SHOW

Phoren B-school Assistance Desk

Hie guys, We are starting this thread to _*cater to any generic queries related to B-schools abroad*_. You will also have veterans answer to your queries out here on the thread. Also, merging all relevant threads with this one. * * G... Read More »

Can you please evaulate my profile:

Colleges I am targetting:

1) Top European Colleges in the same bracket as INSEAD

2) Top American Colleges in the same bracked as Wharton

3) Top Asian colleges in the same bracket as ISB and NIS

Academics:

X-66%

XII-60.33%

Bachelor in IT (3 year Degree Course)-55.6%

Work Experience:

3.5 Years in TCS (Worked with Clients like CITIGROUP and GE)

Role: Change Manager and ITIL process expert

Cetifications:

a) ITIL foundation

b) ITIL Intermediate

c) SIX SIGMA GREEN Belt awarded by GE

Extra Curriculars:

1) I play the Guitar, have played in a couple of local rock concerts.

2) Mentored final year BTECH students as part of Affirmative action programme by TATA Group. Have been rewarded by the same.

I am planning to give GMAT by the end of this year, I have been scoring 740+ in mocks and expecting my GMAT test results along similar lines. Please evaluate my profile, the thing thats haunting me the most is my academic profile. How would you evaulate my chances in Top Notch MBA colleges? What else do I need to add in my profile to increase my chances? Also, what would be my GPA approx?

• 4Comments
  • @mba-help I want to apply next year, so by that time, I w.... 13 Oct.
  • Hi Pradeep, Its going to be difficult to predict right no.... 13 Oct.
adityaluckyroy
Aditya Kumar Roy @adityaluckyroy 11

Brother firstly Phew! Do you understand the quality intake of Wharton, LBS, Insead, etc. Phew again! Given your profile, apply for ISB, XLRI, Hong Kong University, CUHK, BEIBS, Rottman, CEIBS. All these are tough to crack, but not impossible given your profile. Your career has showed a steady progression and that's the silver lining. GMAT score is not the deal breaker. Start to think about your SOP and Recommendations. All the best. Hope this helps  

mba-help
MBA Decoder @mba-help 1.3 k

@pradeep1388 - I agree with Aditya, that Wharton, Insead and the likes are very tough nuts to crack.

You have to have something really great in your profile, which I did not see, by reading the profile you have posted here. I am sure there's a lot more, so please do elaborate on that - what are your work related achievements? How is your career progress? what are your career goals? why do they make sense for you, given your career so far? Why do you need an MBA?

Ofcourse, you have an entire year to think about these, but do start thinking about them from now. i would say that you should use this year to build your profile - work upon any areas that need improvement. 

Your GPA is low, your undergrad is only 3 years, and these things are likely to hurt you. The GMAT is - VERY IMPORTANT. So keep prepping to score 740+

Reach out to us for a more detailed discussion. 

Namita Garg

Find out about our ISB interview services: http://mbadecoder.com/?p=1336

pradeep1388
hawk @pradeep1388 42

@mba-help I want to apply next year, so by that time, I will have 5 yrs of total work ex as a Change Manager. Given my present profile, which B schools should i apply to next year? 

mba-help
MBA Decoder @mba-help 1.3 k

Hi Pradeep, Its going to be difficult to predict right now where you should apply next year. We will need to know more about you, but before that you will also need a GMAT score. 

You can send us your resume at contact@mbadecoder.com.

Namita Garg

Book your ISB MOCK interview with an alum: http://mbadecoder.com/?p=1336

Guys, if any one of you is planning to apply to top schools in US (HBS, Wharton, GSB and the likes) this year, reach out to me. We are piloting our platform (MentMo.com) and currently providing one free mentoring session by a current student or alumnus of these schools.

Good luck!

Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management- Admissions Open!

Classes, Case-studies, Cafeteria, Conferences, Competitions, Clubs, Camaraderie!

The 7 C's of LBSIM aptly summarize the 'Life@LBSIM' that impeccably epitomizes the ideal life of an MBA student, which, as our Director says, should be a blend of "70% learning outside the classroom and 30% learning inside the classroom"!

