About this discussion

Last updated

Author
@Simba

Tags

The Art of writing SOP

Hello Junta... :smiley: Hope u all had a great festival & now, its time to get back to those books!!! I have been getting a few anxious mails regarding Statement of Purpose - the hows/ the whats... Ya... have been kinda helping some ppl......
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 354 of 567   

Hi Raven,Bharat..Please review my SOP too..

Muhammad Ali said, Champions arent made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.

I believe that the first step for realizing my dream of becoming an entrepreneur is a comprehensive understanding of the intricacies of business fundamentals and the functioning of an organization. My long term goal is to head a business organization in 10 years time. I believe that to achieve that goal, I require a professional degree in management which shall hone my managerial skills and also develop the requisite qualities of being a manager and help me grow not only as an individual but also professionally.

I believe my biggest strength is my perseverance, no matter what life brings me I keep on going. My perseverant and self-motivated attitude has always placed me among the toppers throughout my school life. At college also, I tried to improve myself constantly and was always among the top ten percent students of the class.

VGSOM offers unique programmes blending management and technology that would develop managers who would be able to understand and appreciate both the critical technology issues and their management implications. I feel that: the difference is due to the people. The rigorous induction procedure at IIT-kharagpur ensures that. I hope to learn from the vast community of teachers, students and alumni of the institute. It would help me interact with and learn from people of varied backgrounds. The two year experience with the best minds of the country along with the chance to learn from the largest variety of elective courses would mould me into a successful manager for tomorrows needs.

Career and personal goal-- VGSOM

We have technology, finally, that for the first time in human history allows people to really maintain rich connections with much larger numbers of people.
Pierre Omidyar, founder/chairman of the eBay

I want to design a carrier that combines my long term interest in general management with the experience in Information Technology that I acquired in my stint with Infosys Technologies Ltd. As an engineering grad, I became fascinated with technology. Later, as an Infoscion, I learned the actual impact of IT on business and how each step taken by IT is a way to enhance the value for its client and their businesses. Thus, to gain the expertise in my domain I have completed FLMA certification for the insurance. This has been my driving motto and thus I feel "IT is a way of implementing Business".
In today's highly competitive economic environment having the right IT in business is a critical element of success. All businesses deal with some of the new technology whether it is just a basic computer system or highly sophisticated software to track sales from the time the initial contact is made until they close. I believe in the days to come, IT would no longer be an issue that can be left to the technical experts in IT function. IT shall be managed by general managers - at all levels including the most senior. There would be more virtual organizations (Based on partnership, collaboration and networking rather than a formal structure of directly employed people) on the likes of Benetton, Telephone Banking and Insurance.
My goal is to join as a consultant in an IT company in order to help client find real and lasting solutions to problems by providing new information and advice. My dream is to make organizations become better by challenging them and persuading them to adopt new ideas.
To successfully make this career transition, I cannot rely on my present work experience alone. Although I have been a successful leader, I need to learn the language of business. I need to gain the general management perspective of someone who has to build relationships with clients, understand the financial implications of business, understand the sales strategy and closely follow the pricing strategy. I need to learn, in a structured academic setting, to work with people to solve business problems. In short, I need an MBA.

VGSOM is the ideal place for me to learn what I need to know to begin my new career. The schools MBA curriculum amalgamated with its technological focus perfectly complements my goal.

Please review this.
Your Gateway to Global Leadership

-Full time post graduate program in business

-Faculty from SDA Bocconi, Italy

-Dual Campus Mumbai and Milan

-2014 Avg. CTC 10 Lakh p.a - Merit based tuition waiver

Apply Now

To know our placement statistics download the brochure.

