About this discussion

Last updated

Author
@jas_maverick

Tags

Reality Case Studies

Well there were reality Tv shows, games, dares etc, so why not case studies:) Okay agreed that most of case studies we go thu are 'reality' ones only, so lets discuss them. We will take example of a problem in some company and then discuss...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 2 of 12   
Current Problems :

1) Motorola does not have a brand image in the market.

2) They don't have products that would appeal to specific segment of market.

3) Motorola's low end products are very pathetic. They can't compete with any of the other player's product.

4) They are losing on the side of innovation to Sony & Nokia.

5) There products don't stand for any special purpose. e.g. Nokia's music edition/ Sony's Walkman series/ Nokia's high end photographic cell-phones with 8GB space.

Analysis :

Nokia was (& still is) the biggest player in India. Because of there simplicity of softwares & service provided after the sell of products. Motorola was managing to compete with Samsung,Sony but then Sony suddenly took a lea forward with Walkman series & ate a large market share of Samsung, Motorola. Even Nokia lost some of the market, but it was less. They roped in Hrithik as brand ambassador for new product range.

Motorola did not (still has not) tried to change it's products to suit the market. The only product was doing good is Razor, the only reason people are using it is the Style, which people like to change every now & then.

Nokia has a wide range of products & each cellphone is embedded with the features that, that particular segment would care about. Low end segment eyed products contained features like Radio, Colors, Polyphonic Ringtones & these are the features that are advertised & not the style. Costly cell phones are advertised for their Style, high end music system, cameras & all that, that segment would care about. None the less, the biggest of Nokia remains is - User Friendly Interface.

Sony had the same problems as Motorola, but there products were better in terms of Style & then came the Walkman series, it was the biggest hot of the time.

Solutions : (other than appointing me as a Brand Manager)

1) Revitalize the brand. Roping in Abhishek Bachhan has certainly not helped. The advertises are too funny to be of technology product. And, yes, other adds like Yuva, are seriously torture.

2) Study the market, introduce the products that are aimed at certain segment of customers.

3) Introduce technology driven products - like Music, Photography more additional services. Take one of all aspects, & advertise accordingly instead of general advertises.

4) Change the brand manager. (In case if some one hears :detective:about recruitment of Motorola's Brand Manager, PM me:new_terminator::new_terminator::new_terminator:)
Commenting on this post has been disabled.

Being a brand manager, what do you think Motorola has been doing wrong, esp in Indian market?
  1. Should it keep in premium market segment like Razor, or should it flood market with Moto Yuva kind 2-5K handsets; or what else? (remember big daddy Nokia)

My thoughts:
As a brand manager, i would be worried that Motorola as a brand is almost non-existent in a lot of consumers minds. Atleast in my mind.

Being a brand manager, i wud focus first on getting the brand right. What does it stand for?
Reliability or style?
The moto-rokr ad campaign was pretty good and stood out. But some of the other ad campaigns like moto-yuva are a pain to watch.
The communication strategy needs to be looked at first thing.
Nokia on the other hand has a very polished communication strategy that doesnt make a consumer feel that he is buying a low cost mobile.
The har jeb mein rang advert was well received and so were the 1100 campaigns.
The basic idea was conveyed properly and whoever wanted to buy dint have to worry abt the silly ad campaign that others around him wud associate the product with.

Also, from my own experience of buying a mobile phone, samsung doesnt have very strong and continuous ad campaigns, but it makes its presence felt in the stores.
Store-keepers have an idea abt the product and are willing to sell it hard. Maybe bcoz of the margins they earn with samsung are more.
Distribution and visibility in the shopping place is another thing to look at.

So, most important thing would be to re-think the branding strategy and make it uniform across the product range.
The one area where moto needs to concentrate is giving confidence in terms of reliability of its products.
Indian consumers are always conscious of quality, durablility and cost.

will post more later. Hurrying home now.
Admissions open at Goa Institute of Managemnet

Studying at GIM will change you; transforming you into a competent leader. A learning experience based on Ethics, Diversity, Innovation, Research and Social Sensitivity, specifically designed to launch you into a rewarding and successful career.

Apply Now.

Learn more about us.

