This quiz consists of questions from various past papers of
MBA entrance exams. Leave your answers/ responses in the comments section below
and we’ll soon let you know the correct answers!
Directions for questions 1 to 5: Fill in the blanks of
each of the following sentences with a suitable alternative from among the four
1. But ________ are now regularly written not just for
tools, but well-established practices, organisations and institutions, not all
of which seem to be _________ away.
a. reports, withering
b. stories, trading
c. books, dying
d. obituaries, fading
2. The Darwin who ___ is most remarkable for the way
in which he ___ the attributes of the world class thinker and head of the
a. comes, figures
b. arises, adds
c. emerges, combines
d. appeared, combines
3. Since her face was free of ___ there was no way to
___ if she appreciated what had happened.
a. make-up, realise
b. expression, ascertain
c. emotion, diagnose
d. scars, understand
4. In this context, the ________ of the British labour
movement is particularly ________.
a. affair, weird
b. activity, moving
c. experience, significant
d. atmosphere, gloomy
5. Indian intellectuals may boast, if they are so
inclined, of being ___ to the most elitist among the intellectual ___ of the
a. subordinate, traditions
b. heirs, cliques
c. ancestors, societies
d. heir, traditions
Direction for questions 6 to 10: For each of the words
below, a contextual usage is provided. Pick the word from the given alternatives
that is most inappropriate in the given context.
6. Specious: A specious argument is not simply a false
one but one that has the ring of truth.
a. Deceitful b. Fallacious c. Credible d. Deceptive
7. Obviate: The new mass transit system may obviate
the need for the use of personal cars.
a. Prevent b. Reduce c. Preclude d. Bolster
8. Disuse: Some words fall into disuse as technology
makes objects obsolete.
a. Prevalent b. Discarded c. Obliterated d. Unfashionable
9. Parsimonious: The evidence was constructed from
very parsimonious scraps of information.
a. Frugal b. Penurious c. Thrifty d. Altruistic
10. Facetious: When I suggested that war is a method
of controlling population, my father remarked that I was being facetious.
a. Jovian b. Flippant c. Jocular d. Joking
3(b) 4(c) 5(d)
6(c) 7(d) 8(a)