About this discussion

Last updated

Author
@mmon

Tags

Oxford Said & Cambridge Judge MBA 2012 applicants & admits

I am starting this thread for the prospective students and applicants for the above two school. I am planning to apply in the R1 for both the school, the deadline for submitting application is - Cambridge - 23rd Sep,'11 Oxford - 14th Oct,'11...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 2 of 10   

The R2 results will be out tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

• 2 Likes  

I am an MFE aspirant to Oxford and also have got an interview call for Round 2. Any other MFE applicants here preparing fr interview?

Admissions 2015 @ Great Lakes

PGPM 2015-16

1 Year Fast Track MBA Program for experienced professionals. 

App. Deadline (Cycle 2): 24 Jan. 2015

PGDM 2015-17

2 Year MBA program for graduates with 0-2 years of experience. 

Learn More

Global Faculty and internationally benchmarked curriculum

Accredited by AMBA, UK (PGPM & PGXPM Programs)

Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in One Year MBA Programs (2014)

Ranked 10th by Business India in Top B-Schools (2014)

Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs p.a. for PGPM 2013-14 &

Avg. CTC of INR 8.07 Lakhs p.a. for PGDM 2012-14

Know More

Hi Puys and Mr. Conrad,

Does anyone know details about JBS loan program. Is the loan program available through JBS available for without a co-signor, just like SBS has a tie up for a loan program without a co-signor.

I think its an important consideration, knowing that schols maybe tough to get and that it maybe tough to get financing for studying abroad.

Lemme know what u guys think...

Interesting comments throughout the thread. Well I guess I have much to contribute to help all those thinking of doing an MBA from the UK.
Firstly, no jobs. PSW (post study work visa) or not (which again is getting stopped from this year) jobs are very scarce and the current government is under immense pressure to not allow foreigners to land up jobs on UK shores. Of course you might find some odd jobs but you do not really wish to be MacD guy with an MBA do you?
So if you have a problem with money I guess its not good to come unless you are graduating from LBS. However, the experience was really good. Lots of exposure, different styles of teaching, different people and I made a whole lot of friends from different nations. Studies is good and standards are high. Its a one year course and you need to get a distinction (70%) to be actually considered for any decent job but 70% there is way harder than that in India.
For anyone dissing the UK, I agree it is a risk. If you are an average student with no family business back up then do not go. However if you are good or have some money to spare and really tired of some 3-4 lac job in India just go.
For anyone comparing jobs in India to the UK: In India you can never work in a restaurant and still support yourself. Unless you have IIT/IIM brand it is still hard to get a job. Naukri.com reports 5000 applications for each management level fresher/1-2 yrs work ex job. So India is not rosy. Yes, due to the stupid conversion rate things just seem very expensive to someone from India to the UK but so says my friend who is from Bihar about Mumbai.
My quals: BTech Chem Engg IIT-G, MS Pharmacy USC, MBA Warwick.
And honest reply regarding jobs. I am working in a top MNC in Mumbai with a salary of 13 lacs pa. Before I went abroad I was working at 8 lacs pa. My girlfriend who is just graduating from IIM-L is getting 14 lacs pa on joining with 0 exp. And I was basically hired on my IIT undergrad degree. So studying abroad makes little difference. And even makes me rather frustrated with work life in India sometimes. But the problem is this, the 3 persons directly reporting to me have all got MBA's and are engineers from Mumbai university or some other relatively lesser known colleges. And they all get something like 4-5 lacs pa with 5-6 yrs more experience than me. Considering that a very small percentage will get through IIT/IIM it seems terrible that employers in India are so biased.
Lastly, jobs are all about contacts. Frankly I got this job after wasting 2 months in the UK through a IIT senior and even now recruits are 40% via contacts and the rest through personal talent etc. So maintain those contacts always.
Anyone can ask me anything about interviews, GRE,GMAT whatever. Never gave CAT but even IITJEE questions are welcome. And since I have studied in both the US and UK I am equipped to handle both :)).
Currently, got admitted in Cambridge Judge for PhD in Business with awesome stipend (after my share of 3 straight rejects) so will be off this October. PhD in business in interesting and a topic best left for later.
Thanks for reading and all the best. Shoot me questions and I will try to answer as much as I can....