Start Downloading
Motorola !!
  1. Being a brand manager, what do you think Motorola has been doing wrong, esp in Indian market?
  2. Should it keep in premium market segment like Razor, or should it flood market with Moto Yuva kind 2-5K handsets; or what else? (remember big daddy Nokia)

Doesnt get more current than this... should be a great discussion...
Moi 2 cents:
The problem with Motorola goes deeper than the branding issue. Sure the brand does not still create a unique identity. But then a more serious issue is with the kind of product innovation that goes on at Motorola. Any discussion would be incomplete without talking about Nokia. So let's see what Nokia does and Motorola does not.
Nokia is lightning fast in coming out with new sets and replacing the existing ones on the shelf... It understands what the Indian "value for money" and "money for value" consumers want.. So it has products that cover the entire range...and it is able to do so effectively... It has a lot winner sets....
On the other hand Motorola has but one to speak of , the Razr... It has tried to move up from the less expensive to higher priced sets..but it has seen it market share drop from 23% to 6-7%..Samsung is now the second largest player... There was a move to differentiate itself by associating with music..but then these were value adds that were easily copied..Because this was not innovation..it was more of a design than an engineering feat....
Nokia set is a durable and easy to maintain set... thats the position for Nokia..also it's much easy to get used to and easy to sms... What does Motorola stand for?
Some other related facts:
When the semiconductor business was not doing well, it was spun-off to Freescale...
The index of Motorola actually rose when it announced that the mobile business would be seperated... surely the market had given its verdict...
too much bureaucracy in the company.. no independence.... consequently no one was ready to head the Mobile business.....
  • 3 Likes  

kya thread hai bahi. hats off to pg. everday i come across something new. and i have already been here for like a year. wow puys, you people are something.

Oh, dint know ppl still bump into this thread :)
Cool!

With almost an year in post MBA corporate life, here is a garma garam fast case:
Motorola !!
The company had all it could ask for a decade back. Strong reaping on innovation and technology front, best employer reputation and best of minds in world ready to work for it. Then it founded mobile telephony and built a huge huge futuristic shift, and then.... *silence*
Yr 2009, company is in loss, that too millions, its fallen 3rd on mobile handsets as it could never capture on its own invention whilst an unheard place in Finland produces the greatest telecom company - Nokia; which understands users and their behavior. The day Motorola says, it may split, its stock roar (bad omen); and then it finally says that it actually is!

1. Being a brand manager, what do you think Motorola has been doing wrong, esp in Indian market?
  2. Should it keep in premium market segment like Razor, or should it flood market with Moto Yuva kind 2-5K handsets; or what else? (remember big daddy Nokia)
All the best!
  • 4 Likes  

simply superb:D:D:D:D

Hi,

Can someone advise me how can I prepare for CASE Studies.....I've a GD/PI scheduled within next 15 days.......where Case Studies are asked/discussed.

Please advise me some online links, material through which I can brush up & be well prepared in-time for it ?

Any advise/tips would be really helpful for me.....

Thanx in advance !!!

Great thread guys

*bump*

Jas, where are you?

well, i looked up the Nestle website for their new launches.. looks like the Funshakes are targeted at young kids rather than teens. & the idea is to cash on to the flavoured milk drinking trend (& if its already not a trend in homes with young kids, then hoping that it will soon be). given this additional context, would now change my reponse for FunShakes category from 'No' to can't say.

Interesting Marketing case Jas_maverick... as someone said .. such a problem would require a full fledged research & analysis of the brand/category & its consumers. But we dont have anything to lose (atleast from the comfort of my sofa here). So, lemme take a wild shot at it..

One angle to think about brand extension of Milkmaid is - who are the actual buyers the traditional Milkmaid product in India thus far - Moms. Right? Or people who shop for groceries - family members. Given the traditional brand positioning of Milkmaid - which is taste, healthy, dairy product - to be used for making desserts for the entire family, extending the brand to Flavoured Yogurts is a reasonable idea. Becase fruit flavoured yogurt is something which you consume before/after a meal in India (as a snack or as a dessert itself sometimes). So, the Moms would feel comfortable in buying a Milkmaid branded yogurt for their family. However, there is a strong challenger in this category - which is Amul. & thats why I said, it requires much more exhaustive thinking than I can do after a junk dinner now.

