About this discussion

Last updated

Author
@Simba

Tags

The Art of writing SOP

Hello Junta... :smiley: Hope u all had a great festival & now, its time to get back to those books!!! I have been getting a few anxious mails regarding Statement of Purpose - the hows/ the whats... Ya... have been kinda helping some ppl......
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 354 of 856   
harry4u9 Says
The bluntest thing i can tell u is that it is so disjointed thats it looks like a jumbled puzzle.....no connection between lines, no flow & no...nothing. IOn 2 words Very shoddy It can be done much better pls work on it

that bold thing was for the practicality.
thanks for your views.150 word limit really sucks.
With the above content,would it be possible for you to help me with the restructing of the words?
All your help is much appreciated.
rgds,

The bluntest thing i can tell u is that it is so disjointed thats it looks like a jumbled puzzle.....no connection between lines, no flow & no...nothing. IOn 2 words Very shoddy It can be done much better pls work on it

please be as blunt as possible.

SOP for IIT D(150 words limit)

I strongly believe in perseverance,sincerity and practicality,whereby(why is this here) my achievements are a result of well-directed efforts.
I have a long term goal of serving at the top of the corporate hierarchy. Due to my excellent performance in various examinations(some international) and a leadership position as the head-boy,I was awarded the Britannia Star Champ trophy in school.
With some entrepreneurial experience,a managerial position,prizes in Model United Nations and publication of an international research I graduated from the prestigious XXX in the recessionary 2009.
With a goal of gaining a good working experience,I took up the on campus job offer from .
This gave me the opportunity to interact with Investors and gain basic financial knowledge in .
Simultaneously,I also cleared CFA L1 and FRM L1 exams.
I am confident that an MBA from the prestigious DMS IITD would help me gain superior business management and leadership skills and help me direct my efforts towards my long term goal.
  • 2 Likes  
Everything seems impossible till its done--Nelson Mandela https://www.facebook.com/pages/Xpressionism/238984152788657

please be as blunt as possible.

SOP for IIT D(150 words limit)

I strongly believe in perseverance,sincerity and practicality,whereby my achievements are a result of well-directed efforts.
I have a long term goal of serving at the top of the corporate hierarchy. Due to my excellent performance in various examinations(some international) and a leadership position as the head-boy,I was awarded the Britannia Star Champ trophy in school.
With some entrepreneurial experience,a managerial position,prizes in Model United Nations and publication of an international research I graduated from the prestigious XXX in the recessionary 2009.
With a goal of gaining a good working experience,I took up the on campus job offer from .
This gave me the opportunity to interact with Investors and gain basic financial knowledge in .
Simultaneously,I also cleared CFA L1 and FRM L1 exams.
I am confident that an MBA from the prestigious DMS IITD would help me gain superior business management and leadership skills and help me direct my efforts towards my long term goal.

Hi harry, i am a b.tech 2010 passout with no job . I had prepared for mba entrance exams after my engineering and am applying to scmhrd where i need to write few para regarding my candidature. I would like to ask you about - how to justify my gap after engg. that too without a job ....will it give a negative impression on the interviewer?

The hunter here to be hunted!!!!
Anyways my views...

The hunter wants to be shown as a mere mortal

On a serious note i was quiet proud of this SOP , took me 20 revisions and 2 weeks to write.

I guess my creativity gets my heart closer to marketing and the structured thinking and communication skills give me a way to push the message across :biggrin:

Last line was forced addition to show the enthusiasm. I guess if you check the the thread where am most active, you will realise :drinking:

With words left and not enough to write anything more important, this was the best I could do

Cheers :cheerio:
thou shalt not give up  

The hunter here to be hunted!!!!
Anyways my views...

pls evaluate this,

word limit 100

My thoughts bound by strings and poetry gives them wings

Expressing thoughts through poetry is my passion. I got hooked to it many years ago, and the love has been enduring.

Introspecting career options, I realized that my love for poetry has given me a great sense of creativity, innovation, structured thinking and unique set of communication skills. This brings me close, by heart and mind, to a career in marketing.(not clear how????) The expert pedagogy of XXXX, coupled with unique cultural sensitivity, interactions with industry players, and participation in live projects would stimulate my learning and hone my skills, which in turn help me achieve a great career. Henceforth, looking forward to be onboard!(is this reqd!!!!)
  • 1 Like  
Everything seems impossible till its done--Nelson Mandela https://www.facebook.com/pages/Xpressionism/238984152788657

pls evaluate this,

word limit 100

"My thoughts bound by strings and poetry gives them wings"

Expressing thoughts through poetry is my passion. I got hooked to it many years ago, and the love has been enduring.

