Login
Advertisements
Advertisements

IIM Calcutta announces minimum cutoff scores CAT & Related BSchools

With the quota row not completely over, IIM Calcutta has quietly followed IIM Ahmedabad in 2007 in announcing their minimum acceptable cutoff scores in the CAT bulletin to maintain minimum standards. The cutoff applied even to reserved categories, says the bulletin.
The IIM Calcutta notifica...
21 21
CAT 2007 Says
No offence meant against anyone.. Consider the same performance this year as that in CAT 2006... IIMA had already struggled to find candidates in the SC/ST category who met the criteria of 17% in each section and 25% overall.. With IIMC declaring cutoffs slightly higher than IIMA for the reserved categories, it would be really difficult for the insti to find candidates in the aformentioned categories.....

The cutoffs for SC/ST is not the same dude....
It is written that it will vary from category to category....Even last year, except for the english part, the cutoff in the other two sections was over 17% :)
  • Like 1
  • Share 1
  • Quote & Reply
  • Follow
No offence meant against anyone.. Consider the same performance this year as that in CAT 2006... IIMA had already struggled to find candidates in the SC/ST category who met the criteria of 17% in each section and 25% overall.. With IIMC declaring cutoffs slightly higher than IIMA for the reserved...
well people dont trouble ur mind so much...
aacha kiya to call milega nehito nehi milega
i agree with u............ this cut off doesnt matter for any specific caste but it is for everyone and the cut off will not go below this for anyone............
A high cutoff like in IIMA means that fewer people will be considered for GDPI and they will then make fewer offers. But IIMC has to make a lot more offers and therefore has to have lower cutoffs.
CAT will continue to remain the primary rejection mode, (It is also one of the biggest money spinners for the IIMs). But there is also a debate (internally) on decreasing the dependence on CAT scores here for selection. Of course different IIMs have been doing that in their own ways as we see in ...
1 1
Any specific reasons why you think IIMs will be out of the CAT grip?
Seriously , theres no need to get speculative or anything .CAT is about going there with an open mind and doing on-the-spot decisions . Basically have a feel of the difficulty level and formulate what you have to do then and there .
See if you go to the exam with a prejudiced mindset about VA...
I was thinking the same!!!!
Regards
Tanveer
Interesting discussion. Don't read too much into the footsteps angle.
It's just the classic IIMC abhorrence of any suggestion (even remotely so) that we follow anyone else.
But yeah it is indeed a major step forward in understanding CAT results and making the whole process transparent in g...
2 2
I have a different perspective of the whole situation, and quite surely it is not about following the footsteps of A.
This declaration of the cut off is just to announce that whether you are General Category student, SC, ST or for that matter OBC , the cut off will not go below those mentione...
The footsteps part refers only to the fact that IIMC released their cutoffs before CAT like IIMA did, and anybody reading it gets that much. Are you saying that the 'following footsteps' phrase should mean that each and every figure should match up down to the second decimal place or else there i...
1 1
Siddhesh,
I really did not get the intent of your post. As for the facts, IIMA was the first institute to declare the criteria for cutoffs.
CAT 2006:
IIMA: 25% each section; 33% overall
IIMC: No cutoffs
CAT 2007:
IIMA: 25% each section; 33% overall
IIMC: 20% in DI,Quant, 10% ...
well the lower cut off set for va indicates it is goin to be on the same lines of 06 as far as toughness is concerned..must watch out....
I think the followed footsteps part was quite unnecessary and questionable as well.
The data is misinterpreted - IIMA has different cutoffs for the open category and the SC - ST category while IIMC has announced only one common cutoff criteria .... So there is no reason to compare IIMA and II...
Rahi baat cut offs ki.....than there is not much difference......!! Because it is already expected that there cut offs will be higher than this and also since the cut offs will be totally based on merit......as we cant think this cut offs as the ground mark for getting a call from IIM cal.... So...
One of the wisest thing done by Management Gurus of IIM calcutta.......
In my opinion all this thing is to give justice to General category students.......even if HRD ministry force to let IIM OBC 27% quota without any increment of seats(if happened)....
Ultimately even if OBC candidates m...
1 1
I understand. That's why I said "some of the uncertainty".
And from the looks of the last mock I took, "minimum acceptable" may be just what I should look at for the time being. Heh.
1.) It has nothing to do with quota
2.) last year cutoff for obc n general category students(in case of iima) was same except in english n that too very small difference
3.) Most interesting aspect is that english in cat 2007 will be very difficult n confusing reason: lesser cutoff in Engl...
They're not saying that anyone scoring those numbers will get a call. They've just announced the minimum acceptable cutoff. That is, nobody scoring below 20,20,10 would be admitted, even if (theoretically) they fall short of students making that cut. The actual cutoffs would absolutely be above t...
1 1