About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Monil Ruparel @reachmonil

Tags

Phoren B-school Assistance Desk

Hie guys, We are starting this thread to _*cater to any generic queries related to B-schools abroad*_. You will also have veterans answer to your queries out here on the thread. Also, merging all relevant threads with this one. * * G...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 6 of 546   

Hello all, I stay in Dubai and have approx. 10 yrs work exp. I am in the field of advertising & digital media. I want to know more about the Exec MBA program in London Business School Dubai campus. I attended an introductory session in the campus and was quite impressive. They say that the curriculum is exactly at par with the London campus. Need your guidance please. The fees for the 20 month program is 95K USD and hence the request for your guidance.

• 15 Comments
  • Thanks a lot Csquare. Do they have placements by any chan.... 19 Jul '13.
  • @satydg4u yes , it does carry the same weightage as the L.... 19 Jul '13.
satydg4u
satrajit duttagupta @satydg4u 8
Thanks a lot Csquare. Do they have placements by any chance? Also what about scholarships, considering their course fees is a little too steep ? They do have a few classes in the London campus as per their curriculum.
CsquareLearnings
Csquare Learnings @CsquareLearnings 44
@satydg4u yes , it does carry the same weightage as the LBS London Campus no doubt abt it... it is just that you miss London Experience, other the Course, its delivery methodology and other aspects remain the same. - Hope this helps.

Hi guys i just took my GMAT today and i have got a scrore of 720 . (Q49 and V39) . This was my first attempt . I have only around 1 year and 4 months of experience . My BE marks is not too good either as I have only 68% and a history of arears of 12 attempts. Should I try for a B-school and if so which ones and which country would you suggest?

• 6 Comments
  • @ivyctor2010 thanks a lot man. To answere your question I.... 18 Jul '13.
  • @karthik.velu First of all congratulations on a great .... 18 Jul '13.
karthik.velu
Karthik Velu @karthik.velu 1,005
@ivyctor2010 thanks a lot man. To answere your question Ideally i would want to do an MBA related to finance and get myslef a job in the financial sector; As far as where I would like to do I haven't decided (Any place that will give me a good opportunity) . I have 1 years and 4 months experience as a Program Analyst in Cognizant( jan 2012 to may 2013). I recently quit this job since the work pressure was getting too much for me Ideally I would like to join MBA straight away However i know in most place 1 year and 4 months experience is not considered enough could you give me some suggestion. I was thinking of trying to get a job in Govt. bank as this will be useful experience for me and then apply for MBA after two years
ivyctor2010
ivyctor 2010 @ivyctor2010 920
@karthik.velu
First of all congratulations on a great score. Forget all your concerns about low BE marks, that is no longer a factor.
Now, there are 100s of B-schools around the world which accept a GMAT score, so before I suggest schools to you I would want to know your goals, in terms of:
1) Post-MBA industry,
2) Post-MBA job function
3) Where do you wish to do your MBA from?
4) A brief about your professional background

HiApart from MBA what all master's degree one can look for in finance, Which dosent require work experience or atleast is not mandatory. Also gives job placement. Location- US.I have heard programs called MIM(masters is management) or Young leaders Program(YLP). So does all university's offer these programs?

• 5 Comments
  • @naga13 Hi, there are some good programs where in you can.... 23 Jul '13.
  • @naga13 If you are looking specifically at finance then o.... 09 Jul '13.
askrohan
Rohan kumar @askrohan 60
@naga13 Hi, there are some good programs where in you can apply as fresher in US. Can you tell me more about your profile so that I can help you on this.
RPI_Lally
RPI Admissions @RPI_Lally 40
@naga13 If you are looking specifically at finance then one program you could look at is MS Financial Engineering & Risk Analytics, one year program, which is offered by RPI - Lally School. Want to mention here that this course is STEM Accredited, giving additional benefit to students. And work ex is not mandatory for enrolling in this course.
Let us know if you need any more help (pm or comment)
Admissions - RPI - Lally Schoolf Of Management & Technology

www.lallyschool.rpi.edu/academics/mba.html...

Hi

I am planning to give GMAT in August. I have a work ex of 3years. I am currently pursuing actuarial science. I want to do one year MBA. I have been able to narrow down to one college i.e. ISB. But i am still not able to decide on which colleges to apply abroad. Please guide me on the same.