Introspecting career options, I realized that my love for poetry has given me a great sense of creativity, innovation, structured thinking and unique set of communication skills. This brings me close, by heart and mind, to a career in marketing. The expert pedagogy of XXXX, coupled with unique cultural sensitivity, interactions with industry players, and participation in live projects would stimulate my learning and hone my skills, which in turn help me achieve a great career. Henceforth, looking forward to be onboard!

thou shalt not give up  

thnx dude... would come up wid sumthing better soon..

What exactly is this????? if this is the SOP u want to present them then kiss ur dream of studyin there good bye.....coz one it looks like an essay on investment banking & Problems of the world & then ur long term goal is not at all clear.....Strong enough?????? ---do u need an answer to that

GUYS how is this?? strong enuff??

What are your short-term and long-term post-MBA goals? How will Columbia Business School help you achieve these goals? (Recommended 750 word limit)

Having worked in a plant since 2007, I feel it is now time to shift from managing men to managing wealth. Investment Banking is an ever growing field, the need for managing and creating wealth being more acute than ever, both from the perspective of an individual and the organisation one works for. My short term goals hence are to carve out a career in the field of investment banking, which helps me financially and also from the point view of success. Investment banking over the past 80 years has been a proven and certain avenue of wealth creation and has fuelled the growth and prosperity of not only the United States but almost all the democratic nations around the globe. Even certain prominent non-democratic nations strive hard for the creation of a healthy stock and investment banking market, which generates not only wealth and investment for a nation but also breeds much vaunted trust that attracts further wealth. It is a tribute to the edifice of investment banking and financial market that the drive, ingenuity and enthusiasm of pioneering individuals has built in New York, that even in times of dire recession around the world (where even developed nations have to think of cutting aid to basic welfare measures like maternity care) US has borne the recession better thanks to the inherent strength of its markets.

It is in this strong market that I want to make my bones as an investment banker. In the short term, my goal is to work and create wealth as an investment banker for the firm I work in. The education that Columbia Business School shall impart to me would be the core strength foundation upon which experience in working in an investment banking firm can thrive. It is quite certain that education at Columbia Business School and the close Alumni network can give one a great chance to succeed in an Investment banking firm. This is the most important reason why Columbia Business School shall be ideal for me to pursue my career as in an investment banking firm.

The world today faces a lot of challenges going in to next century. The problems of a burgeoning population, depleting energy reserves and climate change are just a few to name in a lengthy list that also included terrorism, nuclear war and water wars. Depleting energy reserves and food production shall pose a serious question coupled with effects of climate change. In this scenario if survival is to be ensured, rapid investment in technological research in the spheres of alternative energy and food production shall have to be made. Having seen poverty at near close quarters, it is my utmost responsibility as a human to try and ensure that lesser and lesser people have to deal with it. Investment in technology is very important and hence the first mover would always have a huge market. It is my long term goal to lead investment in food and energy technology that make future less bleak and that also opens up a new market for creation of wealth. While it can be said that investment in technology may be the work of governments or MNCs but no other place than a financial market offers limitless money to make good such levels of investment required. Investment in technology has always proven successful when made on a large enough scale in the past and the same is now required. With an education at Columbia, and sufficient experience in an investment banking firm, a push for investment in technology would be easy and meaningful for me.

My long term aim hence is to be at the forefront of investment in technology that is not the latest gizmo to storm the markets, but that which presents the world with solutions to the various problems that are now besetting it. It may appear that investment banking has nothing to do with investment in research/technology, but a mixture of investment in technology and in other regular financial instruments together is not new. Already firms like Berkshire Hathaway have a varied range of investments in diverse fields. Education at Columbia as I believe strengthens the entrepreneurial qualities of a student, something which shall be required in abundance for spearheading investment in new fields.

Education at Columbia is very critical to the furtherance of my aims and I believe with the learning I would gain, my performance post MBA would be worthy of an alumni from Columbia Business School.
  • 1 Like  

Yup u r correct evaluate ur word limit & then implement the changes i told u it may involve rewriting some lines or adding new lines

@harry4u,
As you said my flow of SOP is
Why MBA for me ? (First para)
Why me? (second para i.e Supported with academics & leadership skills)
Why me ?(third para i.e Supported with professional achievements)
Why MBA for me?(last para ....For achieving my career goals, I need to strengthen my graduate degree with a formal management education. This will allow me to enter the corporate world fully equipped with all theoretical and practical skills, which will aid me in facing complex business environment with confidence. With cutting edge management theories and practices, esteemed faculty and latest technologies IIT Delhi is my natural choice. I am sure that the skills from IIT-Delhi and the experiences as a student as well as an employee would sculpt me into a successful Manager.)

Please correct me if am wrong some where in the above analysis.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

41741 people follow this discussion.