Download Now
Hi Raven,
This is my first ever SOP and I have almost spent 3.5 - 4 hours :shock:for this SOP given below. I have mentioned all my accomplishments,roles & responsibilities i've made/taken so far.
This one has a word limit of 150. I need to send it tomorrow.
Kindly have a look at this and review it.
A strong foundation increases the value of everything you do goes the saying. I realized the saying when I was appreciated by the major aerospace manufacturer The Boeing Company quoting Invaluable contribution. While looking back at my foundation : A Consistent academic performer, department placement coordinator in my college, co-screenplay writer-actor in inter college SKIT competitions, striker of TCS Chennais football team, co-editor of TCSs vertical level magazine, Six sigma process coordinator in my project acknowledges my drive to excel in whatever I do. These multifarious experiences have not only provided me with a rich exposure of team skills but also the tenacity to take up leadership roles and learn something new. As a person aiming to own a marketing company this is the time to stream line my potentials and hone my skills. I am sure Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi One of the pioneering institutes in the nation will strengthen my astute thinking and strong analytical abilities to realize all my managerial aspirations.
P.S : I feel i need to put it more info abt my goal and why i seek MBA degree. But still i can't take away with the accomplishments/roles from my sop. If i do so my word limit may exceed. Let me know if this is fine or should i add/delete any info. Any comments / reviews would be of great help.. Also chk for grammar.

Awaiting for your reply...

Thanks in advance...

Please review/advise on my SOP for IITD

My long term career goal is to hold an executive position in a high grown socially responsible company with strong technical focus.

During my work tenure I had a hands on experience of corporate world. I learnt that professional life is application of structured thinking to deal with unstructured situations and therefore any organization needs a strong technical foundation and enterprising management to lead it. A formal education in MBA will thus provide me with deep insight into the dynamics of the business environment and lay the foundations of a successful career. It will help me to comprehend the decision making and planning process of an organization and equip me with skill sets to leverage my knowledge base.

I reckon the importance of continuous learning as well as delivering excellent results. I pursued engineering in computer science at graduation to attain technical cognizance. Throughout school and college I have equally focused on my academics and on co curricular activities like debates, extempore, quizzes and sports. Being the Secretary of the college I had the opportunity of organizing various events which gave me a first hand experience of management. All this has developed in me a broad vision and innovative thinking that is essential for any growth process. Continuous effort to excel in academics and extra curricular activities has trained me to plan and implement strategies and skill of multi tasking.

I believe that a blend of both my present skills and management education at DMS will assure the best use of the opportunities on the path towards my goal. The strong industry interface and research activities at DMS ensure continuous exposure to corporate world and application of the acquired skills. Also the strategic location of DMS in the country's capital and IIT campus promises a great learning experience.

Hi Raven Sir,

Please review my SOP. It is for IIT Delhi.

It was in the last year of engineering when I had my tryst with management study for the first time. Although I was involved in lot of event-management activities, I had never dealt with monetary aspects of an event. I have a flair for dramatics and theatre. I blended this with the event management skills and took an initiative to organize "Halla Bol", which was a grand success at national level. The success of it gave me immense confidence as I had taken pro-active approach to motivate the organizers and played the leader's role. Hence, I have developed an inclination towards management education and I firmly believe that analytical skills and team-building skills which I acquired during engineering will always be helpful. IIT is a name which reflects splendour through skill development and excellent academics. It would be a privilege to pursue management education from IITD where I can nurture and hone my attainments.

Thanks

raven sir please review my SOP ..(ask me to rewrite if its still not up to d mark)....thanks

A strong passion for any object will ensure success, for the desire of the end will point out the means William Hazllit

These words by William hazllit really inspire me. I think I have the passion to succeed and to move ahead in life. I can really work hard to obtain whatever I need in life in this competitive world there is a dearth of ambitious people but what make me stand out is my determination to work hard and the ability to stay focused towards my ultimate goal. My goal in life is not just to succeed in life but to become a person who made a difference.I am deeply moved by how still in this age of globalization, people in our country are still living in such extreme indigence. I wish to work for these people , I dream to improve this status quo by working for this cause at the national level.I do not claim that I can wipe this out. But certainly I can do the best I can for these underprivileged and downtrodden people..