Learn More

Can you please recommend mba uni's in us and europe with 580 gmat score. The breakup is Q - 49 and Verbal - 23. I really cannot reapply again. Please assist. Thanks every1 in advance

• Hi @Ankita301! Please mail your CV to info[at]essaysunday.... 25 Sep.
ISBmantra.com
ISB mantra @ISBmantra.com 1.3 k

Hi @Ankita301! Please mail your CV to info[at]essaysunday[dot]com and we will be happy to recommend schools suitable to your profile. It is difficult to suggest based on GMAT only. 

All the Best!

'ISBmantra / EssaySunday Consulting'

I am in the initial stages of planning for an MBA abroad, want to get into Leadership/Strategic positions after MBA.
Need help in shortlisting colleges to aim for, my preference would be one year MBA programs in Europe and North America.

I also am a little skeptic about the job prospects and immigration rules in Europe especially UK, request you to throw some light on it.

My target colleges:
1. INSEAD, France
2. Judge, Cambridge
3. ESMT, Germany
4. MIT Sloan (In case I choose a 2 year MBA)
5. HEC Montreal

My profile:

A CGPA of 7.1/10 from a virtually unknown university in Central India.
Not taken GMAT yet(aiming for a 750), got a 600 in the first MBA.com diagnostic test

Working for Cisco Systems as a Test engineer, total exp 3 years.

Notable extracurriculars in college:
Elected as Vice President of college body.
Founded a Counselling cell for students.

Out of office activities currently:
Part time photographer
Amateur Film maker(2 films in the pipeline right now)
Associated with 3 NGOs.
Won Bangalore chapter of a Global Innovation Challenge last year.

What are the chances on being able to land in the above colleges if I write strong essays and end up with a GMAT score of 720-750?
  • 2 Likes  
  • European B Schools would look for diversified roles in te.... 28 May.
ivyctor2010
ivyctor 2010 @ivyctor2010 877
European B Schools would look for diversified roles in terms of having experience with leading teams and managing people. Do elaborate more about your job profile. Yes, a score above 720 and impressive essays would be vital in hearing from those b Schools. Do PM us with your details on your work experience etc to help you better with a choice of schools.
Hi, i am planning to do my mba and applying for Jan 2015 intake..
i am confused between Queen's and Schulich, Canada..
I am from India, IT, 4.5 years exp and 650 gmat..
i would preferrrably want to go to Canada but i am open to other countries where the job market is good and visa is not much of an issue..
i even thought of SDA Bocconi, IESE, IE as well as HEC in European countries..
but i am still having double thoughts on these schools as I have budget constraints along with questions on visa and job prospects in these countries..
can someone help me.. firstly in deciding between Queen's and Schulich.. job prospects after studying from these colleges for an Indian and if possible then tips on how middle class indians handle their finances..

• 8Comments
  • thanks @EssaySunday.com .. this does help.. however, alon.... 22 May.
  • Hi @nothingsgonnastopme ! Queen's is a 1-year program and.... 22 May.
  8 Comments
nothingsgonnastopme
zb mithani @nothingsgonnastopme 11
got your point reg. European schools..
as for Canada.. Rotman is way too costly .. but Ivey.. haven't given it a thought yet ..
so if we compare Queen's and Ivey, then Ivey gives me better brand and job prospects?
but then again.. it can be same issue of having just 1 year WP..
so how do we rate Queen's, Ivey and Schulich based on brand, value for money, job prospects and ofcourse their program design..
m sure your response will really help me..
EssaySunday.com
Essay Sunday @EssaySunday.com 13
Both Queen's and Schulich have similar reputation. If you were comparing Rotman or Ivey, they were clear winners.
Getting a job in Spain and Italy is certainly difficult. During our interaction with the AdCom of IE, they also admitted that IE students do not come to IE to work in Spain. They work globally - which is possible for Europeans and Americans, but not so much for Indians. France and Holland are pretty safe though.
nothingsgonnastopme
zb mithani @nothingsgonnastopme 11
thanks @EssaySunday.com .. this does help.. however, along with duration of program and work permit.. i even wanted to know which one is more reputed and from where i have more chances to get a job
reg. european colleges like italy and spain.. how difficult would it be to get job around these countries and how is placement there?

