Student Activities & Life @ IFMR Chennai.

_Hello Everybody,_ _My name is Vasanth Srinivasa; I am a student of the Post Graduate Diploma in Management course (2005-07 batch) at the Institute for Financial Management and Research, Chennai._ _I am starting this thread to primarily ...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 2 of 9   
Guest Lecture by PPR Rao, Vice Chairman, Kaynes Technologies Ltd.

Intellectual Capital: We have all heard of it but we rarely give it a thought. To give us an insight on the same, a guest lecture was arranged at the IFMR premises, delivered by Mr Podila Pandurangarao, better known as PPR Rao, Vice Chairman of Kaynes Technology Ltd. Intellectual capital is defined as the sum total of the intangible assets (outcome of past), the know-how of the company (Performance at present) and the renewal ability (ability to improve and renew) of the company. Among a more detailed classification comes the human capital, organizational structure capital, relational structure capital and the business recipe (compatibility of the company €™s process with the product). He emphasized on the relation between knowledge management and intellectual capital, differentiating the process from the end product. The fact that the importance of knowledge management is catching up, he focused on the measurement and leverage of the same and how it benefits the organization. Ic rating has three aspects namely the effectiveness, risk and renewal and development and each has to be valued under the categories mentioned earlier. The guest lecture was a fruitful one, throwing light on one of the upcoming aspects of corporate work.
Web: http://www.ifmr.ac.in/ FB: http://www.facebook.com/IFMRChennai
Corporate Finance And MIS: a Guest lecture by Mr. Venkatesh Viswanathan, CFO, Williams Lea, India

Guest lectures: the heading itself consists of the word lecture indicating the seriousness and restrictions it holds. But what if the session breaks realms and exceeds expectations? This was the case of the guest lecture by Mr Venkatesh Viswanathan, which was supposed to restrict to the limitations of Corporate Finance and Management Information Systems but actually touched beyond that. Though an expert in the finance field, being a chartered accountant, cost accountant, company secretary and the CFO of Williams Lea, India, Mr Venkatesh held students €™ attention by his introductory speech on leadership, which is a vital aspect of being a manager. His talk involved the 4 Es of leadership, namely Energy (the will to do), Energiser (the motivation for oneself and others), Edge (the competitive upper hand) and Execution (the most important part-application). He then went on to describe the basics of corporate finance which consisted of investment, analysis, allocation of funds and decision making and how the process takes place. Further he explained how the MIS system works and how this mechanical input output system actually yields result based on the caliber of the person operating and analyzing it. It was indeed a learning session which instilled in the students much more than theoretical subject knowledge.
LIVE CHAT with ex- Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi

Ask all about Post-CAT results in a LIVE CHAT on 

26th December 2014 at 8.30pm with  Dr. Himanshu Rai, CAT 2010 Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi.

Participate Now

-Full time post graduate program in business

-Faculty from SDA Bocconi, Italy 

-Dual Campus Mumbai and Milan

-2014 Avg. CTC 10 Lakh p.a

- Merit Based Tuition Fee Waiver 

Download Placement Stats
Hat-Trick .....Won The CFA Challenge again

It is time for another feather in IFMR's cap, the renewal of a legacy well carried off. IFMR has once again won the coveted CFA Global Investment Research Challenge South Zone Finals organized by The Indian Association of Investment Professionals (IAIP). A dedicated team of future managers namely Madan Gopal Reddy, Narayanan Sivasailam, Rakesh Adiga, Siddhant Kotak and SV Ramasubramanian (second year students) led the college to its third consecutive win. Competing teams were IIM-B, IIM-K, IIM-T, IIT-Madras, ISB-Hyderabad, TAPMI -Manipal and BIM-Trichy. The esteemed judging panel consisted of Krishnan Parameswara Iyer, Managing Director, DNB Investment Services (India) Pvt Lt. Suresh Krishnamurthy, Director – Global Financial Research at CRISIL Global Research & Analytics, Ms. Roshi Jain, Vice President & Portfolio Manager – Equities for Franklin Templeton India AMC Ltd. Satish Ramanathan - former Director and Head of Equity, all equity portfolios of Sundaram Mutual fund. The CFA Institute Research Challenge is an annual global competition which provides university students with hands-on mentoring and intensive training in financial analysis and professional ethics. Each student participant is tested on analytic, valuation, report writing and presentation skills and gain real-world experience as he/she assumes the role of a research analyst. The challenge is an educational initiative that promotes best practices in equity research among the next generation of analysts. The CFA Institute Research Challenge gathers together:
-university students,
-investment industry professionals,
-publicly traded companies,
and
-corporate sponsors
for local, regional, and global competition.
Additionally, all participants are introduced to and held to the standard of the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct.

