PaGaLGuY Prepathon Mock CATs

Download the FREE PaGaLGuY Prepathon app to join in the free test series that start on Sept 13th.
The app is used by over 50,000+ students

About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Jeffrey Alapatt @strongbow

Tags

Prospects after MBA with long work experience

Hi, I am posting this to find out what are the prospects for someone who is looking to do a full-time MBA after 10 years of work experience. Note that I am only looking for programs like the PGP-X offered by IIMs, GMP by XLRI and the ISB MBA. ...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 1 of 2   

Hi all,

Currently i am doing MBA(first year) and i have planned to do my majors in FINANCE. In my graduation i have done engineering after that i have 2+ years work experience.
Can anyone tell me about the perspective career in PSU after doing MBA in Finance, like in which companies i can apply for and what is required knowledge i need to have??
I would be highly grateful and thankful.
Thanks in advance

I am a software professional with 5+ years of work experience..I am reaching a stagnation point in my current role as developer...I want to switch my role but not my domain. I want to continue in the IT industry but as a business analyst...I am thinking of going for MBA. Given my situation should I go for a one year full time executive MBA or a two years full time regular MBA? I have heard that with my level of work experience I should only target the top b-schools in India. I am thinking of appearing for major exams in 2014 like CAT, XAT, GMAT etc. But by the time the results for these b-schools are out and GD/PIs are over I will have a total experience of 6+ years. Does any b-schools in india accept a candidate with so much work ex? Will I have problems during placements? I do not have the finance to look for b-schools abroad. I have also heard that working professionals with 2 to 3 years experience are preferred in most b-schools. Is my decision to go for an MBA itself a right one? I am in a very big dilemma. Please advice

MICA Memoirs touches upon the dilemma of a Long-distance MBA:

http://mica.mbas.in/going-the-distance-long-distance-mba/

Long distance vs. Full Time?

what MICA Memoirs says:

http://mica.mbas.in/when-is-long-distance-mba-a-good-option/

You can search for the full time MBA programs to get master degree in the interested branch. Its all necessary details are available to know.

I am Sanjai and i have 4.5 yrs of technical exp in an Fortune 500 IT company. i have an MS as well. Coding is kind of my hobby since childhood. when it paid me living; life is awesome.

But, i need MBA to acquire a more responsible , leadership oriented and devoted posting in a better company. I am the top analyst in all teams i have worked in.

Closing to 5 years experience, i am really confused which MBA would suit me. More importantly, is it wise to do MBA this point with technical background? Also, is it like doing an MBA full time after 5 yrs will reset my career again?

For Energy and Infrastructure (Oil and Gas domain) EMBA courses; School of Petroleum Management (SPM) offers 15-months full-time residential programme at its Gandhinagar campus under Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU) (Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University) set up by GSPC (GSPC Group :: Energy for Growth ::).

Interested executives need to have a 5+ years of work experience after graduation.

Admissions through Interviews only; for specific details you may visit: School of Petroleum Management

- abhiktushardas
(EMBA-10 / SPM@PDPU)

LinkedIn group: PDPU SPM Exec-MBA (Oil n Gas)

(PDPU SPM Exec-MBA (Oil n Gas) LinkedIn)

Mail us on: spm_pdpu_emba10@googlegroups.com

Visit us on: EMBA-SPM/PDPU Google Groups

@abhiktushardas

I has recently completed my b.b.a, and know i want to go for mba.
My question is that i have a family business and i want to join that, can i show this work experience in good mba colleges?????

Hi Raj! Have you started your MBA programme? Which institute? What prospects you find now. I have around 17 years of experience and working at a senior level and considering pursuing Executive MBA from INSEAD/NUS/ISB for career progression. Your advice will be valuable.
Regards

Hi

I am an engineer with 16 yrs of work ex & work in a major Telco . I have also done my Ex MBA. I has taken me a long time to save money for my US MBA degree.

I want to persue my MBA in Europe / US. Broadly I would like to move to consulting role in my industry after my MBA.

I plan to pass out in 2010. I am studying for last 15 - 20 days & my test scores are about 650. I don't think I will clock > 700 in actual GMAT ( planned Aug 08 )

Which all colleges should I target ? Which all colleges would reject me straight away ? Which all collges would give value to my Ex MBA. I am looking at LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, Cambridge & Cornell.

Please advice how realistic are my chances to make it.

Hey, have you considered the Sloan Master's offered by London Business School? It is a 1 year general management programme for Senior Management professionals.
Though it is not an "MBA", I believe it would be a good fit for somebody with your level of experience.

LBS Sloan Masters: Sloan Fellowship MSc: London Business School, Programmes - London experience. World impact. Sloan Fellows. One year MBA program. london business School ( LBS or lbs )

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

15 people follow this discussion.