About this discussion

Last updated

Author
@vinvin_123

Tags

Official 2005- Admits to UK univs for MBA,Msc mgmt,finance..

Hi there guys and gals, searched quite a bit but could not find any thread which had the list of ppl going to UK this sept for their MBA or Msc in any particular field of mgmt, hence this new thread. In this thread ppl pls post which uni...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 14 of 19   
Hi Friends,
I am a Software Engineer working in pune (work ex of 10 months approx.). I am a B.Tech (CS) + C-DAC. Planning to do an MBA, may be this year end or the next. Can u friends pls guide me on:

1. Which are the top ten B-Schools in UK.

2. What is the approx cost (tution+living) in Indian Rupees and course duration.
3. What are the exams needed to be taken.
4. What is the minimum work-ex needed.
5. Can I get a quite decent MBA without shelling a hell lot for that foren degree
6. Is it worth the investment. What is the avg package an MBA can expect :smile:
7. Which consultant should i go for in Pune.
I hope you would provide me the answers.
Regards
Aseem

hey man,

1) abt the top ten schools, frankly dont believe the rankings, RAE ratings is what i look and ofcourse the course content, cost, etc..these are more imp,

2) The MBA courses are really costly will cost anything between 15- 40 lakhs, but the Msc courses are much cheaper , maybe in the range of 10-25 lakhs,

3) Some top schools ask GMAT, another exam to give is IELTS, if its waved of then good, but preferably give it as it may help in visa process as pankaj pointed out,

4) for schools which are AMBA or equis accredited they need a min 3 yrs wrk ex, but msc courses dont need such work ex, also since your a engg. u hav to hav a concrete reason to get into a school , bcas they will find a little strange that a science student wants to do MBA.

5)well it depends on what is your budget man..

6)see as far i see, if u can get hold of a job there after a MBA, u can earn anything between 15 lakhs to 40 lakhs per annum, the more work ex the better chances of a higher package, but again getting a job is not a 100 % gurantee.

7) i think u have edwise there.. others i dont hav much of an idea, guys from pune pls chip in...

hope this info helps,

and can u plz highlight abt the jobs avilable at cardiff and wat the place like.. as not much heared of it...

abt the job posting u can check out the cardiff students websites, the place is small but a great city, many things to do there... again for more info abt the city u cud search the BBC website to know more abt cardiff.

vinod.k
hey ppl

vinvin and all u ppl ..who hav been much into the uk university scenario kindly help ...

vinvin , i have been reading ur posts .....it seems u had prepared for the statement of purpose ..if u could suggest me some good sites where i can prepare an sop ..for my self too ....

waiting for help
thanxs

hey sorry for the delayed reply, ok getting back to business, abt the SOP see i went thru a few SOPs on the web the one u quoted was good also there a few more...
but more imp than that is that u hav to be very honest and try and present things in a clear and precise manner, more over the most imp thing to remember is that u hav to avoid trying to sound desperate...if u want i will post my SOP...it might give u some directions,

Abt the IELTS, i didnt give one as it was waved of for me, and to a certain extent understand british english (thanks to HBO , star movies), lets see will apply for the visa some time end of this month, so will give a clear picture then..

finally congrats on your entry to stratcylde, a good school..more over glasgow is a great place, hav been there, quite a few indians out there..well sure we all can meet some where in UK, or just before leaving,

cheers,

vinod.k
One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More

hey going to strathclyde b school this sep for ms in operations research any chance of meeting any of u guys there??

pankaj ..

can u help me ...abt the books and all required for ielts ...is it necesary to join a coaching instt ..for ielts ...???

have u given the ielts exam ..can u provide a purview of what the exam consists of ..and how to tackle it ....

also ....all u ppl going to uk please suggest me good sites for writing statement of purpose .....already know one ....i.e www.statementofpurpose .com ....

plz chip in more ...if anyone knows ...any other gud site

thanxs

hello..

the books required for ielts is nothin in such tough(not requir 2 join any institute),, but u can get that book in any good book store,,, like landmark, gangaram in bangalore, om in delhi, oxford and many more,

but its bettre to go for the test series book and 2 audio cassetes which u can purschase from british council at a price of 800. thes eis the 1 which i m reffering to and doin good.

the ielts test is divided into four sections,, of listing , reading, writing and speaking.

in lisiting section u willbe given some data like fil in the blanks and u hav to fill those up by listing a conversation in the audio devics.

in writing you will be given 2 topic abt wchich u hav to right in 150 annd 250 words.

reading is as simple as passage followed by quest and ans,

in speaking u will be intervied in which u would be asked abt ur personal details , wats aim, wy doin these course,,and all.... and u will be given a topic to speak for 2 min, and a question answar session on the topic .#

i m goin to give ielts on 9th july,,

and statement of purpose is nothing but a statement which should be convincible enough for the intervier and visa officer that what is ur education earlier, wat do u wana do in life , ur aim, and how the course will be helful to achive ur goal.

