University of Maryland- Robert H smith School of Business fall 2012 applicants

Hi, I could not locate any threads for the fall 2012 UMD applicants. If there is one can anyone pls send me the link. Any applicants who have applied in round one? :banghead:
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 2 of 6   
admitted with a GA.
Guys, did anybody get a scholarship?

and does getting a GA mean that there wont be any scholarship?? Generally,as per my knowledge, schools award scholarships a couple of weeks after admission. So I basically dint understand it yet. Does that mean a scholarship decision is yet to be out or should I be just happy with the GA.
Can anybody throw some light??

A GA will give you significant tuition waiver and a monthly stipend. If you calculate the savings it would be more than the cash schols

I have been in touch with some current students and alumni. I got pretty decent reviews about the MBA program at Smith but looking at the placement statistics, it seems that the more than 65% of the students are placed in DC. I regard this as a disadvantage as few alumni would be available in rest of US.

What are your views ?

LIVE CHAT with ex- Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi

Ask all about Post-CAT results in a LIVE CHAT on 

26th December 2014 at 8.30pm with  Dr. Himanshu Rai, CAT 2010 Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi.‚Äč

Participate Now

-Full time post graduate program in business

-Faculty from SDA Bocconi, Italy 

-Dual Campus Mumbai and Milan

-2014 Avg. CTC 10 Lakh p.a

- Merit Based Tuition Fee Waiver 

Download Placement Stats

Hey Guys ,

I know i am late in joining the thread. Hi to everyone as some of us are gonna be future class mates.
I also got an Admit from R.H.Smith and a G.A. + tuition remission + Schol .
The G.A. is for first year but is most likely to be repeated for the second year. all those who have got G.A. can assume that 80% of their living expenses will be covered by the G.A.
Smith is a very good business school and is highly respected in the U.S. There are always some pros and cons with every school. Through my interactions with the Adcom and current students i have found that it is one of the most welcoming schools for the international students, but the international students doesnt mean only INDIANS! lol .... they have students from almost 15 countries.... think about that.

My profile is
GMAT 730
TOEFL 110
work Ex TOTAL 3 years ( 2 years with MNC IT consulting company , rest with MNC business analytics and Intellectual property research.)

I have also got an Admit from Rotman, but no scholarship and it seems , even though they are offering to get me full tuition loan, it will be a lot of pressure for me to bear a debt of approx 50 Lacks at least, right out of MBA. So for now my choice is Smith.

best Regards and goodluck everyone !

Hello my friend,

Thanks for the reply :)
But there is a catch here.. unless I show a concrete proof that I would be able to finish my MBA come what may, I shall not be funded that minimum promised amount by my bank to pay my initial fee.. They will certainly not buy this internship theory..!!!

Hey Pradzy.

Tried approaching banks? they give upto 20 lakhs in loan for students going abroad for MBA.. maybe you can try there..
I am not sure ..how you come up with 15K for 10 weeks internship ..believe me I am working in US for last 5 years ..getting such internship is very difficult ...I would say ..think of somewhere around 8k-10K max for the internship ..but if will be some other city ..think of all that other costs .....

Also Pradzy as we have already talked ...remember the cost of living is very very high in the DC area ..so plan accordingly.

All the best ....

I agree. 15K is the max I told. was just over optimistic. However, do every indian get an internship? whats the avg sal they get for interns?

I am not sure ..how you come up with 15K for 10 weeks internship ..believe me I am working in US for last 5 years ..getting such internship is very difficult ...I would say ..think of somewhere around 8k-10K max for the internship ..but if will be some other city ..think of all that other costs .....

Also Pradzy as we have already talked ...remember the cost of living is very very high in the DC area ..so plan accordingly.

All the best ....

indianpolymath Says
Through internships you would get around 15K$ which amounts to approx. 7.5 lakhs. You can add that to your second year fee reduction (To be on the optimistic note ) Wish you luck

Hello my friend,

Thanks for the reply :)
But there is a catch here.. unless I show a concrete proof that I would be able to finish my MBA come what may, I shall not be funded that minimum promised amount by my bank to pay my initial fee.. They will certainly not buy this internship theory..!!!
Its been a roller-coaster like 48 hours for me... I gave my Maryland interview late on 22-Feb-2012 and it went on tremendously well. It was more like a discussion than like an interview. Both the interviewer and myself were very satisfied by the end of the PI. As a direct result of it, I think, with in 24 hours I got an offer from the school along with GA for the first year and a fee remission of 5000$.

Despite that, I probably would have to accumulate 35L INR which is a lot of money for me. I approached Credila (last month)and after evaluating my collateral they are ready to fund upto 15L. I can manage around 3-5 Lakhs from my savings. And that means I terribly fall short of funds...

As much I want to make to this B school, it seems there is no way out for me... This post to ask people if there is any practical way out of this predicament. I know there isn't but just could resist posting.. Thanks for reading.

Through internships you would get around 15K$ which amounts to approx. 7.5 lakhs. You can add that to your second year fee reduction (To be on the optimistic note ) Wish you luck

Nope. Any one else waitlisted ?

hey folks!!
I have been waitlisted!!
Anyone has any idea whether i will be eligible for scholarship in case the WL turns into an Admit?
Any views?

Whatz up dude... did you hear from them?

Its been a roller-coaster like 48 hours for me... I gave my Maryland interview late on 22-Feb-2012 and it went on tremendously well. It was more like a discussion than like an interview. Both the interviewer and myself were very satisfied by the end of the PI. As a direct result of it, I think, with in 24 hours I got an offer from the school along with GA for the first year and a fee remission of 5000$.

Despite that, I probably would have to accumulate 35L INR which is a lot of money for me. I approached Credila (last month)and after evaluating my collateral they are ready to fund upto 15L. I can manage around 3-5 Lakhs from my savings. And that means I terribly fall short of funds...

As much I want to make to this B school, it seems there is no way out for me... This post to ask people if there is any practical way out of this predicament. I know there isn't but just could resist posting.. Thanks for reading.

Yes ..I did receive the admission packet with all info including financial aid and admissions letter ....but it is exactly the true copy of what you got in email ...just the paperback and official seal :)

Anyways the packet comes in a awesome leather folder ....:)

you got an admit letter as well?? Have you also submitted the "certificate of finance"?? And how long did it take for the packet to come? I mean the lapse between the email and the mail.

Yes ..I did receive the admission packet with all info including financial aid and admissions letter ....but it is exactly the true copy of what you got in email ...just the paperback and official seal :)

Yes ..I did received the admission packet with all info including financial aid and admissions letter ....but it is exactly the true copy of what you got in email ...just the paperback and official seal :)

amuupg Says
Admitted .....with GA ..

Hey, did you receive a hard copy of the financial aid letter which was mentioned in the e-mail? Its has been 2 weeks since the financial aid mail which mentioned sending a hard copy, but dint receive it yet.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

28 people follow this discussion.