About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Mahip Vyas @Mahip

Tags

PG Survey: What will you do if you become a Moderator/Administrator on PaGaLGuY.com?

Remember the essay topic in school -> "What will you do if you become the Prime Minister of India?" :: Lets relive that here --> *What will you do if you become a Moderator/Administrator on PaGaLGuY.com?* :: *We can then discuss...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 6 of 9   

Have never posted here :-)

But Iam planning to cleanup all those important threads & make it spam free

• 4 Likes  
Success retained me as a boy, but failure(s) made me a man IIM Calcutta - Class of 2012

Q.What will you do if you become a Moderator/Administrator on PaGaLGuY.com

A.Will Ban all other Moderators !

• 1 Like  
One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More
In old or closed threads,one must have an option of only going through the thanked posts......

I mean,let us consider the CAT 2007 OVERALL DISCUSSION thread.......

Many useful informations r there..But all lost among so many un-useful posts.....

It will be really helpful for many of us..

Somak - This is the correct thread for your suggestion.

• 1 Like  

In old or closed threads,one must have an option of only going through the thanked posts......

I mean,let us consider the CAT 2007 OVERALL DISCUSSION thread.......

Many useful informations r there..But all lost among so many un-useful posts.....

It will be really helpful for many of us..

guys...
i have a query,
whenever we post something in a new thread, the notification for the same becomes instant. which means that if there is any new post for that thread, an instant e-mail notification is sent.
bharath

In User Control Panel, click on Edit options and a new page will be displayed.

You can change the option in Default Thread Subscription Mode to no email notification.

And then you'll stop receiving e-mails.
  • 5 Likes  

Hmm . well i ll put my 2 cents

If i become a mod

1) There is very little modding in the GMAT and B School discussions thread. Lotsa noobies in the GMAT section. I know Neo is modding there, but I have seen lotsa mail id's and phone numbers in posts.

2) I think the mod's are supopsed to move old useless threads in the trash. Correct me if i am wrong. What abt multiple threads. In result season, we have 3 4 threads for results of each college. I dunno if the redundant ones ever get deleted. This is unattractive work ( more like documentation ) and no thanks or PC ++ , but very very essential to main the quality of threads and posts.

3) The definition of Chit Chat needs a overhaul ( this is where Admin comes in ). Long have users quoted the definition of Chit Chat sectiona and argued on a lot of things. End the arguments, period. Even the constitution is changed sometimes. Make a change in the rules and stop the fighting.

4) 1 more for Admin - MODS now busy / unavailable shd be replaced, than have them just for namesake. I am not saying remove them. Give them any status you wish, but dont count them in the MODing business if they r not available atleast for 40 hrs a week. The forum is at a very critical stage now. With the number of users exploding, we need more MODS and more active participation from them.
1 Green MOD for every section is needed.

Will add more later, if anything comes to mind

• 7 Likes  

Hey akhil,
see I am not cming to the rescue of the mods over here or anything... but this one statement of yours is highly prejudiced and presumptuous!!

(wonder their salary increments and bonuses are decided on the basis of "Who suspends how many members" and "closes how many threads?")
see.. first of all, the people who beme mods are never paid for it... It is a throughly voluntary post.. So if you are selected as a mod, please don't expect a salary hike. ;)

Now lets just come to the other claims you have made!!
(starting from bottom to top)
7. I WILL NOT SNIP POSTS
uhh.. dude, just go through these posts
here

and there were more like these (check next page)...
So before making claims like Thou shalt not snip, see what is happening in the threads.. Now maybe in the chit chat section it doesn't make much sense.. but it does in the other sections!! and in some cases even here..
Try to view it as a public forum with a very large following (yes even the profs of ur bskool might be following it)...

6. I WILL NOT SPAM
Now this is hard.. at some time or the other, everyone spams.. makes posts which have no point other than to console people, give a tiny bit of info, as a tiny bit of info etc etc.. It is to be expected from all and sundry (even though several of the current batch of mods might disagree with me over here). :biggrin:

5. I will not abruptly close a thread
:thumbsup:
Some thing which I am very much for. good point dude!

4. I will not interfere in threads just for the heck of it.. and if by habit I do, I will try to add some value to it
Boss, you will be expeted to take part in threads just for the heck of it and do nothing but encourage people.
Have a look at the thing rohit (gnrs) did in the "results frozen" thread! (and man.. did we all need that. thanks rohit)

See from time to time it is expected from the mod to "exercise a bit of control" over the general feeling of the junta.
Making of excessive clones, swearing unnecessarily, fighting amongst members, excessive posting going on etc are some of the things in which he/she has to get in and make his presence felt and nothing more!

