University of Maryland- Robert H smith School of Business fall 2012 applicants

Hi, I could not locate any threads for the fall 2012 UMD applicants. If there is one can anyone pls send me the link. Any applicants who have applied in round one? :banghead:
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 2 of 9   
amuupg Says
Hey buddy ...why are you spreading negative sentiments about UMd Smith MBA, every one has their own perceptions ....

Just trying to make people aware of the situation there.
When I visited the campus I saw the preferential treatment meted out to Caucasian students. The career services consists of Caucasians who dislike Indian students as per my interactions. Also one of the current Caucasian 'scholarship/fellowship' recipient has made derogatory comments about Indian students in public. I felt sorry for the current students at the school. Very talented but unfortunately ended up at the wrong school. Also the school doesnt seem to care about international students. They just admit them so that the US citizen student's MBA experience is enriched. They admit international students so as to get a better MBA ranking based on the international component of students. I wanted to educate prospective students about the issues the school has as I am a proud Indian and believe in the 21st century we should not face discrimination! I do not want to apologize to anyone on the forum for being a proud Indian and trying to educate prospective students about what they are getting into.
amuupg Says
Hey buddy ...why are you spreading negative sentiments about UMd Smith MBA, every one has their own perceptions ....

Just trying to make people aware of the situation there.
When I visited the campus I saw the preferential treatment meted out to Caucasian students. The career services consists of Caucasians who are racist and dislike Indian students as per my interactions. Also one of the current Caucasian 'scholarship/fellowship' recipient has made racist comments about Indian students in public. I felt sorry for the current students at the school. Very talented but unfortunately ended up at the wrong school. Also the school doesnt seem to care about international students. They just admit them so that the US citizen student's MBA experience is enriched. They admit international students so as to get a better MBA ranking based on the international component of students. I wanted to educate prospective students about the issues the school has as I am a proud Indian and believe in the 21st century we should not face discrimination! I do not want to apologize to anyone on the forum for being a proud Indian and trying to educate prospective students about what they are getting into.
  • 3 Likes  
I think if you choose Smith for your MBA you may end up ruing the choice for the rest of your life. You guys still have time to back out.
Hope common sense prevails!

• 1 Like  

I think if you choose Smith for your MBA you may end up ruing the choice for the rest of your life. You guys still have time to back out.
Hope common sense prevails!

indianpolymath Says
A GA will give you significant tuition waiver and a monthly stipend. If you calculate the savings it would be more than the cash schols

ya, u r right .. thanks for the reply.. was just being over optimistic there is something called a Smith scholar award which gives a GA and a schol on top of it. Anyways, I am happy with what has been given :)

Cheers,
Sandeep
admitted with a GA.
Guys, did anybody get a scholarship?

and does getting a GA mean that there wont be any scholarship?? Generally,as per my knowledge, schools award scholarships a couple of weeks after admission. So I basically dint understand it yet. Does that mean a scholarship decision is yet to be out or should I be just happy with the GA.
Can anybody throw some light??

A GA will give you significant tuition waiver and a monthly stipend. If you calculate the savings it would be more than the cash schols

I have been in touch with some current students and alumni. I got pretty decent reviews about the MBA program at Smith but looking at the placement statistics, it seems that the more than 65% of the students are placed in DC. I regard this as a disadvantage as few alumni would be available in rest of US.

What are your views ?

Hey Guys ,

I know i am late in joining the thread. Hi to everyone as some of us are gonna be future class mates.
I also got an Admit from R.H.Smith and a G.A. + tuition remission + Schol .
The G.A. is for first year but is most likely to be repeated for the second year. all those who have got G.A. can assume that 80% of their living expenses will be covered by the G.A.
Smith is a very good business school and is highly respected in the U.S. There are always some pros and cons with every school. Through my interactions with the Adcom and current students i have found that it is one of the most welcoming schools for the international students, but the international students doesnt mean only INDIANS! lol .... they have students from almost 15 countries.... think about that.

My profile is
GMAT 730
TOEFL 110
work Ex TOTAL 3 years ( 2 years with MNC IT consulting company , rest with MNC business analytics and Intellectual property research.)

I have also got an Admit from Rotman, but no scholarship and it seems , even though they are offering to get me full tuition loan, it will be a lot of pressure for me to bear a debt of approx 50 Lacks at least, right out of MBA. So for now my choice is Smith.

best Regards and goodluck everyone !

Hello my friend,

Thanks for the reply :)
But there is a catch here.. unless I show a concrete proof that I would be able to finish my MBA come what may, I shall not be funded that minimum promised amount by my bank to pay my initial fee.. They will certainly not buy this internship theory..!!!

Hey Pradzy.

Tried approaching banks? they give upto 20 lakhs in loan for students going abroad for MBA.. maybe you can try there..
I am not sure ..how you come up with 15K for 10 weeks internship ..believe me I am working in US for last 5 years ..getting such internship is very difficult ...I would say ..think of somewhere around 8k-10K max for the internship ..but if will be some other city ..think of all that other costs .....

Also Pradzy as we have already talked ...remember the cost of living is very very high in the DC area ..so plan accordingly.

All the best ....

I agree. 15K is the max I told. was just over optimistic. However, do every indian get an internship? whats the avg sal they get for interns?

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

28 people follow this discussion.