About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Monil Ruparel @reachmonil

Tags

Phoren B-school Assistance Desk

Hie guys, We are starting this thread to _*cater to any generic queries related to B-schools abroad*_. You will also have veterans answer to your queries out here on the thread. Also, merging all relevant threads with this one. * * G...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 51 of 364   

Hi,

I have certain queries.Need some advice from all ya kind ppl around :cheerio:

I have got offers from Nottingham Business School (UK), Rouen Business school (France). I am waiting for EMYLON business school (France) post interview result & got an interview call from Strathclyde Business School (Glasgow).

I am very much interested in joining EMYLON (if I am able to make it) .However, if in case I am unable to convert it, where should I go?

I am confused between going to Nottingham Business School / Strathclyde ( if i am able to convert the call ) - UK and going to Rouen Business School - France. After the new Visa rules in UK, things have changed now.Not sure whether I will even get a job in UK because of new stringent laws.

I have no issues with studying in UK or France. Would you advice studying in Nottingham Business School / Strathclyde or should I go for France? But how good is the Rouen Business School? Everything about the school actually looks good. Over 100 companies visit the school for recruitment. But still is it worth going to the school?

Thanks ,

Sachin

Hi Guys!

Been researching about MBA for a while now, but the confusion still prevails.
My doubts are very elemental and most of the old-timers here might have ready answers for them.

Q1. Whether the time is right for an MBA!!!
My Profile is like this:
Class X - 84%
Class XII - 76%
Grad - BE (Mech), SJCE Mysore (Under VUT, Belgaum) - 76%
Work Ex - ~7 yrs as Asst. Manager (5.3 yr in Shipbuilding Proj Mgt+Design and 1.5 yrs in BD Oil & Gas). All in India. Shipbuilding part of exp. in strategic defense projects for Indian Navy.
Heaps of extra-curricular activities all throughout. Was also a district level TT player during school.

Q2. MBA from top 5 B-schools in India or MBA from abroad?
My target post MBA is middle to senior level position in corporate strategies or Proj Mgt domain in companies dealing with mechanical products/services or in management consultancy. Also open to IT industry, as a second choice. With this, should a B School within India be targeted or going abroad is worth.

Q3. What colleges can be targeted with a GMAT score of 650-720?
Q4. What would be an average spend for a good B-School in India and a similar one abroad?
Q5. Any tips on how to go about the GMAT exam. Considering that I start working on it from today?

Looking forward to your replies.

Regards
Sunil

Hi Sunil,

1) From a selection point of view, yes, you seem to have decent work exp. to be eligible for an MBA. Now the choice is completely your if you feel that this time is apt for you or not. Good profile I must say :)

2) Going abroad provides international exposure which no Indian school can match, not even ISB. But yes, any foreign school adds to the burden on your pockets. In my (personal) opinion, you are too experienced for a traditional IIM programme (PGDM i mean). And an exec MBA or an MBA from ISB would cost close to 25 lakh or more if I include living and other expenses. A 1 year MBA from abroad would cost you close to 15 lakh more. Now you can choose if international exposure is important for you or not.

3) If you have a score above 680, you can target any college you want. But given the high competition from India, I would recommend you target AT LEAST 700. The more the merrier.

4) Answered above :)

5) There are other threads that speak about it. Just search PG and you would find gazillions of resources.
  • 1 Like  
Go Global with ISBR Global PGDM – AICTE Approved

Advantages

- AICTE Approved

- Excellent ROI with cent% placement

- Experience 3 different countries

- Ranked No. 1 New Generation B-Schools of India

- Affordable Fee

Know More

ISBR Edge

- 23 years of excellence

- Located in Bangalore

- Highest Salary offered: 28 Lakh p.a.

- Received Exemplary Placement Award 2014

Download Fee Sructure
Hey guys,

I m new to this forum and was going through this post. This is really great. Many people have got their answers. I also want to put the most common question. Do I stand a change ?

Well my profile goes like:
GMAT : 600 (pretty low )
X: 77 %
XII : 82 % PCM
ECE Engineering : 70 %
5.5 yrs IT exp with companies like IBM and Accenture.
Extra Act : National Level winner for Shot put (but that was 6-7 years back, n I hve not continued that)
Painter and photogropher (Have done few exhibitions)
Working with an NGO for 8 years
Internation Exposure (UK, SPAIN, France, Italy, ..etc)

1) With such a GMat score and profile, Do i stand a chance in Oxford(Said Business school). Has oxford ever taken such low score or should i retake the GMAT ?

2) I had applied to IE, they had told me if they like my application they would ask me to give the IE exam. But unfortunately i was not shortlisted. My application was more Art centric. Do you think and art and IT dont go well and they give as if its a fake profile ?

Your replies would really be valuable ...

Thanks,
Hmittal

hey Mr. Mittal,

You seem to have a well-rounded profile, but I do hope that you do realize that ur GMAT score is below par. I am an Oxford admit this year, and I know that people do make it thru at such scores too... but they are very few... plz check the Oxford MBA website to see what the median scores are. And I would recommend re-writing GMAT and targeting a score of ~700. Nothing flashy like 770 or so, 700+ should help you.

And your thoughts about fake profile etc are incorrect. Colleges make no such assumptions. It is upto us to create a story between our past (education and professional) and our future (ambitions, goals, roles)... just focus on it. And yes, again, having a low GMAT score hampers your chance as it spoils your acads...
  • 1 Like  

Hey guys,

I m new to this forum and was going through this post. This is really great. Many people have got their answers. I also want to put the most common question. Do I stand a change ?

