About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Shruti George @shrutz

Tags

The PG Guide to English - All kind of questions on VA

Hey folks. 3 weeks to CAT.. VA/RC your bugbear? Ask any VA related query here... I will do my *best* to answer them I am jobless as it is :) Shrutz _Edit 1:_ No questions like what is the superlative adjunct to the simple future th...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 51 of 229   

This one was easier than the others... my answer is C as well

A paragraph is given below from which the last sentence has been deleted. From the given options, choose the one that completes the paragraph in the most appropriate way.

The recent decision of the government of India to impose a moratorium on the release of Bt-Brinjal has been hailed by civil society and scientists alike as a victory for transparency and has demonstrated that the government is responsive to societal demands. This decision is also important since it could set a precedent within environmental regulation with reference to technologies with significant environmental risks.

a This establishes a clear case for ensuring legal certainty in environmental regulations especially in the case of technologies with significant risks attached to it.
b The process of arriving at this decision had also attracted a fair share of media attention, given its sensational nature.
c However, the decision also reflects a clear departure from procedure and its legal basis is tenuous and therefore the risk of it being reversed remains.
d The world is waiting, with fingers crossed (or pointed?), as to what this decision would mean for farmers across the world.

oa is C---
  • 1 Like  
One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More

hello every1
i got the arun sharma book on va
i want 2 practice parajumbles n rc from it but some ppl advised me the entire set of arun sharma books are not good,not even close 2 cat standard.

i wanted second thoughts on it
is it not worth doing the parajumbles and rcs from it???
plz advice

6. A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off to care for their children will harm the economic competitiveness of our nations businesses. Companies must be free to set their own employment policies without mandated parental-leave regulations.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion of the argument above?

(C) Some of the countries with the most economically competitive businesses have strong parental-leave regulations.
OA is in bold!!
A law requiring companies .................. regulations.
(C) Some of the countries with the most economically competitive businesses have strong parental-leave regulations.

My take mentioned in bold.
6. A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off to care for their children will harm the economic competitiveness of our nations businesses. Companies must be free to set their own employment policies without mandated parental-leave regulations.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion of the argument above?
(A) A parental-leave law will serve to strengthen the family as a social institution in this country.
(B) Many businesses in this country already offer employees some form of parental leave.
(D) Only companies with one hundred or more employees would be subject to the proposed parental-leave law.
(E) In most polls, a majority of citizens say they favor passage of a parental-leave law.
  • 1 Like  
A paragraph is given below from which the last sentence has been deleted. From the given options, choose the one that completes the paragraph in the most appropriate way.

The recent decision of the government of India to impose a moratorium on the release of Bt-Brinjal has been hailed by civil society and scientists alike as a victory for transparency and has demonstrated that the government is responsive to societal demands. This decision is also important since it could set a precedent within environmental regulation with reference to technologies with significant environmental risks.

a This establishes a clear case for ensuring legal certainty in environmental regulations especially in the case of technologies with significant risks attached to it.
b The process of arriving at this decision had also attracted a fair share of media attention, given its sensational nature.
c However, the decision also reflects a clear departure from procedure and its legal basis is tenuous and therefore the risk of it being reversed remains.
d The world is waiting, with fingers crossed (or pointed?), as to what this decision would mean for farmers across the world.

my take in bold
IIM Udaipur 2011-13 

d The world is waiting, with fingers crossed (or pointed?), as to what this decision would mean for farmers across the world
my take in bold!!

b The process of arriving at this decision had also attracted a fair share of media attention, given its 'sensational' nature.

The ancient city of Cephesa was not buried by an eruption of Mt. Amnos in A.D. 310, as some believe. The eruption in the year 310 damaged the city, but it did not destroy it. Cephesa survived for another century before it finally met its destruction in another eruption around A.D. 415.
Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the authors claim that the city of Cephesa was not buried by the eruption of Mt. Amnos in A.D. 310?

(B) Coins bearing the image of an emperor who lived around A.D. 410 have been discovered in the ruins of Cephesa, which were preserved by the cinders and ashes that buried the city.
oa is in bold!!
  • 1 Like  

my take is option A.

manihar.sidhart Says
Try this and please explain with proper reason!!!!!

one and second statements seem to be F and J to me .. 3rd one seems to be J .. i am confused with the last statement cause it seems to be a conclusion based on the information of the website , thus making it an inference .. but the word 'might' hints at an opinion being made ..

kindly pitch in with the OA
IIM Udaipur 2011-13 
Q.10
Jnana and Bhakti are two commonly adopted spiritual paths by spiritually inclined people. The Jnani considers Bhakti to be only a means to Moksha. Bhakti leads to purification of the mind. The purified mind becomes fit to listen to Jnana which in due course of time results in Moksha. The Bhakta on the other hand is not interested in Moksha. He feels that Bhakti is the means and also the goal.
It can be inferred from the above paragraph that
a Jnanis and Bhaktas have an inherent dislike for each other.
b Jnanis and Bhaktas both strive for a pure mind.
c The Bhakta is idle most of the time as his means and goal are the same.
d The bhakta has an impure mind as he is not interested in Jnana.
e None of the above.

none of the options can be inferred
IIM Udaipur 2011-13 
Martin, a real estate consultant and Harry, a Promotional Agent are close friends. Martin helped Harry buy a property and did not charge any brokerage for the deal. In return Harry did considerable promotion for Martins firm for a year. The promotional activities undertaken by Harry for Martin ,as estimated by Harry ,costed him roughly the same as Martins brokerage. I have repaid my friend now concluded Harry.
It has been assumed by Harry that

a Martin would have forgotten about his brokerage.
b Friends need not be paid in cash.
c Martin was expecting Harry to pay his brokerage through a different means.
d Martin would have faith in Harrys estimates.
e Martins firm lacked promotion.

my take in bold .. do provide the OA
IIM Udaipur 2011-13 
What makes proteins so versatile? It is their size and shape. Protein chains are long strings with beads and pendants along the chain. They can adopt a variety of shapes when the chain folds over itself, offering a three-dimensional structure with crevices, pockets and surface patches into which other molecules can fit in, interact and do chemistry. It is this structural form that leads to function

it's true that "(C)it coordinates with other molecules" but what enables it to do so .. certainly its the structural features ..

an answer may not be incorrect as in option(c) but it just gives away to a better and stronger one i.e. option (a)
IIM Udaipur 2011-13 

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

1064 people follow this discussion.