About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Shruti George @shrutz

Tags

The PG Guide to English - All kind of questions on VA

Hey folks. 3 weeks to CAT.. VA/RC your bugbear? Ask any VA related query here... I will do my *best* to answer them I am jobless as it is :) Shrutz _Edit 1:_ No questions like what is the superlative adjunct to the simple future th...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 6 of 229   
Can some suggest the best " VA basics" material to be followed ???

n "VA practise" ????

Thnks in anticipation !!:):):)

Hi,

Additionally (to mbajamesbond's reply), you could refer Barron's GRE Material to build your vocabulary or enhance it.

Regards,
Preeti
  • 1 Like  
| CAT 2012 - Calls from IIM I and IIM S | CAT 2013 - It's All Over !! | IIFT 2013 - 47.25 | XAT 2014 - 96.34 %ile - Call for XLRI - HRM |
I have a query :

One of Transport meaning is : Overwhelming emotion, rapture.
Can somebody explain its senttence usage?

He was in transports of joy/delight/grief.(strong feelings)
Another usage for transport is as transport cafe : a cafe beside a main road providing cheap food,esp for lorry drivers.
  • 1 Like  
LIVE CHAT with ex- Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi

Ask all about Post-CAT results in a LIVE CHAT on 

26th December 2014 at 8.30pm with  Dr. Himanshu Rai, CAT 2010 Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi.‚Äč

Participate Now

-Full time post graduate program in business

-Faculty from SDA Bocconi, Italy 

-Dual Campus Mumbai and Milan

-2014 Avg. CTC 10 Lakh p.a

- Merit Based Tuition Fee Waiver 

Download Placement Stats

n "VA practise" ????

For a change you can study gmat (manhattan SC, OG for rc's) and lsat material(reasoning) and gre for vocab......
  • 1 Like  
{We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.}

n "VA practise" ????

YPA at TEACH FOR INDIA (2012-13)& a chotu motu blogger who loves blogging (parithelittleangel.blogspot.in ) , SOFTWARE ENGINEER AT L&T; INFOTECH

I have a query :

One of Transport meaning is : Overwhelming emotion, rapture.
Can somebody explain its senttence usage?

i am facing problem with philosophical and arts passages in the RC section.Even though i am an avid reader and can understand most of the words used in the paras, still i am not able to connect the sentences and comprehend their underlying meaning, thus getting most of the answers wrong.Please tell me what to do?...should i start reading some books on these topics? if yes, please suggest me some..

To infinity and beyond 
Question based on FIJs

(A) This does not mean that America should become more isolationalist.
(B) No one seriously imagines that peace can come to the Middle East without America.
(C) Yet a president who understands, as Mr. Bush did not, that America is not the uncontested hyper power of the 1990s- one who values "soft power" more than the hard version-will be a change for the better.
(D) An America led by such a man will listen more carefully to and work more closely with allies and rivals, will strive harder to respect the laws it has signed up to and might enter into new commitments, for instance to tackle climate change.

(a) IIII (b) JJJJ (c) IIJJ (d) JJII (e) FFJI

P.S.: plz xplain ur ans....i'm highly confused....

You can post this question in this thread to get quick response http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/fact-inference-judgement-for-cat-2012-25074734
JCU Singapore 2012 - 2013
Question based on FIJs

(A) This does not mean that America should become more isolationalist.
(B) No one seriously imagines that peace can come to the Middle East without America.
(C) Yet a president who understands, as Mr. Bush did not, that America is not the uncontested hyper power of the 1990s- one who values "soft power" more than the hard version-will be a change for the better.
(D) An America led by such a man will listen more carefully to and work more closely with allies and rivals, will strive harder to respect the laws it has signed up to and might enter into new commitments, for instance to tackle climate change.

(a) IIII (b) JJJJ (c) IIJJ (d) JJII (e) FFJI

P.S.: plz xplain ur ans....i'm highly confused....
Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school

hello puys,

i have a question. please analyze the sentence below.

The whole village was convinced that raju had lost his reason, when mohan
returned to set things straight.

My analysis:

1. there are three verbs : convinced, lost and returned

2. the subjects: "The whole village" for "was convinced" , raju for "had lost" and "mohan" for "returned"

3. "that" is conjunction
4. "when mohan returned to set things straight" is a prepositional phrase modifying the whole sentence.

5. "to set things straight" is a noun phrase used as an object to verb "returned".

6. to set is infinitive with its object "things" and adjective "straight".

please verify if my analysis is correct...
please reply. It will be better if anyone can do rigorous analysis.

I am completely puzzled over VA section...I have gone through the TIME materials and m just unable to judge what 2 do and from where 2 do? Please help me how 2 tackle that area which comprises of Vocabs, Syno-anto, one word substitution, odd man out, cloze test and such things.
Do suggest me the book, if any, to start with..waiting eagerly.

Read these two articles - it should help

Words, words and more words in VA section of CAT PaGaLGuY.com - India's biggest website for MBA in India, International MBA, CAT, XAT, SNAP, MAT
Tune-in to the ' PaGaLGuY.com - India's biggest website for MBA in India, International MBA, CAT, XAT, SNAP, MAT
Say hello to English 'Walk - a - Bull - Awry' | PaGaLGuY.com - India's biggest website for MBA in India, International MBA, CAT, XAT, SNAP, MAT
  • 5 Likes  

I am completely puzzled over VA section...I have gone through the TIME materials and m just unable to judge what 2 do and from where 2 do? Please help me how 2 tackle that area which comprises of Vocabs, Syno-anto, one word substitution, odd man out, cloze test and such things.
Do suggest me the book, if any, to start with..waiting eagerly.

I want to know which is the best newspaper after "The hindu"?? Please suggest me some. I am not getting "The hindu" here. I have read "Hindustan Times" but caught some grammatical mistakes.

In some thread sum1 suggested to complete the book
Word Power Made Easy- Norman Lewis by the month of June....

So I started doing this book from dis week....

I actually want to know what is actually meant by completing the book....
are we supposed to the entire book????

There r 47 sessions in da book....i hv currently done 9....

The sessions are ok....it is possible to do all the 47.....

But after that they have given a huge list of difficult words....is it possible to remember even those???
r we supposed to do even dat????

plz help....i am vry desperate to build my vocab....

By doing two session per day on a regular basis, you will complete the book in 2 months time. This will not overburden you,make sure that u use the newly learned words in your daily conversation with friends/family etc.
Don't worry about the word-list at the end, once you finish the 47 sessions you will be quite comfortable with any new words you encounter in the list.
take the session test sincerely and mark your progress.
It is a very good book and will help you go a long way in your vocab building exercise.
ATB

In some thread sum1 suggested to complete the book
Word Power Made Easy- Norman Lewis by the month of June....

So I started doing this book from dis week....

I actually want to know what is actually meant by completing the book....
are we supposed to the entire book????

There r 47 sessions in da book....i hv currently done 9....

The sessions are ok....it is possible to do all the 47.....

But after that they have given a huge list of difficult words....is it possible to remember even those???
r we supposed to do even dat????

plz help....i am vry desperate to build my vocab....

Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school

1. What's difference btw verbal and non verbal reasoning?
2. Please suggest a book for section 1 (excluding DI,Quant) for verbal n Reading Compre. etc,,, which i can study before i get my place of deputation of TCS and join a coaching class.

CA CFA L1 and now MBA from FMS.... what next? 

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

1065 people follow this discussion.