pazuzuinxs - Your achievements in your educational career have been great. But to me, that does not guarantee a great post mba job. Job profile is directly related to your previous experience at work. Any degree has diminishing returns.:|
  • 1 Like  

hmmm The European situation is alarming but it is for everyone from Oxbridge to LBS to INSEAD and although INSEAD and LBS are quite high in the rankings but they have a lot more candidates than Oxbridge .... so the situation is going to be gloomy ...... Let's just hope things don't get worse as they are not likely to get better for sure.

And as I believe, the brand will help you, if not today .... a couple of years from now for sure.

• 1 Like  

Euro-zone is entering its second recession in 3 years. ET news article paints a very gloomy picture. Puys do take an informed decision w.r.t pursuing a MBA from the UK in the current scenario.

Euro zone economy to shrink in 2012, EU stagnates - The Economic Times

Hi Guys,

Can any of the admits to Judge Business School share information regarding the loan. The website of JBS says that we can get 28k + 5k of loan. However, the terms and conditions are not disclosed. Is this loan available for Indian applicants and does it require any co-signor.

For myslef, I need a loan without a cosignor for pursuing MBA at Judge or Said. In Said the loan is only available fo round 1 and round 2 applicants. Hence I am hoping to know more about the JBS loan scheme.

Please share details.

purvi239 Says
Could you share your profile

Close to 9 years exp; IT MNC ; business development/management; Now in US; good international experience; Engineering non-iit; average GPA; 710 GMAT : that is me in a nutshell

@addiegloriam thanks for the post
Clarifications since I wrote the post very late at night there are bound to be errors...
As you said, brand is important and only the best matters. Holds true for both India and the UK. If you graduate from Oxbridge then you do have a brand, if you do from say Cardiff or Lancaster you do not even though they are both Russel group (eqv to ivy league) Uni's. And there is no placement week so you got to rough it up after you graduate.
I just wanted to say clearly that do not go unless you have a financial back up or are extremely smart. I have seen too many people with huge loans and mortgages ending up with no job and a lot of trauma. Plus on campus employment is hard and its even harder to do well if you work outside besides studying. So in short its a big bill to foot. But its also a great and cherishable personal experience. So finally it is up to you to weigh the pros and cons and decide accordingly.
Also an important point is that though the UK MBA is expensive it is still cheaper than the US. In USC where I did my MS the fees were like 90k $ per year and thats just fees.
And about the PhD, I just felt I wanted to do research and that's where my interest lies. And research in India is simply not good enough thus prompting my return to the UK. Also I felt that maybe I had come back too soon without giving the job market there a proper try and now with better experience I might stand a better chance ;)....

@pazuzuinxs

Hi, A very interesting post but it leaves me a bit confused ....... you start with the cons of studying in the UK (unless it's LBS), although you do emphasis on the quality of the education but then you move on to criticizing the employment scene in India and end with the update that you are headed back to the UK to pursue a PhD.
I am sorry if I am being a little forthright here .... I know a couple of people who did not find a job after graduating from good schools like MBS , Cranfield etc ... but I would imagine that SBS is a brand and hence the employ-ability of a candidate will be better if he / she graduates from SBS (I may be wrong) ... Also, anyone going abroad for an education should be aware of the fact that unlike in India, there is nothing like a placement week abroad wherein potential employers visit the campus and the entire class is placed within a couple of days. Every school website I have been to, emphasizes on the importance of networking.

I guess anyone travelling abroad needs to make an informed decision as the stakes are high and for that it would be good if any present student can spare some time and provide inputs in terms of career prospects post graduating from Oxford.

Rest, i don't see things improving in Europe for the next year and a half atleast so I guess whoever is on this thread has taken that into account and is willing to take the plunge.