However A dream becomes a goal only when action is taken toward its achievement.To attain this objective, I need to have enough resources , diverse range of skill sets and the required expertise. The four year span of my engineering has helped me to learn some of the required skills . some of my achievements such as those mentioned below suggest that I innately poses some of the required skills (analytical ability and leadership quality) .like, I was ranked amongst the top 1% students who cleared a national aptitude test conducted by NIIT. I have led various organizing committees at the college level. I was also elected the joint treasurer of communiqu, a students society of electronics and comm. dept. After having worked in such organizing committees at various levels, I have now realized that a professional course in management is must to attain my the long term goal of my life

I think an MBA degree from a reputed institute will offer me with both , resources and expertise .Therefore My immediate short term goal is to first get admission into a very reputed institute. A professional training in the field of management, from such a institute will help me to learn the nuances in this field at same time it will help me to gain a fast-track entry into business and corporate management. where I can get a firsthand experience of dynamic business environment. .IITs have always been synonymous with excellence. Looking at the glorious past of IIT-M , I think this is the place where I should pursue my management course from. Pursuing my MBA from IIT-M will help me enhance n hone my capabilities while competing with some of the best brains in India And I am sure that with its excellent infrastructure and experienced faculty I will be able to attain all the skill sets required to achieve my objective in life.

Hi Raven, Bharat

Please review my SOP for IIT KGP.Is it OK or shall i modify it.
There are 3 sections:

1. CAREER AND PERSONAL GOALS:
2. PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENT
3. PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENT

CAREER AND PERSONAL GOALS:

"Arise! Awake! And stop not till the goal is reached" --Swami Vivekanand
This has been my guiding principle since childhood days. It has been a long journey since my father had schizophrenia\depression and the responsibility of my parents and two younger brothers came upon me while i was in the 9th grade. I struggled a lot in arranging finances and good education for myself and two younger brothers. But every step was a learning experience and finally I got admission in engineering.

During engineering, organizing and participating in seminars and national level paper presentations taught me time and people management and how to market ideas to sponsers. Since my engineering days, i have dreamt of having my own company. To get industry experience, I joined WIPRO,where in Three and half years I learnt the nuances of resource management, effective communication with clients, and also some of the business aspects. It has been an excellent learning experience but i realised there are many other skills which are needed before I take the entrepreneurial path. Getting an MBA education is the next step towards achieving my goal.
IIT KGP is one of the oldest institutes in the country which has a great industry interaction, highly experienced faculty and excellent management research base. The unique teaching approach at IIT KGP with emphasis on concepts, excellence, leadership and innovation, will definitely help me in fulfilling my dreams.

PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENT:

Working at HAL,Bangalore, during Final year project taught me time management, team work, staying focused against all odds and unity in diversity. I got the opportunity to work with very talented people coming from different parts of India. Initially, we struggled a lot in achieving the targets but with continued focus and determination we succeeded in finishing the project before timeline. It was an excellent learning experience.
Three and half years in WIPRO has taught me resource management, client interactions, working in a team for achieving common goals and business aspect of the software industry. It provided me the opportunity to handle a small module team and to mentor the team members and synchronise it effectively with other module teams to achieve the shared and common objectives. I also received award for my contribution in the project. It has given me a great learning opportunity in achieving my entrepreneurial dream of starting a company.

PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENT:

It has been a long journey since my father had depression\schizophrenia and the responsibility of whole family came upon me while i was in the 9th grade. I struggled a lot in arranging finances and good education for myself and two younger brothers .But each step was a learning experience. I got admission in engineering. I also took care that my brothers get good education despite all difficulties. Currently my younger brother is doing MBA while the youngest is pursuing engineering. Personally it is very satisfying to see my family and brothers live a normal life once again.
My hobbies are current affairs, geography and history of various countries and its people, helping others in resolving their problems, writing poetry, reading novels and wikipedia. I also work with an NGO, in providing education to students of economically weaker class .

Thanks a lot.

MY SOP FOR IITM

A dream becomes a goal when action is taken toward its achievement. My dream is to one day start a IT consulting firm and an MBA from DoMS IIT Madras will help me a great deal to turn it into an achievable goal. It is not a childhood dream but one that has developed gradually. My Bachelors in Information Technology was a prime factor by which i realised my dream. I have studied a vast array of subjects during the course of my Undergraduate degree ranging from Mathematics,Programming Languages,Computer Architecture and Software Development. The one subject which gave me a major push towards pursuing my dream was Management Information Systems. I not only found the subject interesting and enjoyed it but also found myself doing pretty well in it. This fired up in me a desire to set up an IT consulting firm. I have much to learn before i realise the dream and the beginning would be to pursue an MBA from DoMS IIT Madras. I wish to then take up a job in an IT firm to enhance my skills and learn the working of the company.This would give me valuable insight into starting my own firm.

