About this discussion

Last updated

Author
@Simba

Tags

The Art of writing SOP

Hello Junta... :smiley: Hope u all had a great festival & now, its time to get back to those books!!! I have been getting a few anxious mails regarding Statement of Purpose - the hows/ the whats... Ya... have been kinda helping some ppl......
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 354 of 566   

*Scope over*

Hi Raven !

Kindly review my answers for the questions mentioned in bold letters .... I wrote them in a hurry ....

Describe what you consider to be your personal achievements so far (hobbies, extra - curricular activities can be included).

At school, as the captain of Subhash house and the vice captain of Gandhi house, I had to shoulder a multitude of responsibilities - selecting the right person for participating in the right competition, organizing morning assembly sessions, conducting rehearsals for the group events, boosting the morale of my house members etc. This experience helped me to discharge my duties satisfactorily as the head of "certificates, mementoes and valedictory function" committee during our annual inter - college cultural fest Confluence '09 and later as the event coordinator for "Ace Ventura - the B Plan Contest" in Literati '09, which is our annual techno - management fest. Apart from other things, time management was an important lesson which I learnt while playing the above mentioned leadership roles.

Participation in different elocution and extempore competition at the school level certainly went a long way in honing my communication skills in English. Reading out the news and presenting special items during the morning assemblies before the entire school helped me to overcome my fear of speaking in public. In my X standard, I won the first prizes in both English elocution and extempore competition, which played a pivotal role in making me the cultural champion of the senior section of my school for the academic year 2002 - 2003. At college, I took part in paper presentation contests and won the II and III prizes for papers on "The Kosovo Crisis" and "KPO - Will it be another BPO?".

Admissions 2015 @ Great Lakes

PGPM 2015-16

1 Year Fast Track MBA Program for experienced professionals. 

App. Deadline (Cycle 2): 24 Jan. 2015

PGDM 2015-17

2 Year MBA program for graduates with 0-2 years of experience. 

Learn More

Global Faculty and internationally benchmarked curriculum

Accredited by AMBA, UK (PGPM & PGXPM Programs)

Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in One Year MBA Programs (2014)

Ranked 10th by Business India in Top B-Schools (2014)

Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs p.a. for PGPM 2013-14 &

Avg. CTC of INR 8.07 Lakhs p.a. for PGDM 2012-14

Know More

Hi Raven !

Kindly review my answers for the questions mentioned in bold letters .... I wrote them in a hurry ....

Describe what you consider to be your professional achievements so far (final year projects, internships etc. can be included).

It is rightly said that "Experience is a man's best teacher". In spite of adequate practice, I failed to cross the 90s in my 1st two pre boards and I had almost given up the hope on securing a 95 plus score in the board exams. With only a month remaining, I was indeed in a tight situation. However, with constant encouragement from my mathematics teacher and my parents, I decided to put up a determined fight. Finally on the d - day, things went on pretty well - at least better than my pre board examinations. When the results were declared, I was overwhelmed to learn that not only had I secured 99% in my mathematics paper, but also topped my batch in the subject! This experience taught me that, in the different phases of life, to achieve something, one needs to keep on trying without giving up, come what may.

For our final year project, the three of us, as a group, wanted to work on something related to power systems. After considerable discussions with our guide and keeping in mind our interests and capabilities, we decided to study about the different causes of harmonics in power systems and their mitigation. Basically I studied the removal of harmonics by the use of active and passive filters and the enhancement of filter performance by combining the advantages of the above mentioned type of filters - in a configuration called hybrid filters. The entire process of collecting data and verifying the same by using simulation results was a knowledge enriching experience. I got hands on experience of working with PSIM (Power simulation) software. At the same time, I got to understand some topics in power electronics, like pulse width modulation techniques, in a better manner.

Hi Raven,

Here is my SOP..Please review and suggest changes(or ask me to rewrite )....