EssaySunday.com
Essay Sunday @EssaySunday.com 13
Hi @nothingsgonnastopme ! Queen's is a 1-year program and Schulich is a 2-year program. Along with your preference of the program duration, you may also want to consider that with a 1-year program, you get a 1-yr work-permit post MBA whereas with a 2-year program you get a 3-year work permit post MBA, during which you must apply for a PR. Though both are reputed programs, these differentiators should help you choose.
Spain and Italy you may want to avoid if getting a job is your priority after MBA, but HEC is worth a shot given that it is able to place most Indian students. You may also want to consider Rotterdam School of Management. Though these are competitive programs, but with a strong set of essays, you do have a decent chance.

All the Best!
'EssaySunday'
[Start working on your application with us for Free]
Hi,

I am planning to do my MBA from US, I have got 4 years work exp in IT.
I have got admits from Drexel University - LeBow Business School and UNC Charlotte. Got scholarship from Drexel so tuition fees for both will be same. My main motive is Post MBA job. Need help in making selection and any expert advice.

*I know both schools are not great, but with my score and budget they fit in.
  • 4Comments
  • Hi @ivyctor2010 thanks for the prompt reply,. 06 Apr.
  • @ashs1189 Do comapre both schools on all important parame.... 06 Apr.
ashs1189
ashwin sakhardande @ashs1189
Hi @ivyctor2010 thanks for the prompt reply: 1. Both college website does not have that data nor did I have any success googling it. Is there any website you recommend. 2 & 3. Will do that for sure. 4. Spoke to Unc alumini but not getting any reverts from Drexel alumini. If you know any1 can you help me connect. And your personal opinion on Drexel full time Mba?
ivyctor2010
@ashs1189 Do comapre both schools on all important parameters, which may include
1. Placement records including industry wise split of outgoing class (say your goal is to be into marketing then check %age of class getting placed into marketing profile)
2. Split of incoming class w.r.t. geography they come from, avg. yrs of experience, major in bachelors
3. Post MBA, if you have a target industry in mind, then how far is commercial city from your college, e.g. - NYU being close to Wallstreet, Rotman in financial hub of Toronto allows you to network
4. And most importantly, speak with Alumni
Hope this helps!
Hello,

I plan on applying for MBA to some European schools for Fall 2015. I'm currently working as a Senior Software Developer at a big software firm, and I'll cross 3 years of work experience by Summer 2015. Can you please advise me on what schools I may have a chance in going though, and where I should aim at applying? I was wondering what my chances in LBS, INSEAD, HEC, etc will be.

Acads - X (86), XII (89), GPA (8.3/10).
GMAT - not taken yet. preparation in full swing.

Decent extra-curriculars in college and merit certifications. Nothing as such in my professional career, but will get good recommendations from my managers.

Thank you.
  • 8Comments
  • I will definitely look into more schools as you said. Wha.... 24 Mar.
  • If you're just looking at European, you should look at a .... 24 Mar.
CAT 2013 (first attempt) : 99.2% (98.5, 97.5); Calls - IIM K, IIM S, FMS; Converts - IIM S; Rejects - IIM K; Awaited - FMS
  8 Comments
ivyctor2010
You need to put a little push into your ECAs. You have written that you had decent extra curriculars in college.why not something now? How would you differentiate yourself from others? why not take up responsibilities in managing or working collaboratively in carrying out events at work or through enrolments in organisations which may leverage your knowledge of skills and understanding in the technical space?
DMFC
DMFC @DMFC 39
@ivyctor2010 , thanks. Will surely write to you. In the meantime, can you suggest ways to improve one's profile for this in the one year I have? And I'm inclined towards B-Schools in UK mostly for personal reasons. Can you suggest universities where I should be applying to stand a good chance? Like LBS, Warwick Business, etc?
ivyctor2010
@DMFC While average experience of incoming class in European B-School is ~4-5 years, good number of admitted students fall under experience bracket of 3 years, so you stand a good chance from experience perspective. INSEAD looks for pre-MBA managerial experience and hence would be tough to crack.
All schools you have listed are very competitive and would require significant effort from your end. You should understand the fact that majority of Indian applicants (who apply to top 30 B schools) have stellar acads and hence your acads will not give any competitive advantage.
Aim to score 720+ in GMAT and then prepare a well rounded application with clearly thought out goals.
You may go for free profile evaluation to understand your areas of strength/improvement. Do write to us on info(at)ivyctor(dot)com
DMFC
DMFC @DMFC 39
I will definitely look into more schools as you said. What I meant to ask was that is it realistic to apply this schools with 3 years work experience (in summer 2015) and expect a good result? Assuming the essays, recommendations and GMAT go my away. The purpose of this was asking a crude evaluation for a person like me with a slightly above average profile.
MansieDewanConsulting
Mansie Dewan @MansieDewanConsulting 2.3 k
If you're just looking at European, you should look at a couple of more schools like SAID, ESADE, IE, RSM etc. Which schools and your chance of getting an admit is purely a matter of which school is a good fit, how well you portray yourself through the admissions application and your GMAT. Good Luck with the preparation and I suggest you give it asap,so that you have time to improve your score, should the need arise.

