Login
Advertisements
Advertisements

All I wanted to Speak about CAT CAT & Related BSchools

Download the FREE 'The Best of All I Wanted to speak about CAT' ebook, a compendium of the best posts on this thread.

Use this thread to detail how your CAT journey went. For any query, use the threads available across the forum.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Aah.. Atlast, my marathon post has completed. Well, it is devided into several posts to fecilitate easy reading. Hope it helps all CAT aspirants out there.

CAT 2002 and aftermath.

During my engineering second year I have decided to take CAT. Basically I dont know why i wanted to go that way. but some reasons I could think of are,

1. a very decent pay 4-5 lpa
2. comfortable life for me and my family
3. the challenge the CAT poses
4. I am tired with my tryst with technical courses

So, I have started gaining information regarding management education in India. Soon, I figured out the need to crack CAT to have any chances of entering into a b-skool. After some more investigation found that, lots of reading and good maths/calculation skills are necessary for cracking CAT. I have decided to improve my verbal abilty, communication skills and business knowledge to considerable levels before i can attend any coaching classes.

Subscribed to BW 3 year offer in late second year. then started reading reader's digest, India today and other books. All the while also tried to do reasonably well in my acads.
Came december 2001 and I have decided to go for coaching. There is no choice available in vizag at that time. So, joined in TIME for cat 2002 coaching. Daily in the morning 6-8 used to attend those classes and used to feel proud for doing something extra. :) In the first 4 months nothing improved. just classes and some sectional tests. Never ever we were tested with actual papers. Then came the summer vacation. Convinced my parents and stayed back in vizag so that, i can attend classes as well as take some tests. But I have absolutely no plan or no idea of the amount of work to put in to crack CAT. Neither i am sure about what colleges i want to apply and what is it i am looking for in the whole ordeal. 2 months were a breeze At the end of 2nd month, I took my first ever real-mock cat and believe me, it was a shock for me. Whatever practise i have done so far seemed to be useless. and the results also turned out to be bad. At once i have realized the importance of doing mocks and practising cat-like questions.
Then the academic session started. not that i study for the exams, but we have to do 2 projects in final year, and the pressure is building up. Basically i like to do my work for myself. so, slowly i started takin my project seriously and by the time it was september, i had lost my position in mocks. ranks in AIMCATs camedown to 300+ and settled there. But I have always maintained them below 500. somehow i had a strong feeling that, i can crack cat if i maintain my ranks belwo 500. Apart from CAT, I have considered other options such as FMS, IIFT, XLRI, IRMA, NITIE and JMET. That is a cross section of colleges. But I was desperate to do mba right after graduation and applied to this many colleges.
Apart from the regular TIME Material, I have xerox'd some IMS papers and did them off and on.

Well, at last the d-day came.

as usual started of with verbal. But since my verbal is the weakest link of the chain, i spent considerable amount of time in that section and did almost 40 questions. By the time i am done with it, i was already 50 mins into the test.
quickly rushed to quant section. And if any one of you seen the CAT 2002 Quant paper, you know what i am talking here. that section was tough. But Quant is always my streangth. So, did it for full 40 mins and attempted some 27 questions there.
only 30 mins left. Started doing small DI sets. Again if you look at CAT 2002 DI paper, you know what are these small sets are. They have some 7-8 sets each with 3-5 questions. on any day, one can attempt 30+ there and get away with a score above 25 easily. But since i have managed to mis-manage my time, i could do only 19 in 30 mins. But, i thought that, i can score well there, because, in TIME AIMCATs 19-20 was always a very good attempt rate. Very less did i know that TIME AIMCATs DI/VA is very differant from original CAT DI/VA.

After the exam i felt that, i can get atleast 2-3 calls. All this illusions are result of my poor understanding of cat and lack of overall perspective. I have assumed that, i can get a score above 58 which is what TIME predicted as cutoff. Again this is due to my poor analysis of mocks/aimcats. I dunno what my accuracy is, what my strike rate is usually like....

