About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Allwin Agnel @pagalguy

Tags

Some Books I have Read & Would Recommend

Hi All :: A bunch of books on management & related stuff. 1) Tom Peters - Circle of Innovation 2) Maverick - Ricardo Semler 3) Managing Radical Change - Sumantra Ghoshal 4) Every Business is a growth business - Ram Charan 5) Ge...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 252 of 541   

Finally finished reading State of Fear by Micheal Crichton.
The book was written in 2004 and it still has some relevance today.
For those who came in late, this book is a work of fiction. Probably the worst of Crichton's novels as far as the narrative and the plot is concerned.

But, this is a very important book. It makes you question the things you see on TV and read in the papers. The author advises you not to blindly accept the conclusions and results related to global warming. If you've seen the movie Farhenheit 9/11, you will instantly relate to the arguments laid out by the author.

I have posted a few conclusions here

• 3 Likes  
Commenting on this post has been disabled.

So guys please do let me know a thread where I would get to read some reallyyy useful articles.
I have already covered many of the threads, but couldn't find anything near to my expectation (more because the intent of those threads was entirely different).
Sarsij Nayanam

Do check out Swaminomics
  • 5 Likes  
One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More
xcoolaryan Says
Dude, I looked up that book everywhere ... even on special search engines which used to bring anything ... but I got up only one link and that too was not working properly ... it seems you have to order it directly from Amazon

Thnx for the effort man. this book has been quite elusive!! iv contacted crossroads almost 3 times now, atleast all major bookstores dont have it.
  • 1 Like  
Originally Posted by dubyaman
was desperately wanting to read, "The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power " by daniel Yeargin. Cudnt find it in any bookstore in bbay. If anyone has an online version do send me the link. will be very grateful.

Dude, I looked up that book everywhere ... even on special search engines which used to bring anything ... but I got up only one link and that too was not working properly ... it seems you have to order it directly from Amazon
  • 1 Like  
Read this article on Karnataka politics.........was written a few weeks back when the state was gearing up for the elections........
IBNLive : Krishna Prasad 's Blog : Dear God, please let us have a hung assembly
Twitter: @sarsij | http://onthejoblearning.wordpress.com | http://sarsiz.wordpress.com
Hi puys,
was desperately wanting to read, "The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power " by daniel Yeargin. Cudnt find it in any bookstore in bbay. If anyone has an online version do send me the link. will be very grateful.

REITERATING MY REQUEST GUYS........... ANY NOBLE SOUL WHO HAS A SOFT COPY OR A HARDCOPY OF THIS BOOK, PLEASE PM ME. THANKS A LOT..
How difficult life could be, especially if you are a family member of a star of India? Now add some more troubles by replacing that star of India by Mr MS Dhoni. And to make things absolutely worse, place that family in a samll town like Ranchi (which was absolutely unknown to Indians until the Fodder Scam or the Dhoni Phenomena happened).
This article provides the trauma faced by a journalist to capture Dhoni in his stories, and at the same time the troubles faced by Dhoni's family members. Read it here : IBNLive : Prabhakar Kumar's Blog : Done with Dhoni
On a lighter note, I wish to share that I am also from Ranchi, and although I am not a star till date (neither it appears like I will be someday), but in case if such a thing happens then I will surely request my family to shift out of this country to avoid un-necessary media coverage, and peep into our personal space ;)
  • 1 Like  
Twitter: @sarsij | http://onthejoblearning.wordpress.com | http://sarsiz.wordpress.com
hi all,
I was looking for a thread where I can read some interesting/thought-provoking/useful/meaningful articles. Sadly, I could not find one.
actually, these days I have a lot of time, and thats why I wish to read even during the office hours. and what could be a better source than PG :)
So guys please do let me know a thread where I would get to read some reallyyy useful articles.
I have already covered many of the threads, but couldn't find anything near to my expectation (more because the intent of those threads was entirely different).
I am sure that I have missed out many threads, and thats why felt like asking.
Hope to hear from you all.
Thanks & Regards
Sarsij Nayanam
Read the review of the book '3 Mistakes.....' from CNN-IBN
IBNLive : Rohit Khilnani's Blog : What a mistake!
Now I am more than convinced that I do not need to read this book (especially after buying it)
  • 4 Likes  
amankwatra007 Says
i have read a book named "the honour of thieves" by sir jeffrey archer. a brilliant and must read book about the careful and wicked planning made by thieves to steal the american declaration of independence . the book presents you with a marvellous strategy to perform this whole operation

Has anyone read Archer's latest...The Prison of Times I guess.....reviews have been very good...was surreal meeting the real man in Mumbai..!!
Few days back I read a review about the book '3 Mistakes.....', and even I went on to write about it (based on my experience with the last one from CB). In continuation to the same, I am pasting a link from CNN-IBN's Blogs, here is the review of the book.....
IBNLive : Rohit Khilnani's Blog : What a mistake!
i have read a book named "the honour of thieves" by sir jeffrey archer. a brilliant and must read book about the careful and wicked planning made by thieves to steal the american declaration of independence . the book presents you with a marvellous strategy to perform this whole operation
  • 2 Likes  

Finished about 200 pages of '3 mistakes...' and came to this thread to write something about it but already a lot has been written...

Well I bought this book as soon as the I read the first review of this book in this thread...well I am disappointed to say the least... Even one night was far far better than this...

@digant_dalal : I am not a Gujju but even I felt something wierd about ambavad. I kept on feeling that something is wrong with this name. Now I know.
Infact there are other mistakes also. One was that he mentioned that Laxman opened in second innings of India australia test match which is clearly not the case. Though a minor mistake, I didnt like it that he made a mistake while describing a test match the memories of which is etched forever in my mind.

There is another bigger issue. Somehow I feel that some authors never change thier style of writing. They pick up the simlar plot and all their novels will be based on that. So it becomes very boring to read their third or fourth novel. You start expecting the same scenes described in a very similar way. Eg there has to be a love scene between the protaganist and his gal in every CB novel.I have felt this way beforeand its an indication that you must move to some fresh author.
Seems this is the last CB for me unless I hear really really great reviews about the next book

Am also reading Blink in parallel. Not exactly liking it..... Could anyone post a small review which might motivate me to finish it quickly (or dump it for that matter)

Anuj
Anuj

• 7 Likes  

Also, I wanted to ask this question since long........how many of you are actually like me?.....in the sense that you read more than one book at a time....(at a time means - in parallel in a single day ). I somehow can't read (or do) just one thing at a time (don't know how bad is it) but thats how I am. Can someone suggest me a way so that I may concentrate on a single book (or work) at one point of time?

There is absolutely nothing wrong in reading many books at a time . It is indeed great that you can do it. You dont have to change your habit and try read one book at a time . It depends on how much you can take from a single book at a time . Some can keep reading a book for hours while others have a lesser span . The later ones either go do something other than reading or if they want to continue reading , take up another book . But the important thing is to choose books that are very different(i.e) fiction and non-fiction , thriller and comedy , philosophy and romance etc .
  • 3 Likes  

Hi puys,

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

2290 people follow this discussion.