About this discussion

Last updated

Author
@iday

Tags

US MBA Loan and Re-Payment->Worth It? A Discussion

> From what i know after speaking to alums from almost all top-15 schools, repaying the loan is a darn big thing and it takes a pretty long time. People come from India (who have never been to US) thinking about greener pastures and then realit...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 1 of 30   

Yes, If you return to the US on a Student Visa (F1) then your earlier H1 B would eventually become invalid. Hence, you need to go for a new H1B for your post MBA employment in the US. On your second question, I am not sure if there are any disadvantages. As you have worked in the US before and are exposed to their work culture, you may have a slight edge on others (no US experience) with skill sets.

So if i return to India, i would have to apply for H1B again to be able to work there, right?
Also, does applying for H1B for the 2nd time have any particular advantage or disadvantage? Thank you
Commenting on this post has been disabled.
nmmbaabroad Says
Based on your plan, If you come back to Indian in Year 2 and stay in India (out of US) for a year, then the clock is reset. That means, Year 5 will be treated as the starting year for the new H1B you are going to get after your MBA.

So if i return to India, i would have to apply for H1B again to be able to work there, right?
Also, does applying for H1B for the 2nd time have any particular advantage or disadvantage? Thank you
One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More

Based on your plan, If you come back to Indian in Year 2 and stay in India (out of US) for a year, then the clock is reset. That means, Year 5 will be treated as the starting year for the new H1B you are going to get after your MBA.

After getting an H1B this year, I have a set plan for the next 7 years(if all goes according to plan)
Year 1 - Work for my company in the US
Year 2 - Back to India & work for a yr more
Year 3,4 - MBA in the US
Year 5,6,7 - Work in the US to repay my loan.

Query: H1B is valid for a max of 6 years. I think we need to return to India before applying for H1B again. How to do i manage to work in the US in the 7th year without having to return back to India for a yr? Kindly help. Thank you.
  • 1 Like  

After getting an H1B this year, I have a set plan for the next 7 years(if all goes according to plan)
Year 1 - Work for my company in the US
Year 2 - Back to India & work for a yr more
Year 3,4 - MBA in the US
Year 5,6,7 - Work in the US to repay my loan.

Query: H1B is valid for a max of 6 years. I think we need to return to India before applying for H1B again. How to do i manage to work in the US in the 7th year without having to return back to India for a yr? Kindly help. Thank you.

I can help all i can

Looking at this link that you posted The High Price of Admission

The Years to payback has been calculated as Total Cost/ Salary premium

Hope it helps!

nice explanation
ITs a US mba loan topic but still --I dropped the idea of joining HKUST inspite of 100 % scholarship(though chances are high that i might join it next year after collecting some good amount of money)

I really want to be back in india asap and thats the priority for me!!

Any reason for not looking at Indian MBAs? there are some top notch ones right here as well...
  • 1 Like  
FT MBA (2013-14), Melbourne Business School

what is the credibility of this company???
Has some one taken a loan???
Seniors help pls.........

http://www.isloan.org/

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what would be the total cost for doing an MBA in US from top20 universities...?
I referred to different websites but each one is giving different estimates.

bs0409, each b-school would have certain fixed and variable component that would determine the cost of your MBA.
For example, the fixed components would include the tuition fees (which is the major chunk), health insurance, fees for books & course materials. The variable component would be your living, eating, personal excursions and other life-maintainence expenditures (including studying with family)- which will depend on your lifestyle.
Other than this you would be paying for any field trips/ career treks etc
The best place to get this data would be from the websites of your target schools. In general you can expect the cost of an MBA from the top 20 programs to work out around $150,000 - $160,000.

MBA Decoder
myself ashish from India , from a middleclass family taking a loan and thought to do mba in usa ,i have few questions
is mba from average university in usa is worth to be taken as loan to pay tuition fees or there is hamburger of universities like scene in India and one cant pay loan so easily
in order to pay loan i have to remain in usa for long time ,and to stay in usa i have to file h1b during opt status ,what are chances of this narration as of international student previous experience in this regard
IS only top ranking 15 business school in usa fruitful in my case ,if yes their 2years tuition fee is around 100 k but i donot have that money and i have to take loan do they provide loan for international student?
is scholar ship available .please comment
my email id is
my phone is

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what would be the total cost for doing an MBA in US from top20 universities...?
I referred to different websites but each one is giving different estimates.

Three Lives. Three Destinies. One Name. CAT'12 : 95.86%ile

ITs a US mba loan topic but still --I dropped the idea of joining HKUST inspite of 100 % scholarship(though chances are high that i might join it next year after collecting some good amount of money)

I really want to be back in india asap and thats the priority for me!!

I also heard of Paras. How quick and reliable are they in processing loan applications?? Any idea?

In this context does anybody have any idea about
1) How long it takes to get Canadian citizenship?
2) How long the US GC queue is for Canadian citizens?

• 1 Like  
Hi Folks
Anyone having any idea on the following:
Duration of OPT in US post MBA? Is it 14 months ? Also anyone who completes an MBA from US gets to stay in US during OPT irrespective of whether they get a job or not ?

OPT period is 12months. You are allowed 90days of unemployment in the OPT period before you have to leave the country. However, if you are working in even a non-paying job, then the 90day rule is put on hold. Most students, when still searching for a job, volunteer at some kind of organization and thus keep away the 90day limitation.
  • 6 Likes  

Hi Folks
Anyone having any idea on the following:
Duration of OPT in US post MBA? Is it 14 months ? Also anyone who completes an MBA from US gets to stay in US during OPT irrespective of whether they get a job or not ?

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

235 people follow this discussion.