About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Soumik Ganguly @soumik.ganguly

Tags

Survival Tips for B-School GD-PI Processes

Group Discussion has evolved across these years and has become a very complex but Dissected methodology. It is a process wherein people who have been trained can become really stereotypical in terms of performances. This ensures that it becomes ea...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 26 of 45   
hello every1....i ve one que n need ur opinion on it...dont no weather its d rite thread 2 post but founf dis 1 an appropriate thread..so my que goes
wt challenges do u foresee as a manager in d emerging global environment??

Sheetal..

Please Come back with your understanding of the global environment and then we go ahead with answering the question.

Cheers..
Soumik Ganguly is a published author in Higher Education and Online Marketing 

hello every1....i ve one que n need ur opinion on it...dont no weather its d rite thread 2 post but founf dis 1 an appropriate thread..so my que goes
wt challenges do u foresee as a manager in d emerging global environment??

Admissions 2015 @ Great Lakes

PGPM 2015-16

1 Year Fast Track MBA Program for experienced professionals. 

App. Deadline (Cycle 2): 24 Jan. 2015

PGDM 2015-17

2 Year MBA program for graduates with 0-2 years of experience. 

Learn More

Global Faculty and internationally benchmarked curriculum

Accredited by AMBA, UK (PGPM & PGXPM Programs)

Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in One Year MBA Programs (2014)

Ranked 10th by Business India in Top B-Schools (2014)

Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs p.a. for PGPM 2013-14 &

Avg. CTC of INR 8.07 Lakhs p.a. for PGDM 2012-14

Know More
When the group discussion topic is given
if you do not hear proper , just request to repeat the topic
do not show surprises

Definition of communication skills
correctly saying what you want to say
speaking effectively and efficiently

General Principles
be a good listener
do not use high vocabulary
never use technical language while speaking
not knowing is not a problem , do not try to bluff

Things to avoid
do not criticize on religion
do not get personal with anyone
do not criticize foreign policy of India
never ever try to bluff

Who is the leader?
who gives directions to group
one who is " mostly spoken to "
impartial and rational ( unemotional)

Argument - exchange of ignorance
Discussion - exchange of knowledge
GD is not 'me vs. them', it is us

Important points
Never argue with fool - people may not know the difference
Rational thinking -balance approach ,who is not carried out by emotions
listen to others , take hints and use them to further contribution to the group knowledge

Thanks for your inputs. I agree to most of what you have mentioned but I disagree with the "Who is a leader?" part.

To me and to many panelists, leadership as a quality has been very very subjective to put into numbers or objective scanning.

A person who gives directions to the group but then doesn't follow-through will end up being a person in the corporate life as someone who will have creative and correct ideas but not be the one who will see to it that the idea is followed-through. Therefore this quality is as subjective as the others mentioned - unemotional, one who is spoken to, etc.

I may be a good listener and can use the communication styles of a particular "emotional" person to make him understand and look at the way I want him to understand the point. At that point, I am not being emotional but merely being smart enough to peruse the communication styles of others to convince the way they can be convinced.

Therefore, my friend, leadership is a mighty word that as a panel member and as a guide to many students, I am yet to get a complete definition of the same.

Thanks again for your inputs. Keep posting

Cheers.
  • 3 Likes  
When the group discussion topic is given
if you do not hear proper , just request to repeat the topic
do not show surprises

Definition of communication skills
correctly saying what you want to say
speaking effectively and efficiently

General Principles
be a good listener
do not use high vocabulary
never use technical language while speaking
not knowing is not a problem , do not try to bluff

Things to avoid
do not criticize on religion
do not get personal with anyone
do not criticize foreign policy of India
never ever try to bluff

Who is the leader?
who gives directions to group
one who is " mostly spoken to "
impartial and rational ( unemotional)

Argument - exchange of ignorance
Discussion - exchange of knowledge
GD is not 'me vs. them', it is us

Important points
Never argue with fool - people may not know the difference
Rational thinking -balance approach ,who is not carried out by emotions
listen to others , take hints and use them to further contribution to the group knowledge
  • 4 Likes  
Hello soumik,
I am a frehser.i have my interviews fot IIT-KGP & NITIE now. Can U tell me
1. what advantage can a B-school with only engineers have or rather inwhat ways would it be beneficial to me.
2. Does a fresher have any advantage over a work-ex guy ??

I have quoted one of my weakness as 'I get too much occupied with the task at hand and tend to neglect the surrounding environment'.this is something I recognised when i was working on my projects and also during studies or gaming.
Is this ok or can I frame it better ??

@yoda

1. The advantage that a B-schol with only engineers may have is the way the curriculum will be designed (which will be more analytical), and also the need that exists in the corporate world of getting BE+MBA conbinations.

Normally, BE students are considered more competent in working hard and have better work ethics - which comes from the rigour of 4 years of graduation. During MBA, this becomes more like a everyday life for them. These qualities help Engineers to spend more rigourous time during their initial years in the corporate world (along with the inherent strengths of analytical skills, and being at times more logical than others). You can sustain yourself more than others.

You choose an Institute wherein there are only engineers not becuase of that reason. It is because of the way the curriculum is designed and also the track-record of the Institution in guiding similar profiles across all the domains in the industry. These generally rank as the important factors that you would like to consider these colleges for studying.

Freshers have an advantage when the economy is not under any reccession, because companies feel that horses who have already run a bit have a better chance to handle such situation. What they are talking of is nothing but MATURITY. Get it for yourself during these 2 years and get a PPO if possible. Freshers always come with new ideas and are not stereotypical in their approach to problems. Thats one of the best qualities that you can have and maintain that.