Well my profile goes like:
GMAT : 600 (pretty low )
X: 77 %
XII : 82 % PCM
ECE Engineering : 70 %
5.5 yrs IT exp with companies like IBM and Accenture.
Extra Act : National Level winner for Shot put (but that was 6-7 years back, n I hve not continued that)
Painter and photogropher (Have done few exhibitions)
Working with an NGO for 8 years
Internation Exposure (UK, SPAIN, France, Italy, ..etc)

1) With such a GMat score and profile, Do i stand a chance in Oxford(Said Business school). Has oxford ever taken such low score or should i retake the GMAT ?

2) I had applied to IE, they had told me if they like my application they would ask me to give the IE exam. But unfortunately i was not shortlisted. My application was more Art centric. Do you think and art and IT dont go well and they give as if its a fake profile ?

Your replies would really be valuable ...

Thanks,
Hmittal

Hi Guys!

Been researching about MBA for a while now, but the confusion still prevails.
My doubts are very elemental and most of the old-timers here might have ready answers for them.

Q1. Whether the time is right for an MBA!!!
My Profile is like this:
Class X - 84%
Class XII - 76%
Grad - BE (Mech), SJCE Mysore (Under VUT, Belgaum) - 76%
Work Ex - ~7 yrs as Asst. Manager (5.3 yr in Shipbuilding Proj Mgt+Design and 1.5 yrs in BD Oil & Gas). All in India. Shipbuilding part of exp. in strategic defense projects for Indian Navy.
Heaps of extra-curricular activities all throughout. Was also a district level TT player during school.

Q2. MBA from top 5 B-schools in India or MBA from abroad?
My target post MBA is middle to senior level position in corporate strategies or Proj Mgt domain in companies dealing with mechanical products/services or in management consultancy. Also open to IT industry, as a second choice. With this, should a B School within India be targeted or going abroad is worth.

Q3. What colleges can be targeted with a GMAT score of 650-720?
Q4. What would be an average spend for a good B-School in India and a similar one abroad?
Q5. Any tips on how to go about the GMAT exam. Considering that I start working on it from today?

Looking forward to your replies.

Regards
Sunil

hey ,
i had a query about mba abroad , if u can help ..............

are there any good colleges out side india
provinding mba without work exp as minimum eligibilty critearia
and which are not in the U.S. or Canada.........

1. There are many much better colleges outside India
2. Very Very few good programs, mostly masters in Management and not MBA
3. Europe is good too. Check out the post above for more info on current status in europe

hey ,
i had a query about mba abroad , if u can help ..............

are there any good colleges out side india
provinding mba without work exp as minimum eligibilty critearia
and which are not in the U.S. or Canada.........

Hi guys,

I am looking to pursue my MBA from Europe in particular, I have rounded these two school which comes into my budget and good credentials. I have gone through their website, met in person(Rouen only) and checked out pagalguy also. But could not find enough to set my target. If any of you guys know any details about these school pl do share.

I would really appreciate if your highlight or shed light on the any of the following:

. How is the program overall?
. What will be living expenditure?
. How is the corporate link with the schools?
. How is the post MBA scenario?

looking forward to your replys

Freakyraga

Dude,

Which two universities are you talking about? Whatever you select, post MBA opportunities in Europe is generally sucks. UK govt announced job cuts in lakhs. Most of Europe is soon to follow. Post MBA, getting a work VISA is also tough, very tough. The slightest infraction will make you ineligible for a longer VISA.

However, there are two places in Europe where there is still stimulus in the economy - Switzerland and Belgium. There are a couple of good universities there and both countries have excellent immigration stats.

Hope this helps,
Abhijith
  • 1 Like  

could sumone guide..
how is healthcare management course in foreign..

as this is not that gud in india??

Hi,

I am planning to do FT MBA from katz,pittsburgh or Texas A&M.; I am currently working as an operations head in a manufacturing facility and would prefer a similar profile post MBA. Please suggest me the better school in terms of post MBA jobs.

Look forward to hear from you soon.

Ashrut

Hi,

I am planning to do FT MBA from katz,pittsburgh or Texas A&M.; I am currently working as an operations head in a manufacturing facility and would prefer a similar profile post MBA. Please suggest me the better school.

Look forward to hear from you soon.

Ashrut

Hi guys,

I am looking to pursue my MBA from Europe in particular, I have rounded these two school which comes into my budget and good credentials. I have gone through their website, met in person(Rouen only) and checked out pagalguy also. But could not find enough to set my target. If any of you guys know any details about these school pl do share.

I would really appreciate if your highlight or shed light on the any of the following:

. How is the program overall?
. What will be living expenditure?
. How is the corporate link with the schools?
. How is the post MBA scenario?

looking forward to your replys

Freakyraga

HI!!!!

I need assistance about the Bradford full time MBA and the ESSEC MBA in hospitality mgmt..?????

Knidly assist...

Hi,
I have 13+ years of experience in IT industry in India (TCS and HCL). I plan to do my MBA now to further my career in IT sector. I took GMAT and got an not so impressive 620. What are the schools I should apply to. Iam planning for a fall admission.
Would you suggest Mannheim Business School?

I would look at the average age/WE at the school. I think fit is quite important.

Hey trader,

Thats an excellent input. If that is the case, I think I should wait for the other school's decision and go for the visa interview once and for all. Otherwise, it ll get complicated. The problem is the new school(if admitted) ll send the i20 by may end or somethin. Would i be late for the visa process?

Regards
Ashrut

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

1881 people follow this discussion.