I believe i have a good blend of academic and extra curricular skills to aid my ambition of pursuing an MBA.I'm in my final year of engineering(I.T) and i have developed the technical knowledge as well as analytical and reasoning skills required for a good manager . I have been a consistently good student right from my school days till my undergraduate degree. I have participated and also won in many national level General Knowledge quizzes at the college level both individual and as part of a team.

My interpersonal skills and aptitude for teamwork coupled with my career goal earmark management as the ideal option for me. I intend to hone my managerial skills through the practical and application oriented approach adopted at IIT madras, which, with its world wide affiliations,top-class courses,infrastructure, resources and eclectic student community,would provide me the requisite platform to attain my goals in the corporate world.

Waiting for review/advice.

*Scope over*

Hi Raven !

Kindly review my answers for the questions mentioned in bold letters .... I wrote them in a hurry ....

Describe what you consider to be your personal achievements so far (hobbies, extra - curricular activities can be included).

At school, as the captain of Subhash house and the vice captain of Gandhi house, I had to shoulder a multitude of responsibilities - selecting the right person for participating in the right competition, organizing morning assembly sessions, conducting rehearsals for the group events, boosting the morale of my house members etc. This experience helped me to discharge my duties satisfactorily as the head of "certificates, mementoes and valedictory function" committee during our annual inter - college cultural fest Confluence '09 and later as the event coordinator for "Ace Ventura - the B Plan Contest" in Literati '09, which is our annual techno - management fest. Apart from other things, time management was an important lesson which I learnt while playing the above mentioned leadership roles.

Participation in different elocution and extempore competition at the school level certainly went a long way in honing my communication skills in English. Reading out the news and presenting special items during the morning assemblies before the entire school helped me to overcome my fear of speaking in public. In my X standard, I won the first prizes in both English elocution and extempore competition, which played a pivotal role in making me the cultural champion of the senior section of my school for the academic year 2002 - 2003. At college, I took part in paper presentation contests and won the II and III prizes for papers on "The Kosovo Crisis" and "KPO - Will it be another BPO?".

Hi Raven !

Kindly review my answers for the questions mentioned in bold letters .... I wrote them in a hurry ....

Describe what you consider to be your professional achievements so far (final year projects, internships etc. can be included).

It is rightly said that "Experience is a man's best teacher". In spite of adequate practice, I failed to cross the 90s in my 1st two pre boards and I had almost given up the hope on securing a 95 plus score in the board exams. With only a month remaining, I was indeed in a tight situation. However, with constant encouragement from my mathematics teacher and my parents, I decided to put up a determined fight. Finally on the d - day, things went on pretty well - at least better than my pre board examinations. When the results were declared, I was overwhelmed to learn that not only had I secured 99% in my mathematics paper, but also topped my batch in the subject! This experience taught me that, in the different phases of life, to achieve something, one needs to keep on trying without giving up, come what may.

For our final year project, the three of us, as a group, wanted to work on something related to power systems. After considerable discussions with our guide and keeping in mind our interests and capabilities, we decided to study about the different causes of harmonics in power systems and their mitigation. Basically I studied the removal of harmonics by the use of active and passive filters and the enhancement of filter performance by combining the advantages of the above mentioned type of filters - in a configuration called hybrid filters. The entire process of collecting data and verifying the same by using simulation results was a knowledge enriching experience. I got hands on experience of working with PSIM (Power simulation) software. At the same time, I got to understand some topics in power electronics, like pulse width modulation techniques, in a better manner.

Hi Raven,

Here is my SOP..Please review and suggest changes(or ask me to rewrite )....

