About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Monil Ruparel @reachmonil

Tags

Phoren B-school Assistance Desk

Hie guys, We are starting this thread to _*cater to any generic queries related to B-schools abroad*_. You will also have veterans answer to your queries out here on the thread. Also, merging all relevant threads with this one. * * G...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 251 of 364   
Thanks!
I know that 2 yrs may be a lil less but i should have loads of time on my hands in the next 3 months to work on the essays and visit schools. Hopefully, ll come up with something gud.
well opportunities are pretty limited as im still a trainee and im going to the states for training in another division. but my work profile will stay pretty much the same. ll try and take some initiative in the states.
will being my search with FT.

another thing - how do u get a reco from work? my manager ll get seriously pissed if he finds out that im even planning an mba, specially after the co. has invested so much in training me over a yr and a half.

---------------------------------------------------------
It's not required that you get your reco from your manager. The adcom realizes that this is an issue and you can get reco from other employees with whom you have worked. If you have good terms with your client then that reco might be good bet. Worst case scenario take a reco from your colleague.
Best,
MB
Hi All,
I have a GMAT score of 710, and will have 5 yrs of IT exp by the time i join (if i get thru ). I have some serious questions which i want you to help me out in

1) I am more inclined in shifting career, i want to do get into Strategic Management or Operations Research. Is it possible for me to get a job if i shift the career track ?

2) I am "completely" dependent on loan to pay for my expenses. So, i am thinking that i will target only

P. S : I know i am a confused soul :), but hope will get better with the advices here...

Kishore,
1) Shifting career is of course possible. Its pretty common in B-schools across the globe.
2) Don't worry too much about the loan and I would suggest don't base your school selection on this criteria. You get a chance to do an MBA just once and try to get into the best school possible. Near all of my batch mates took loan to pursue their MBA (from UCLA, UC-Berkley, Wharton etc) and its worth the program.
Best,
MB
One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More
Akshat,
First of all good profile. My profile was pretty much similar expect for the fact that I had shit loads of co-curricular on my resume. Few observations:
1. Two years might be a bit less for international B schools. You may need an awesome application package (read essays) to convince the adcom that your skill-set/ learnings compensate for your corporate experience.
2. Build your profile in the time being specially in leadership profile. Are there opportunities in your organization to do some co-curricular

Thanks!
I know that 2 yrs may be a lil less but i should have loads of time on my hands in the next 3 months to work on the essays and visit schools. Hopefully, ll come up with something gud.
well opportunities are pretty limited as im still a trainee and im going to the states for training in another division. but my work profile will stay pretty much the same. ll try and take some initiative in the states.
will being my search with FT.

another thing - how do u get a reco from work? my manager ll get seriously pissed if he finds out that im even planning an mba, specially after the co. has invested so much in training me over a yr and a half.
Hi All,
I have a GMAT score of 710, and will have 5 yrs of IT exp by the time i join (if i get thru ). I have some serious questions which i want you to help me out in

1) I am more inclined in shifting career, i want to do get into Strategic Management or Operations Research. Is it possible for me to get a job if i shift the career track ?

2) I am "completely" dependent on loan to pay for my expenses. So, i am thinking that i will target only

P. S : I know i am a confused soul :), but hope will get better with the advices here...

Kishore,
1) Shifting career is of course possible. Its pretty common in B-schools across the globe.
2) Don't worry too much about the loan and I would suggest don't base your school selection on this criteria. You get a chance to do an MBA just once and try to get into the best school possible. Near all of my batch mates took loan to pursue their MBA (from UCLA, UC-Berkley, Wharton etc) and its worth the program.
Best,
MB
  • 1 Like  
Hello Friends,

I'm right now working with a MNC in ITES sector, my profile is as below:

Xth- 73%
XIIth- 69%
B.Tech- 72%
Work Ex- 2.8 years
GMAT-700
Designation- Sr. Quality Analyst
Handling 3 different teams- total 40 associates under me.

Apart from this I have lot of achievements and initiatives on my name along with many motivation drives run by me as part of my leadership skills in my organization. And for social participation I've been awarded by my VP for initiatives that I've taken for our society as part of CSR.

