[#1] SC Challenge : Attrition -- challenge closed -- no winner

Ok, i hope we get this going. I would prefer to post one question per thread. its easier to understand that way. The questions are not necessarily difficult (some might be). The time limit is the challenge. avoid guessing , this challenge is meant…

Ok, i hope we get this going. I would prefer to post one question per thread. its easier to understand that way. The questions are not necessarily difficult (some might be). The time limit is the challenge. avoid guessing , this challenge is meant to help you learn by first solving it , then submitting your solution and finally at the end of the challenge, you can discuss the best solution amongst yourselves. if you already seen this SC elsewhere and know the solution, kindly avoid posting till others have. thanks.

1. Time yourself
2. Solve as fast as you can
3. Explain your solution here, and your time please

The labor agreement permits staff reductions through attrition with increased pension benefits and a special early-retirement program for speeding it up.

(A) attrition with increased pension benefits and a special early-retirement program for speeding it up.
(B) attrition and provides increased pension benefits and a special early-retirement program to speed the attrition process
(C) attrition, which will be speeded up by providing increased pension benefits and a special early-retirement program
(D) attrition, which, by their providing increased pension benefits and a special early-retirement program, will speed the process
(E) attrition, which provides increased pension benefits and a special early-retirement program for speeding the attrition process.

My solution with full explanations after atleast 10 responses or 24 hrs , whichever is earlier.

Sincerely
Aejaz

The answer is E.

Time take to solve : 40 seconds

Hi,

Nice question :). I think the answer is C. Reasoning below.

As an aside, is staff reductions correct? Or would it be reduction?

Regards,
Mansur

(A) attrition with increased pension benefits and a special early-retirement program for speeding it up.

I don't know...this sounds wrong. We don't really know what it refers to over here.

(B) attrition and provides increased pension benefits and a special early-retirement program to speed the attrition process

unnecessarily verbose

(C) attrition, which will be speeded up by providing increased pension benefits and a special early-retirement program

seems correct. the clause seems to be correctly associated with what it describes, namely attrition.

(D) attrition, which, by their providing increased pension benefits and a special early-retirement program, will speed the process

I think process here refers to attrition, thus causing a circular reference

(E) attrition, which provides increased pension benefits and a special early-retirement program for speeding the attrition process.

circular reference again...

I would say ---- C ----

Time taken was about a minute (55 seconds?).

Reason being, it made the most sense out of the five options. When I say sense, it means when you speak that sentance with puntuation marks (gap of 1 sec for comma, 3 secs for full stop etc.) option 3 makes sense.

Hope this is correct...

E is it i think..

32 secs

I would say ---- C ----

Time taken was about a minute (55 seconds?).

Reason being, it made the most sense out of the five options. When I say sense, it means when you speak that sentance with puntuation marks (gap of 1 sec for comma, 3 secs for full stop etc.) option 3 makes sense.

Hope this is correct...

Ditto!!

Time taken: 45 Sec

Prateek

c.. seems to make max sense ... basicaly instinct .. i didnt like any other option..

time : 20-30 secs i think

ok, a little earlier than 24 hrs, but i am pleased with the participation. thanks. 😃

Unfortunately, no one got this right. some guys did hint , but did not give a conclusive yes. The answer is B.

mansur, you are right, reductions is probably not right. but it does not affect the answer. thanks for pointing it out though.

for this one, i will have to explain, since no one got this.

The labor agreement permits staff reductions through attrition with increased pension benefits and a special early-retirement program for speeding it up.

The idea is : the labor agreement does 2 things. permits staff reductions through attrition and provides pension benefits and a special early retirement program for speeding that process of staff reductions through attrition.

here "it" does not have a clear referent. does it refer to labor agreement or does it refer to attrition.

It sure looks like our initial idea. B should be it. We have a clear mention of "speed the attrition" process.

The labor agreement permits X and provides Y to speed X process.

C) attrition, which will be speeded up by providing increased pension benefits and a special early-retirement program

Close...but the passive voice makes it less preferable to B.

- "their" has no place here...incorrect usage. labor agreement needs "its" as a pronoun.
- of course, again ,we have passive voice here.
- Use of "which" here seems to indicate that the "attrition" provides the increaase pension benefits. The attrition does not provide increased pension benefits...the labor agreement does...
D is not correct.

again, the labor agreement provides increaseed pension benefits...The attrition does not. E is incorrect.

i would be glad to answer further questions. the time difference makes it difficult to be prompt in the replies, but i will try. thanks

note that we look for the best answer in verbal, not necessarily the perfect answer.

Sincerely
Aejaz

Thanks htowner...

Thats why me didnt take GMAT 😉