PaGaLGuY's Prepathon

Get access to great test material and prepare with friends! For CAT, IBPS, SSC-CGL and more!

Download for free.
About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Monil Ruparel @reachmonil

Tags

Phoren B-school Assistance Desk

Hie guys, We are starting this thread to _*cater to any generic queries related to B-schools abroad*_. You will also have veterans answer to your queries out here on the thread. Also, merging all relevant threads with this one. * * G...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 1 of 546   

Hi, all GMAT aspirants from Kolkata can discuss interview strategies on this thread

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/gmat-interview-prep-group-kolkata-based-34497976

GMAT Interview Prep group: Kolkata-based - PaGaLGuY
GMAT Interview Prep group: Kolkata-based - PaGaLGuY
To connect all GMAT enthusiasts and assist each other in securing our dream institutes.

Pagalguy

Hi

Just a short summary of my resume:

I am a CA, FRM and CFA level 3 candidate (positive result expected in Aug15). Currently, I am working with a big4 consulting firm as a financial due diligence professional (expect to get promoted in Oct15). Total post CA qualification workex of more than 3.5 years (2.5 years in current firm and 1 year in a small equity research firm). In addition, I did my CA internship from PWC (another Big4) and the same was post graduation. (I expect Adcoms to consider it. Therefore, including internship, a total workex of 6.5 years at the moment). No great extra-curriculars worth mentioning.

I will be sitting for GMAT this year and targeting  a score in the range of 710 to 730.

I wish to start my MBA in finance in 2016 with a specialization in corporate finance. I am looking for courses that have a tenure of 1 to 1.5 years.

I have 2 requests:

1. Kindly evaluate my profile

2. Kindly suggest which colleges I must target (would be helpful if we could categorize colleges into (a) Asia and (b) US and other countries)

Thanks !!!

• 1 Like   3 Comments
  • Thanks for the prompt reply Mansie ! I will sure have a l.... 02 Jul.
  • @blackwood Hi, Your profile seems too good. You can look.... 02 Jul.
blackwood
Black wood @blackwood 7

Thanks for the prompt reply Mansie ! I will sure have a look at the schools.

ThePrincetonReview
Manya-The Princeton Review @ThePrincetonReview 577
@blackwood

Hi, Your profile seems too good. You can look at schools like NUS ,NTU, SMU, Chicago Booth, Boston University, Rochestor Simon, Ohio Sate University etc.

Hello, 

Please evaluate my profile as under: 

10th: 92.6%

12th: 89.6%

Graduation: 7.78 CGPA

Qualification: B.Tech. , Computer Engg from NIT Jaipur

Work-experience: 3+ years by the time  September '16 fall batches start. Worked in tech consulting role with Deloitte and currently in Microsoft with similar work profile.

GMAT (yet to take). Expected score: 680-730

TOEFL(yet to take). Expected score: 100+

Institutes I am targetting: HEC Paris , NUS Singapore, HKUST, Booth,Northwestern University, ISB Hyderabad, SPJIMR.

Preferable domain: Marketing (brand management) / Strategy Consulting (IT) 

Financial Condition: Seek loan/ scholarship from schools. Intending to stay abroad for 4-5 years at least.

Please let me know how my profile looks like, and what are the things that I need to take care of, the schools that I should consider etc. I have been preparing for GMAT for over a month now, and would be taking the test by end of August '15.

• Hi @cooljishi, there is a lot more we need to know about .... 29 Jun.
  • @cooljishi Hi, your profile seems to be good dear. But w.... 30 Jun.
mba-help
MBA Decoder @mba-help 1,712

Hi @cooljishi, there is a lot more we need to know about your profile to tell you "what to take care of"- we first need to understand what you already have (and where you lack). 

Share details about your work experience (top achievements included), your extra curricular activities and career goals after you complete the MBA. 

You have a broad range of b-schools in your list, which is a good thing. We will need to know the questions above to understand your fit with them.

A range of 680-730 is too big- either side of the range can be a game changer. 