Along with all these, I'm have good comand over basic management concepts and subjects.

Being in ITES sector, I hope i fulfill the demand for diversity in terms of experience as required by most of the international colleges. My field of interest for MBA is Service Marketing/International Business.

Though I never had a foreign trip, but am good in handling international client. Right now I'm dealing with one of the Giant telecom company in Canada. And I can have recommendation from them as well.

It woud be great if you could comment on my profile and show me the real picture.

Nishant,
Its a good profile. Go ahead and apply to B Schools of your choice (after making a reality check which schools are best fit). If you are able to put a stellar application package, then you should get through most of the schools you opt for.
Best,
Hello Friends,

Xth- 73%
XIIth- 69%
B.Tech- 72%
Work Ex- 2.8 years
GMAT-700

Apart from this I have lot of achievements and initiatives on my name along with many motivation drives run by me as part of my leadership skills in my organization. And for social participation I've been awarded by my VP for initiatives that I've taken for our society as part of CSR.

Along with all these, I'm have good comand over basic management concepts and subjects.

Being in ITES sector, I hope i fulfill the demand for diversity in terms of experience as required by most of the international colleges. My field of interest for MBA is Service Marketing/International Business.

Though I never had a foreign trip, but am good in handling international client. Right now I'm dealing with one of the Giant telecom company in Canada. And I can have recommendation from them as well.

It woud be great if you could comment on my profile and show me the real picture.

Nishant,
Its a good profile. Go ahead and apply to B Schools of your choice (after making a reality check which schools are best fit). If you are able to put a stellar application package, then you should get through most of the schools you opt for.
Best,
MB
Founder IndusMinds.com
hi guys
i need some help on applications. a lil background info:

-topper at school
-ntse scholar
-03-07 btech mech engg iit madras ( CGPA: 7.83) ( jee rank 817)
-secured admits to iim l,i for 07 session, but dint take any
-working at halliburton energy services since aug 07 in cairo and indonesia. ll train in the US from aug - oct and work in angola thereafter.
-GMAT score: 770

-extra curriculars:

1. college tt team captain, 2 golds n a silver over 3 years
2. did sponsorship and publicity work for college fests with teams of volunteers under me.
3. coordinated lan gaming event
4. at work, i lead a team of 3 ppl when we go out for work in the desert. communicate with the client directly.

well, not a lot but i guess pretty much all u can do at iit while
maintaining a decent cgpa. Please tell me wat i lack.

I have decided to app for fall 09. I have 11 months of work ex rite now but by the time i join i e fall 09, i ll have 2 yrs of work ex. I want to my mba in either finance. Which schools should i target?

regards
akshat

Akshat,
First of all good profile. My profile was pretty much similar expect for the fact that I had shit loads of co-curricular on my resume. Few observations:
1. Two years might be a bit less for international B schools. You may need an awesome application package (read essays) to convince the adcom that your skill-set/ learnings compensate for your corporate experience.
2. Build your profile in the time being specially in leadership profile. Are there opportunities in your organization to do some co-curricular etc? May be you can take some company/department level initiative.
3. For finance schools, I would suggest that you start with FT to look at top finance schools like Chicago, NYU, UCLA etc and then look at the profile of the admitted students. See which matches your profile closely. Best,
MB
Founder IndusMinds.com

Hi PG's,

Does anybody know how is the European School of management and technology(Berlin).
It was present in the QSMBA fair.
Does it have a good reputation in terms of Curriculum and placements..
Please let me know..
Thanks in Advance..

Hi PG's,

Does anybody know how is the European School of management and technology(Berlin).
It was present in the QSMBA fair.
Does it have a good reputation in terms of Curriculum and placements..
Please let me know..
Thanks in Advance..

hi guys
i need some help on applications. a lil background info:

-topper at school
-ntse scholar
-03-07 btech mech engg iit madras ( CGPA: 7.83) ( jee rank 817)
-secured admits to iim l,i for 07 session, but dint take any
-working at halliburton energy services since aug 07 in cairo and indonesia. ll train in the US from aug - oct and work in angola thereafter.
-GMAT score: 770

-extra curriculars:

1. college tt team captain, 2 golds n a silver over 3 years
2. did sponsorship and publicity work for college fests with teams of volunteers under me.
3. coordinated lan gaming event
4. at work, i lead a team of 3 ppl when we go out for work in the desert. communicate with the client directly.

well, not a lot but i guess pretty much all u can do at iit while
maintaining a decent cgpa. Please tell me wat i lack.