=======================================================
I believe that every individual is engineered by his surroundings. The repercussion of environment is quite evident in most of the actions and thoughts of a person. I seek an environment which will nurture my innate talents and instill the knowledge and confidence required to achieve my career goal. My career objective is to start a firm in the area of ______________.I believe strong leadership, adaptability, interpersonal skills, problem solving skills coupled with business acumen and business knowledge is required for any such initiative to succeed. I have continually excelled in positions of responsibility and have developed a knack of taking initiatives and leading a team successfully in various endeavors. Starting with leading school in republic day parade, being SCC of school, being editor of college magazine and founder editor of college wall magazine I have excelled in diverse areas. I was also convener of college annual function for two years and have taken it from a small event to a gala affair with huge budget and rock band performances. I have also been college student union president and have a lead a team of diverse group of people successfully at various occasions. My strengths and aptitude coupled with my career goal, earmark a management degree essential for me. I feel that the learning, which comes form a competitive, dynamic and fulfilling atmosphere, will enable me to take up challenges of the management field. The programme at IIT D shall not only equip me with academic resources but would also enable me to have cross-functional learning and a network of like-minded professionals. The unmatched record of your institution would certainly give me the insight , maturity and confidence required to achieve my goal.

You have good points for achievements. But all career goals and why MBA stuff is just gas. Without career goals obviously you can not relate your achievements to it.
http://luciferhouseinc.blogspot.in/
plz raven sir,plz give ur feedback,i need to get the printout done.....

hello raven sir,thanx for ur more than useful feedback on my iitd sop...........
sir ,kindly help me in putting up stuffs for VGSOM,they have asked for
1.career and personal goals.
2.professional achievement
3.personal achievement
kindly go thru my sop's for each of these categories and give valuable feedbacks,gotta finalise it within a couple of hrs.
Career and personal goals
"Dreams are not what you have when you sleep, dreams are those that don't let you sleep"-remarked Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, former Indian President,these words keep charging me up and the day is not far when i would be a name to reckon with in the marketing fraternity and would have the power,resources to make a difference in other's lives.

This is too arrogant. Say I dream of the day when I would be a a name to reckon with in the marketing fraternity and would have the power,resources to make a difference in other's lives

I have been hardworking,ambitious,passionate and a go-getter all throughout my life and loved and accepted all the leadership roles offered to me with glee,be it organizing funds for oldage welfare association,volunteering for blood donations,successfully leading a group of people in a multinational networking company for one year,organizing technical fests in college etc.

No coherence. Sudden jump from previous line with no apparent link. Also sentence is too long. Need to break it into smaller ones.

Currently working with a small scale industry as a marketing engineer,i have discovered my passion for marketing and i dream of starting up a marketing venture of my own,probably an ad making company.

Your repeating yourself

while my engineering education in electronics and telecommunion and strong analytical,reasoning skills will help me understand various technical issues behind any decision

What bullshit is this?

i might take,an MBA degree at VGSOM with its highly qualified faculty, world class infrastructure, rich intellectual environment, strong industrial linkages and reputed science and research departments, will educate me in comparative management practices and interdisciplinary entrepreneurship development, widen my horizons and augment my technical knowledge with sound knowledge of business fundamentals and a comprehensive understanding of the functioning of an organization and enable me to grow personally as well as professionally ,after which i can think of fulfilling my dream.

Most of this again means nothing. Generally wasting space

Professional Achievement
i strictly believe that a person learns more by doing than reading ie practical experience contributes to the development and refinement of an individual's theories .Internship at TATA STEEL apart from the learning experience helped me get an insight into the working of a very large and successful organization and with the right approach and proper approach and guidance i was able to complete my project.Final year projects in college apart from helping me get a technical know how of current happenings in my branch of study also taught me to work well in a team.Currently working with a small scale industry as a marketing engineer,i have discovered my passion for marketing and i dream of starting up a marketing venture of my own,probably an ad making company.while my engineering education in electronics and telecommunion and strong analytical,reasoning skills will help me understand various technical issues behind any decision i might take,an MBA degree at VGSOM with its highly qualified faculty, world class infrastructure, rich intellectual environment, strong industrial linkages and reputed science and research departments, will educate me in comparative management practices and interdisciplinary entrepreneurship development and enable me to grow personally as well as professionally and give me an insight to the working of the organization,after which i can think of fulfilling my dream.

