Login
Advertisements
Advertisements

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions GMAT & GRE Prep

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones.
This is an attempt to make the best of explanations, reasonings, q...
58 56
success3 where are questions , its just mentioned the links but th.... 01 Aug '13.
B I U Post
My Answer is in BOLD.
The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency panel that would look at how to protect consumers while also make United States companies more competitive
internationally.
A. that would look at how to protect consumers while also make
B. that will look at the protection of ...
Hi puys,
Rates OF or Rates FOR
I've read somewhere that Rates FOR is the correct idiom, however, if I say : "The interest rates of banks have been continuously rising.", would that be wrong?
Please explain the following question -
As the housing affordability gap widens, middle-income families are especially hard-hit, and these families can no longer qualify to buy homes, and rising rental rates force them to use far more than the standard 25 percent of their incomes for housing,...
OA is C, Experts comments are very much needed here ..
thanks !
My take in bold
i do not know the source of this question.. but by the method of elimination i arrived on 'C' ,which also does not seems right to me.. wats OA?
C) Although life expectancy for children improved after the Colonial period, during which the mortality rate was 50 percent
After the Colonial periods 50 percent mortality rate, life expectancy improved for children, but as late as the nineteenth century about one child in three died before reaching the age of six.
(A) After the Colonial periods 50 percent mortality rate, life expectancy improved for children, but<...
I am confused here about the usage of 'comma' and 'and'.
OA - D) family but a modified extended family is based on a number of facts: the existence of three-generational families
A - incorrect - ambiguous it
B, C, E - incorrect - violating parallelism
is what the explanation says .... how?
Incorrect: After the typhoon, the citizens of the county were left without food, power and huge bills for reconstructing their houses.
the above sentence incorrrectly applies without as a modifier to food, power and bills.
While the actual question *might* want you to imply that without is...
1 1
Hi,
Can someone please explain this parallelism question to me?
Incorrect: After the typhoon, the citizens of the county were left without food, power and huge bills for reconstructing their houses.
Correct: After the typhoon, the citizens of the county were left without food, without ...
My take
Option D
is based on a number of facts: the existence of three-generational families, the amount of vertical and horizontal communication between family subunits, and the extent to which family members offer assistance to one another.
the list after the colon, has nouns starting the sentence. B and E ...
The argument that the dominant form of family structure today is not the nuclear family, but rather it is a family which is modified and extended, is based on a number of facts: the existence of three-generational families, the amount of vertical and horizontal communication between family subuni...
------- Understood ---------
According to me, the answer is e.
Stars like the sun can continue to shine steadily for billions of years because its light and heat are produced by nuclear fusion, in which titanic releases of energy result in the loss of only tiny amounts of mass.
(A) its light and heat are produced by nuclear fusion, in which
(B) nuclear...
Hi Guys,
can someone throw some light on the Subjunctive Mood, it is being difficult to grasp this concept. I know this is off the track question for this thread but i didnt find the appropriate thread to ask the question related to sentence correction part.
thanks !
Nitin