[CAT 2008 Helpline] Ask IIM Kozhikode students - Last minute CAT preparation tips!

thanks 4 help........
guys u r very helpful 2 me.problem wid me is how 2 stay calm.....at d time of xam

Some pointers

1) If you have been doing well and If you have the confidence within you there's no reason to be nervous during the exam
2) Rely on your tried and tested strategy and you would be able to crack the paper
3) Don't get bogged down by one question or in other words don't be egoistical. Let your ego be hurt.
4) Never ever lose hope
5) Deep breathing when you think you are not getting anywhere cools the mind (at least it works in my case)
6) Keep a bottle of water by your side. But make it a point not to drink too much. You don't need added distractions :)

All the Best everyone!!! Go snare the billi :D

Mridul

Hello !

I've got this bad habit of posting long posts when I get emotional

So here we are. Tomorrow what you will do might just change your lives forever. Tomorrow is when all the blood, sweat and tears you've shed will culminate into the starting of a journey which will take you to heights never dreamt of and lows never expected.

It's been a long and hard journey so far for most of you. You must be tired, but you must pick yourself up one last time, and go and give it the shot of your of life.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I'll say some stuff which I've said before on PG. I genuinely believe all of this, and I think it can make the difference between making it and being stranded in a so-close-yet-so-far situation.

Remember 1 things, guys. It's all about you and you alone. There is only ONE competitor when you write CAT. You. It's you you are fighting with to give your best on d-day. It's you who can pull you down, and you who can take you up. The rest of the world can go take a hike. It's your life, your hard work, your d-day. 60k, 100k, 200k, 500k, bring them on, should be the spirit. 10.30 to 1 on Sunday it's YOU and the printed sheets of paper on the table in front of you, that's where the world starts and ends. It's time to forget your friends', your family's and other well-wishers' aspirations. You are there because YOU want it, more than anybody else in this world.

You can tell yourself that you are good enough, or crumble against the pressure of competing with thousands of brilliant souls in the country. Yes, there are thousands of brilliant people, many of them way better than you who will be writing the CAT. But none of them can stop you from maxing your performance in the paper.

If you are not feeling confident, if the chips are down, remember...

A huge chunk of people here comprise of the following :

- Those who had an average mock score in the lower nineties or higher eighties
- Those who never crossed even 85 percentile in mocks
- Those who never studied and didnt even give mocks... they turned up on d-day without a worry in the world and cracked it

I came in here thinking that this place would be full of people who regularly featured in the toppers list and who cracked mocks easily. I was wrong. I think the mock non-achievers easily outnumber the ones who performed well.

What made them not give up and be where they are today? The ability of not giving up. If you think you aint gonna make it, if you havent been performing well, say 1 line inside your head : If I am going down, I am going down fighting, fighting till the very end, fighting to the point where I know I have done anything and everything to make it.

Need some more last minute inspiration? Here is where you should head to :

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/cat-an...eak-about.html (All I wanted to Speak about CAT)

For 3 years, I read and re-read this thread and dreamt of the moment when I'd see those magical words on the screen. Read, and go dream.

What's the use of solid foundations if you have dont have previously built castles in the air to build them under?

Something else to cheer you up....An inspiring video....

Life at IIM Ahmedabad

Lastly.... some unsolicited gyaan

Never forget 1 thing. Life is too short and too unpredictable to keep all of it at stake for a single thing. Maybe this is not the right thing to say at this stage, but you need to always keep the bigger picture in mind ( other than for those 2.5 hours, of course!! ). At the risk of sounding like a party pooper, I'd like all of you to keep in mind that often in life, things are beyond our control in ways we would have never imagined. As much as I hope that everyone here succeeds tomorrow, I know from personal experience that life often has very unpleasant and unexpected things waiting for us round the corner. How you take these and move on depends a lot on how prepared you are for them. Dont rule out the possibility that you might not make it anywhere - if that does happen, you've only made the hole you are gonna be in way, way deeper.

I made this stupid mistake over a year ago, and boy, I paid for it in ways I am still discovering. I had 5 IIM calls, and I had just assumed that I would make it somewhere atleast, but I did not. What followed changed my life in ways more than I can understand and imagine. The IIMs I could always have a go at again, but what I ended up losing as a consequence of that mistake will probably haunt me for a long time.

Remember that the IIMs - and other b-schools - are but one part of life, and are something which you can keep trying for a few times. Understand that there are other things in life, the people you love, with whom you might not have another chance. Dont let a defeat which can be undone in a year change something which cannot be, ever.

Sometimes, the best is but an illusion, and can come at the cost of something far more valuable but completely intangible. In the end, it's these intangibles that make life worth living, not a high flying job and truckloads of money.

All the best, guys. Its not very long till your fate will be decided, but try to think long-term, and value what and whom you have in your life. This might sound very pessimistic, but pessimism is often a very sensible approach to prevent life's nasty surprises from really getting to you.

Cheers,
Harshad

best of luck to all the puys we all gona make it there where we ever wanted to. everyone give your best once again best of luck

All the best Puys! All the best! May the sun shine on all us guileless souls....

phew...I am not writing CAT 2008 but it almost feels as if I am..With the MBA test season official kickoff happening tomorrow I would urge you to completely focus on the task at hand while writing the test and not worry about the outcome so as to give your best.