Namita Garg, MBA Decoder

http://mbadecoder.com/write-free-profile-evaluation/

ThePrincetonReview
@cooljishi

Hi, your profile seems to be good dear. But would like to bring to your notice that NUS, NTU, Booth and HEC Paris will be bit competitive as they generally accept applications with 5 years of experience on an average. I would rather suggest you to go for a 2 year program and apply to b schools like Wisconsin Madison, Kelley etc. Visit our Website for more info: http://www.manyagroup.com/

Hi,

I understand many schools do not accept a 3 year undergrad (15 year study) as valid for admission. Would want to know the top international colleges that do accept the same - Kindly help with a list of schools if available. GMAT score target 730+

• 3 Comments
  • @gauravpansari \- go through the link essays for 2015 on.... 24 Jun.
  • @gauravpansari Hi Gaurav, most of the top B schools acce.... 26 Jun.
mba-help
@gauravpansari

- go through the link essays for 2015 on our website :

http://mbadecoder.com/ . You will realize most b-schools actually do not have a problem with a 3 year undergrad (a couple of them do, just to give you the right information). 

Do make the adcom aware of your academic capabilities, and graded courses or certifications that you have completed after the undergrad, and you shall be okay

Namita Garg, MBA Decoder

ThePrincetonReview
@gauravpansari

Hi Gaurav, most of the top B schools accept 15 years of education. In USA B schools like Harvard, Stanford,Yale, Wharton etc.

Hi,

I am currently pursuing my MS in Industrial & Systems Engineering with full scholarship in one of the middle-tier institutes in the US. I am a Chemical Engineer as well from one of the top non-IIT institutes in India. Prior to coming here in the US for my Masters,I have had 3 years of project management experience in the oil & gas sector (projects were construction of refineries & utility plants) in India.

I am a Lean Six Sigma Green belt certified by ASQ and I am planning to go ahead with CSCP certification by the end of May 2016. I intend to have a career in SCM or Process Improvement in the short-term and get into Management consulting in the long-term(around 5 years time).

I have decent extra-curriculars in my Bachelors and have excellent ones in my Masters till now. I especially hold quite a few leadership roles in my current university in the US. My GRE score (May'11) is 326.TOEFL was 115 but needs to be given again since its valid only for 2 years.

I would like to do an MBA but I am not sure when and how to approach the plan. The best thing would be to get a job in the US, work for a couple of years and then get into a MBA program. However, I was exploring the option of going back to India, start working there and get into programs like the executive ones in the IIMs or ISB subsequently. How do you guys see this plan? How about applying to ISB immediately after going back to India? Anybody here has that kind of experience?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

• @pikz \- Hi Aveek, Higher education should not be looke.... 21 Jun.
  • @pikz Your profile seems good. My suggestion would be th.... 23 Jun.
The night is darkest just before dawn.
mba-help

@pikz - Hi Aveek, 

Higher education should not be looked upon as a check box that you need to tick. You have to enjoy the experience, not just complete the technical aspect (education).

You are on the verge of completing a course. As a next step, find a job in India or in the US and work for a couple of years. Apply the learnings and the practical experience that you got during the MS. When you feel the need to upgrade your skills a couple of years later, go for the MBA.

Moreover, two back to back courses may become monotonous. 

Namita Garg, MBA Decoder

Ask for a profile evaluation:

ThePrincetonReview

@pikz

Your profile seems good. My suggestion would be that you should work in the US for a couple of year and then apply for MBA.

Hi,

I have just given my gmat.I managed to get a 690 and I am planning to retake gmat.Could someone please help me with the choice of colleges I can opt to with this score?I have been primarily targeting Indian B schools such as ISB and SP jain.For ISB, I know I must score better.Could someone let me know if there is a good chance for SP Jain?I would also want to know about good international colleges, which could accept a 690.Due to financial constraints, I have never really  thought about an International B program.Are there any chances for Scholarships, with this score?It would be great if someone could help me.Thanks in Advance.

My Profile As follows:

X(CBSE): 90%

XII(CBSE): 86%

B.tech Computer Science:(75 %)

Work Ex: two years full time work ex which includes 5 months in TCS and the rest in INMOBI(An innovative mobile ad tech company which competes with the likes of google and fb).

Professional Achievements:

Had won Star performer award in TCS (training batch)

Have received SpotR awards at my current work place.

Extra-Curricular :

I have been really passionate about music and had a music band, at College.Have won prizes at music competitions.

Also, I am located in Bangalore.Would be great if there were some good admission consultants, who could help me with the process.

• 8 Comments
  • Hi @nair.varun2007, with the given years of work experien.... 19 Jun.
  • Thank you.I will take note of this and retake gmat.I cdn'.... 19 Jun.
ThePrincetonReview

Hi @nair.varun2007, with the given years of work experience I would suggest you to retake the test. 690 will be a low score in case you are planning to apply for ISB where the average goes around 700. With less years of experience B schools expect a high score from the candidate as it hasn't been to long that you have finished your bachelors. A high score showcases your academic ability to bear the rigor of the program. . Work experience require though is 3 years which I guess you will complete by the time you join.

nair.varun2007
Varun Nair @nair.varun2007 4

Thank you.I will take note of this and retake gmat.I cdn't prepare for the first attempt and took gmat a bit too lightly.Maybe it's time to focus

Can you please evaulate my profile:

i would preferrrably want to go to Canada but i am open to other countries where the job market is good and visa is not much of an issue.. i even thought of SDA Bocconi, IESE, IE as well as HEC in European countries..