The weakness is fine. Go ahead with that.

All the Best !!
  • 2 Likes  
sir i want to be an entrepreneur, but during 2 interviews i was asked by panelist that
panelsit:- "would u like to take placements after mba from our college?"
I:- no sir, i would myself apply to *** as i want to learn there business model.
Panelist:- R U SURE?what if u change ur mind tomorw?
I:- sir i can't as my dreams is to set up *** and i can give u in writing rite now( i suddenly take my hands to my pocket for pen, suddenly another panelist says)
its ok its ok, thanks for coming

Now what should i have done?i am confused if i did the right thing as if i wont take the placement they wont be able to claim 100percnt placement ?

your take?

regards gaurav

Gaurav

As a panelist, I will be confused by your answers...

Ans 1: "I would myself apply to..." - If you wish to start off as an entrepreneur, then where will you be applying to?? And learning the business model?? See if you opt out of placements, then you better have a very strong reason - something like starting a new company. For this, you are expected to have some plan for a particular domain or product or a service and know almost everything about that.

If in case you intend to learn business models of companies, you will have to work in them, and which means that you are open to sit for the placements.

Taking up placements and expecting placement support are two different things. the second one means that you are dependant on the placements process. Many a times, people forget that there is something known as PPO (pre placement offer) which gives maximum conversions in final offers made across all top campuses.

Put this point into your answer if intend to work before starting off on your own.

Ans 2: Please avoid such things like - I will give this to you in writing. What are you out to prove?? Your reasoning whould be strong enough and therefore the panel gets dis-interested to talk to you after that. Please let them know that comparing your objectives across all the options available, if today you do not get through to any MBA program, you will still try next year for the same and not change your mind. Similarly, even for your entrepreneurship dreams, there is no alternative to the ways you would to go ahead and achieve the same.

Hope this helps you!!!
  • 1 Like  

Hello sir,

thanks a lot for ur guidance...got a lot of clarity on my answer. will try and incorporate the changes suggested by u..

Hello soumik,
I am a frehser.i have my interviews fot IIT-KGP & NITIE now. Can U tell me
1. what advantage can a B-school with only engineers have or rather inwhat ways would it be beneficial to me.
2. Does a fresher have any advantage over a work-ex guy ??

I have quoted one of my weakness as 'I get too much occupied with the task at hand and tend to neglect the surrounding environment'.this is something I recognised when i was working on my projects and also during studies or gaming.
Is this ok or can I frame it better ??

sir i want to be an entrepreneur, but during 2 interviews i was asked by panelist that
panelsit:- "would u like to take placements after mba from our college?"
I:- no sir, i would myself apply to *** as i want to learn there business model.
Panelist:- R U SURE?what if u change ur mind tomorw?
I:- sir i can't as my dreams is to set up *** and i can give u in writing rite now( i suddenly take my hands to my pocket for pen, suddenly another panelist says)
its ok its ok, thanks for coming

Now what should i have done?i am confused if i did the right thing as if i wont take the placement they wont be able to claim 100percnt placement ?

your take?

regards gaurav

hello soumik sir,
sir i have a problem which i think u can help me through some guidance as reading some posts from you i think you can through some light on my prob...
sir i m btech passout from 2008 batch and due to market conditions my joining got postponed which was in dec 2008.sir now i want to your guidance that i want to pursue mba bt since i dont have job and my dis year mba result was nt so good so sir if join some bpo will it be counted as my exp. and do dey take some1 who have come from the bpo industry if i show that i have mettle to be in their collge.....and hw much can dis affect my chances next year as i have wasted last 7 months due to joining in december bt i was really hopeful that joining may come.......
thanks in advance....

@ Soumik Sir,

Is there any rule in this thread that no reply to any PMs?
I asked u a question a few days back through a PM. This was because i thought the question was related to my personal profile and other puys might have found it irrelevant.
Please let me know sir if i have to resend the query.

thank u so much sir for providing me with great clarity in my answer...thanks

Hi Sir,

Can you please throw some light on what all is involved in specialization-
1. operations
2. systems

Thanks,
-Varun

hello soumik sir,

i have done BSC biotechnology. i have calls from MFC, SRCC and TISS.

buti have few doubts in my mind. if you can suggest me then it will be a great help.

1. why i am switching from biotech to finance management????
2. as far as long term goals are concerned - i want to be entrepreneur. but in finance how can i describe it ....!!!
3. and i have a drop year also .....i did nothing but coaching for written test ....so what should i say for that ...i mean they can ask why didnot you join any company in the mean time ...???

General Studies for IAS/IPS EXAM http://rajeshsingathiaa.blogspot.in/

@ Soumik Sir,

Is there any rule in this thread that no reply to any PMs?
I asked u a question a few days back through a PM. This was because i thought the question was related to my personal profile and other puys might have found it irrelevant.
Please let me know sir if i have to resend the query.

thx soumik 4 ur valuable post will keep it into consideration...i ve 1 more que...im an B.com grad n planng 2 do my MBA in finance....so can u tell me wt my ans suld be if d panel asks me y dng MBA during eco slowdown n dat too in finance???
reply soon...

I guess tough times in economic conditions need good finance professionals to help micro economic factors that affect a lot of people and investors alike. Therefore this is the correct time to get into this domain, and it will also be good to know what not to do from prevalant conditions. At times it is a blessing.
  • 1 Like  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

480 people follow this discussion.