ALL THE VERY BEST

chak de

All the best for CAT 2008. After going through the hard work and turmoil for months, you know what is good and what is not for you.Stick to your strategy, last minute changes don't work often.

If you've consistently got 95%ile+ in mocks, congrats, you should be high on confidence and CAT is just another "mock". However, don't take things for granted and approach the paper with vengeance.

If you've scored in 80s or 90s in mocks, congrats, you've been on the track and CAT is just another "mock". Do whatever that works for you and put up a consolidated effort.

If you've scored less than 80s in mocks, congrats, there is no dearth of people like you who are doing their PGDM from IIMs. There is no reason not to believe that you can't make it. Mock scores were just samples. CAT is just another "mock". Put up your best effort and rest will be history.

I would like to reiterate that take CAT just like another "mock". No need to be intimidated by huge no.s like 2,75,000 or 99.98 or 3.14159 etc. Don't worry about petty things like pencils, sleep, which shoes to wear, etc. Just concentrate on paper and do whatever that works for you.

Good luck, see you on this side soon.

Well, Firstly, I would like to thank all puys for keeping our spirits high . I wish all of CAT 08 takers , including me ;-), All the Best .

Best wishes from my side too... :happy:

Any special advice for tomorrow will only add to the build up around this over-hyped exam...

In case someone visits this thread after the exam...please don't waste the next month worrying over the cutoffs for calls given by coaching institutes...last year CL,IMS & TIME(& the 50 others) weren't able to correctly predict the cutoffs for calls for almost any of the exams...or for that matter the keys...

There will be thread with 3820 different hypothesis on the cutoffs...& getting too involved with debating over the paper on the threads(IIMs managed to make even quant ambiguous last year) might end up spoiling the remaining ones like XAT, FMS etc.

Best of luck

Cheers ...

Sorry folks... Have been busy, so have not been able to get time to post... Would not like to give any gyaan... Just a wishful thinking... That everyone who sees this message finds a way into the B-school of his choice...

And don't rely on any of the answer keys you see tomorrow.... Especially not in Verbal...

If we get the paper, we will try to post the answers (what we feel is right)... But of course, that (or should it be 'those' ... my grammar is poor ) might not be correct either...

Best of luck all... Phod do CAT aa jao IIM....

Seniors tusi sab great ho
I know if I say thanks now,you wn't be that happy.My result will make you happy:smile: or you can say my attempt.I leave my result to Almighty.
I am going to bell the cat tommorrow.

Cat '08 Takers

Wishing you all the very best..

We, the entire K family, hope a lot of you can bell the CAT this time

ALL THE VERY BEST

Thanks a lot seniors !! You all did a really gr8 job in lifting our spirits and answering all the queries patiently.

See you there

thanks a lot for your guidance, support and motivation..and all the very best to all cat takers..

Hey puys... All the best for tomorrow. Go,give it your best shot and I am sure puys will rock as always..

Just do not take tension of any kind. Even if you are not getting the answers of few initial attempts, do not loose ur calm..this is the key to crack CAT.Just sit back...take few deep breaths and you will start rocking.

Thanks a ton to all the seniors for the valuable guidance and wishes.

i would just like to thank all the seniors for their inspirational and motivational posts. it really helped me keep my spirit up. i am not a regular contributor to the pg, but i did made a point to read this thread and found it invaluable.

seniors u rock

and all the best for cat 08 fellow puys.............................

faad dalna CAT

You need to carry the following

1. Admit Card
  2. Atleast a couple of HB pencils
  3. Eraser
  4. Sharpener
  5. Watch - (I have forgotten it many times)
  6. Calm, Confidence and Smile - (under-rated but makes a huge difference)

Skip this if you are in a hurry:
Have a strategy in mind before you enter the examination hall. Once you get the paper in your hand, you'll have 10-15 min before the test begins. Use this time to evaluate your stategy against the pattern of the test. There is a good chance that CAT will try to shock you, remain calm, remember your strengths and more importantly your weaker areas. Be flexible, if need be improvise on your strategy. Expect surprises. Your ability to respond to them would make the difference.
I know of enough and more people (including me), who have cracked CAT inspite of some forgettable perfomances in mocks. It really happens.
For those who have done well in mocks; you know better than me: Complacency is injurious to CAT takers. Be aware, be sensible.
One finalpiece of advice: Promise to yourself that come what may, you will never lose a second in the test due to panic. Forget about the results, give it the best you have, that should be more than enough.

Redeem yourself on this Third Sunday of November.

Thanks a lot for all the help.... the C- Day is upon us....AIMCAT 0900 .....here's wishing fellow puys the very best of success....its time, like they say, to rock on!

Cheers,

We, the K family,Wish all of you all the very best for CAT....Rock On!!!

Thanks a lot harshadk and everyone else from IIM Kozhikode for this beautiful initiative and help. You guys rock! Hopefully we can make it a tradition from now on.

With CAT 2008 over, it's time to close this thread. Keep looking in the CAT section of the forums for CAT analysis threads.

Cheers,