About this discussion

Last updated

Author
@iday

Tags

US MBA Loan and Re-Payment->Worth It? A Discussion

> From what i know after speaking to alums from almost all top-15 schools, repaying the loan is a darn big thing and it takes a pretty long time. People come from India (who have never been to US) thinking about greener pastures and then realit...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 5 of 30   

Dude...focus on the GMAT and get a decent score (700+ ideal!).

Apply to the best possible schools (including 1 or 2 backups) based on your profile and aspirations. Once you get an admit, start thinking about loans/ repayments.

-Bhavya (MBA '09 Booth)

Hi . I have decided to sit for GMAT this year . I have a work experience of 3+ yrs in IT(which mostly here are) and have a fairly good academic record with 81% in U.G .

But after reading your posts on loans and repayment of loans . I think I need to rethink on sitting for GMAT. Please help me should i think about loans and repayment after i get the SCORE or even before it. .

Please help me . waiting for your reply
  • 1 Like  
Commenting on this post has been disabled.

Hi . I have decided to sit for GMAT this year . I have a work experience of 3+ yrs in IT(which mostly here are) and have a fairly good academic record with 81% in U.G .

But after reading your posts on loans and repayment of loans . I think I need to rethink on sitting for GMAT. Please help me should i think about loans and repayment after i get the SCORE or even before it. .

Please help me . waiting for your reply

Go Global with ISBR Global PGDM – AICTE Approved

Advantages

- AICTE Approved

- Excellent ROI with cent% placement

- Experience 3 different countries

- Ranked No. 1 New Generation B-Schools of India

- Affordable Fee

Know More

ISBR Edge

- 23 years of excellence

- Located in Bangalore

- Highest Salary offered: 28 Lakh p.a.

- Received Exemplary Placement Award 2014

Download Fee Sructure

My 2 cents:

Focus on your GMAT now and get a 700+ score. After that work hard on your applications.

If you can make it to top 20 US business schools, you should not worry about the financial burden.

-Bhavya (MBA '09 Chicago Booth)

Hi all.

I shall be taking the GMAT during the first week of June this year. I want to know if spending so much on a US MBA is worth it or not. For me, personally, a US MBA will involve a considerable financial burden since I'll have to opt for a loan for the most part of it.

I intend to pursue the US MBA only if admitted to one of the top B-Schools. I look forward to working in the US after graduating from the B-School in order to pa back the debt and also to acquire some international work-ex. I have little idea as to how the job scene currently is for international MBA students in the US and would like to have some insight on that as well.

Could anyone please do the cost-benefit analysis for me? I'm really so confused right now.

Thanks in advance.
  • 3 Likes  
Hi all.

I shall be taking the GMAT during the first week of June this year. I want to know if spending so much on a US MBA is worth it or not. For me, personally, a US MBA will involve a considerable financial burden since I'll have to opt for a loan for the most part of it.

I intend to pursue the US MBA only if admitted to one of the top B-Schools. I look forward to working in the US after graduating from the B-School in order to pa back the debt and also to acquire some international work-ex. I have little idea as to how the job scene currently is for international MBA students in the US and would like to have some insight on that as well.

Could anyone please do the cost-benefit analysis for me? I'm really so confused right now.

Thanks in advance.

I just posted on this topic : http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/international-indian-mba-schools-accepting/14956-phoren-b-school-assistance-desk-442.html#post2440407

- TP
bizschoolprep@gmail.com
  • 1 Like  

Hi all.

Thanks in advance.

I need lodging in the USA. I need to know what can help me save on lodging while i'm abroad ?

HBS/W/Chi/Col/Stern/Sloan

v2013 Says
In India, reputation wise which US schools is LSE comparable to in Finance? Thanks
  • 1 Like  
It is worth it if you know you want to get into specific finance role post school. If you want to have keep more options open you should go for MBA program.

In India, reputation wise which US schools is LSE comparable to in Finance? Thanks

It is worth it if you know what you want to get into (some specific finance role) post school. If you want to keep more options open you should go for MBA program.

v2013 Says
Guys I wanted to ask a similar question. Want to study a masters at LSE in Finance (2 years) so would have to take a 35 000 pound loan. Is it worth it?

Guys I wanted to ask a similar question. Want to study a masters at LSE in Finance (2 years) so would have to take a 35 000 pound loan. Is it worth it?

Good Luck. Let me know if you need any help.

Sniper2 Says
Thank you Bhavya Ji. I am working on my applications now

I wish to go in management consulting post MBA. I have got a B-school admit How to improve my profile during the time before joining the B school? Any suggestions friends?

Varun | ISB CO 2012

Thank you Bhavya Ji. I am working on my applications now

Hi,

In my experience I have seen many folks with similar profile to yours (including GMAT around 690) in Columbia, NYU, Wharton and Booth.

GMAT is just one aspect of the application so my advise would be focus on the rest of the application. Make sure you have the right story and that it is communicated well in your essays and resume.

Good Luck!

Guys,

Please evaluate my chances for a full time MBA program in Columbia, NYU Stern, Yale or Wharton. I am 27 years old professional (not US permanent resident)

GRE: 590 Verbal + 790 Quant (GRE/GMAT comparison table puts this score as equivalent to 690 in GMAT. I know this is not how the adcoms might compare but just to give idea to many of us I am using this tool)

Work Exp: Currently working in Hitachi Corporation in California since 4.5 years as Engineer specializing in semiconductors and advanced materials for future memories. I am not where close to IT.

M.S.: University of Alabama (Materials Engineering)
GPA: 3.67/4.0
Won the grad school fellowship award, internships, thesis, papers

B.Tech: NIT Trichy (Metallurgical Engineering)
69%

12th & 10th: 75 %

Please tell me if I have a chance any of the schools I mentioned for a full time course.

Has anyone opted for loans from Paras Educational Foundation? Please reply in case you have ever used Paras..

Not sure about the reliability. mail to 1984.suman@gmail.com

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

235 people follow this discussion.