Free CAT Questions

You get official solutions with each question, and our insights to help you track your preparation.

Click here!

MBA in India

• Created by @Apurv
Day 0 kicked off with participants being taken for a day long ride for some shopping and sight-seeing in Ahmedabad. We were told quite a few participants went for the same. Yours truly had just arrived on campus and had other "important" work to d... Read More »
View more posts in MBA in India

Why has IIM-C revised PGP admissions results and put students on hold?

imageThe Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta (IIM-C) has declared the revised final admissions list for the 2009-11 Post Graduate Programme (PGP) with approximately 100 students who had secured confirmed admissions as per the results declared by the institute on April 10, 2009 being put on hold.

We spoke to Admissions Charperson at IIM Calcutta Prof Subrata Mitra and this is the explanation he offered: All the IIMs release PGP admissions results with the number of admission offers exceeding the maximum intake for the program. Why? Because usually, some students with confirmed admissions choose to not accept the offer while some accept the offer and withdraw later. This year, IIM-C observed that the number of common names between the admissions lists of various IIMs has reduced as compared to recent years. The institute realised that the number of students who accept admissions offers could exceed the maximum intake for PGP admissions. Hence, the number of confirmed admissions offers was reduced and certain students were put on hold.

Hence the admission list was revised.

Prof Mitra told PaGaLGuY.com, aThis year, IIM-C can accommodate a maximum of 408 students for PGP admissions. As far as infrastructure is concerned, it is a tight situation here at IIM-C. Hence, the number of offers made has been reduced and certain students have been put on hold.a

On being asked to clarify the status of students put on hold, Mr Mitra said, aThese students are on a higher priority as compared to the waitlisted students. Students on hold who are contacting the institute over phone are being told their rank on the on hold list. This is a peculiar situation. It is not a normal position and this is the reason for on hold ranks not being displayed on the website.a

He further said, aThere will be a meeting on Tuesday to reassess the situation. May 1, 2009 is the deadline for students to confirm admission at IIM-C and by then we would know the exact shortfall. After May 1, offers will be made to students starting from the top of the on hold list."

Apart from the 100 odd students who have been put on hold, approximately 100 students across various categories have been waitlisted. The institute said that the number of students which currently hold confirmed admissions offers is confidential.

Edit: We had stated in the earlier report on PGP admissions at IIM-C that 408 students had been named in the results declared on April 10, 2009 whereas the figure refers to the maximum intake for this yearas admissions. The error is regretted.

Update: The Telegraph, a Kolkata based newspaper reported on April 13 that IIM-C has reduced a list of 700 selected candidates by almost 100. We have confirmed with the Admissions Chairperson at IIM-C that close to 700 students were given confirmed admissions offers when the PGP admissions results were first declared.

• 12Comments
  • @live2die; ever heard of 'zero-defect'. Japanese manageme.... 16 Apr '09.
  • This is not fair for a branded institute.. 07 May '09.
  12 Comments
anonymous
@anonymous 24
Hi All, Mr. Rith Basu, Correspondent with the "Daily Telegraph" is doing a story on why IIM C has put 100 selected students of IIM C on Hold. Those who want to share their views with him may do so on his mobile: Help him to help yourselves. Regards An anxious parent
anonymous
@anonymous 24
so sad!....the practice of buffer calls finally seem to be coming back to haunt them!...
anonymous
@anonymous 24
I don't understand this concept of buffer calls when they already have a waiting list with them... The waiting lists ensure that no seat will anyway go wasted so why give buffer calls in the first place??
anonymous
@anonymous 24
The admits and employers, now need to understand that how badly IIMC is managed. The CEO and academic administrators are from academics. And the skill which they demonstrate in managing their affair is evident. Does it qualify them to be instructors? Poor managers will reproduce only poor managers.One can extend it to poor governance in corporate world.Admits buckle up for the country's sake not to learn badly at the institute and allow IIMC to manage your money badly.Parents also need to be awake.
anonymous
@anonymous 24
What is important is to realise the mistake, correct it and never let it happen again. And am sure IIMC will achieve these goals. @Sajjansin: Ever heard of 'Blowing out of proportions' thing ?? That's precisely what you are doing .. grow up and PLEASE talk sense .
anonymous
@anonymous 24
@live2die : bro it seems easy to say that for u, coz u aren't a victim of this fiasco. Being rejected is bad enuff. Being accepted and then rejected is cruel. Moreover, I, a victim of this controversy, would still have understood if IIMC had bothered to call us/email us and inform. They didn't even make an official press statement yet. Don't you think that this is unprofessional? We all make mistakes. IIMC did too. Still understandable. Its been 5 days and still no contact from their side? Definitely NOT understandable. Is Pagalguy our official forum to stay in touch with IIMC? Well I'm a regular Puy, but what about all those people who aren't, and don't know any, and who didn't bother to check the result after 10th? Normally people don't go and see the result again right? People may have rejected admits to other Bschools, may have taken important decisions based on the knowledge that they are through, like resigning from their jobs. This is NOT okay. IIMC which is a premier management institute is 1)Not expected to make goof-ups of this magnitude. 2) If they DO goof up, they are expected to handle it much more maturely than they are. An official explanation was expected. Atleast a Notification to all the people put on hold was DEFINITELY EXPECTED. Moreover, IIMC isn't making things easy by keeping things shrouded behind a veil of mystery. They still refuse to divulge Information regarding how many buffer calls have they given NOW!.. Atleast now that they have made this goofup the least they can do is maintain some transparency about what is the current scenario? Why are they still reluctant about giving out info? IIMA and B , even K declare the number of buffer calls they give out every year, but because of some mysterious logic IIMC things it has to keep this info confidential. I had no problems had I been outright accepted, rejected or waitlisted, but in my position where "My admission has been put On Hold", I demand to know what is going on. Moreover, They don't even divulge ur "On hold Priority number" on the website! When they say this is a sort of a waitlist, why all the drama about not giving their number on the site? If you call them, they give u the number. Is this supposed to be the right channel? Moreover all this info about how many calls they had given and how many people they've taken now, they refuse to tell that to us, but tell it to PG or journalists. Are we, the affected ones, supposed to keep ourselves abreast of developments regarding our future using these forums? A food for thot live2die. So before asking people to Grow up and talk sense, I suggest the institute u are backing grows up and acts sensibly and more responsibly. I hope they act more accountably to people.
anonymous
@anonymous 24
@MeraNumberAyega: I totally agree with you. @live2die: this is not the first time. Starting from the CAT paper leak about 5 years ago, the IIMs have made it clear that they have little respect for CAT and admissions. Be it mistakes in the CAT paper or goof ups like this. Not repeating mistakes? That doesn't seem to happen. In the last 5 years or so, the IIMs don't seem to have learnt anything from their mistakes. I can't imagine a leading school in the US or EU goofing up at such regular intervals. I think I've said this before; the IIMs are fast becoming like any other sarkari office. And now the myth of IIMs offering top jobs has been crushed. An IIM MBA is as good as the job market. I wonder why somebody with the skills and the aspirations to be successful would waste two years of his/her life in an institute which is run unprofessionally, charges hefty fees, compromises on admissions standards courtesy Govt intervention and where placements are only as good as everywhere else.
anonymous
@anonymous 24
@live2die; ever heard of 'zero-defect'. Japanese management mastered it possibly inn 80s.