipManisha, Varsha, Keerthy , Sri ram, Prashant, Priya, Amit, Rahul.

Since there are lot of activities which keep happening in the dept, they have been alloted various tasks ike writing articles, taking photos, contacting the media and so on....I am the one who takes care of PG as i am familiar with the forum from a long time.

Check out the other thread on DoMS. ANd you will get a good idea about it.Though they may not post on PG, doesnt mean that they are dormant.

Hence, dont under estimate the capabilities of my class mates. U have to be here to see and feel what they can do.