Guest Lecture by Mr. Sethuraman,Executive Vice-President , Rane Group

If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself ...
One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple. €? €• Jack Kerouac
Simple words have the strongest effect and this was well illustrated in the guest lecture held at IFMR by Mr. Sethuraman, Executive Vice-President, Corporate Finance and Business Development at Rane Group, Chennai on Financial Planning and Forecasting.
The lecture involved nuances of the subject explained through various instances and analogies from our daily life, be it pocket money or college grades. Students were able to connect easily to the topic and reciprocated with zeal and interest on the same. While humor played a subtle attention binder, useful tips were also given for placement preparations and emphasis was laid on learning beyond textbook and awareness of the ongoing changes in the industry. The need to be constantly updated was well stressed as were the virtues of hard work, punctuality and discipline in work culture. The session ended with topic-related questions from the students and a short clip about the Rane group giving the industrial details.

Seminar on Monetary transmission in Low-Income Countries: Effectiveness and Policy Implications

By Ms. Prachi Mishra, Senior economist, Economic Advisory Council to PM of India (On leave from IMF)

10.09.2012, IFMR, Chennai

Monetary transmission mechanism describes how policy-induced changes in the nominal money stock or the short-term nominal interest rate impact real variables such as aggregate output and employment. This was the topic of a seminar given at the IFMR Business School by eminent economist Ms. Prachi Mishra. The seminar was attended by the president of IFMR, faculty members, Ph.D. scholars and both first and second year MBA students. The salient points of the talk were description of characteristics of an ideal monetary transmission mechanism and the pre-conditions required for the development of the same based on what is prevalent in advanced economies, various channels of such transmission and how these differ across developed and developing countries, and common features of a relatively weak transmission mechanism across low income economies. An ideal monetary transmission mechanism is based on the effective functioning of six channels namely short term interbank interest rate, bank lending, exchange rate, long term interest rate, asset and balance sheet. Some of the pre-conditions for development of these transmission channels include strong institutional environment and well defined property rights, independence of the central bank, liquidity of government securities and term structure of interest rates, high international capital mobility, a floating exchange rate and well-developed securities markets. Through a series of econometric evidence, it was empirically shown that compared to advanced economies, developing and low income countries substantially lag behind in several of these pre-conditions such as exchange rate flexibility, degree of financial integration, banking sector competitiveness, central bank credibility, and financial depth. A simple model was used to demonstrate that in conditions of uncertainty such as those characterizing developing and low-income economies, pursuing aggressive monetary policy may not be suitable, though it may be beneficial in economies with much less uncertainties, such as the developed countries. In this context, desirability of an inflation targeting framework, foreign exchange interventions to stabilize the exchange rate as well as prudence of capital account restrictions in developing and low income countries were discussed at length through active participation from the faculty members and students. The seminar concluded with the implication that while the existing monetary transmission models may work for advanced economies, the same may not be suitable for developing countries and hence there is a need to rethink the way monetary policies are implemented in these countries.

