Free Question Bank – PaGaLGuY's Prepathon

Includes Daily Quizzes, GK updates and Mock Tests!
For CAT, IBPS, SSC-CGL and more!

About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Monil Ruparel @reachmonil

Tags

Phoren B-school Assistance Desk

Hie guys, We are starting this thread to _*cater to any generic queries related to B-schools abroad*_. You will also have veterans answer to your queries out here on the thread. Also, merging all relevant threads with this one. * * G...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 251 of 546   

Hi 'Purple Spirit',
I will answer your latter question first. It is really difficult, if not impossible, to start picking schools before GMAT (unless you have such a high CAT score that you are uber confident about GMAT). So, first things first. Finish GMAT and then pick schools. What you can do right now is pick your geographical preferences and start researching different tiered schools based on your post-MBA career interests.

Regarding ECs, it could be construed as insincere but you still have 9-10 months, so if you create a strong impact in the next few months, it can shift the odds in your favor. Note that it does not have to be volunteering, pick your passion and go for it. Also, more sincerely you do it, more the chances of convincing adcom through essays/interviews that you are genuine.

Feel free to message me if you have more queries.

Good luck!

Hi PGites,

I want to go for an MBA in 2011. However, my EC's have been really weak in school and college. Can anyone suggest how to improve on my EC activities. Does showing EC and volunteering involvement a few months before applying make your reasons evident?

I am currently working in a consulting firm and would have 3 years of experience by the date of joining and a BE from Pune University.

Yet to give my GMAT. Also, what schools should I be aiming at?

Thanks
afbg2003 Says
@dasi sir...wh foreign language should i strt learnin dat wld b most useful for me...and ol d bst for ur isb...

Depends on different factors - The country of the world where you would want to work some time in future, the availability of courses in your area etc. As far as I know, people most often learn French, German and Spanish, but these days are learning Chinese, Japanese and Korean too which are gaining lot of demand. I learned French (still learning ) myself!

Hi PGites,

I want to go for an MBA in 2011. However, my EC's have been really weak in school and college. Can anyone suggest how to improve on my EC activities. Does showing EC and volunteering involvement a few months before applying make your reasons evident?

I am currently working in a consulting firm and would have 3 years of experience by the date of joining and a BE from Pune University.

Yet to give my GMAT. Also, what schools should I be aiming at?

Thanks

Hi PGites,

Yet to give my GMAT. Also, what sortof schools should I be aiming at?

Thanks

Hi Martian

Friends can you please tell me how an MBA in operation is different from MS in supply chain management...

The fact is that i m looking forward for a career in SCM post MBA.

Suggestions please

Has anybody on this thread heard about Baylor University, Hankamer School of Business , Waco,Texas? Any views on the credibility of its Business program ?

@dasi sir...wh foreign language should i strt learnin dat wld b most useful for me...and ol d bst for ur isb...

>> As for reputation, IIMs are the best reputed in India and also well known internationally.

Hi Dasi,

Agree with the first part, but not too convinced about the latter. The IIM brand is very strong in India, but many IIM grads (including several colleagues) looking for international careers started seriously considering the option of a second MBA option after a few years of working in India.

Though the education, the professors and the quality of students entering these institutions is world class, unfortunately the brand recognition isn't as strong as we'd want it to be. IIT's have a much better reputation outside India. The entire IIM process (unlike ISB's) isn't and was not designed to compete for the same candidates as the other intl b-schools. With the one year PGPX program, things may change over time. Let's see.

Where are you heading?

Thanks for the opinion MartianOnEarth!
Well, on second though, I guess your opinion about the international repute of the IIMs is more accurate than mine.

In any case, I never personally liked the heavy bias the IIM selection procedure has, towards fresh graduates and number wizards. So I'm not vying for them

Would love to make it to a top notch international b-school, simply because of the diversity of the class, and what that means (have worked with teams having 6 nationalities, at the same time, and its been an awesome experience) But can't do it without a great scholarship or a lottery. So for now, this plan is slightly on hold.

Have laid down the net for the ISB fish now. And watiing
>> As for reputation, IIMs are the best reputed in India and also well known internationally.

Hi Dasi,

Agree with the first part, but not too convinced about the latter. The IIM brand is very strong in India, but many IIM grads (including several colleagues) looking for international careers started seriously considering the option of a second MBA option after a few years of working in India.

Though the education, the professors and the quality of students entering these institutions is world class, unfortunately the brand recognition isn't as strong as we'd want it to be. IIT's have a much better reputation outside India. The entire IIM process (unlike ISB's) isn't and was not designed to compete for the same candidates as the other intl b-schools. With the one year PGPX program, things may change over time. Let's see.

Where are you heading?
Founder -  MBA CRYSTAL BALL (mbacrystalball.com) | Twitter www.twitter.com/mba_cb
@dasi...
thanks alot for the reply sir...i am very passionate about an idea...and to execute it...have to start a company...and i think i can gain alot from it...
would it be ok if i take gmat on the 4th yr...
i want to do a mba right after b.tech and then start workin...is thr any alter...how r IIMs compared to foreign universities...

wh foreign language should i strt learnin dat wld b most useful for me..

If you are looking to do an MBA immediately after your BTech, IIMs might be best suited for you, since they take such students. But any top 20 US or non-US b-school will insist on a minimum work ex before taking a person, unless your profile is mind-blowing - which might be a bit hard for the regular Indian IT Male candidate.

As for reputation, IIMs are the best reputed in India and also well known internationally. So if you make it into one of them, then good for you. But in my opinion, to really gain good experience and learn out of the MBA it is always better to work in the corporate and then do the MBA - no wonder W.E is such a big deal for most schools.

Take your GMAT anytime you deem fit - since it is valid for 5 years, and i guess you will definitely take up the MBA before the score expires. And all the best with your start-up!

dasi
  • 1 Like  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

2451 people follow this discussion.