PaGaLGuY's Prepathon

Get access to great test material and prepare with friends! For CAT, IBPS, SSC-CGL and more!

Download for free.
About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Vishal R @vishal.das

Tags

Official Quant Thread for CAT 2012 [Part 1]

Hi puys, CAT 2011 season is finally over :: :: Let start a new season of Quants thread for CAT 2012.. :: :: Here are few links of Quants thread for CAT 2011 season... Part-8 http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/quanti...at-...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 252 of 981   
Tournament Model Containing League Matches And Rounds

As we have come across many sets In the History of CAT...Tournament Model Sets Play A Vital Role...Here are few Strategies to Crack these kind of Questions in the Exam...

Concept

Let The Number of Teams Be 'n' And Each team Plays with Each other..Much of Like IPL and EPL...Then The Number of Matches Which Are to Be Played Are: nC2...For Example There Are 8 Teams..Then The Number of Matches = 8C2 = 28

Number of wins necessary for a team to ensure its place in next round is: +1..For Example..There Are 8 teams playing...So the Number of wins necessary for a team to ensure its place in next round is Greatest Integer Function(root(8c2)) + 1 = 5+1 = 6

If there is Football/Hockey tournament going on..And Partial Data is provided...(Remember A Hockey Set in CAT 2004)...Always Look For Key Facts:
Number Of Wins = Number Of Losses

Sum Of Draws In A Tournament Will Always Be An Even Number

Sigma(GF - GA) = sigma(GD) = 0...Always

If point system like...2 for win,1 for tie to each, 0 for loss is given...Always look out for Total Number Of Points Awarded In A Tournament...Because Number of Points Awarded In A Match will always be 2..(One Team would Win and Other Will Lose or Both of them Would Have A Draw)...Total Points Awarded In a Match would be = Number Of Matches * Total Points Given Per Match

If a variable data is given like...3 for win..And 1 each for draw...Use Equations..Here We Know that..Points Awarded In A match when it results in A win/loss = 3..And Points Awarded In A match ending in A draw = 2....Then Use Equations..Let x matches ended In Draw, and y match had definite result(either win/loss)..Then...2x+3y = Total Points Awarded...And x+y = Total Number Matches...From here..It would be Easy to find which of the matches Ended in A draw or definite result.

Consider A Score Line of this Type:

Team_____GF____GA___GD___
India_______ 4______4_____0____
Pakistan____ 4______5_____-1___
Australia____ -______-_____-1___
Spain_______6______4______2___
England_____ -______3_____2____
Brazil_______ -______6_____-____

In here..We don't know GF by Australia, England, Brazil...GA by Australia...GD of Brazil..... But We Know that....Summation of All Goal Difference = 0 So...GD for Brazil = Let say x x+0+(-1)+(-1)+2+2 = 0 So x = -2 Which Gives GF = 4 by Brazil...

Some Cents On Cricket Sets Too

Cricket Sets Like Football/Hockey Sets Are Similar. Instead of GF,GD,GA...we have Net Run Rate...Which is Calculated by X-Y

Where X = Total Runs Scored By A Team Till That Match/Total Numbers of Overs Played And Y = Total Runs Scored Against That Team till that Match/Total Number Of Overs Played By All the Opponents

In Simple Words... Let there Be 3 teams..India, Pakistan, Australia... Match 1 = India(301-6 in 50 overs) beat Pakistan(256-10 in 45 overs) by 45 runs Match 2 = India(245-7 in 42 overs) beat Australia(241-5 in 50 Overs) by 3 wickets Match 3 = Australia(276-10 in 48 Overs) beat Pakistan(250-5 in 50 Overs) by 26 runs

Here Runs Scored By India = 546 in 92 overs Runs Scored Against India = 497 in 95 overs So NRR = 546/92 - 497/95 = +0.7(approx)

Similarly We can calculate NRR for Australia As Well As Pakistan ...Which Comes out to be -0.11 and -0.58 respectively.....Here Also We can See that Roughly Summation of NRR of All teams = 0
  • 6 Likes  
Commenting on this post has been disabled.
dd017 Says
Yaa answer e) hain...I am totallllly confused..Sir..can u please upload your venn diagram to make me clear

check the figure you would understand. Conclusion '2' is not always true

answer should be 'e'

Let f(x ,y) be a function satisfying f(x ,y)=f(2x + 2y, 2y -2x) for all x , y. Define g(x)=f(2^x , 0). What is the minimum positive integer p if g(x+p)=g(x) for all x?
(a) 4 (b) 6 (c) 8 (d) 12 (e) none of the foregoing

Neither holds true?
1 ka 50-50 hai. but inn questions mein u hv to be sure. So i wld go with option e.

Yaa answer e) hain...I am totallllly confused..Sir..can u please upload your venn diagram to make me clear
Q-2)Statements : All districts are cities
All states are cities
Some cities are countries
Conclusion :--1)Some states are districts
2)Some countries are states
Jaikishan bhai if dis is entire question
what should i write as answer
a)If only conclusion 1 follow
b)If only conclusion 2 follow
c)Either conclusion 1 or 2 follow
d)IF both conclusion 1 and 2 follow
e)If neither conclusion 1 nor 2 follow

Neither holds true?
1 ka 50-50 hai. but inn questions mein u hv to be sure. So i wld go with option e.
  • 1 Like  
jaikishan.n Says
i would go with b) because 1 can/cannot be true

jaikishan bhai..2) to wrong hen hain na..please check it once again..I am not gettin it completely Inspite of seeing your diagrams..
All states are cities

i would go with b) because 1 can/cannot be true

Reply to the next quote : bhai should be 'e' i got confused between countries and cities

Answer should be "E"

P.S : Call me Jai ya fir Jackie
  • 1 Like  

All states are cities

Q-1)Statements : All stones are poles
All poles are desks
Some desks are nets
All nets are days
Conclusion :--Some desks are stones??
Guys Please tell me whether the above condition holds true or false??
All states are cities
Conclusion :--Some states are districts???
Guys Please tell me whether the above condition holds true or false??

P.S:-Same Book are giving contradictory answers to this questions..Please Help me Out Puyss..

Statements : All stones are poles
All poles are desks
Some desks are nets
All nets are days

attachment for venn diagrams
  • 1 Like  
dd017 Says
Yaar Wrong Answer..Guys please tell me right answers

Yar galat type kar dia tha.

1 will hold true.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

377 people follow this discussion.