• 3 Likes  
Supratim Datta, Institute of Financial Management & Research -2012-14, Intern @ Vedanta
FRESHER'S PARTY

What is synonymous to an evening filled with laughter, warmth and non-stop dance? For IFMRians it was the Fresher's Eve with the theme “Mismatch”. With preparations going around for a week, the juniors gave a pleasant surprise to the seniors through outstanding performances, be it songs or dances, while the seniors reverted with great music to groove to and superb oration. To add up to the spice of the evening, special rounds of dedications were conducted where people could dedicate songs to the ones who hold a special niche in their college life. Now the important question, which fresher party is complete without a Mr. and Ms. Fresher? Obviously the answer is none so through a series of question answer rounds, finally the names of Hasitha and Krishnan were etched on the crowns of Ms. and Mr. Fresher. Both were given a memento and a gift pack. The prize winning session did not end here, accolades were given for being the best dancer (male and female), best singer and best dressed. But the real fun started when the in-house DJ, Asad, got everyone on the floor. For what seemed like an unending night, the seniors and juniors kept dancing till they dropped, keeping aside all boundaries of formality. Granting us a great break from academics and a treasure of priceless moments, the Fresher's Eve ended with vivacious hearts and a stronger senior junior symbiosis.

• 3 Likes  
Supratim Datta, Institute of Financial Management & Research -2012-14, Intern @ Vedanta
FINQUIZITIVE-Finance Quiz

“ Money was never a big motivation for me, except as a way to keep score. The real excitement is playing the game.”

-Donald Trump

Quizzes always act as a stimulant to the mind but when it's a finance quiz the process only gets more mind boggling. So 23 teams gathered in the Bhagirathi Hall and boggled their minds, to come up with some correct and some hilarious answers.

Finquizitive was a two tier event with the first round being an elimination round. Five teams overcame this seemingly insurmountable barrier to progress to the next round. This round comprised of several sub-rounds, with some focusing on the intricacies of the financial market while others focused on the relationships between various financial items and different stock markets of the world. The audio-visual round made the teams put on their thinking caps and come up with fascinating answers. While the teams slogged it out to win the crown, it was the audience who had all the fun, as they got rewarded with chocolates for every correct answer they gave. This finance filled evening ended with Team 1, comprising of Hasitha and Manoj emerging as the winner followed up by Team 2, comprising of Chintam Ashish and Chandrapu Siddhanth.

• 4 Likes  

WORKER'S DAY

Taking people for granted is something we do often. But still those people continue to care for us in every way possible without any sign of complaint. Samarthan, the social service club at IFMR, helped us in giving back the concern we receive each day from those who constantly work towards making our life better; and hence came the realization to lend some smiles to those who spend their lives for us. The Worker's day was celebrated in the college premises in honour of the supporting staff of the college ,be it the mess workers or the security personnel. A day dedicated to making their moments special and their happiness matter the most. The event comprised of various games like tailing the donkey, bursting balloons tied to each other's legs and lots more. Age saw no seams and neither did vigor; all that mattered was the delight each face held. Students, apart from the commendable Samarthan team, from both batches contributed in the success of the event by various means like decoration, participation and provision of gifts. Music was the soul of the day which made even the eldest of the workers tap their feet to the rhythm. Gifts were distributed as a small token of appreciation of the commitment these people show in their daily life. But as all good things come to an end, so did this memorable day, which left each of us with a smile on our face borne out of the sheer joy of giving. It is said “ Live and let live” but Samarthan taught us “Live and give back”. Another great lesson from Life@IFMR.
  • 4 Likes  

CELEBRATIONS

Onam- a celebration of homecoming of the legendary Emperor Mahabali and in today's era represented as the harvest festival borne in God's own country, Kerala. But at IFMR, Chennai it spelt much more than that. It displayed the rich blend of cultures, the true essence of sharing and the joy of team work. The fest started with the hard work of current batches in making Pookalam, bringing forth the true sense of Festival of Rain flowers,as Onam is called, and adorning the college entrance with a majestic creation of flowers. As the onam zeal started flowing through the dusky day, students got ready to welcome the festival with full vigour and warmth. While girls personified beauty in sarees and traditional dresses, boys matched up too. Traditional “munds” were a common sight among them,encasing rich cultural attachment. Each student helped the other in looking his/her best and in contributing in whichever way possible to the celebrations. Classes started with a warm wish from faculty members which received a loud response simply echoing the ecstasy people felt. The sweetness of Keralites was well reflected by the distribution of sweets throughout the batch which not only added to the fervor but spread congeniality too. Onam may be the festival of Malayalis but it surely saw a huge enthusiasm from people from all states and religions. To find happiness in small things,to share warmth and to look beyond ourselves,beyond realms of cultural differences is what Onam taught us. It taught us to care for others and to put in the best effort for things which matter in our lives; one of the many lessons of Life at IFMR.