... Contd in next post
  • Like 335
  • Share 3
  • Quote & Reply
  • Follow
  • imaginer88 I am not able to read the complete post . contd in next post ke liye next post mien kahan se jaon ?
    • B I U
    B I U Post
    Well for the past 1 year and 2 months since I joined Pagalguy , I was a silent spectator over here on this thread . Even for the past 45 something days , I thought my posting here will most probably be delayed by an year.Things were simply not coming together !! Something or the other was just no...
    46 46
    Then came THE moment, tryst with destiny may be: September 2005:happened to spot an article in outlook,abt a certain website run by a bunch of well, it appeared like similar-minded folks, happened to log on. Rather log in. log whatever, and well, just couldnt let go of it. This was it, all that I...
    4 4
    Let me make it clear at the very outset that I cant help folks who will sigh at the sight of this piece(both in terms of size and matter)thinking on the lines of, here we go, yet another chandoo wanna-be..,cos,well,I dare say, I am one such wannabe and in addition to that, this piece is being wri...
    2 2
    starting problems, eh? :satisfie:
    my two cents. dunno if it'll work, but try...
    as i said before, there are a few easy questions in each CAT. by easy, you basically mean questions the same type of which you've done before... and which you're reasonably sure you can crack. try to find out th...
    @no_speed_limit and Kamal B
    query:
    whenever i take a test the first question i attempt usually consumes a lot of time no matter what i choose. due to this i become nervous and then my comprehension power drops down drastically. all the figures, charts, numbers, words everything makes no se...
    first of all, stop being so scared of quant. practise as much as you can in it... that should help... and check for the simple questions first in each mock... there are always a few in each mock. crack those first, and that should give you some confidence before you try the rest.
    why is it tha...
    2 2
    don't try to understand the reading in the first shot itself... if the readings are as tough as they were for the last CAT, you'll waste a lot of time trying to understand the thing first up, and it may not even help you in the end.
    first go through the questions. make a mental note of what th...
    Great post yaar, really inspiring. I appreciate it.
    I have problem with my RC and DI. My reading speed is around 160 if I try to understand the passage fully. What r the strategies to improve. And also my DI score in SIMCATS are very low(single digits)...
    any body plzzzzzzzzz help me out
    i'll tell you what i'd done. no guarantees that it'll work for everyone.
    1. do as many quant questions as you can in as many mocks that you can get your hands on.
    2. if you have the material for any coaching... TIME / IMS / CL, make sure you're clear with the stuff given there.
    3. DON'T ...
    1 1
    Rather than noting the time taken to solve a particular sum note a range in which to solve a particular section depending on difficulty level. eg i used to take 35-45 mins for Quant which was my weakness. that way if the CAT is screwed then after 45 mins u have atleast a sorta confidence level t...
    Thanks Kamal. After reading your post, i really feel motivated and feel myself to be Alexander ready to conquer the whole world.
    I am aiming CAT 2007. I have a query that should i start solving quantitative section just now on the basis of time, i mean should i monitor how much time i take to ...
    Hey All CAT 2007 ASPIRANTS
    I am a first year student of IIM Calcutta. I have a work experience of IT Sales of 2.5 yrs. An electrical engineer. Not very extraordinary extracurriculars..
    Here are my two cents on your CAT Preparation..I dont want it to be very long post,
    1. Am I late : No ...
    31 31
    I think what you need at the moment is a break from your desperation and frustration and little dose of self-confidence... it happened to me during preparation that my scores started going down, i got anxious, desperate and frustrated at not being able to change the course of things.... All i did...
    hey anupam
    u truly epitomize"never say never" whatevr u call so ...determination, perseverance or persistence ...the attribute is more imp than the representation n u truly possess so ...
    can u pl elaborate how did u go about cracking 5rcs in 25min....would be HELPFUL..
    doing realy bad a...
    1. It varies fromm person to person as what might be good for me may not be good for you.For ex: Many people only prefer IIMs & dont apply for colleges like SP Jain,MDI etc.
    So if you think that you have made it to the college which can add to your career, then go for it else if you have the ...
    1 1
    1. yes, there are people who do well in their 2nd or 3rd attempt but then there are people who clear it in the 1st go & also there are people who fail to clear it despite many attempts...so there's no such theory...all i can say is tht there can be case who become serious only aftr failing to cle...
    1 1
    hey crisp
    awesum post man.... loved it....
    although u cudnt make it....but i vil tel u wat....
    most important thing is tht u realised where u r laggin... and wat r ur weak points.... basically u know where u have to work upon for the next attempt... and i guess thts the most imp thing
    1 1
    I came, I sawI purred!
    CAT: How I ruined it?
    June of 2005. That was when I had made the brightest decision of my life (supposedly) - to take CAT. And, to crack it. Like a black-belt cracks the marble slabs. I wasnt kidding myself. I had always been a bright girl at school, in college and ev...
    23 23
    Good efforts Maverick !
    It is well written story & u are not alone facing such situations . There are many people appearing for CAT who face such situations in their life.
    CAT is not just an exam , it means a lot to one's career !
    hi ..
    the tragedy of life doesnt seem to limit to one!!!
    in came sixth sem of my B-tech (electrical)..
    desperately awaited ...free frm coll for six months!!!
    had ind. training in NTPC--- swoomed to delhi!!
    independence!!! a PG..complete aish..freedom...
    blossoming came the dream...