1. Ivey
2. Schulich
3. Queens

They are also in considerations

Academics:

X-68.4%

XII-66.88%

Bachelor in Engg. Coumputers  (4 year Degree Course)-64.6%

Full Time MBA in IT 58%

Work Experience:

Total 3.5 years of exp in a IT profile as a Key account Manager and IT Consultant

Extra Curriculars:

1 I have Played state level Cricket .

2 Active observer of World Politics

3. Pro gamer

I am planning to give GMAT  before july , Even though i already have done my MBA but m looking for global exposure and want to go for double MBA ...

I think i can score around 660 in GMAT.. what all colleges could i go for ...And my prefercne is to get a JOB after MBA...I am also interested in Masters in International Relations jusst coz i love world politics. but i dont have much knowledge about IR colleges

Any of the smart brains and exp. people can help me with my profile. and please suggest me what can i do.

Thanks

• You can apply to the Canadian programs. There are a few .... 23 Apr.
  • Thanks Namita... do you have any info about good college.... 23 Apr.
mba-help

You can apply to the Canadian programs.

There are a few more such as Sauder, McGill and Rotman. 

Namita Garg

http://www.mbadecoder.com

jainnivesh
@jainnivesh 20

Thanks Namita...

do you have any info about good colleges for International Affairs..

And which colleges i can look after after scoring 650 approx with this profile

I have finally managed to convince my dad to let me go do my MBA abroad. He says to give him the details in a week. I have been doing some research but it's still all over the place. Can someone help? I hope I am not too late!

• 8 Comments
  • It is happening all over India, and it is happening in Hy.... 23 Apr.
  • Oh wow, will do that. Thanks!. 23 Apr.
sharma.belinda
@sharma.belinda

It is happening all over India, and it is happening in Hyderabad too. I went for the QS fair here in Mumbai, check it out.

charu.shah007
@charu.shah007

Oh wow, will do that. Thanks!

Can you please evaulate my profile:

Colleges I am targetting:

1) Top European Colleges in the same bracket as INSEAD

2) Top American Colleges in the same bracked as Wharton

3) Top Asian colleges in the same bracket as ISB and NIS

Academics:

X-66%

XII-60.33%

Bachelor in IT (3 year Degree Course)-55.6%

Work Experience:

3.5 Years in TCS (Worked with Clients like CITIGROUP and GE)

Role: Change Manager and ITIL process expert

Cetifications:

a) ITIL foundation

b) ITIL Intermediate

c) SIX SIGMA GREEN Belt awarded by GE

Extra Curriculars:

1) I play the Guitar, have played in a couple of local rock concerts.

2) Mentored final year BTECH students as part of Affirmative action programme by TATA Group. Have been rewarded by the same.

I am planning to give GMAT by the end of this year, I have been scoring 740+ in mocks and expecting my GMAT test results along similar lines. Please evaluate my profile, the thing thats haunting me the most is my academic profile. How would you evaulate my chances in Top Notch MBA colleges? What else do I need to add in my profile to increase my chances? Also, what would be my GPA approx?

• 1 Like   4 Comments
  • @mba-help I want to apply next year, so by that time, I w.... 13 Oct '14.
  • Hi Pradeep, Its going to be difficult to predict right no.... 13 Oct '14.
pradeep1388
hawk @pradeep1388 43

@mba-help I want to apply next year, so by that time, I will have 5 yrs of total work ex as a Change Manager. Given my present profile, which B schools should i apply to next year? 

mba-help

Hi Pradeep, Its going to be difficult to predict right now where you should apply next year. We will need to know more about you, but before that you will also need a GMAT score. 

You can send us your resume at contact@mbadecoder.com.

Namita Garg

Book your ISB MOCK interview with an alum: http://mbadecoder.com/?p=1336

Guys, if any one of you is planning to apply to top schools in US (HBS, Wharton, GSB and the likes) this year, reach out to me. We are piloting our platform (MentMo.com) and currently providing one free mentoring session by a current student or alumnus of these schools.

Good luck!

• 1 Like  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

2447 people follow this discussion.