• 3 Likes  
IFMR B SCHOOL PRESENTS
Abhyudaya 2012
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Abhyudaya 2012 will be inaugurated in esteemed presence of its chief guests
Mr. Ananth. R
Asst. Commissioner of Customs, Chennai
&
Mr S Krishnan
Executive Director - Finance
Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
  • 2 Likes  
Piyush Mehesare IFMR B SCHOOL 2011-13
Interview of the topper Batch 2011-13

1.Please tell us about yourself?
I am Divya lakshmi. I did my Bachelors degree in computer science and engineering as I was fascinated by computers and algorithms from my high school days. My interests over the subjects and strong analytical skills helped me to excel in College. From childhood, apart from academics, one thing that always fascinated me is organizing and leading people. I have organized a number of functions like cultural events and symposiums and have been the class representative many times, both in school and college. I like playing chess; it gives food for my thoughts and made me make many winning moves. I joined Cognizant in November 2009 and worked for a client named E*Trade, a US based financial services company for 20 months before joining IFMR.

2.What influenced you to take up MBA in IFMR?
My job as a Programmer Analyst bears the description of Software development. But my job has demanded more on the management aspects like Client management and Project management. Though as a Fresher I've handled the Client management more confidently, there have been some situations in Project Management which I felt I could have handled better if I honed my management skills. Here I thought a premier institute like IFMR will help me bridge the gap between the skills I posses and the one's I am expected to posses. Also IFMR is the only institute that offers Financial Engineering programme in MBA and I was keen in joining that worldwide reputed course. I strongly believed that education from IFMR will take me long way to climb the corporate ladder with enormous self confidence distinguished from the rest of the crowd out there.

3.Could you provide us some insight on FE program and its curriculum?
My Job at E*Trade introduced me to various trading mechanisms, ESOPs and financial derivatives like Options, futures etc. Driven by these financial jargons, my interests to specialize in the advanced financial products made me chose the specialized flagship course of PGDM in Financial Engineering at IFMR. IFMRs unique two-year program in Financial Engineering has been designed to provide management graduates with rigorous training in applied quantitative finance. The program is spread over two years; in the first year, students are exposed to general areas of management such as Corporate Finance, Accounting, Marketing, IT & Operations, Strategy, and Organizational Behavior. This provides a well-rounded training to the aspiring management graduate. The students also undergo a year-long refresher course in Mathematics that covers the basics of Calculus, Linear Algebra, Probability, Statistics etc. In the second year, advanced Financial Engineering courses are offered; these include Stochastic Calculus for Finance, Asset Pricing, Interest Rate and Credit Risk Models, Financial Risk Measurement, Simulation Techniques, Financial Econometrics etc. These courses are taught by some of the finest finance faculty in the country, who are also associated with the Center for Advanced Financial Studies (CAFS) at IFMR.

4. What are the opportunities available in your institute to gain practical knowledge?
IFMR has always been a place of happenings. Students have lots of opportunities to gain practical knowledge. There are regular guest lectures organized by Colloquim committee, where people from corporate and Alumni share their experience on a wide range of topics and also provide valuable insights in handling challenges. We are also given opportunity to work on real time projects with different organization and also with specialized centers like Centre for Microfinance (CMF). The courses include case based approach, which gives us a chance to apply our knowledge and intuition to solve mind boggling problems.

5. Are there committees within the institute to foster students' knowledge sharing and interaction?
Yes. Students here are part of different clubs and committees like Arthasabha the finance club, Samarthan the social service club, Marketing club, HR club, Creativity club, sports, IT club, Entrepreneurship committee and debate club. These clubs and committees serve as a platform for students to engage in discussions and share knowledge. The clubs also organize various events which help the students to fine tune their organizing and leadership skills.

6. Name some of the major events organized by your institute?
There are several events organized by our students. To name a few, Arthasabha is the finance summit organized in partnership with BSE at Mumbai, Abhyudaya is the national level BFest organized by us which attracts participants from premier Business Schools, Aids Walk for Life and Lakshmi Bal Mahotsav are the events organized with a social.

