About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Soumik Ganguly @soumik.ganguly

Tags

Survival Tips for B-School GD-PI Processes

Group Discussion has evolved across these years and has become a very complex but Dissected methodology. It is a process wherein people who have been trained can become really stereotypical in terms of performances. This ensures that it becomes ea...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 6 of 45   

subscribing

Institute Of Management Technology - Ghaziabad PGDM-FT 2012-14

This article will documents the preparation required for Group Discussion. Written by a IIM graduate it provides quite a good insights - Practice a must to excel in group discussion

• 1 Like  
Go Global with ISBR Global PGDM – AICTE Approved

Advantages

- AICTE Approved

- Excellent ROI with cent% placement

- Experience 3 different countries

- Ranked No. 1 New Generation B-Schools of India

- Affordable Fee

Know More

ISBR Edge

- 23 years of excellence

- Located in Bangalore

- Highest Salary offered: 28 Lakh p.a.

- Received Exemplary Placement Award 2014

Download Fee Sructure

hey hi!...can u plz tl me if v have no knowledge of the topic being discussed in d gd..(except a few bt not so amazing points) dn hw cn v participate i dat discussion??...

sirs,
this thread is really awesome.... i have been going through all the posts of late. My doubts are:
1. I wanna do MBA in finance and i know that panelist would grill me with basic questions and maybe some cases that are current to it. What should be the basic things that i must be ready with in that subject so as to avoid any awkward embarrassment???
2. My problem in GD/WCT is that even if I have contents, my presentation starts in a very vague way which is a big NO-NO... I have been working on it but don't find much improvement with it like when i read any topic its hard to understand all of it so may be that's the reason for my failure.... I m worried and wanna get rid of this practice soon and effectively. pls help.
3. What should be an ideal get up for girls in the PI day??

Sir,
You should have seen 'The Newshour' by arnab goswami on times now. Will it be advisable to do in a Gd what arnab does in this program?

Hi Amrit

Typically the moderator of a b school gd does not moderate the GD as proactively as a prime time news channel anchor.

As far as your doing what the anchors do in a debate is completely not advisable since you are not the moderator.

The purpose to watch prime time debates for the candidates is to pick up the current affairs and well rounded opinions.

Hope that clarifies your doubt.

Sunil
Core Business School Indore

join this fb group for online gd
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/181366391930948/

Sir,
You should have seen 'The Newshour' by arnab goswami on times now. Will it be advisable to do in a Gd what arnab does in this program?

raiyanwasi Says
sirs i had a query.What us more important in a GD,speaking very fluently with little ideas or speaking grammatically incorrectly(sometimes) with ideas??what do they see sir??

Hi Raiyanwasi

Ideally you should be good at both speaking fluently and also have content.

From what I understand from your post you probably are looking solutions for people who are well aware but cant speak fluently.

1. Watch prime time news debates
2. Start speaking with your friends and colleagues in English ( esp. the ones who are better than you)
3. Join an english speaking course

Chances that you will be able to do well in GD are higher if you speak fluently with fewer ideas are better than vice versa.

Rgds,
Sunil

sirs i had a query.What us more important in a GD,speaking very fluently with little ideas or speaking grammatically incorrectly(sometimes) with ideas??what do they see sir??

Hi Sir,

I have faced a case study type GD in one colg, where we were given a case with 2 options.

( case was like X is an ambitious person with very good technical skiils and recently working jointly wth his frn for some electronic devices..and due to market conditions or competitors his products lost the world. Should he go for MBA(his financial condition is v low) or should continue his technical Work and launch a product without going for MBA degree as we found some entrepreneurs without higher education too..bla bla bla... )

and procedure was:

2 mins to give introduction or viewpoint about problem.
Then 10 mins Discussion
and last 2 mins to give conclusion.

How to proceed for such type of case.

One more doubt , we should speak favour of one option only whc we supported initially or in between can go for other options also..

Thanks in advance.

There are 2 situations in the case

To do MBA and start the business
To continue without doing the MBA.

