Free Question Bank – PaGaLGuY's Prepathon

Includes Daily Quizzes, GK updates and Mock Tests!
For CAT, IBPS, SSC-CGL and more!

About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Monil Ruparel @reachmonil

Tags

Phoren B-school Assistance Desk

Hie guys, We are starting this thread to _*cater to any generic queries related to B-schools abroad*_. You will also have veterans answer to your queries out here on the thread. Also, merging all relevant threads with this one. * * G...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 26 of 546   

i have a conditional offer from manchester business school , cass business school and awaiting result from ucl.
for a degree of msc in financial mathematics. am confused about the real worth of the degree as in india an msc of 1 year is not given much of a preference. so is it worth going for it ?

Thanks a lot Bharath!
This is the US News Ranking. I was wondering if there is a similar Finance specific MBA Ranking from FT also since you mentioned FT earlier.

I remember seeing it in FT but i cant find it now. They had rankings based on specialization like Marketing, SCM, Finance etc.

Bharath
  • 1 Like  
rohitsaxena00 Says
Hi bharath - I searched FT. i couldnt find a Finance specific ranking. That was for MS in Finance. Am i missing something here ? Can you point me towards the link for Finance specific MBA Rankings.

Heres a link
Best Finance Programs Top Business Schools US News Best Graduate Schools

Thanks,
Bharath
  • 1 Like  
Hi ,

To start with, my profile:-
X - 70%
XII - 70%
B.Tech (C.S) - 67% from an average engineering college (NOT IIT/NIT)

I'm planning to apply for US MBA programs starting Fall 2013.

It would be great if you could answer my following queries:-

1.) I passed out BE in 2008 - then because of recession I waited at home for 1 year for my IT company to give me joining and started working in Oct 2009. I did not work anywhere for this duration of 1 year, but I can get some work ex certificates from my friends business, which would add 1 year of work-ex to my profile which wud otherwise be left blank - Do you suggest I should do this ?

2.) When we apply to US programs, do they consider work ex duration until the time when we are applying for the course OR until the time I will start the course.

3.) Is the formula by which they calculate the GPA publicly available ?

4.) I have the list of top MBA programs is US, but can some one point me towards a list of Top Finance MBA programs in US?

5.) Are X and XII marks considered while admissions ? I mean do we have to mention them anywhere during the App Process?

6.) Is my profile, per se, good enough to earn a scholarship if I get a decent GMAT score? or should i completely forget that with my poor X,XII and Engg scores and also the normal IT exp?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Hi Rohit,

There isnt a definite answer to any of your question

1) I do not think that an additional years worth of work-ex will make a difference. You have 3 years and that should be good. They are not going to ask you to explain the gap (if its a tough interview, they might and even if they do you have a good justification)

2) Varies from 1 program to another. some want you to mention the work ex till the time you join while others till a specified date (like end of April)

3) some programs have it in their application website.

4) Check financial times, they have breakup by specialization

5) I have not mentioned them in any of my applications. They just ask for undergraduate marks.

6) I have a GMAT of 650 and i have got great scholarships from every college i got an admit from. So basically it depends on how good you present yourself (in the essays, interviews etc).

Regards,
Bharath
  • 1 Like  
  • 1 Like  

Thanks Arun. Can u give me some links for the relevant threads.

HI everyone,
I have a query,
Tell me which University is better for MBA finance:
Umass Dartmouth
Dallas Baptist University
University of Bridgeport

Kindly tell me which one is better.

Hi....

-- Name :: Animesh Chaudhary
-- Education :: B. Tech, Chem. Engg., IIT Bombay -- with avg. or not so good CPI of : approx. 6.8
-- Work exp. :: 5 yrs as on Jun 2012. In a small indian company. Involved in Product design & development, QC - raw material and finished product, Production, vendor development, taking care of technical queries and issues with product, partially in marketing and ISO implementation. (initially involved in civil work and erection of the greenfield project).
-- GMAT - in Mar 2012. Score - 750 (41 - verb, 50 - quant, 6 in AWA).

Want to go for MBA abroad in fall session 2013 - focus on attaining all round competence required for starting a new business and running existing business. Tentative (not sure) focus areas during -- Entrepreneurship, finance, operations.

Need inputs on all aspects, viz. selection of B-School, how to go about the whole process so that the best possible results can be achieved.

Thanks.

Hi,
You can start by checking out the dedicated threads here for foreign B-schools and GMATclub forum.Most of the queries have already been answered with respect to newbies and B-school aspirants.

Arun.

Hi....

-- Education :: B. Tech, Chem. Engg., IIT Bombay -- with avg. or not so good CPI of : approx. 6.8
-- Work exp. :: 5 yrs as on Jun 2012. In a small indian company. Involved in Product design & development, QC - raw material and finished product, Production, vendor development, taking care of technical queries and issues with product, partially in marketing and ISO implementation. (initially involved in civil work and erection of the greenfield project).
-- GMAT - in Mar 2012. Score - 750 (41 - verb, 50 - quant, 6 in AWA).

Want to go for MBA abroad in fall session 2013 - focus on attaining all round competence required for starting a new business and running existing business. Tentative (not sure) focus areas during -- Entrepreneurship, finance, operations.

Need inputs on all aspects, viz. selection of B-School, how to go about the whole process so that the best possible results can be achieved.

Thanks.

B.Tech: 7.305 CGPA (Biotechnology) (I had 6 backlogs in B.Tech)
GMAT: 720
W.E. 36 Months (IT)
:
Can I get a scholarship if at all apply to US or UK universities with good essays?

If at all there's any problem can you please suggest me for improvement in my profile?

Your 12th standard marks aren't relevant. Your BTech performance will matter more, along with your GMAT score, essays, quality of work-experience.

There are a ton of bschools (in the US and UK) that might give scholarships, but don't start your bschool selection using scholarships as the primary criterion. Start from the other side i.e. look at what you want to do after your MBA, then look at the best schools that'll help you get there. Spread out the choice across Ambitious, Stretch, Practical, Safe and Backup categories (or decide some rating that works for you).

If you manage the list and your apps well, the chances of getting scholarships from Practical, Safe and Backup options would be more.

Also, check out the International MBA FAQ series on PG. You might get some practical ideas that you can use.

- Sameer Kamat
Founder | MBA Crystal Ball
Founder -  MBA CRYSTAL BALL (mbacrystalball.com) | Twitter www.twitter.com/mba_cb

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

2452 people follow this discussion.