I have decided to app for fall 09. I have 11 months of work ex rite now but by the time i join i e fall 09, i ll have 2 yrs of work ex. I want to my mba in either finance. Which schools should i target?

regards
akshat

Hello Friends,

Xth- 73%
XIIth- 69%
B.Tech- 72%
Work Ex- 2.8 years
GMAT-700

Hello everyone..
I want some info on MBA from Australian universities.
I want to settle in Australia that's why looking for good MBA institutes there.I did little bit of research and institutes like MBS,AGSM,MGSM seem to be good enough.Can anyone tell me more about these institutes...like how good they are..the placement scenario out there..
I have just started my GMAT prep and will take it within 4-5 months..Will be applying for courses starting from august/september...I'll have around 20 months experience by then..I know my work-ex is low but I feel its the right time for me to do MBA..I am insterested in Finance/IB.

Hi All,

anilisanil Says
Hello, I am Anil. I am a mechanical engineer (2004). My work ex includes 11 months in an infrastructure development company (International Airport Construction) and then shifted to IT sector. But, fortunately or unfortunately, I was never into coding, I was initially doing some engineering design and product lifecycle management stuff and then shifted to Product Lifecycle management in Telecom Sector, where my responsibilities include Process Consulting/Service Designing/ Product (and service) Launch Management. So my total IT experience is 3 years and total experience is 4 years (Sept). I am taking GMAT in August and if my estimation goes well my score range will be 690-720. My confusion now is that I am not able to decide on what course should I be looking at, the options I am considering are SCM, Service Management, PLM, or should I get into Telecom Management (which makes the choice too specific, but I have valid experience). And if some one can point me to the schools which have such courses will be helpful.

On the assumption (please correct if wrong) that you want to stay in the Telecom / High tech / Precision tech sector - go for a top school from where the top companies active in the telecom sector recruit - you're talking top consultig outfits strong in the telecom sector (Bain comes to mind, as does Accenture), the Sony-Ericssons, Microsofts, Cisco Systems, Nokias, Samsung Global etc recruit... I'd recommend a US Top 10 or EU Top 5. With your sector experience, you probably won't need further specialized education in this area. A strong MBA with elective options in Technology Management, Operations / SCM and Strategy should serve you very well indeed. All of these are avaiable at the schools mentioned, along with strong / stree-credible career services to help you search on & off campus + strong alumni networks in the industry to open doors to opportunities.

Good luck
  • 2 Likes  
lukacsdepereny Says
Hi everyone, Its my 1st time posting in this resourceful site. I have got a small question: How do canadian schools (Ivey, Sauder, Rotman, Schulich & Hec Montreal) consider GMAT scores taking into account someones profile? I have done the Gmat twice with bad results (biggest score 410) due to the fact as u ll see in my resume, that I work at 4,500 meters above sea level, 12 hours from home with a job schedule of 30 X 15 and really havent got too much time to study (in fact I study in my office -wake up at 6:30am everyday for work- from 8pm till 930pm, really exhausting taking into account my "low" stressing job -I receive 50 tons of food every week, 380 workers, 2800 clients... 5800 meals a day... cost control...etc). Basically, I do not want ilusions, just seeking for an honest advice. I "think" that if I get a 560 (compared to my peruvian mates resumes, mines a bit different...) I could have chances to be accepted. Its a thought. Plz check my resume and some advice required! Thx

You might want to remove your resume from the forum. I am not a moderator, but you've placed private information here, not advisable.

As for GMAT itself... you have to take some time off the physical (& mental) challenges of your job non-withstanding... no other go if you're particularly passionate about further business education. I'd strongly recommend you find a way to take time off to first get some coaching and then to give the GMAT.

Good luck...

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

1881 people follow this discussion.