• 4 Comments
  • Dear @alankrita.1 , You have 3 years of experience and yo.... 07 Jul '13.
  • @alankrita.1 What are your post MBA goals in terms of pos.... 07 Jul '13.
Unoeducation.in
MentorStone.com Education @Unoeducation.in 50
Dear @alankrita.1 , You have 3 years of experience and you wish to pursue 1 year MBA? Please note that most 1 year MBA programs are executive MBA programs outside India. And you may not be eligible for these programs with mere 3 years of experience. You may instead go for 1.5 year long MBA programs which also offer you opportunity to intern , which, in turn helps you in getting placed post-MBA. University selection depends on your post- MBA goals, your location preference, your MBA budget and your GMAT score/profile. In absence of more details on your profile/preference it is difficult to shortlist schools for you. Please share more info on your acheivements, extra currics.
ivyctor2010
@alankrita.1 What are your post MBA goals in terms of post-MBA industry and function you wish to work in? These parameters will help us narrow down the choices for you.

A good read for all those who are considering Supply Chain as their future career:

RPI - Lally School Admissions - lallyschool.rpi.edu/index.html  

Hi guys.

Im a final year student from MIT Manipal ( Oh darn ) pursuing CSE, graduating in 2014 . As my username suggests, im in the lower 7s. On my marksheets you will find a whole of lot of Es.

Academically Im doomed.

That said, for the past two years I have been working with my startups.
I am heavily into entrepreneurship having setup an entirely student-run IT & Social media services startup clocking in big venture funded startups as clients as well Tata Sky ( my biggest client so far ).

My second venture is a 3D Printer manufacturing and rapid prototyping firm which has been operating for the past 6 months and well, I think Ill be really rich soon. Both my firms are now Pvt. Ltd. companies and I have established a good reputation within the entrepreneurial and technology sector.

I have also interned at a consultancy for two months ( big 4 ) and have learnt quite extensively.

I am engaging myself with another really big idea backed by really big names and will be working with that for the next two years and hopefully will be partnering with b-schools for the same.

That said, do you think this can overshadow my 7?

I really want to get into a top10 institute with a focus on entrepreneurship. My list:
1. Wharton

2. Harvard
3. Stanford ( For obvious reasons )
4. Kellogg
5. Booth
  • 14 Comments
  • @lowgpa101 Yes, you would be compared with pool of applic.... 05 Jul '13.
  • Thanks a lot :smiley: But isnt it a mandate to be br.... 05 Jul '13.
ivyctor2010
@lowgpa101 Yes, you would be compared with pool of applicants who are already established entrepreneurs and with that baseline other factors such as Academics, goal clarity will come into picture. Which is why top 30 B-schools in US and Europe would be equally competitive for you. It's tough but not impossible, well written essays, excellent GMAT score and well thought out applications will sail you through.
lowgpa101
Arpan Das @lowgpa101 1
Thanks a lot
But isnt it a mandate to be brilliant academically to get admitted to the Ivys?

Hello!
I am pursuing B.tech from NIT Kurukshetra in Information Technology. I will graduate in June,2014. My acads have been pretty impressive till now with more than 80% in each of 10th,12th and college. I want to make a career in finance. I plan to sit for CFA level one in June next year and to get into a IVY league B-school for my MBA in finance. I plan to complete my CFA in the next four years. However, my curriculars are quite pathetic as of now. Ideally, I would like to work for a company like Future First or a finance start up to gain valuable experience in the industry. But given the kind of opportunities I have through campus placements, I will most probably end up in an IT job. I want to build my resume from now on to strengthen and bolster my chances of making it to an IVY league B school. Suggestions please. Stuff like which kind of company and industry should I try to gain experience in before I apply for a MBA program, say four years from now.

Thanks!

• 8 Comments
  • Thanks! I mentioned that my acads are pretty good. You .... 04 Jul '13.
  • @gooner82 A very strong gmat and your CFA would help you .... 04 Jul '13.
gooner82
Gooner 82 @gooner82 6
Thanks!
I mentioned that my acads are pretty good. You misinterpreted it maybe. And can you be a little specific in extra curricular's? As in leadership,social work etc? I mean I can join a NGO. But I won't be able to be fully involved in it which actually defeats the very purpose of joining a NGO in first place.
RPI_Lally
RPI Admissions @RPI_Lally 40
@gooner82 A very strong gmat and your CFA would help you to cover your acads criteria. Other than that MBA is all about weaving together a good story which you could tell to the adcoms and then to your prospective employers. Look into the future and visualize where you want to be and then estimate how would MBA help you to get there. If you are able to do this correctly, then your dream school would not be far. Also an Ivy would want you to have some extra curricular's, research it and plan accordingly.
Admisisons - RPI - Lally School Of Management & Technology

@Rajeshmutreja14

Hey guyz, I gave CAT12 and got 99 percentile but didnt get through any college of my choice due to multiple factors:- avg acads(74,76,74), bad PI/WAT and applied to less colleges etc. So i am planning for CAT13 and though I don't have much knowledge on MBA abroad i thinking to give GMAT also so wanted to know which are good colleges, what will be a good GMAT score , may be a list of colleges will do to start off.