=======================================================
I believe that every individual is engineered by his surroundings. The repercussion of environment is quite evident in most of the actions and thoughts of a person. I seek an environment which will nurture my innate talents and instill the knowledge and confidence required to achieve my career goal. My career objective is to start a firm in the area of ______________.I believe strong leadership, adaptability, interpersonal skills, problem solving skills coupled with business acumen and business knowledge is required for any such initiative to succeed. I have continually excelled in positions of responsibility and have developed a knack of taking initiatives and leading a team successfully in various endeavors. Starting with leading school in republic day parade, being SCC of school, being editor of college magazine and founder editor of college wall magazine I have excelled in diverse areas. I was also convener of college annual function for two years and have taken it from a small event to a gala affair with huge budget and rock band performances. I have also been college student union president and have a lead a team of diverse group of people successfully at various occasions. My strengths and aptitude coupled with my career goal, earmark a management degree essential for me. I feel that the learning, which comes form a competitive, dynamic and fulfilling atmosphere, will enable me to take up challenges of the management field. The programme at IIT D shall not only equip me with academic resources but would also enable me to have cross-functional learning and a network of like-minded professionals. The unmatched record of your institution would certainly give me the insight , maturity and confidence required to achieve my goal.

You have good points for achievements. But all career goals and why MBA stuff is just gas. Without career goals obviously you can not relate your achievements to it.
http://luciferhouseinc.blogspot.in/
plz raven sir,plz give ur feedback,i need to get the printout done.....

hello raven sir,thanx for ur more than useful feedback on my iitd sop...........
sir ,kindly help me in putting up stuffs for VGSOM,they have asked for
1.career and personal goals.
2.professional achievement
3.personal achievement
kindly go thru my sop's for each of these categories and give valuable feedbacks,gotta finalise it within a couple of hrs.
Career and personal goals
"Dreams are not what you have when you sleep, dreams are those that don't let you sleep"-remarked Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, former Indian President,these words keep charging me up and the day is not far when i would be a name to reckon with in the marketing fraternity and would have the power,resources to make a difference in other's lives.

This is too arrogant. Say I dream of the day when I would be a a name to reckon with in the marketing fraternity and would have the power,resources to make a difference in other's lives

I have been hardworking,ambitious,passionate and a go-getter all throughout my life and loved and accepted all the leadership roles offered to me with glee,be it organizing funds for oldage welfare association,volunteering for blood donations,successfully leading a group of people in a multinational networking company for one year,organizing technical fests in college etc.

No coherence. Sudden jump from previous line with no apparent link. Also sentence is too long. Need to break it into smaller ones.

Currently working with a small scale industry as a marketing engineer,i have discovered my passion for marketing and i dream of starting up a marketing venture of my own,probably an ad making company.

Your repeating yourself

while my engineering education in electronics and telecommunion and strong analytical,reasoning skills will help me understand various technical issues behind any decision

What bullshit is this?

i might take,an MBA degree at VGSOM with its highly qualified faculty, world class infrastructure, rich intellectual environment, strong industrial linkages and reputed science and research departments, will educate me in comparative management practices and interdisciplinary entrepreneurship development, widen my horizons and augment my technical knowledge with sound knowledge of business fundamentals and a comprehensive understanding of the functioning of an organization and enable me to grow personally as well as professionally ,after which i can think of fulfilling my dream.

Most of this again means nothing. Generally wasting space

Professional Achievement
i strictly believe that a person learns more by doing than reading ie practical experience contributes to the development and refinement of an individual's theories .Internship at TATA STEEL apart from the learning experience helped me get an insight into the working of a very large and successful organization and with the right approach and proper approach and guidance i was able to complete my project.Final year projects in college apart from helping me get a technical know how of current happenings in my branch of study also taught me to work well in a team.Currently working with a small scale industry as a marketing engineer,i have discovered my passion for marketing and i dream of starting up a marketing venture of my own,probably an ad making company.while my engineering education in electronics and telecommunion and strong analytical,reasoning skills will help me understand various technical issues behind any decision i might take,an MBA degree at VGSOM with its highly qualified faculty, world class infrastructure, rich intellectual environment, strong industrial linkages and reputed science and research departments, will educate me in comparative management practices and interdisciplinary entrepreneurship development and enable me to grow personally as well as professionally and give me an insight to the working of the organization,after which i can think of fulfilling my dream.