As for Fun Shakes - I think its a clear No. Given the customer segment towards which Funshakes is targeted (Teens/Young Folks, College Goers, People on the move, Party drink) Milkmaid's brand equity wont sell. Coke's/Pepsi's would. So, taking a Minute Maid or a monster of a brand head on is not a good idea.

So, my answer is a Yes & a No.. What say.

• 1 Like  

Its a real dangerous situation to be in coz the public has accepted the brand, they know about it, attaching some words in their mind. As cryptic said, being a iconic bike manufacturer, if you make a cake decoration kit; be doubly sure the ppl will suddenly buy it, maybe only for curiousty. But only for a limited time, then the product will die but people will be confused now what Harley stands for! So final brand value is compromised.
Lets see how the sales of the new product come through. Six months should be ideal time to guage the impact i guess.

I would not call it a dangerous situation... that's stretching it a little... it's actually an opportunity....
Awesome analysis by cryptic and jas as usual.... Now moi 2 cents...
using the Harley example, the difference here is that Harley went into a totally unrelated product line - shoes and cake decorations... it was assured of a trial consumer segment because of the curiosity that it would have risen.... harley is out of reach for most, so when it came out with an affordable shoe or decoration line, people who surely want to have the "harley" experience...but soon they would compare it with other alternatives,and find that they are better off without the harley... guess harely was able to sustain the shoe consumers and not the cake ones... to me both the extensions sound illogical....
which brings us to Milkmaid..... as had been pointed out, it has been in the market for a long time,and has created a space in the consumer's mind....is not 90 years time enough to carry a company's values to newer related products...? Flavoured milk surely is related to Milkmaid and yogurt too is a perceived health food.... Traditionally in India milk is assumed to be a symbol of purity..and Nestle through Milkmaid has promised to maintain that purity... and I see both the new extensions as complentary products to the existing Milkmaid.... Nestle and Milkmaid are well known and admired barnds across the country.. so rather than trying to maintain the status quo, it becomes imperative that the company leverages on its brand and comes out with more products...In addition to this, when you look at the macro environment, you see that the consumer is moving to a healthier product... Amul flavoured milk, Tropicana from Pepsi, Minute Maid from Coke... now given a choice of Neslte Milkmaid flavoured Milk VS Minute Main from Coca Cola, which one would you choose???
If we say that this is a bad idea, then we would never have had Maggi Tomato Sauce, and the only product under the Maggi brand would have been the 2 minute noodles....:wow:
  • 1 Like  

Jas thanks for the note.. and thanks for pointing out the mistake ..:) I meant 90 yrs but instead ended up writing 1990....my bad...

Cheers

Rosh

ok.
If I've inderstood the concept right, then it is obviously a good idea to launch milkmaid fruit drinks or whatever..
because milkmaid is very well known quality brand. & it has been successful since long time. But condensed milk may not be the product that everyone buys frequently. where as fruit drink or yoghurt is sumthing that will catch attention & willl be consumed faster. & having brand name of milkmaid will only boost the sales of their new products. SO acc to me its definitely not a wrong step!
correct me if I am wrong..
oh! and @ jas_maverik gr8 thread!!
As has been confirmed by Cryptic Thunder in post just above, i agree what you suggest is a very short term gain strategy. Accoring to this strategy, you may say that having a prior brand name to be used as a thrust is always a welcome idea. but beware, you are also changing the mental associations of Milkmaid here. When we are using the brand name, we essentially see that after about the period of 3-4 years two things should have happened for sure, the new product should have leveraged positively from the brand name present in market and secondly the final sale revenue of all products under brand name should be more than what would have been individually, had a new brand name been taken.
Its a real dangerous situation to be in coz the public has accepted the brand, they know about it, attaching some words in their mind. As cryptic said, being a iconic bike manufacturer, if you make a cake decoration kit; be doubly sure the ppl will suddenly buy it, maybe only for curiousty. But only for a limited time, then the product will die but people will be confused now what Harley stands for! So final brand value is compromised.
Lets see how the sales of the new product come through. Six months should be ideal time to guage the impact i guess.