My own opinion is that the brand Oxford does matter a lot and in a career spanning 30 years, it would hold a person in good stead in the long run (if not immediately) .... but then that's my individual opinion.

More Later .....

Interesting comments throughout the thread. Well I guess I have much to contribute to help all those thinking of doing an MBA from the UK.
Firstly, no jobs. PSW (post study work visa) or not (which again is getting stopped from this year) jobs are very scarce and the current government is under immense pressure to not allow foreigners to land up jobs on UK shores. Of course you might find some odd jobs but you do not really wish to be MacD guy with an MBA do you?
So if you have a problem with money I guess its not good to come unless you are graduating from LBS. However, the experience was really good. Lots of exposure, different styles of teaching, different people and I made a whole lot of friends from different nations. Studies is good and standards are high. Its a one year course and you need to get a distinction (70%) to be actually considered for any decent job but 70% there is way harder than that in India.
For anyone dissing the UK, I agree it is a risk. If you are an average student with no family business back up then do not go. However if you are good or have some money to spare and really tired of some 3-4 lac job in India just go.
For anyone comparing jobs in India to the UK: In India you can never work in a restaurant and still support yourself. Unless you have IIT/IIM brand it is still hard to get a job. Naukri.com reports 5000 applications for each management level fresher/1-2 yrs work ex job. So India is not rosy. Yes, due to the stupid conversion rate things just seem very expensive to someone from India to the UK but so says my friend who is from Bihar about Mumbai.
My quals: BTech Chem Engg IIT-G, MS Pharmacy USC, MBA Warwick.
And honest reply regarding jobs. I am working in a top MNC in Mumbai with a salary of 13 lacs pa. Before I went abroad I was working at 8 lacs pa. My girlfriend who is just graduating from IIM-L is getting 14 lacs pa on joining with 0 exp. And I was basically hired on my IIT undergrad degree. So studying abroad makes little difference. And even makes me rather frustrated with work life in India sometimes. But the problem is this, the 3 persons directly reporting to me have all got MBA's and are engineers from Mumbai university or some other relatively lesser known colleges. And they all get something like 4-5 lacs pa with 5-6 yrs more experience than me. Considering that a very small percentage will get through IIT/IIM it seems terrible that employers in India are so biased.
Lastly, jobs are all about contacts. Frankly I got this job after wasting 2 months in the UK through a IIT senior and even now recruits are 40% via contacts and the rest through personal talent etc. So maintain those contacts always.
Anyone can ask me anything about interviews, GRE,GMAT whatever. Never gave CAT but even IITJEE questions are welcome. And since I have studied in both the US and UK I am equipped to handle both :)).
Currently, got admitted in Cambridge Judge for PhD in Business with awesome stipend (after my share of 3 straight rejects) so will be off this October. PhD in business in interesting and a topic best left for later.
Thanks for reading and all the best. Shoot me questions and I will try to answer as much as I can....

• 2 Likes  
nobodyhasthisid Says
U might want to try out gmatclub for such inputs/details on international schools...

Thanks a ton buddy.. I'm sure it'll help
Thanks for your prompt reply buddy ! It'll help !
Can I overstay the welcome a bit?
I mean can you also tell me where to find experiences or questions to prepare for forthcoming Sad interview OR even any general tips or guidelines will help? Unlike ISB thread, this thread has hardly any experiences or material ?

U might want to try out gmatclub for such inputs/details on international schools...
  • 1 Like  
My 2 cents:

USPs of any International General Management (MBA) Class on which i would evaluate an MBA (General management) program:

I hope this helps....

GODSPEED & ATB

Thanks for your prompt reply buddy ! It'll help !
Can I overstay the welcome a bit?
I mean can you also tell me where to find experiences or questions to prepare for forthcoming Sad interview OR even any general tips or guidelines will help? Unlike ISB thread, this thread has hardly any experiences or material ?
KIRANR9P Says
I just got an invite for interview.

Could you share your profile

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

61 people follow this discussion.