3. I will not preach, and if by habit I do preach, I will practice wat i preach
2. I will not be a hypocrite, nor will I support one
1. I will not believe in double standards
Perfect dude... But then the majority of the mods in the majority of the time do the same. Just their way of thinking may not match soe of the times with the people being oppressed.

So all I am saying is.. instead of making accusations at the current mods, we should think of new and novel things in this thread..
What you have suggested is what constitutes a perfect mod and is expected of him. but this thread is about some new and novel things you will introduce.

Lets keep this thread for what it was meant and not another platform to take a pot shot at the mods shall we???

As you said akhil, I request you to take this as a feedback kind of a post and not any particular animosity towards you..
Cheers

EDIT: @subodh: no exiles please... this feels stupid to me...
  • 5 Likes  

The problem according to me stems from the Mods' tendency not to segregate their User Role and Mod Role.

One thing that I have noted here is that mostly diplomatic people has been provided the honors of Modship.. That in the very essence is misunderstanding that a vociferous user cant be a Mod.. No matter how diplomatic a user is - as long as he does not segregate his twin roles, he cant be a good Mod.

Now, it is difficult to do, but not impossible if a conscious attention is made. Suppose, for example, I am a Mod and I have a very strong opinion in favor of some point and I come heavily in the support of that point.

Now some user asks me to refrain from posting some words that I used because I myself asked others to refrain from using them..

Now the best approach is to go ahead and snip my own post. That is the segregation of the role. As a user you can still justify ur choice of words, but as a Mod, u have to snip it...

Here, what I see is that Mods have stopped being vocal about arguments just because they think that they are moderators and hence not entitled to have strong opinions but that is basically not fulfilling either role - a user or a Moderator.

So what I will do if I become a Mod: -
1. I will give a conscious attention to the segregation of my role as a User and as a Moderator, and will come down on Subodh - the user heavily.
2. I will try to limit my Mod role as much as possible so that a free market can operate, only intervening when a serious issue is at hand..

PS - I am going into a self-imposed exile as I think I will anyways be asked to stay off from PG now.. My Last Post on PG..

• 3 Likes  

Just noticed this thread.. it has been here since a long time but never seemed to care about it...until a very recent incident (closing of the "extreme Pagal" thread) incited me to do so and reply on this thread..

I know i shudnt be passing judgments based on 1 such incident, but then it takes just 1 bad interview to lose out on a seat, just 1 bad post to ruin yur image...

I have just diverted a bit from the subject of this thread
Will be listing a few things I will not do... (Mods I hope i m allowed to post them?)

So here goes:
If I become a Mod @ PG:-
1. I will not believe in double standards
I dont think an explanation/example is required here.. happens often

2. I will not be a hypocrite, nor will I support one
Same as above

3. I will not preach, and if by habit I do preach, I will practice wat i preach

As subodh rightly pointed out:

Originally Posted by estranged_gnrs View Post
This is my personal opinion here,
No encouragement to intellectual masturbation on PG forums.
Cheers,
Rohit
Subodh says:
Extremely lame attempt at humor, Rohit..

And I wonder where has your sense of choosing words and lecturing others on choosing them have gone. At least Walk the Talk. It is very easy to suggest to Man_fri or whoever else is there to use these words in place of that but try practicing themselves. Or is it that you forget everything that u teach in anger.

4. I will not interfere in threads just for the heck of it.. and if by habit I do, I will try to add some value to it

Posted by Apurv

The intellectual soliloquizing ..................

Dont even feel like quoting the entire post... wat a waste

5. I will not abruptly close a thread

Thts the worst tht cud hav happened and i must say Mr. Pagalguy set a real bad example of himself by closing the thread offering no explanation watsoever..

See, i know hes a busy chap..so he just decided not to take the pains of going through the entire thread

So, this is wat i think Mr. Pagalguy did/thought wen he noticed tht thread "Extreme Pagalhood"..
(wait!!! did he notice it himself, or did the other mods ask him to come to their rescue???)

He read the first few posts, most probably he agreed with nikkers post , then clicked on the Post Reply tab, or was it the Quick Reply tab??? (watever)

and posted his reply, closed the thread and disappeared ..

Hes the boss of MODS after all, noone here can refute him rite.. "THREAD CLOSED"
Tht just ends it all rite...
(Had a strong urge of starting a thread "Why was the Extreme PAgal" thread closed?"..
But decided against it.. even tht wud have been closed...wat the heck!!!)