Don't write junk here or repeat what you have already written in SOP. This is different from the SOP. Please be specific and to the point and list your achievements.

Personal achievement

i believe hobbies and extra curricular activities add an extra dimension to a person's character and persoanlity. the most noteworthy personal achievements which has really propelled my mba dreams is that i have been able to fulfill most of the leadership roles assigned to me thus far,be it organizing funds for oldage welfare association,volunteering for blood donations,successfully leading a group of people in a multinational networking company enabling them to earn money as well as hone up their communication and interpersonal skills for one year,organizing technical fests in college fulfilling all deadlines,standing up and leading people to get their basic rights fulfilled in college etc.i have also shown keen interest in participating in group and individual events in college,be it the annual oratory event "PRATIJJA" in college,paper presentations events in inter college events.i also represented my school in cricket in inter school cricket tournaments for two years.i believe the confidence gained from all these endeavours has made me ready to accept challenges and make it big in life and 5 years down the line,i see myself as a successful entrepreneur,probably owning up a ad company,as i believe marketing is my forte,who can make a difference in other lives and a mba degree at VGSOM would be an ideal place where i could learna and kickstart my dreams.

Don't repeat the same thing in all the essays. Clearly write the personal achievements. Don't write all the stuff relating to career ambition and all here.
  • 1 Like  
Hey i don't think you can say that your short term goal is to persue an MBA degree.
An MBA degree should be a means to achieve a goal.

Your lack of functional experience is very similar to the scene with me.
You can probably mention that in the short term you would like to work in say a manufacturing industry or something like that which would give you some hands on exp of the business processes.

Just a thought though.

Yup i Agree with you. I have made the changes to reflect the same.

Raven/Puys, Hope this time my SOP is ok.

----------------------------
Information technology and business are becoming inextricably interwoven. I don't think anybody can talk meaningfully about one without the talking about the other. - Bill Gates
As is evident from the words of Bill Gates above, IT has come to occupy a very important place in todays Business Environment and my goal is to build a career in this field.
I have worked in the IT Industry for 30 months. Although I am well versed with the technical side, I still am not very well versed with the functional side. This deficiency comes out especially when we are trying to understand the business requirements. This sometimes hinders me from contributing even more towards my project.
Therefore my short term goal is to widen my horizons and augment my technical knowledge with sound knowledge of business fundamentals and a comprehensive understanding of the functioning of an organization. A MBA Degree from a reputed college like VGSOM will help me in this, enabling me to contribute both at the functional level and at the technical level.
VGSOM, with its emphasis on technology driven and knowledge based industries, with its esteemed and highly qualified faculty and its strong alumni network is ideal for me as it can provide me the required expertise which can in turn propel me towards my ultimate long term goal of heading a company.

Hi Raven,

Here is my SOP..Please review and suggest changes(or ask me to rewrite )....

