About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Soumik Ganguly @soumik.ganguly

Tags

Survival Tips for B-School GD-PI Processes

Group Discussion has evolved across these years and has become a very complex but Dissected methodology. It is a process wherein people who have been trained can become really stereotypical in terms of performances. This ensures that it becomes ea...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 2 of 67   

Few basic tips on Personal Interviews :-

1) Proper Resume standards.
2) Don €™t be timid.
3) Be confident, not arrogant.
4) Show them you are capable.
5) Integrity/ Honesty

6) Pay attention on Body Language
8 ) Enthusiasm
9) Be Spontaneous
10) Be Yourself

Post all your Admissions Queries here : http://goo.gl/BQpyw
@Red_Bull just wanted to get a clarification.. is it not a situation where if the moderators specifically ask one to summarize or give one's point considered might act in a negative way the candidate admission.. as the candidate was not able to contribute to the discussion..& moderators desperately wanted to hear the point of view of each candidate.... give a chance to speak
@PTeducation @Red_Bull thanks a lot for your valuable input.. will be working on those lines itself...
this time or never ;)
@alok7007 Hi Alok, some simple strategies you can use are:
1) Wait for the high decibel level to calm down. It happens every time. The peaks will inevitably change to troughs, although for a second or two. MAKE AN ENTRY RIGHT THERE AND THEN.
2) Have very very solid content related points. Nothing beats strong content. Content is King.
3) Say something dramatic - it helps.
4) The best of all -- START the discussion. It is easiest to start (as compared to chipping in later).
5) Be ready to speak (do not say no) if the examiner suddenly give you an opportunity during the GD, or at the end (to summarise or to conclude).

All the best!

• 1 Like  
@alok7007 Hi Alok, some simple strategies you can use are:
1) Wait for the high decibel level to calm down. It happens every time. The peaks will inevitably change to troughs, although for a second or two. MAKE AN ENTRY RIGHT THERE AND THEN.
2) Have very very solid content related points. Nothing beats strong content. Content is King.
3) Say something dramatic - it helps.
4) The best of all -- START the discussion. It is easiest to start (as compared to chipping in later).
5) Be ready to speak (do not say no) if the examiner suddenly give you an opportunity during the GD, or at the end (to summarise or to conclude).

All the best!

• 1 Like  
@alok7007 You don't have to shout at the top to get noticed during the GD atleast not in the case of VGSoM, IIT Kharagpur and I'm sure it would be the same case everywhere else. What you need to do is smartly chip in between the GD , tell your points very calmly and then watch other speaks. GD is not all about speaking but also about active listening to what others are saying. So, 3-4 valid points would see you through the GD. In VGSoM's case, the GD would be case based and the Moderators( the professors) would make sure that you say our points. You would also be required to summarize the Gd and for that writing the valid points what others say would help you summarize. Hope this helps.
If there's still any doubt, revert here.
  • 1 Like  
Sanjay Kumar VGSoM, IIT Kharagpur 2011-13
@soumik.ganguly
Sir, i have calls from IIT-Kgp,TAPMI, expecting calls from IIT-Roorkee
The problem I am having is that my voice is very low & during GD session.. it is completely drowned in front of people having loud voice.
This issue has also has been brought to my notice by the moderator also.

is there any way to overcome this situation & that too quickly
@soumik.ganguly
Sir
I have recieved calls form New iims
I have done BSc in Biotechnology after that joined public sector bank (Allahabad Bank as PO) which has no relation with the graduation subject.
Acutal Reason was doing further studies in biotech it require more 10 years to do research and all. As i am eldest in family, bounded to take job.

My question is How to answer the question 1)"Why MBA".
2) why you shifted From Biotechnology to Banking ?
Non egg Grad Trying Luck Again..!!! CAT 2013..!!
@soumik.ganguly Sir, how to go about this one-

Mr. X started a company to manufacture pump set and after few years he also opened its subsidiary for smooth operations. He also appointed a factory manager to look after the same company. Later on he converted the subsidiary into a manufacturing unit. After some time, when he investigated the various operations and accounts, he was shocked as he found some manipulation. Actually the Factory manager sold out entire scrap and distributed the fund raised among the workers. Consequently, he sacked the factory manager and appointed a new one. Because of this of this action workers stopped working and on strike. What will you do if you were in place of Mr. X?

my take>

Outlining the problem
Firstly, we shall define the immediate problem, and later on- the underlying root causes.
Here, the issue is manipulation in operations.
The manipulation- selling out the scrap and distributing the fund, underpins the lack of loyalty.

Problem Analysis
For a perpetrator, the manager is a direct guess ; logically, it appears infeasible that the manager will harness the funds, just to be sacked - as the manager shall be considered responsible for whatever faults that appear. However, the possibility cannot be ignored.
Although, culprit might be another member of operations-team, committing such an act in order to get the manager sacked, or he might be in for the money only.

Resolution

Immediate..

1.We have to have a holistic approach to leave no room for doubt.
Mr.X shall have a talk with the manager, and query him regarding the incident.
2. Mr.X must call for a meeting with the members of the operations team regarding the incident.
3. workers should be taken in confidence, and Mr. X should try to talk 'em out and get the truth by announcing some incentive.

Long-term..

Deceitfulness of employees can really hurt an organization, the perpetrator must be shown the way out, as such incidents can cause serious damage later on.
In order to maintain a culture of unity and commitment , Mr.X shall try to unite the workers with the company by kicking off new initiatives , i.e providing 'em incentives in the form of small shares of partnerships into the organization, so that they associate with it and work for its growth ; organizing weekend parties where workers and employers associate with each other, identify the bond of unity and develop a productive and positive attitude towards the company.

• Reminiscence.. 04 Sep '13.
I wish to have no qualms or regrets- just hope to be the person I always wanted to be.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

480 people follow this discussion.