Such a pity he didnt even bother to read tht post by man friday which had suggestions which cud have been discussed .. all for the betterment and improvement of PG...
A snippet of the same:

Perhaps what you could do is moot a separate section to discuss social and political issues (or whatever else you see fit) and then one of you volunteer to be a mod on this section, without restricting anyone's acces to it. That way you can filter out the spam and repeated points, but at the same time allow everybody who genuinely wants to make a contribution to post.

And is this the first time the Mods hav done this, of course NOT
They do it time and again

(wonder their salary increments and bonuses are decided on the basis of "Who suspends how many members" and "closes how many threads?")

ok here are the last 2, both are my favourites,

6. I WILL NOT SPAM
7. I WILL NOT SNIP POSTS

Above all,
HERES ONE THING THT I MUST DO AS A MOD:

I will follow all the rules of Pagalguy.. (LEAD BY EXAMPLE)

And will definitely abide by the above-mentioned "Do-not" rules

Cheers !!!

PS: MODS: Pls take it in the right spirit (feedback, thts wat this thread was meant for)
Otherwise, u have all the rights to ban/suspend me, snip the post, close the thread, the works.....
  • 12 Likes  

IF.....

i'll bring in military rule ...

Too much of indiscipline.....tk d spammers to task....:snipersm:
n give more powers to the mods....

Maybe thtz why I shud rather not be one....

ciao ppl...

• 3 Likes  

Something similar yet serious discussion's been taken place in Internation/ GNAT section.
I suggest ^Authorities^ to have look at that thread as well.
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/how-can-we-improve-the-gmat-section-25020585

Thank you.

GMAT Blog http://gmat.amrute.me

guys...
i have a query,
whenever we post something in a new thread, the notification for the same becomes instant. which means that if there is any new post for that thread, an instant e-mail notification is sent.
though this is convinient at times, its not something that is preferrable all the time.
why is the default for this as instant Notification.
can we be given an option at the time of posting itself, so that we dont have to go and manually turn it off.
this in my office with such slow net connection is a pain.
and by the time i turn it off, there are a couple of posts which means a couple of mails in my inbox waiting to be deleted.

bharath

Give myself the title of
" Master Of The Universe" or something along that lines instead of plain ol' moderator

Hola..!!

Looks like the Mods are starting to get pangs of self doubt in their system ...

but what the heck .. you want ideas , v'll give it to you ..

One concept I've seen rampant in PG is banning of people , Though the idea may seem valid to some , It doesnt seem right to ban a person , I mean he's not a criminal is he , spamming a thread may not be spamming in his dictionary .. ok leave spamming , i've heard of people being banned coz they were flirting on sb ( I don't know how much of this is true .. being a newbie myself ) but u get my point .

1. No banning under my rule ..

Someone remarked on the sb thread , that almost no newbies visit it .. why is thats so .. I being a newbie ..( i first came to sb when i was jst 7 posts old ... nt even knwing what sb stands for ... was helped by a fren i knew frm before .. so was able to withstand the onslaught of ridicule and accusations that were thrown at me .. heck i think i even took down sum people with me .. but there was help frm the oldies too ..

2. Make Sb more visible .. give newbies a chance to interact more ,maybe make some friends and hence enhance their activity on PG .. ( I knw i wasnt active much before I was introduced to the coolest avatar thread..)

Somebody said that modding of the mods is already present .. so will skip that point ..

someone pointed out the flaw in the search system , which i've also faced sumtimes .. so will be skipping dat point ..

closing of a thread is not really dat gr8 .. coz even if a thread has lost its importance , and all just the people are doing is writing their views ( you may call it spamming ..) .. but even that has a charm to it ..whats the problem if a guy or two posts some more posts .. if its as useless as you say it is , then it'll not get any posts at all

3. Remove the option of closing a thread

fixed mods .. though with the option of modding the mods ... are still quie free from the worries of a normal PGite.. the mods should relinquish their powers to a worthy successor every 1 yr , so that new people begin seeing PG from a Mod's perspective .. that can improve the environment of Pg ..

4. pass a law about changing the Mod every year .

Thats all i can think about right now...

more later ..

adieus
Rishabh

• 4 Likes  

if i were the admin ... i would have forced you (subhod) to visit GMAT section
gatcha

but then its a democracy right? cant force anybody Kya karu ?

i hope you got my point dear friend :)
... give and u ll be given more

• 1 Like  
GMAT Blog http://gmat.amrute.me

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

103 people follow this discussion.