7. How do you think your work experience is contributing towards MBA?
I can relate the subjects taught in the class with the real time situations in my job and hence it helps me get a clear picture. It has also enhanced my confidence and problem solving skill to think and act spontaneously.

8. What do you think is the most important attribute a student must possess to be successful in management education?

There is one quality that one must possess to win, and that is definiteness of purpose, the knowledge of what one wants and a burning desire to possess it. Keeping up an inquisitive and explorative attitude, I believe, leads to a constant learning process.

9. How would you describe life @ IFMR in short?
IFMR has been a great learning place for me. Faculties are student friendly and share a lot of their experience with us. The various events have helped me hone my organizing and leadership skills. It has not only been a place of serious study, we also have events like Treasure hunt, Dunes, the beach event etc to reduce our stress. The diverse population at IFMR has put me through the greatest experience of both my career and life. Also at IFMR the various clubs and activities are helping me to mold as a self contained Individual and achieve Corporate Social responsibility which I feel any successful person should possess. In the whole I feel IFMR will help me achieve my goals in all my endeavors of life.

Source : Story of IFMR topper Divya Laxmi
  • 1 Like  
IFMR B SCHOOL, CHENNAI in association with TIE and Nurture Talent PRESENTS

Strides'12
Comenzia - Transforming Dreams to Reality

A two day Entrepreneurial Extravaganza Hosted by The Entrepreneurship Club and the Colloquium Committee of IFMR
Venue
Day 1(3rd, Feb) -> GRT Grand Convention Center, Chennai
DAY 2(4th, Feb) -> IFMR B School, Chennai
Prizes worth Rs.70000to be won!!

EVENT DATES : 3rd ,4th Feb

Loads of events lined up.
Event Registrations have started.

Launch Pad
Launch Pad is all about a blend of 15 start-up companies from diverse business segments showcasing their innovativeproducts, prototypes, revenue models and ideas to a panel of venture capitalists.The event aims to bridge the gap between corporate and students

Panel Discussion
"TRANSIT RISKS TO OPPORTUNITIES-ENTREPRENEURIAL JOURNEY SO FAR !"
This open house discussion will have a panel of 4-5 well settled and successful entrepreneurs who had realized their dreams after turning all stumbling blocks into stepping stones. It is time to listen to their success stories. Do not miss out the chance from meeting these industry giants !!!

Panel Discussion
"FUNDING - THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TABLE ! "
Discussion focuses on how to fund a start-up, how they evaluate start-ups, their success and failure stories and the essential market research to be conducted while selecting the right line of business..

Build Ur Impressa
A case based B-PLAN competition.
"WE GIVE YOU CONSTRAINTS, YOU GIVE US THE CONCEPT
We will provide you with nerve racking Cases that will boggle your minds and test your limits, You are expected to craft ingenious and Flawlessly amazing Business Plans that will provide the much-needed solutions to these case constraints.

Dwandwa

Dwandwa endeavors to provide a platform to generate meaningful debate on burning issues pertaining to the domain of entrepreneurship, and the opportunities and challenges associated with it.

Preliminary Round submission deadline ( for both events ) : 20:00 hours (IST), 20th Jan12

Submit the preliminary round articles to the following id : tec@ifmr.ac.in

VISIT
http://www.strides12.com for more details.
  • 1 Like  
Institute for Financial Management & Research in association with
Bombay Stock Exchange LTD (B.S.E)

presents..... ARTHASABHA 2.0
The National Level finance summit on the theme "Conundrum- Challenges and opportunities in financially inclusive India"
in esteemed presence of corporate Big shots like- :clap::clap:Mr. Narendra- CMD, IOB,Mr. Balasubramanian - CEO, Birla Sunlife Mutual Fund,Mr. Mohan Shenoi - Head of Treasury, Kotak Mahindra Bank :clap::clap:and many more..

@ International convention Hall, B.S.E, Mumbai on 14 th oct 2011

IFMR-ARTHASABHA
  • 1 Like  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

44 people follow this discussion.