and the best is that i didnt hav anny problem bcaz oone of mu cousin is providing all these inormation as he had open an counsulatncy for student goin abroad for free.
PANKAJ
Hi Friends,
I am a Software Engineer working in pune (work ex of 10 months approx.). I am a B.Tech (CS) + C-DAC. Planning to do an MBA, may be this year end or the next. Can u friends pls guide me on:

1. Which are the top ten B-Schools in UK.

2. What is the approx cost (tution+living) in Indian Rupees and course duration.
3. What are the exams needed to be taken.
4. What is the minimum work-ex needed.
5. Can I get a quite decent MBA without shelling a hell lot for that foren degree
6. Is it worth the investment. What is the avg package an MBA can expect :smile:
7. Which consultant should i go for in Pune.
I hope you would provide me the answers.
Regards
Aseem

pankaj ..

can u help me ...abt the books and all required for ielts ...is it necesary to join a coaching instt ..for ielts ...???

have u given the ielts exam ..can u provide a purview of what the exam consists of ..and how to tackle it ....

also ....all u ppl going to uk please suggest me good sites for writing statement of purpose .....already know one ....i.e www.statementofpurpose .com ....

plz chip in more ...if anyone knows ...any other gud site

thanxs

hi,,

thnx vinod for ur book list..

and can u plz highlight abt the jobs avilable at cardiff and wat the place like.. as not much heared of it...

and ys11,,,,, dont know much abt reading university,,, but definately for ielts,,, one must take it even if his mode of study is english,, bcaz wen the interviwer at the embassy will without ielts score,,and if u r not able to make him/her convince a point,,he might not aaprove u a visa..so there is no problem in givin ielts,,as a better score might add to ur points adn u can easily score good around 7.

PANKAJ

hey ppl

i wanted to know how is the READING UNIVERSITY rated ...whether it is a good university....and how it is been accepted by the job ppl in uk .

reading university had come to my city and there were taking ppl without ielts ....is there any drwaback in going to uk without ielts .....or it's perfectly ok ....

vinvin and all u ppl ..who hav been much into the uk university scenario kindly help ...

vinvin , i have been reading ur posts .....it seems u had prepared for the statement of purpose ..if u could suggest me some good sites where i can prepare an sop ..for my self too ....

waiting for help
thanxs

hey vin ,i dun think it's gonna cost bomb my seniors have gone thier im not the only one, it is no where gonna cost 30-40 lakhs,anyway thnx for suggestion ,regarding roi ,i think after gaining some work wont be a problem .

hey man sorry for the delayed reply, my sys crashed,
anyways am attaching a copy of books we will be provided there,
also i hav blocked my tickets, will confirm it in a week or 2's time after i get my visa,

hi,, vinod,,

its been nice that u need not 2 worry abt ths books,,, but it will be helpful for all of us ,, and can u plz post it,, so that we 4nds hav a look.

thnx again,,,,and wen r u guys,, bookin ur tickets,, i had enquire that its easily available and i m goin to book it after i applied 4 visa,,/

PANKAJ

Hey dushyant man u forgot to mention Cardiff a 5 rated school,

go to www.hero.ac.uk
you will find the RAE atings there. all business schools with ratings of 5 or 5* are superb. good placements too. LSE? if u get a course in Saliva management there its worth it tooo!
bath, manchester, leeds, cranfield, warwick, imperial etc are all very good. keep posting!
dushyant

And Rahul,

great to see someone applying for LSE a 6* school, but it will cost u a bomb (anywhere between 30-40 lakhs atleast) and more so as u plan to come back, let me tell u the ROI might not be that good, but if u got the money and determination then wud suggest go for it man !!!
hey

go to www.hero.ac.uk
you will find the RAE atings there. all business schools with ratings of 5 or 5* are superb. good placements too. LSE? if u get a course in Saliva management there its worth it tooo!
bath, manchester, leeds, cranfield, warwick, imperial etc are all very good. keep posting!
dushyant

thanx man ,i went through website quite useful ,but right now targeting on lse,oxford this year ,more concerned abt getting job in india after coming back(dun want to stay there) ,right now in final year in iitm ,will apply for 2006 .

hey

go to www.hero.ac.uk
dushyant

hey ppl want to know abt msc management in lse ,hows programme like wat are chances of getting in it and how are job prospects in india after that ,
i also want to know about oxford sbs ,master's in financial economics hows this programme like ,where else can i find a 1 year programme like msc management
waiting for ur responses

hey

yet another question for this bulging thread!
how good is the option of taking up msc's in lesser known business schools in the uk?
by lesser known i mean:

leeds METROPOLITAN university
oxford BROOKES universoty
etc

i basically want to refer to those universities that are not in the top 10 or say 20 in the uk.
someone told me that even iim doesnt feature in the top 200 ofthe world, but still has great placements! so wud it be ok to take up a lesser known university that too for a MSc?

rack ur brains and experience guys...

dushyant

hi,, vinod,,

its been nice that u need not 2 worry abt ths books,,, but it will be helpful for all of us ,, and can u plz post it,, so that we 4nds hav a look.

thnx again,,,,and wen r u guys,, bookin ur tickets,, i had enquire that its easily available and i m goin to book it after i applied 4 visa,,/

PANKAJ

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

49 people follow this discussion.