Don't write junk here or repeat what you have already written in SOP. This is different from the SOP. Please be specific and to the point and list your achievements.

Personal achievement

i believe hobbies and extra curricular activities add an extra dimension to a person's character and persoanlity. the most noteworthy personal achievements which has really propelled my mba dreams is that i have been able to fulfill most of the leadership roles assigned to me thus far,be it organizing funds for oldage welfare association,volunteering for blood donations,successfully leading a group of people in a multinational networking company enabling them to earn money as well as hone up their communication and interpersonal skills for one year,organizing technical fests in college fulfilling all deadlines,standing up and leading people to get their basic rights fulfilled in college etc.i have also shown keen interest in participating in group and individual events in college,be it the annual oratory event "PRATIJJA" in college,paper presentations events in inter college events.i also represented my school in cricket in inter school cricket tournaments for two years.i believe the confidence gained from all these endeavours has made me ready to accept challenges and make it big in life and 5 years down the line,i see myself as a successful entrepreneur,probably owning up a ad company,as i believe marketing is my forte,who can make a difference in other lives and a mba degree at VGSOM would be an ideal place where i could learna and kickstart my dreams.

Don't repeat the same thing in all the essays. Clearly write the personal achievements. Don't write all the stuff relating to career ambition and all here.
  • 1 Like  
http://luciferhouseinc.blogspot.in/
Hey i don't think you can say that your short term goal is to persue an MBA degree.
An MBA degree should be a means to achieve a goal.

Your lack of functional experience is very similar to the scene with me.
You can probably mention that in the short term you would like to work in say a manufacturing industry or something like that which would give you some hands on exp of the business processes.

Just a thought though.

Yup i Agree with you. I have made the changes to reflect the same.

Raven/Puys, Hope this time my SOP is ok.

----------------------------
Information technology and business are becoming inextricably interwoven. I don't think anybody can talk meaningfully about one without the talking about the other. - Bill Gates
As is evident from the words of Bill Gates above, IT has come to occupy a very important place in todays Business Environment and my goal is to build a career in this field.
I have worked in the IT Industry for 30 months. Although I am well versed with the technical side, I still am not very well versed with the functional side. This deficiency comes out especially when we are trying to understand the business requirements. This sometimes hinders me from contributing even more towards my project.
Therefore my short term goal is to widen my horizons and augment my technical knowledge with sound knowledge of business fundamentals and a comprehensive understanding of the functioning of an organization. A MBA Degree from a reputed college like VGSOM will help me in this, enabling me to contribute both at the functional level and at the technical level.
VGSOM, with its emphasis on technology driven and knowledge based industries, with its esteemed and highly qualified faculty and its strong alumni network is ideal for me as it can provide me the required expertise which can in turn propel me towards my ultimate long term goal of heading a company.

Hi Raven,

Here is my SOP..Please review and suggest changes(or ask me to rewrite )....

I believe that every individual is engineered by his surroundings. The repercussion of environment is quite evident in most of the actions and thoughts of a person. I seek an environment which will nurture my innate talents and instill the knowledge and confidence required to achieve my career goal. My career objective is to start a firm in the area of ______________.I believe strong leadership, adaptability, interpersonal skills, problem solving skills coupled with business acumen and business knowledge is required for any such initiative to succeed. I have continually excelled in positions of responsibility and have developed a knack of taking initiatives and leading a team successfully in various endeavors. Starting with leading school in republic day parade, being SCC of school, being editor of college magazine and founder editor of college wall magazine I have excelled in diverse areas. I was also convener of college annual function for two years and have taken it from a small event to a gala affair with huge budget and rock band performances. I have also been college student union president and have a lead a team of diverse group of people successfully at various occasions. My strengths and aptitude coupled with my career goal, earmark a management degree essential for me. I feel that the learning, which comes form a competitive, dynamic and fulfilling atmosphere, will enable me to take up challenges of the management field. The programme at IIT D shall not only equip me with academic resources but would also enable me to have cross-functional learning and a network of like-minded professionals. The unmatched record of your institution would certainly give me the insight , maturity and confidence required to achieve my goal.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

12027 people follow this discussion.