Hello All ,

I am an electrical engineer at a stage in my life where I have to make a bold decision. I just want my profile evaluated from somebody . I have been an above average student throughout my life but there is nothing spectacular about my achievements .
I will list my records and please someone tell me if I have a shot at either IIM A,B,C or ISB or for that matter any A++ institute.
10th 93.2 % 12th 85.6 % B.Tech 75 % from MAIT ,I.P university
working in a Windmoeller and Hoelscher ,a German company that is a top player in its field (2 years 8 months).I have dealt with german bosses and I can also speak fluent german .My job experience involves travelling to more than 20 countries and being the electrical in charge of the site i.e Commissioning and Service Engineer . It is indeed a high paying job for all the responsibilities involved.
Other achievments: Sun certified Java programmer , CBSE 10th Hindi 0.01 certificate , Good at sports with some certis , School level talent exams , NIIT Aptitute test certificate ..

As I said there is nothing spectacular about me that makes me wonder if I still have a shot at the premier schools .Please reply I am thinking of a turnaround in life ,suddenly I want to perform and compete with the best .
I had appeared for CAT once in 2011 (as a fresher) VA :99.89 DI:39 QA:90 . DI had let me down that time but I dont think I am that bad. If I appear this year I can get that up.

• 3Comments
  • hello ..thanks for your review , as i have heard from my .... 20 Mar.
  • For the IIMs, your experience is slightly on the lower si.... 20 Mar.
ivyctor2010
We could guide you with your GMAT strategy, School selection and essays etc. You could PM us with your details.
Devank
Devank Kumar @Devank 30
hello ..thanks for your review , as i have heard from my seniors in IIMs when you pursue a regular PGP there are lots of disadvantages due to age factor .. Many great companies just filter out people without workex ... if a person is too old he will be the last one to be placed .. nonetheless MBA with experience is still considered better ..but it would be nice if one could take the best of both the worlds..
How much experience do you think is perfect ?
secondly , I could do better with some guidance how do I benefit from ivyctor?
ivyctor2010
For the IIMs, your experience is slightly on the lower side. For ISB you will need to target a score of 720 and above in GMAT. Apart from that you will also need well rounded essays. Your acads are good, international exposure and dealing with multicultural teams can give you an edge if you put them well in your essays. In case you need further assistance, please PM us
Hi,

I'm currently working as a software developer and am keen on pursuing an MBA with a technology specialization. I've already got a 700 on my GMAT (a while back.) + over 5 years experience, and I'm looking to apply for admits in 2015.

Could someone guide to me some the best tech focused MBA Colleges in the world. (apart from MIT.) USA, Europe, etc are all good.

Also, if someone can guide me to careers after an MBA in the technology industry that would be hihgly appreciated.

Hey!
I graduated from Delhi University in Business Economics last year and started working with an Export House after my degree. I have currently applied at the UCL (MA Comparative Business Economics) and Imperial Business School(Msc Management).These are both 1 years programs
and I'm hopeful that I will be able to secure admission in at least one of them. Now considering that I do get into either and then work for one more year after completing the course, would I have any realistic chances for MBA at B-schools like Wharton, Yale etc? I mean would they even consider my profile if I manage to get a very good GMAT score?

Thanks

hi,
can anyone help me in calculating the GPA for US based colleges out of 4. i secured 60% in grad.
thanks,
  • 4Comments
  • Do NOT calculate GPA. Colleges don't ask for it. Just sen.... 11 Feb.
  • visit this link gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-convert-in.... 11 Feb.