You need to list down the pros and cons of both the decisions and spell it out in the viewpoint time. Dont take a stand in the beginning itself and let the discussion start. Keep listening to others' viewpoints and keep adding them to the pros and cons list, and also speak about other couple of new observations which would come to you during the GD.

Towards the end of the GD you have to recommend a solution because as a manager you need tot ake decisions and you cant be ambivalent about the same. You can refer to the points you made and others made and conclude that the pros outweigh the cons or vice versa and therfore you think that this 'should' be done. You can add a caveat that your decision with the limited information given in the case.

Hope that answers your query.

Regards,
Sunil
Hi

This one is a good observation.

Generally the approach to solve the case study eventually boils down to a few points - identifying the major problem, the factors in the problem, the grey areas, possible solutions (maybe 3 to 4 variations).

So if there is someone who begins the way you have stated, then thats a BIG mistake. The discussion has to happen by

1st- identifying and accepting the major problem statement. This is the first objective of the group.

2nd- giving the ratings of the factors that are involved, and collectively taking away the ones that can be ignored. This is where maximum part of the discussion will evolve.

3rd - putting in the various angles together (things like financial aspects, micro economic factors, etc.) and then drawing up a Plan A and also a Plan B, putting in the assumptions that these solutions will take for becoming successful.

Therefore, one does not have to summarize the case first. Thats actually a waste of time. Carry on in the above mentioned way and you would have the impact no one else can make.

Cheers.

Hi Sir,

I have faced a case study type GD in one colg, where we were given a case with 2 options.

( case was like X is an ambitious person with very good technical skiils and recently working jointly wth his frn for some electronic devices..and due to market conditions or competitors his products lost the world. Should he go for MBA(his financial condition is v low) or should continue his technical Work and launch a product without going for MBA degree as we found some entrepreneurs without higher education too..bla bla bla... )

and procedure was:

2 mins to give introduction or viewpoint about problem.
Then 10 mins Discussion
and last 2 mins to give conclusion.

How to proceed for such type of case.

One more doubt , we should speak favour of one option only whc we supported initially or in between can go for other options also..

Thanks in advance.

subscribing..

Does a candidate in gd pi whose unable to speak or had done some mistake, then will he be get eliminated from the admission process, then what will is done.....
can any1 plz explain me.....

Hi Jimmy

Inability to speak in GD is not acceptable at all as the whole purpose of the GD is to gauge you through what you speak. It is very much possible to gather confidence to speak in a GD for any one.

You are not an exception. Few tips for the same

1 Better knowledge of current affairs ( please read my previous post)
2 Good communication skills ( consider joining a english speaking institute if you have to start from scratch)
3 Other tricks of the trade of GD which can be learnt with practice.

However committing a mistake in a GD ( though should be avoided as much as possible) and making a comeback is possible because a GD gives you 2-3 chances to make your point.

PI needs to go exceptionally well if your GD doesnt go well. The probability and confidence will increase significantly if GD goes well. So take it as an important step and start preparing for it.

Rgds,
Sunil
Core Business School

Hi Lakshmi

In order to prepare for GD/PI you would be looking at improving your General Awareness and knowledge of current affairs and not GK in the strict sense of the word.

A few tips to improve General Awareness

1. Watching prime time debates on news channels.
2. Reading any good business news paper ( ET/Business Standard) - Esp front page and editorial page
3. Picking up the 2011 issue of Manorama Year Book or CSR year book.
4. Catch hold of a current affairs booklet given by the top CAT coahing institutes like IMS, CL, CF
5. Discussion with friends, social networking contacts etc.

All the best for your GD/PI

Rgds,
Sunil
Core Business School

Hi Puys...

If u have time, pls chk this link... I have started a new thread.. thought it would be a good idea... we vcan only get ideas from others but I guess we have to try something ourselves to do well in GD...
seniors, pls help...

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2012-gd-topics-current-affairs-25075317/3079814

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

480 people follow this discussion.