I believe that every individual is engineered by his surroundings. The repercussion of environment is quite evident in most of the actions and thoughts of a person. I seek an environment which will nurture my innate talents and instill the knowledge and confidence required to achieve my career goal. My career objective is to start a firm in the area of ______________.I believe strong leadership, adaptability, interpersonal skills, problem solving skills coupled with business acumen and business knowledge is required for any such initiative to succeed. I have continually excelled in positions of responsibility and have developed a knack of taking initiatives and leading a team successfully in various endeavors. Starting with leading school in republic day parade, being SCC of school, being editor of college magazine and founder editor of college wall magazine I have excelled in diverse areas. I was also convener of college annual function for two years and have taken it from a small event to a gala affair with huge budget and rock band performances. I have also been college student union president and have a lead a team of diverse group of people successfully at various occasions. My strengths and aptitude coupled with my career goal, earmark a management degree essential for me. I feel that the learning, which comes form a competitive, dynamic and fulfilling atmosphere, will enable me to take up challenges of the management field. The programme at IIT D shall not only equip me with academic resources but would also enable me to have cross-functional learning and a network of like-minded professionals. The unmatched record of your institution would certainly give me the insight , maturity and confidence required to achieve my goal.

plz raven sir,plz give ur feedback,i need to get the printout done.....

hello raven sir,thanx for ur more than useful feedback on my iitd sop...........
3.personal achievement
kindly go thru my sop's for each of these categories and give valuable feedbacks,gotta finalise it within a couple of hrs.
"Dreams are not what you have when you sleep, dreams are those that don't let you sleep"-remarked Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, former Indian President,these words keep charging me up and the day is not far when i would be a name to reckon with in the marketing fraternity and would have the power,resources to make a difference in other's lives.I have been hardworking,ambitious,passionate and a go-getter all throughout my life and loved and accepted all the leadership roles offered to me with glee,be it organizing funds for oldage welfare association,volunteering for blood donations,successfully leading a group of people in a multinational networking company for one year,organizing technical fests in college etc.Currently working with a small scale industry as a marketing engineer,i have discovered my passion for marketing and i dream of starting up a marketing venture of my own,probably an ad making company.while my engineering education in electronics and telecommunion and strong analytical,reasoning skills will help me understand various technical issues behind any decision i might take,an MBA degree at VGSOM with its highly qualified faculty, world class infrastructure, rich intellectual environment, strong industrial linkages and reputed science and research departments, will educate me in comparative management practices and interdisciplinary entrepreneurship development, widen my horizons and augment my technical knowledge with sound knowledge of business fundamentals and a comprehensive understanding of the functioning of an organization and enable me to grow personally as well as professionally ,after which i can think of fulfilling my dream.

Professional Achievement
i strictly believe that a person learns more by doing than reading ie practical experience contributes to the development and refinement of an individual's theories .Internship at TATA STEEL apart from the learning experience helped me get an insight into the working of a very large and successful organization and with the right approach and proper approach and guidance i was able to complete my project.Final year projects in college apart from helping me get a technical know how of current happenings in my branch of study also taught me to work well in a team.Currently working with a small scale industry as a marketing engineer,i have discovered my passion for marketing and i dream of starting up a marketing venture of my own,probably an ad making company.while my engineering education in electronics and telecommunion and strong analytical,reasoning skills will help me understand various technical issues behind any decision i might take,an MBA degree at VGSOM with its highly qualified faculty, world class infrastructure, rich intellectual environment, strong industrial linkages and reputed science and research departments, will educate me in comparative management practices and interdisciplinary entrepreneurship development and enable me to grow personally as well as professionally and give me an insight to the working of the organization,after which i can think of fulfilling my dream.

Personal achievement

i believe hobbies and extra curricular activities add an extra dimension to a person's character and persoanlity. the most noteworthy personal achievements which has really propelled my mba dreams is that i have been able to fulfill most of the leadership roles assigned to me thus far,be it organizing funds for oldage welfare association,volunteering for blood donations,successfully leading a group of people in a multinational networking company enabling them to earn money as well as hone up their communication and interpersonal skills for one year,organizing technical fests in college fulfilling all deadlines,standing up and leading people to get their basic rights fulfilled in college etc.i have also shown keen interest in participating in group and individual events in college,be it the annual oratory event "PRATIJJA" in college,paper presentations events in inter college events.i also represented my school in cricket in inter school cricket tournaments for two years.i believe the confidence gained from all these endeavours has made me ready to accept challenges and make it big in life and 5 years down the line,i see myself as a successful entrepreneur,probably owning up a ad company,as i believe marketing is my forte,who can make a difference in other lives and a mba degree at VGSOM would be an ideal place where i could learna and kickstart my dreams.