Hello Puys,

I am beginning my journey towards an mba from a top university in Canada. I intend to take up my gmat in 2014 and get an admit for the fall 2015 batch.

By next year i will have 2.5years of exp as a Business Analyst in the Procurement/Supply chain domain at Reliance Industries.(As a Data Analyst-handling Spend, Inventory, Performance enhancement and supply market Reports).

I have done a 1 year Internship at Asus Computers.

Engineering from Mumbai University-66%.

12th-88%

10th-84%

can you please shed some light on

1. which universities r within my reach(expecting to score 700+).

2. what r d job prospects after mba.

3. what is d average salary after mba from top colleges (Queens, Sauder, Schulich etc.)

4. also which specialization will be best for me.

Regards,

Ronak.

• 3Comments
  • frankly, im not dat clear at this moment. I want to put m.... 05 Jan.
  • Look at Simon Fraser too. what would be your long term go.... 05 Jan.
ivyctor2010
Have you given your GMAT yet? You could PM us for a further discussion on your queries.
Ronak1990
Ronak Singh @Ronak1990
frankly, im not dat clear at this moment. I want to put my experience as an analyst to good use. It wud b nice if u cud shed some light on wich stream or specialization wud b nice...
ivyctor2010
Look at Simon Fraser too. what would be your long term goals?
What is the duration of the post graduate work permit that I may get after completing a 16months/ 4 sem masters degree in Canada. I have applied for the masters of management in operations research in sauder school of business.
Where i can get Full Length Mock Test for GMAT(like actual Computer Adaptive test) ??
i am ready for contribution if two /three people are ready to buy, becuase it definitely will be expensive..
  • 2 Practice Tests are Free and 2 Practice Tests are for so.... 26 Dec '13.
  • go to MBA. com --> GMAT Study Materials --- > Download GM.... 26 Dec '13.
If My Mind Can Conceive It and My Heart Can Believe it. I Know I will Acheive It.
CsquareLearnings
Csquare Learnings @CsquareLearnings 44
2 Practice Tests are Free and 2 Practice Tests are for some cost.
CsquareLearnings
Csquare Learnings @CsquareLearnings 44
go to MBA. com --> GMAT Study Materials --- > Download GMAT prep Test.
Hi,
Is there is any chance for me to make it to mighty Wharton, Stanford, HBS etc. If not, what should I be aiming for? I am planning to apply next year.
My profile:
10th=86.7
12th=79.6
B.Tech=7.96/10
GMAT score wont be any issue.
Good Extra Curricular- was active in college, used to teach poor kids too.
NCC- C Certificate
Work Ex- 15 months in Ambuja Cement Limited (Holcim) till 31st dec, 2013 as electrical engg.

• 4Comments
  • Two things i can say GMAT score - "Wont be any issu.... 26 Dec '13.
  • You are low on experience... For making into the top B Sc.... 26 Dec '13.
ivyctor2010
Leadership roles, initiatives in leading teams, involvement in CSR activities in your organisation and engaging yourself in team building roles away from your professional arena would add to your repertoire of professional skills.
bingo0
O_0 @bingo0 3
@ivyctor2010 @ananyboss Thank You.
I still have to give GMAT. I prepared for cat this year n attempted 1 test on GmatPrep Software ..scored a 720 without GMAT specific preparation. So, was hoping that do better by the time I'll actually give GMAT.
I am planning to apply next year, which means at the time of joining B-school, that is, summers of 2015, I would (15+18=33) months of work ex. Hope it'll be fine then.
Can you elaborate bit more on "
professional skills and initiatives of the different kind".
ananyboss
Ananya Pandey @ananyboss 1.3 k
Two things i can say

GMAT score - "Wont be any issue" - should be a number
Stanford HBS, etc they prefer at least 2.5 - 4 years experienced person.

ivyctor2010
You are low on experience... For making into the top B Schools - a good score, work experience, professional skills and initiatives of the different kind, alluring extra curriculars not only at School but at present too and collaborative working away from work ( events , sports, innovating for a need) etc would be highly desirable.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

1879 people follow this discussion.