My interest is in marketing or finance profile. Thanks in advance.

@Rajeshmutreja14 Rajeshmutreja, I would strongly advise you to take GMAT and get a place in a B-school abroad. You took CAT , got a good percentile but couldnt make it last time. If you want to get an MBA from India - IIMs are undoubtedly one of the best options for you..However, please get statistics from IIM grads - How many of them get placed internationally? A small proportion of IIM grads get international placements. Assuming u want an international career post-MBA, be forward-looking - take GMAT and get into a good B-school abroad. You wont regret if u select right B-schools and budget ur education. Regarding GMAT score - anything above 700 is good for you, rest depends on how well u present ur application. Let me know if u have further queries.

Mentorstone www.mentorstone.com 

Hey guyz, I gave CAT12 and got 99 percentile but didnt get through any college of my choice due to multiple factors:- avg acads(74,76,74), bad PI/WAT and applied to less colleges etc. So i am planning for CAT13 and though I don't have much knowledge on MBA abroad i thinking to give GMAT also so wanted to know which are good colleges, what will be a good GMAT score , may be a list of colleges will do to start off.

My interest is in marketing or finance profile. Thanks in advance.
  • yes it wont be very difficult to score 700+ for you..just.... 27 Jun '13.
  • Hi, go through some rankings- you will have a comprehensi.... 26 Jun '13.
This time its me against my fate....
naga13
navin seth @naga13 22
yes it wont be very difficult to score 700+ for you..just login to www.mba.com download free gmat mock and test yourself.
mba-help
MBA Decoder @mba-help 1,645
Hi, go through some rankings- you will have a comprehensive list of b-schools to start with, and then you can check out individual b-school websites.

rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-ranking-2013...

www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/...

Being an Indian candidate, you will still have tough competition with your Indian brethren
. Aim for a 700+. Unlike entrance through the CAT, where only the score is important, when you apply to b-schools that accept GMAT, you will also need to demonstrate an overall compelling personality (good at profession, extra-curriculars and in every thing else).

Namita, MBA Decoder

Hi Kindly evaluate my profile..

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?

After my schooling (2005)i joined my family garment business.We have a small showroom and we get our products from different states of india through our staff. The business was established in 1995, though its not a large scale but i wish to expand it.My work profile-Multiple work profile, it really difficult the content it in words but starting fromcleaning my work station to dealing with clients in terms of showing them our product to coordinating with our agents to get the product on time to working on accounts on daily basis and making a balance sheet quaterly.But since its a small scale business i am afraid that adcom might not consider it.

2) Your GMAT.

Mocks- 720 ( have not taken it yet)

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.

Bachelor in commerce through distance learning from university of Delhi Tier1( 43%) completed in 2009.For this degree it was really difficult the get a good score and the topper of the university got 62%.

Graduation repeated in Bachelor in commerce through distance learning from Tier 3 university 73% & completed in 2012.Had to repeat it since i was not eligible to take any indian mba entrances, moreover i knew the my earlier scores were not a reflector of my potentials.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

Diploma in Aviation and hospitality from Edexel University 2010 (18 months duration)

Diploma in Theater 2007.

Certified First Aider.Certificate in English from BBC UK.

Certified in Galileo and Fideleo( Programs very known in Aviation and hospitality).

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.

Though i do have a plan to go for CFA.

6) Your target programs.

MBA in Finance

MS in Finance

MS in Economics

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13

R1 for Fall 2014.

8) Your post-MBA goal.

Getting a good exposure in international market for around 5 years and then expanding my business and taking it to another level(Have a plan to have chain of big showrooms).

Thanks and appreciate your help.

• 4 Comments
  • @ivyctor2010 I want to target top 20 to top30 us bschools.... 13 Jun '13.
  • @naga13 Professional experience in garment business, dip.... 13 Jun '13.
naga13
navin seth @naga13 22
@ivyctor2010 I want to target top 20 to top30 us bschools and need scholarship as well.
ivyctor2010
@naga13

Professional experience in garment business, diploma in Aviation industry and goals to enter Finance programs, not very strong career connects here. You have a lot of convincing to be done in your essays and SOPs, which is not impossible but tough. First step for you would be to start thinking about your app story and make it a coherent and logical one:

Where are you --> Why are you here --> Where do you want to be and why --> How will an MBA help you in getting there

This is crucial because coming accross as an individual who is hazy about his goals is the last thing you would want to do. For example how MS in Finance will help you in achieving your entrepreneurial goal of opening showroom chains? Why the degree in aviation, how does it aid your career? Do you have names of your target schools in mind?

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

2068 people follow this discussion.