Here goes my second draft..need inputs Raven Sir..

"Education is not only a means for self advancement but also a potent tool that can help transform the society."
One can't agree more with the candour of this adage. I hail from Jharkhand and have witnessed the penury that plagues the mineral rich state. The supply chain and the delivery mechanism of the public amenities are forlorn and so is the situation with the most NGOs here. Hence my long term goal is to establish an NGO to help benefit the poor in the remotest of areas. The purpose would be to spread awareness about education and literacy and I intend to augment it with innovative models like Public-Private Partnership. This would require a profound understanding of business and finance coupled with deep rooted sympathy for the relation between the society and its have-nots. Born to a teacher, I am endowed with appreciation for the latter but I am still unbaked on the former count which requires deep understanding of business fundamentals. It is with this intention that I apply for this programme.
I have a decent academic background in engineering where I got an opportunity to work with the Indian Army on a research project that has bestowed me with tenacity and resilience to undergo the rigour of an MBA course. I also indulged myself in activities like debating and emceeing that have added a lot of value to my communication skills. I have won national debate competitions at IIIT and NIFT Hyderabad. I have been involved in the conduct of on campus fest Icknighted as a core control committee member and was a founder member of SUN CLUB, and on both occasions, I found myself discovering latent managerial ability in me. I graduated with the highest CGPA in my batch, which is a testimony to the analytical skills that I acquired in the process. It is my conviction that such credentials stand me in good stead when applying to this programme.
The MBA course at DoMS@IITM is very exacting in its own right. The Department has strong faculty base, with active research involvement. It has a diverse batch with people from different backgrounds contributing to peer-to-peer learning. It provides a holistic ambience for understanding modern day business nuances, practices and application which are imperative to my long term goal of setting up an NGO in my home state. As a part of a world class technology school, it offers limitless possibilities for corporate networking and innovation. Henceforth, it can provide me with a befitting launch pad for a career which will season me for the arduous task that I envision for myself. Hence, the course here blends seamlessly with my long term and short term goals. I would be proud to be associated with the department and with the skills that I have honed over a period of time, I hope to contribute to the fruitfully to the positivity there. After all, it is in the larger good where lies the individual growth.

It is good. Just one feedback though. You have tried to point all your achievements and experiences as useful in performing well in MBA. It would have been nice if you had aligned them more towards achievement of your long term goal as well.

P.S Just see if you can do it without disturbing the coherence though. It is flowing nicely. If you don't have the enthu, you can leave it as it is also.
  • 2 Likes  

Here goes my second draft..need inputs Raven Sir..