and Cryptic, Milmaid came 90 yrs ago, not in 1990 Hence it surely has a strong cementing in Indian mind :)

And am interested in that ROCKR story, can u elaborate it for me in pvt post?
This is an interesting case which sounds more like a bread and butter story for FMCG marketers. Im sure they have their own views. Me being a marketer/sales person and strategist in the professional services industry, Im going to observe past brand extension cases spanning a few industries, to try and analyze whether a Brand Extension of the good old Milk Maid brand, would do good for the new products being sold under the brand name. This critique is biased towards the brand and not sales figures; helping zone in on the theme of Brand Extension.
The Milkmaid Brand
To the general public in India, it is probably right to assume that, the Milk Maid Brand is synonymous with tasty and sweet, partly skimmed, milk that they could use not only for their coffee and tea but also in the kitchen to whip up some sumptuous desserts. Well know throughout the Indian household and priced right, it would be fair to say that Nestle has promoted its product well. This fact is reaffirmed considering the product was launched in 1990 along with Nestle and it is still going strong. 17 going on 18, it is almost evident that the product Milk Maid has been cemented in the Indian mind for close to two decades.
Brand Extension Past Cases is there a possible trend?
A two pronged question arises:
Would launching a yoghurt and fruit juice under the Milkmaid brand deter or enhance the Milkmaid brand? and
(Assuming the products are launched) Would launching it under the brand do justice to the products both in the short-term and long-term?
To answer these questions lets take a look at a few examples across various sectors to understand Brand Extension. Harley Davidson a few years back was awarded the worst Brand Extension they decided to come out with a cake-decorating kit and had associated with bakeries all over as distribution centers. This ended in disaster. However, they won best brand extension a few years prior for developing the footwear line extension. Cake - decorating kit from Harley Davidson? The cake decorating kit we all agree was a no-brainer. However surprisingly there are a large number of cases where there was a high probability of success for a product launched as a brand extension that in the long term fell very short of expectation. A good example would be the Motorola ROKR phone. Motorola predicted a smashing success of the phone on its launch but what ended up happening was that RAZR, its other popular model, saw soars in sales at the launch of ROKR. Observing these trends clearly indicates that success of Brand Extension depend on several tangible and intangible factors (I will not be discussing these factors for fear of this explanation turning into a book J).
The Indian Market Place and the Milkmaid Identity

The Indian market place today is thronged by similar goods competing for a share of the ever growing market place. Some would argue that launching a yoghurt and fruit juice under the Milkmaid brand would help the products leverage of the brand popularity and thereby increase sales. While this is true to some extent the view is short sighted. The question to be asked here is whether or not this approach is sustainable and if this approach is adopted could it lead to the deterioration of the Milkmaid brand in the long run, thus resulting in the Brand losing its exclusivity. It is probably worthwhile to note that whether a brand extension makes sense or not doesnt necessarily translate into the product doing well in the market. An initial soar in sales volumes need not imply that it is good for a brand in the long term. Another point to note is that a product launched under a Brand extension need not necessarily cater to the same target market as that of the main brand. This means a thorough study of the market needs to be carried out which involves a cause-effect study (Cause: Launching a product under specific brand Effect: What effect will the cause have on the market place). This would give insights into how the particular product would do.
Advantages/ Disadvantages of launching the yoghurt and juice under the Milk Maid Brand
So lets boil this down to the possible evident advantages and disadvantages of releasing the products under the Milkmaid name:
Advantages:
Instant brand recognition leveraging off the already strong Milkmaid brand.
Strong likely hood of high sales volumes upon release provided an effective advertising campaign is/has been implemented.
Disadvantages:
Long term damage to the Brand
Deterioration of sales volumes in the long run
Loss of Milkmaid exclusivity.
Is it the best choice?
So is the launch of the two products under the Milkmaid brand the best choice? In my opinion, as outlined by my supporting arguments above, the possibility of the long term deterioration of the brand far by outweighs the benefit of short term financial gain. In my opinion the launch might not be very successful. However, savvy advertising based on specific strategic goals to protect the overall Milkmaid brand could help the successful co-existence of all products.

Looking forward to your comments.

Regards,

Rosh
  • 2 Likes  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

75 people follow this discussion.