Education is not only a means for self advancement but also a potent tool that can help transform the society.
One cant agree more with the candour of this adage. I hail from Jharkhand and have witnessed the penury that plagues the mineral rich state. The supply chain and the delivery mechanism of the public amenities are forlorn and so is the situation with the most NGOs here. Hence my long term goal is to establish an NGO to help benefit the poor in the remotest of areas. The purpose would be to spread awareness about education and literacy and I intend to augment it with innovative models like Public-Private Partnership. This would require a profound understanding of business and finance coupled with deep rooted sympathy for the relation between the society and its have-nots. Born to a teacher, I am endowed with appreciation for the latter but I am still unbaked on the former count which requires deep understanding of business fundamentals. It is with this intention that I apply for this programme.
I have a decent academic background in engineering where I got an opportunity to work with the Indian Army on a research project that has bestowed me with tenacity and resilience to undergo the rigour of an MBA course. I also indulged myself in activities like debating and emceeing that have added a lot of value to my communication skills. I have won national debate competitions at IIIT and NIFT Hyderabad. I have been involved in the conduct of on campus fest Icknighted as a core control committee member and was a founder member of SUN CLUB, and on both occasions, I found myself discovering latent managerial ability in me. I graduated with the highest CGPA in my batch, which is a testimony to the analytical skills that I acquired in the process. It is my conviction that such credentials stand me in good stead when applying to this programme.
The MBA course at DoMS@IITM is very exacting in its own right. The Department has strong faculty base, with active research involvement. It has a diverse batch with people from different backgrounds contributing to peer-to-peer learning. It provides a holistic ambience for understanding modern day business nuances, practices and application which are imperative to my long term goal of setting up an NGO in my home state. As a part of a world class technology school, it offers limitless possibilities for corporate networking and innovation. Henceforth, it can provide me with a befitting launch pad for a career which will season me for the arduous task that I envision for myself. Hence, the course here blends seamlessly with my long term and short term goals. I would be proud to be associated with the department and with the skills that I have honed over a period of time, I hope to contribute to the fruitfully to the positivity there. After all, it is in the larger good where lies the individual growth.

hi this is close to my last draft for IITD.please point out the flaws so that i can work it out by tonite.i am submitting form tomorrow.running out of time

I strongly feel that technical and management aspects within an organization go hand in hand .With technical background in software engineering, I feel that a management degree will provide the perfect blend of strategy and logic. I have managed events at my college's cultural fest in the past and am no stranger to shouldering responsibility. I have also designed a website for the Town and Country Planning Organization (TCPO) on behalf of NIC.
Even the purest of diamonds needs to be cut and polished before it shines .Thus, honing my creative, strategic and analytical abilities at IIT-D will help me in realizing my long term aim to become a successful entrepreneur. I want to start my own firm here in India ( the land of opportunities) and see it reach global heights . I want to sail like Columbus into the unchartered waters of commercial business and be a pioneer in my field. Studying at IIT, Delhi One of the prime institutes with world-class infrastructure, highly experienced faculty and excellent management research base will give my career the impetus it needs.

3.personal achievement
"Dreams are not what you have when you sleep, dreams are those that don't let you sleep"-remarked Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, former Indian President,these words keep charging me up and the day is not far when i would be a name to reckon with in the marketing fraternity and would have the power,resources to make a difference in other's lives.I have been hardworking,ambitious,passionate and a go-getter all throughout my life and loved and accepted all the leadership roles offered to me with glee,be it organizing funds for oldage welfare association,volunteering for blood donations,successfully leading a group of people in a multinational networking company for one year,organizing technical fests in college etc.Currently working with a small scale industry as a marketing engineer,i have discovered my passion for marketing and i dream of starting up a marketing venture of my own,probably an ad making company.while my engineering education in electronics and telecommunion and strong analytical,reasoning skills will help me understand various technical issues behind any decision i might take,an MBA degree at VGSOM with its highly qualified faculty, world class infrastructure, rich intellectual environment, strong industrial linkages and reputed science and research departments, will educate me in comparative management practices and interdisciplinary entrepreneurship development, widen my horizons and augment my technical knowledge with sound knowledge of business fundamentals and a comprehensive understanding of the functioning of an organization and enable me to grow personally as well as professionally ,after which i can think of fulfilling my dream.

Professional Achievement

Personal achievement

waiting for ur feedback asap

i am 2009 passed out and i do not have work ex what can i write about proffesional achievements .Can i write abt paper presentations ,sadly i cannot write abt my project because i failed in it first time.please help,

apzz87 Says
sir plzz read my SOP and suggest me any changes which i shoud make....thanks

Same thing what I had suggested to the earlier person. Read my tips on writing SOP on page 315. Current SOP is totally unsatisfactory in all respects. That is the reason I did not review your SOP earlier.

sir plzz read my SOP and suggest me any changes which i shoud make....thanks

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

11826 people follow this discussion.
Events in CAT